Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 672.
#6401 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sure and Lorne Greene died back in the 1980s too.
Why not do Bonanza as well? Anybody up for a HossLE?

Screw Bonanza I was hoping for Gunsmoke.
Miss Kitty or Festus multiball would be amazing!!!

#6402 4 years ago

Honestly I hope the non-licensed themes are compelling because it feels like DR is in competition with AP for king of the mediocre themes.

#6403 4 years ago

Gunsmoke

Winchester Model 1892 mode -> sharpshoot 12 targets in 5 seconds to live and fight another day.

#6404 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I’m a Gunsmoke fan. Learned right from wrong by listening to Lawman Lucas McCain. We only know a few of Deeproot’s 13 titles. The others will by definition be a surprise. If one was Gunsmoke, I wouldn’t be surprised.
[quoted image]

Fire and brimstone ...I can’t wait to hear what Ben heck has to say about that !

#6405 4 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Screw Bonanza I was hoping for Gunsmoke.
Miss Kitty or Festus multiball would be amazing!!!

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#6406 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I still watch all three regularly.

They are already in Texas, so it just makes sense.

dallas (resized).jpgdallas (resized).jpg
#6407 4 years ago

The biggest bombshell to me was the playfield testing that they did, he says the dimple issue is a quality/engineering issue. A few of us have been saying that for a while. According to Robert they tested their pfs with hammer and no dimples no mark what so ever.

#6408 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

They are already in Texas, so it just makes sense.[quoted image]

These are about the only cowboys pinball might give us these days.

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
#6409 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The “small batch” model doesn’t work because its too inefficient and increases per unit costs. You can make it work... you will just have much higher costs per unit, much higher overhead, much lower throughput, and thus much higher prices.

Small batch DOES work. Actually the "optimal" batch size is the best and that's not a large batch. Large batch is inefficient and costly. Large batch thinking is a hold over from the industrial revolution. Large batch means you carry expensive inventory on your books. It's harder to pivot to a new line when your set up for large batches. From a Lean-agile perspective, do to the smallest, most valuable thing first. Companies that create the infrastructure to execute in this fashion may very well eat their competition before they realize they're getting eaten.

#6410 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

He mentioned a licensed game that's in the pipeline after saying what a huge fan he is of Battlestar Gallactica.

The Battlestar Galactica reboot was quite good and with the right assets could be a very compelling theme. Bring on some BSG, Deeproot... I'm down!
20191120_181453 (resized).jpg20191120_181453 (resized).jpg

#6411 4 years ago

Just to be clear...Nothing against the original classic BSG either...

BG_000 (resized).jpgBG_000 (resized).jpg
#6412 4 years ago

"What a mess"
"It's a prototype"
"I WANT TO MAKE FUN OF IT BEING A PROTOTYPE"
"I hate Robert"
"The flippers are weak"
"You can't read."
"The flippers are weak."
"It's a dumpster fire."
"It's a prototype"
"The plastic mecs are too cheap"
"The font has too thick of a stroke"
"Everyone here hates pinball"
"I hate pinside"
"Me too."

#6413 4 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Just to be clear...Nothing against the original classic BSG either...

I'll see your original BSG and raise you one original Bonanza.

download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpgdownload (3) (resized).jpgdownload (3) (resized).jpgdownload (4) (resized).jpgdownload (4) (resized).jpg
#6414 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Small batch DOES work. Actually the "optimal" batch size is the best and that's not a large batch. Large batch is inefficient and costly. Large batch thinking is a hold over from the industrial revolution. Large batch means you carry expensive inventory on your books. It's harder to pivot to a new line when your set up for large batches. From a Lean-agile perspective, do to the smallest, most valuable thing first. Companies that create the infrastructure to execute in this fashion may very well eat their competition before they realize they're getting eaten.

The entire frame of reference for this discussion is PINBALL. So 'large' or 'small' means what it means in PINBALL. "large" means units in the 200-500 range, small means dozens.

People are not carrying large game specific inventory when doing the 'large' batch because the batch is large enough to consume the minimum orders... while the small batch is not. The small batch is the one carrying inventory or suffering ordering in inefficient quantities frequently.

The 'large' size in this discussion is already the 'optimal' size because it's the size that has been proven over time to be the balance between efficiency and float risk.

Keep things in context... we're talking about pinball here.

#6415 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll see your original BSG and raise you one original Bonanza.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'll see your Bonanza and raise you one Lorne Greene Alpo Time dog food commercial.

#6416 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I'll see your Bonanza and raise you one Lorne Greene Alpo Time dog food commercial.

"Only the best for my pup, not a spec of cereal"

#6417 4 years ago

I always liked Chuck Conners as the Rifleman too. And Wagon Train was alright too. Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen ...

Gunsmoke would probably make the best pin though.

#6418 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I always liked Chuck Conners as the Rifleman too. And Wagon Train was alright too. Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen ...

I don't sit in the chair and watch them, but if I'm out in the garage, I've got METV on while I'm working on my games. They show most on weekdays, and do the complete lineup on Saturdays.

Wanted Dead or Alive is certainly one of my favorites along with Rawhide and Wagon Train.

#6419 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

WTB: Three green triangles.

Classic...

I think "three green triangles" should be added to the official Pinside lexicon. Kinda like Fanta and select deli meats.

Does anyone have a link to that thread by the way? I can never find stuff with the Pinside search.

#6420 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

All great shows! I was battling a serious medical condition last year and had a lot of down time even though I still worked half days. There wasn’t much on tv no matter what time of day it was and those shows all helped me stay sane.
Quality television programming!

#6421 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

"Only the best for my pup, not a spec of cereal"

But Lorne didn't make it to Atari 2600, Chuck Wagon did.

no_lorne (resized).jpgno_lorne (resized).jpg
#6422 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

But Lorne didn't make it to Atari 2600, Chuck Wagon did.

And Lorne didn't make it as a mad bomber, Chuck Conners did.

c1fe1443f834a9f3214d1e3b74e2a7b0 (resized).jpgc1fe1443f834a9f3214d1e3b74e2a7b0 (resized).jpg
#6423 4 years ago

This thread has taken an unsavory turn!

Odin wants every thread to be That 70s thread!

#6424 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That might just work.

5C428989-F595-4DF6-8CD5-716D20A73A36.gif5C428989-F595-4DF6-8CD5-716D20A73A36.gif7276E9B4-6551-4F9C-AA3E-E534EC642735.gif7276E9B4-6551-4F9C-AA3E-E534EC642735.gif
#6425 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey man, I'm not the one that brought up the antique 1970s Sci Fi show. Might as well have been Buck Rogers with that "biddy biddy" sidekick.

I'm still down for Sledge Hammer!! though.

#6426 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Robert just called Zombie Yeti’s art work on the original RAZA a “Hack Job”, do you want to comment on that?
Robert will crash and burn as he sounds like a total douche bag...

Let me, let me!

He ALSO said their own playfield art is an awful hackjob as well (wich should let you make think what he means by that - I give you a hint it's not the art but arranging it to the shots), and calls ZY an incredible (2D) Artist. (So mean!!!)

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

We are the customer and rule #1 in any successful business is listen to your customer.

Is that a royal "we", since you're definately not a customer guessing from your tone?

"We" is not "Pinside" either I guess, since Robert also said his greatest achievement he did in pinball is to retire from pinside, wich he referred to as a "sewer".

All that shows he really is a quick learner; Steve Ritchie took much longer till he called pinside "cancer".

#6427 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Robert also said his greatest achievement he did in pinball is to retire from pinside”

A low bar!

Alienating their largest potential customer base is certainly innovating, though. A marketing breakthrough that worked great for Homepin.

#6428 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

A low bar!
Alienating their largest potential customer base is certainly innovative, though. A marketing breakthrough that worked great for Homepin.

#6432 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Saw the Mads, Frank Conniff and Trace Beaulieu riff this a couple years back. Not a bad flick on it's own.

#6433 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Let me, let me!
He ALSO said their own playfield art is an awful hackjob as well (wich should let you make think what he means by that - I give you a hint it's not the art but arranging it to the shots), and calls ZY an incredible (2D) Artist. (So mean!!!)

Is that a royal "we", since you're definately not a customer guessing from your tone?
"We" is not "Pinside" either I guess, since Robert also said his greatest achievement he did in pinball is to retire from pinside, wich he referred to as a "sewer".
All that shows he really is a quick learner; Steve Ritchie took much longer till he called pinside "cancer".

Is that you Robert????

#6434 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

A low bar!
Alienating their largest potential customer base is certainly innovating, though. A marketing breakthrough that worked great for Homepin.

Do you honestly believe that Pinsiders are deeproot’s or any other pinball company’s largest potential customer base???

#6435 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Do you honestly believe that Pinsiders are deeproot’s or any other pinball company’s largest potential customer base???

62.000 pinsiders even if there's a lot of inactive accounts, most likely a lot of operators here, a big portion of serial buyers, I would say treating Pinside well can have a significant impact on a pinball company.
Then there is google and with the numbers of pages and word count that Pinside has on each brand, the link often shows up on first page.

#6436 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

There is no larger collection of pinball buyers anywhere. It would make sense to work with Pinside than call it, and the people on it, names.

#6437 4 years ago

Ony thing I "officially" get out from that podcast, is that Robert more & more refrains from that "Ferrari for Fiat" price statement.

They want to offer the best "value", aka. "best bang for the buck"...

...that of course is nice but still it'd be great not to fish in the same pond as everybody else (incomewise) and offer a cheaper alternative to a Stern Pro, to get other -new- segments of people into pinball.

(They just have to expand the market if they all want to stay in business and healthy.)

Well I'd guess no Stern Pro priced Magic Girl for me...

#6438 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Ony thing I "officially" get out from that podcast, is that Robert more & more refrains from that "Ferrari for Fiat" price statement.
They want to offer the best "value", aka. "best bang for the buck"...
...that of course is nice but still it'd be great not to fish in the same pond as everybody else (incomewise) and offer a cheaper alternative to a Stern Pro, to get other -new- segments of people into pinball.
(They just have to expand the market if they all want to stay in business and healthy.)

You still don’t get it.

In 2019 you can’t sell a modern, full feature commercial pinball machine for under stern pro pricing and still make a profit.

Inflation adjusted it’s pretty much the same as they’ve always cost.

#6439 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Robert more & more refrains from that "Ferrari for Fiat" price statement.

I expect we'll more be seeing Fiero at Ferrari pricing.

#6440 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

A low bar!

Pinside is not their "largest potential customer base", it is insignificant. There may be reason for DR to sift through the rubbish posts in here, but there is certainly no need for them to be posting here. Information is much easier to release elswhere, somewhere that trolls are in the minority. Good move ditching pinside imho.

#6441 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You still don’t get it.
In 2019 you can’t sell a modern, full feature commercial pinball machine for under stern pro pricing and still make a profit.
Inflation adjusted it’s pretty much the same as they’ve always cost.

How about at pro pricing or a wee bit more? Btw, love the new chair. It fits your decor nicely.

#6442 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Pinside is not their "largest potential customer base", it is insignificant. There may be reason for DR to sift through the rubbish posts in here, but there is certainly no need for them to be posting here. Information is much easier to release elswhere, somewhere that trolls are in the minority. Good move ditching pinside imho.

Couldn’t agree more. I enjoy Pinside but it is like reading the tabloids at times with the same core group dominating the posts. There is good information within the forum but you have to sort through a lot of bs.

#6443 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You still don’t get it.

As someone who'd internationally optimized manufacturing & development processes in automotive companies:

It is possible.

With upfront investment to innovate (wich seems to have been done) and (this is where I see the bigger hurdle) "mass production" to a degree that much more processes can be automated.

To be honest I may be even more interested how they'll set up/ innovate (if they innovate) their "line" then in their product.

But yes, if they decide to manufacture games the same way Stern does, they can't possibly go cheaper.
Especially since they propably won't sell as many machines, so less machines have to pay for a kinda fixed development cost and lower part orders result in higher prices.

No need to judge that now.
We'll see. For my part I'm intrigued.

#6444 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

62.000 pinsiders even if there's a lot of inactive accounts, most likely a lot of operators here, a big portion of serial buyers, I would say treating Pinside well can have a significant impact on a pinball company.
Then there is google and with the numbers of pages and word count that Pinside has on each brand, the link often shows up on first page.

Of the 62,000 registered Pinsiders I believe the number of “regulars” is a very small percentage of that. Stern alone is making approximately 30,000 new pins a year so I do believe Pinsiders are not as significant as many on here believe they are.

#6445 4 years ago

Excellent, entertaining and interesting interview by Kaneda. Whatever happened with the "Jpop" guy in the past is none of my business and whatever happens with Deeproot going forward is none of my concern. Looking forward to playing any pinball machines they manufacture and make available for sale.

I'm in the pinball playing hobby, all this other drama and nonsense on Pinside about it is just pure entertainment for me.

#6446 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Of the 62,000 registered Pinsiders I believe the number of “regulars” is a very small percentage of that. Stern alone is making approximately 30,000 new pins a year so I do believe Pinsiders are not as significant as many on here believe they are.

Pinside is not the whole pinball market but every Pinsider is a potential customer.

But of the numbers, as you said only a very small percentage are active and an even smaller percentage of that the constantly nagging type... who take everything Deeproot/ Robert says personally while the remaining 99% don't give a sh**.

#6447 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

It takes money to be a Stern, when you start from scratch using some loud leverage is a good way to take off without putting millions in marketing.

So wether determining or not, going against Pinside is a dumb business move.

I don’t even think Robert decided to ignore Pinside, he just totally took it the wrong way and slammed himself.

#6448 4 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

How about at pro pricing or a wee bit more? Btw, love the new chair. It fits your decor nicely.

It’s going to destroy my social life. Hard to leave the apartment.

#6449 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Stern alone is making approximately 30,000 new pins a year

So more than Bally/Williams did in 1995 with 9 different titles? Kinda hard to believe if you ask me.

That's almost 100 a day boxed up and out the door.

Edited for math.

#6450 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Pinside is not the whole pinball market but every Pinsider is a potential customer.
But of the numbers, as you said only a very small percentage are active and an even smaller percentage of that the constantly nagging type... who take everything Deeproot/ Robert says personally while the remaining 99% don't give a sh**.

Agreed...very good points.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/129 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.