Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 672.
#6201 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have not played it, but if it's as much a Stern pro, I don't see it selling too well.

This are going to be a lot more to purchase then a Stern pro!

#6202 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The biggest thing deeproot screwed up was revealing this prototype the way they did.
Now we have crummy cell phone footage (no offense, thanks for sharing), a lot of people heavily dissecting a prototype, and the first impression for many in the core market has been made and it was underwhelming to say the least. Now it’s endless speculation about the price of a retail product based on an working prototype with poor messaging.
I get they needed feedback and some location testing, but there are better ways to do it.

Based on feedback at the show by those who played it, the response has been waaaay more positive than negative, top 100 players liked it even if it isn't finished, I think it's hard based on those videos for those NOT in attendance to get a Real feel , they are holding back on purpose that was made clear, TPF will scream volumes

#6203 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The biggest thing deeproot screwed up was revealing this prototype the way they did.
Now we have crummy cell phone footage (no offense, thanks for sharing), a lot of people heavily dissecting a prototype, and the first impression for many in the core market has been made and it was underwhelming to say the least. Now it’s endless speculation about the price of a retail product based on an working prototype with poor messaging.
I get they needed feedback and some location testing, but there are better ways to do it.

My biggest question is why are they using badly printed filament 3D printed parts on their show machines? Sure, rapid prototype them in-house on filament printers, but use nicer, higher-res resin printers for the parts you're bringing to the show. None of the parts are that large, most of them could have been done on a $400 or less resin printer. Buy 5 or 6 of them for $2-3 grand and print a machine's worth of high-res 3D parts that look nice in half a day, then use the other half of the day to print backup parts in case some break. One day, 6 better printers, much better reveal first impression contribution would be made. Why didn't they do this?

#6204 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

Personally, I think they knock it out of the park at TPF

I sure as hell hope so... actually counting on it. I'd like something resembling the game I signed up for.
I wouldn't mind them tossing in the glue gun...

ben (resized).jpgben (resized).jpg

#6205 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My biggest question is why are they using badly printed filament 3D printed parts on their show machines? Sure, rapid prototype them in-house on filament printers, but use nicer, higher-res resin printers for the parts you're bringing to the show. None of the parts are that large, most of them could have been done on a $400 or less resin printer. Buy 5 or 6 of them for $2-3 grand and print a machine's worth of high-res 3D parts that look nice in half a day, then use the other half of the day to print backup parts in case some break. One day, 6 better printers, much better reveal first impression contribution would be made. Why didn't they do this?

I heard the game was a "prototype"?

#6206 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

So is WWE.

#6208 4 years ago
#6209 4 years ago

Time for a short YouTube PYT break.

#6210 4 years ago

I hate you, pinside. More each day.

#6211 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Of course. I don't expect 3D printed parts in the final machine, either. But they could easily have made much better-looking printed parts for their prototype that would have made a much better initial impression.

#6212 4 years ago

Pinside logic:

“That guy is a novice double flipper!!”
<novice player makes the steep ramp shot>
“The ramp is unmakeable and a complete design flaw”

#6213 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Of course. I don't expect 3D printed parts in the final machine, either. But they could easily have made much better-looking printed parts for their prototype that would have made a much better initial impression.

Out of all the other issues I doubt if the 3D printer quality was even on most player's radars.

To zoom in on them like we see in the close-up pics you'd literally have to press your face against the glass.

I think your boob "complaint" (or observation) was more on target

#6214 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think they are trying to press their point about current sub standard, or poor value, offerings in the world of NIB pinball.... and taking it to the next level.... whilst still managing to bring out a machine people enjoyed playing.

I think the "saucer on a spring" will not be in a production version, and is simply paying homage to "Tie Fighter On A Spring"-gate.

It seems they excelled at their goals, generally speaking.

#6215 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I think the "saucer on a spring" will not be in a production version, and is simply paying homage to "Tie Fighter On A Spring"-gate.

Well you have a more charitable outlook on that trinket than I did. But I like that... I can't help feeling positive about the whole thing myself. Of course it may be these pills I've been taking.

It would be cool if they could just have the saucer float with a magnet like the desktop floating globes and saucers.

Yeah it must be the pills

----

#6216 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Out of all the other issues I doubt if the 3D printer quality was even on most player's radars.
To zoom in on them like we see in the close-up pics you'd literally have to press your face against the glass.
I think your boob "complaint" (or observation) was more on target

Why can't we have both?

My point was the amount of effort to cast those with a cheap resin printer in MUCH higher resolution is not a whole lot more than what they expended to make them look crappy with a filament printer. Given both paths and the importance of the prototype reveal, why not put your best foot forward for very little money and not much more effort?

That said, I like many of the whimsical touches shown, and look forward to being able to play it to form an opinion about it in person.

#6217 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Why can't we have both?
My point was the amount of effort to cast those with a cheap resin printer in MUCH higher resolution is not a whole lot more than what they expended to make them look crappy with a filament printer. Given both paths and the importance of the prototype reveal, why not put your best foot forward for very little money and not much more effort?
That said, I like many of the whimsical touches shown, and look forward to being able to play it to form an opinion about it in person.

I suspect he was going for, and trying to Emphasise "Cheap/sub standard"... like as a Goal! .... deliberately making things as cheap and crappy as posible, whilst still bringing an enjoyable playable game.

As he said "on par with other manufacturers curent offerings" ... I mean, I think you'll find they could have had schmick 3D prints, but that would not fit with the "cheap/poor value" theme he was aiming for as a Goal.

I think this is meant to be not just a prototype, but a Statement.... and shot across the bow of the likes of stern .... a bit of a cocky "dig" of sorts, perhaps. But all the while keeping the big cards concealed, ready to blow the industry wide open in march. If they come out with JJP level for 5k it is not just stern that will be in panic mode, but JJP as well.

Taking such a viewpoint kinda makes a whole lotta crap make a whole lot more sense, and can not help being excited about what this could all become.

Still no sense in holding our breaths, of course! Lol

I sense a price point between 4990 and 5490... for the Fully Featured Final Production RAZA "PREMIUM" (with all the bells whistes extra ramp feeds and toys that this "pro" was missing).

#6218 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Well you have a more charitable outlook on that trinket than I did. But I like that... I can't help feeling positive about the whole thing myself. Of course it may be these pills I've been taking.
It would be cool if they could just have the saucer float with a magnet like the desktop floating globes and saucers.
Yeah it must be the pills
----

I think the saucer on a spring is Rubbish. Just as with the tie fighter. But I see it as I think RM intends, as a placeholder, and showing how any tom, dick or harry can produce $#!t! ....

"Here it is, $#!+ on purpose, for our first prototype 'pro'! ... do you like it?"

The answer from players seemed to be a cautious "yes".

And they are deliberately stripping it out and trying to make it bare bones, but still fun. I think they have been successful at that mission.

The big question is.... does what is "under wraps" actually exist? ..... well, I am beginning to think it just might actually exist.... all that has been hyped about...

#6219 4 years ago

JPoop
Next please

Bring the other four days of pinball!

#6220 4 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

JPoop
Next please
Bring the other four days of pinball!

4+2=5 ... ??

Goes with the pinside theme I guess, not making much sense.... still plenty of people with no clue needing to do alot of reading, it seems.

You've lost me Pmsl

#6221 4 years ago

edit...deleted....forget it...pointless

#6222 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Pinside logic:
“That guy is a novice double flipper!!”
&lt;novice player makes the steep ramp shot&gt;
“The ramp is unmakeable and a complete design flaw”

From reading the thread, that seems pretty damn spot on! ... Gold!

... along with the gem from DSnadine on pinside logic....

Poster: There's going to be three green triangles!
Reply: Fuken Awesome!!! ... What shape and colour will they be? ... and how many??

#6223 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I sure as hell hope so... actually counting on it. I'd like something resembling the game I signed up for.
I wouldn't mind them tossing in the glue gun...
[quoted image]

Over 2 years for this

Why would the flipper power be reduced ?

Where is Ben Heck ???

#6224 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Over 2 years for this
Why would the flipper power be reduced ?
Where is Ben Heck ???

Maybe to simulate the gameplay of a game that's been thrashed for 2000 plays?

But who knows really...

#6225 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

$2-3 grand and print a machine's worth of high-res 3D parts that look nice

Quoted from razorsedge:

I suspect he was going for, and trying to Emphasise "Cheap/sub standard"... like as a Goal! .... deliberately making things as cheap and crappy as posible

If they couldn't be bothered putting new Flipper rubbers on for it's maiden reveal why would they bother with anything else .
If they were trying to make it look as cheap and crappy as possible they succeeded .

#6226 4 years ago

Why wouldn't they do a short promo video highlighting it's features like Zack did for Wonka and have Steve Bowen there demonstrating it and explaining the rules , it would have gone a long way to improving people's first impressions . Presentation is everything .

#6227 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I sorta thought the same thing, but I also thought about the fact that resin printers "can" take much longer to print (not ideal during crunch time), plus resin printers are nasty to deal with compared to FDM. Of course that's not to say someone couldn't email the file to an outside printing service. Hell there's a ton of companies that will not only print it, but sand it and paint it and make it look like a production part (I've done it for work).

#6228 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

the fact that resin printers "can" take much longer to print (not ideal during crunch time),

Longer than a couple of years ?

#6229 4 years ago

Wait a minute!!!! The RAZA game in the video was a prototype????? Oh man, how could I have been so foolish??? It makes total sense now, they probably left out like 50% of the game on that prototype, so they could test it at a later date. I would like to take this time to take back every negative thing I have ever said about JJP. I had no idea the RAZA shown was a prototype??

#6230 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Wait a minute!!!! The RAZA game in the video was a prototype????? Oh man, how could I have been so foolish??? It makes total sense now, they probably left out like 50% of the game on that prototype, so they could test it at a later date. I would like to take this time to take back every negative thing I have ever said about JJP. I had no idea the RAZA shown was a prototype??

Apparently it is a prototype , once it's in the new cabinet has new art and the ball makes it up the ramp it's going to be the best pin ever

#6231 4 years ago

Why wasn't it a stronger reveal? According to DR, they have ridiculously deep pockets. Ridiculously deep pockets and this is your first pinball reveal to the world? I'm sensing not-so-deep pockets and a whole lot of bluster/fingers crossed that they make it.

Some ideas on marketing concerns, when you are trying to solicit sales from an extremely discriminating audience, in an oversaturated/perhaps peaked market:

1. It had better be ready to come off the line in mass production, like a Stern that's just been revealed/teased...not within the better part of a year when it's ancient history (Oktoberfest, anyone?).

2. This WAS your reveal. Prototype, or not. We are now waiting for the Next Perfect Magic Machine.

3. The market is oversaturated. NIB buyers are slowing down. That crazy arc of excitement from the past few years has perhaps peaked. NIB buyers are running out of money, room and perhaps unwilling to sell that Fish Tales like we used to...to purchase yet another untested NIB. (Heck...that old FT was more fun than the Munsters that replaced it!). And PF/quality concerns. NIB sales are slowing.

4. In 2020, when you "re-reveal", you will be heading into the headwinds of: Stern: Stranger Things(!); Led Zep(!) and other desirable, licenced themed pins that will be immediately released. Guns 'n Roses/JJP/Eric M. Spooky: Scotty D's HH Party. Possibly American will figure out how to produce a killer machine? And God knows what else?? (the latest, greatest thing)...probably something awesome, like that Canadian dude's Nightmare Before Christmas produced by Chicago Gaming with artwork by Chris Franchi? You never know what you will be up against in this market and the competition is getting beyond fierce.

Just sayin...for a company who claims they have insanely deep pockets and wants to compete with the Big Boys, this was a weak "reveal".

Doesn't mean it won't be a good, fun game. Doesn't even mean I'm not curious and might even purchase one.

#6232 4 years ago

Well, I truly hope that DR does not disappoint me again and not show up at TPF. I went this year for the '5 days of DR' and as we all know, they stood us up. I just booked my non refundable flights and hotel for 2020's TPF believing again that DR will be there with a RAZA and who knows what else. Come on DR, let's 'git er done'! I got my check book ready and I hope DR is too.

#6233 4 years ago

I was thinking that they might be creating intentional variation between the machines to solicit feedback in multiple scenarios. Ones in a bright location, the other is in a darker location. One has weak flippers, the other has stronger ones.

Just a thought.

#6234 4 years ago

On a sidenote this is a photo of a “prototype“ game I have been working on.

Key word “prototype“ should buy me time.

0FF5F21E-0A0A-4E70-98DA-8DB75DC4D106 (resized).jpeg0FF5F21E-0A0A-4E70-98DA-8DB75DC4D106 (resized).jpeg
#6235 4 years ago

Well I couldn't help but have a bit of a play with what could possibly be added without really changing the layout, and considering some things said about the code:

Steven Bowden - TWIP interview:

"However, connected to this is an X-story “tower” (not revealing how large “X” is) of other, more focused activities to accomplish where you can go deeper into the story… . You can have lots of fun hanging out in the base areas of the Adventureland, but what could be at the top of this hypothetical tower?"

So I'm guessing this somehow would tie to a "Tower Mech", a physical location on the playfield, and the 4 inserts above flippers. Also something pretty Suss!! ... the Total lack of inserts right between the slings, perfectly sized for a display?. That "NED" is certainly going to need to be animated at least, and maybe some interactivity or additional mech as well.

Here's my theoretical "premium RAZA" by covering a pic in grafiti lol

RAZAguesses (resized).pngRAZAguesses (resized).png

#6236 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Well I couldn't help but have a bit of a play with what could possibly be added without really changing the layout, and considering some things said about the code:
"However, connected to this is an X-story “tower” (not revealing how large “X” is) of other, more focused activities to accomplish where you can go deeper into the story… . You can have lots of fun hanging out in the base areas of the Adventureland, but what could be at the top of this hypothetical tower?"
So I'm guessing this somehow would tie to a "Tower Mech", a physical location on the playfield, and the 4 inserts above flippers. Also something pretty Suss!! ... the Total lack of inserts right between the slings, perfectly sized for a display?. That "NED" is certainly going to need to be animated at least, and maybe some interactivity or additional mech as well.
[quoted image]

great. It seems like we'll have 4 months of ideas of potential missing reveals!
I feel like extra display and animated tech are good leads as well.

(At lease now we have a pin to discuss... )

#6238 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Time for a short YouTube PYT break.

Glad somebody caught this

#6239 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Maybe to simulate the gameplay of a game that's been thrashed for 2000 plays?
But who knows really...

I am not sure what our exact science is on plungers and flipper mechanics failing but 2000 plays should not be the gauge for failure rate. We have sites that go through 2000 plays in less than one month. If the game breaks down that quickly then I feel there is a QC issue. All manufacturers of late have had issues but I feel this had to be made aware to the manufacturer and it should have been corrected. Save if the unit has unique flipper mechs this is easily solved.

#6240 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

[quoted image]

Pretty good mockup you've deduced so far and am reposting it as is. I suspect the ramp will incorporate a yet to be seen diverter mech allowing for player-controlled ball exit to left or right return ramps.

If dr builds it as you've drawn, puts in all additional planned enhancements and charges no more than $5k, I am 100% in. Robert's goal is to design and build high value-to-cost pinball machines. That would be enough to get me onboard the deeproot train. Choo Choo !!
Razza_v3.pngRazza_v3.png

#6241 4 years ago

IT'S A PROTOTYPE DAMMIT!!!

re earlier comment: 2000 plays is indeed nothing which is why people are so justifiably annoyed their Stern coil stops are breaking at 2000 plays.

#6242 4 years ago

You guys are getting 2000 plays outta Stern coil stops!?! 2 of them on my JP Pro fell apart after 300 games.

#6243 4 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

You guys are getting 2000 plays outta Stern coil stops!?! 2 of them on my JP Pro fell apart after 300 games.

Yeah I heard they had a bad batch of those recently

#6244 4 years ago

The game looks rather cheap and bare in regards to what's on the playfield, same with the 3D printed toys versus 3D molded toys. Deeproot has been talking for months about how they can lower the cost of their games...I now see why. Hoping the production version looks better and offers more.

#Where's The Toys?

#6245 4 years ago

The lack of reading comprehension skills here is epic.

#6246 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The game looks rather cheap and bare in regards to what's on the playfield, same with the 3D printed toys versus 3D molded toys. Deeproot has been talking for months about how they can lower the cost of their games...I now see why. Hoping the production version looks better and offers more.

After years of so much bragging and bluster, and all of Jpop's scamming, and all the promises and delays, what DR has shown is that they can make a pinball design somewhere above Cosmic Carnival but below Oktoberfest. People are now looking to memory-hole DR's history, but this is really the story about how pinball is much harder than blowhards think it is.....if only this had been a nice surprise out of nowhere, instead of a long-delayed and over-hyped prototype.

Their real problem is that a stellar title (Jurassic Park) has dropped from a new designer and it makes the old design tropes of Jpop seem a bit meh. If RAZA had come out around the time GotG happened, that's a window where the RAZA prototype might have been more competitive...

#6247 4 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

After years of so much bragging and bluster, and all of Jpop's scamming, and all the promises and delays, what DR has shown is that they can make a pinball design somewhere above Cosmic Carnival but below Oktoberfest. People are now looking to memory-hole DR's history, but this is really the story about how pinball is much harder than blowhards think it is.....

very well said.

#6248 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

The lack of reading comprehension skills here is epic.

ITS A PROTOTYPE!!!!!

#6249 4 years ago

Like with most prototypes, they are sure to become more valuable and desirable than the regular production games. In a few years we can marvel at the slight differences and tell those that ended up with them how lucky they are.

#6250 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Like with most prototypes, they are sure to become more valuable and desirable than the regular production games. In a few years we can marvel at the slight differences and tell those that ended up with them how lucky they are.

I think people are expecting the production model to be wildly different than the PROTOTYPE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/125?hl=arcadem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.