• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 hours ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 669.
#6101 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Nah, I read (and the "exaggerated" example is just an example that people dont read) and try to be reasonable.
My personal opinion is:
Looks nice, generally interrested where this is going. I don't need to judge that thing, I couldn't even buy it if I wanted to (wich I don't).
And my answer wich you're refraining to is about doing PR here.
So would a halfway civilized conversation be even possible with all these "Jflops" or "Jpoops" or now that I'm from "Doucheldorf"?
How is that helping with anything?

I think you may be suffering from selective memory. As I recall when RM posted over here he was an ass... period.

I even wrote a post trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

His next few postings he even managed to be EVEN MORE of an ass. I just didn't say anything after that.

So he doesn't need PS for "negativity" he quite literally brings it with him wherever he goes. Maybe that works in his other pursuits but over here he's received exactly what he dished out. I doubt if he cares.

But if that's his idea of PR we can well do without it. I'm delighted he doesn't post over here anymore.

And I call JFlop "JFop" because it's one of the most polite nicknames you can give that crook. If he took your 8K to 16K like he did others over here you would also at LEAST call him a crook.

But I agree the " Doucheldorf " was uncalled for. Pretty lame insult anyway. You didn't deserve that

#6102 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Horrible rules? Give me a break. It's literally the same as MM, RfM, AfM, Scared Stiff, Monster Bash, and ANY OTHER NUMBER OF GAMES that are ALL "Shoot X shot Y times to start/finish Z mode. If you don't like the weird layout, fine, but if you're bitching about the rules..... lol....well, you certainly must not like most of the most popular Williams/Bally games of the era.

Maybe he's referring to the code when the game shipped. I bought one then and it didn't have many rules. Just a lot of animations that were cool the first time but unskippable. Well it was super shallow... let's call it that.

But the CS complete overhaul of the code made it pretty damn decent. Also fixed most of the glaring issues. I rarely get near the end of the multiple wizard modes and I wouldn't have hung on to the game all this time without it.

#6103 4 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

A few minutes of gameplay video including zombie multiball.

so the ramp's not makeable? That's a disappointment.
Thanks for the video though!

#6104 4 years ago

I think I get why DR and some others no longer post anything here, don't saying all the posts was great or without patronizing.
If you make a mistake in here, it's like you're banned for life.
It's a bit scary.

I would think a lot of potential new projects, new pin, stopped in project phase, fears the burn we could get in here.

My only point is just: ok the pin is not 100% finished, they said it was a prototype. OK Robert say, I don't do prototype: stupid thing to say.

Does anyone with comon sense could believe, it's not a good idea to ask for feedbacks and knowing any potential flows before releasing a pin? Is it better to sell not finished pin like some does? I do work in the industry and nothing could be release with a huge test phase... moreover before delivering a pin to the masses.

This thread is turning to some kind of wars for 5 minutes of video of a unfinished pin and a designer. Seriously, those guys put their pride aside and asked for feedbacks, what was wrong with that?

Let's see in march who was right, yes maybe the pin will not be great, but I don't see the point of burning the project now (I get the guy past and so on...) if the pin is great it will sell I think (a lot) otherwise it will not. All those comments cannot foresee what will happen.
so be it.

I'm not sure all the potential buyer are reading this thread anyway and/or will judge by themselves.

#6105 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Horrible rules? Give me a break. It's literally the same as MM, RfM, AfM, Scared Stiff, Monster Bash, and ANY OTHER NUMBER OF GAMES that are ALL "Shoot X shot Y times to start/finish Z mode. If you don't like the weird layout, fine, but if you're bitching about the rules..... lol....well, you certainly must not like most of the most popular Williams/Bally games of the era.

I think jpops Williams titles are more mode based. MM and AFM are more as you are describing. Monster bash is mode based too. I think some of the flaws are within the modes. For the casual player they are fun, my kids favorite game is Arabian Nights but once you get to a depth of rules it is much more shallow than the other consider "A" title games from the 90's. I am not a hater of any of his games, I dislike CV the most but the others are ok. TOM you can time out or in competition you would just shot the orbit (advance clock) and that's about it.

I am excited to play this game as I will judge it for myself.

I am with most here and not understanding the game being a proto at this stage but I'm happy to have another game on the road for people to play.

#6106 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Maybe he's referring to the code when the game shipped. I bought one then and it didn't have many rules. Just a lot of animations that were cool the first time but unskippable. Well it was super shallow... let's call it that.
But the CS complete overhaul of the code made it pretty damn decent. Also fixed most of the glaring issues. I rarely get near the end of the multiple wizard modes and I wouldn't have hung on to the game all this time without it.

Ah okay, fair enough. I haven't ever played that code. But comparing the final code with other games....yeah!

I've finished Meet the Cirqus several times. That game is crazy deep, in terms of how much you have to do, but none of it is like...LOTR complicated left/right ramp alternating or whatever lol. It's pretty straighforward. Just a LOT of shots to do, especially the ringmaster.

#6107 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Hoping the non jpop games are good. This one is a fail. A big fail.

But it hasn't been released yet? How does that work?

There is more than a one man team involved here.

#6108 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I had Pm'd RM 4 months ago and told him with all the hype he's created, showing a game that was anything less than dialed in and done code wise (excluding bugs) would be suicide.
I understand because of RMs excessive hype they feel pressured to get something out there. I just cant believe their "debut" was like a WIP homebrew. Not to mention they allowed piss poor lighting, couldn't be bothered to "freshen" up rubbers or identify weak flippers let alone create a semi professional video if it in action. A real head scratcher. RM either needs to hire a PR manager or fire who he's got right now . This was their time to shine! The time to fire back and give a big middle finger to all the pinside haters ya know?

My hope is that the Oursler, Nordman and Norris machines are in a much better state.

Whilst I assume this is further along with audio visual assets than others, as they seem to be leading with it ... if this represents the most advanced stage they've reached with a game in terms of shooting it, that's extremely worrying.

Being charitable, maybe they just feel obligated to show this, because of the Zidware settlement agreement?

#6109 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I think I get why DR and some others no longer post anything here, don't saying all the posts was great or without patronizing.
If you make a mistake in here, it's like you're banned for life.
It's a bit scary.

Saying they "didn't need a prototype" was one of the LEAST offensive things RM said. The guy comes over here pissing on every other actual *functioning* pin manufacturer without a clue of what he was getting himself into.

So between his attitude and the guy that stole what?...over a quarter million dollars to pay himself to make *nothing*... I think the thread has been pretty damn positive.

The interesting thing is that despite how awful the vids look... the people that actually *played* the game pretty much all seemed to like it. I kept waiting to hear players bad-mouth it to death. Didn't happen.

This is in direct contrast to something like Thunderbirds that also looked like hell in videos and then was indeed almost universally hated when people actually got to play it.

So it has that going for it at least...

#6110 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Saying they "didn't need a prototype" was one of the LEAST offensive things RM said. The guy comes over here pissing on every other actual *functioning* pin manufacturer without a clue of what he was getting himself into.
So between his attitude and the guy that stole what?...over a quarter million dollars to pay himself to make *nothing*... I think the thread has been pretty damn positive.
The interesting thing is that despite how awful the vids look... the people that actually *played* the game pretty much all seemed to like it. I kept waiting to hear players bad-mouth it to death. Didn't happen.
This is in direct contrast to something like Thunderbirds that also looked like hell in videos and then was indeed almost universally hated when people actually got to play it.
So it has that going for it at least...

that's fair

#6111 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

My hope is that the Oursler, Nordman and Norris machines are in a much better state.
Whilst I assume this is further along with audio visual assets than others, as they seem to be leading with it ... if this represents the most advanced stage they've reached with a game in terms of shooting it, that's extremely worrying.
Being charitable, maybe they just feel obligated to show this, because of the Zidware settlement agreement?

I feel others always helped Jpop make a better game. Several designers have hinted Jpop was always a mess and others tweaked his games. In fact, several say he has taken credit for games others have designed.

I have to believe this as none of his Zidware stuff was ever completed and Magic Girl shoots like crap.

#6112 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I think jpops Williams titles are more mode based. MM and AFM are more as you are describing. Monster bash is mode based too. I think some of the flaws are within the modes. For the casual player they are fun, my kids favorite game is Arabian Nights but once you get to a depth of rules it is much more shallow than the other consider "A" title games from the 90's. I am not a hater of any of his games, I dislike CV the most but the others are ok. TOM you can time out or in competition you would just shot the orbit (advance clock) and that's about it.
I am excited to play this game as I will judge it for myself.
I am with most here and not understanding the game being a proto at this stage but I'm happy to have another game on the road for people to play.

RFM - Shoot 4 shots to same shot to activate hurryup (mode), and bash the thing in the middle. Shoot same shot 4 times for multiball (center ramp)
MB - Shoot 4 shots to same shot to activate modes, and bash the thing in the center left a bunch of times to start multiball.
MM - Shoot 4 shots to each shot to light a multiball for each shot. Shoot the left door on the castle 3 times for multiball. Bash the thing in the center for a bunch of points.
SS - Shoot left orbit 3 times for multiball. Bash crate for multiball. Nobody else really cares about the other rules because they're wholly irrelevant and won't win you the game.
AfM - We let you pick the modes, but then make you shoot basically one of every shot in just about every mode so they're all basically the same.

I mean.....you want to say they're different. I don't see it. You're entitled to your opinion. Yes, there are more granular differences in the rules, but when it comes down to it, 90's B/W games are MULTIBALL, MULTIBALL, MULTIBALL or bust. Nobody other than IFPA top 5 players are going for wizard mode when points matter. At home is a different story, of course, but still..these games all play VERY similar, and it's really down to personal theme preference which one you would buy over the other...

#6113 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I feel others always helped Jpop make a better game. Several designers have hinted Jpop was always a mess and others tweaked his games. In fact, several say he has taken credit for games others have designed.
I have to believe this as none of his Zidware stuff was ever completed and Magic Girl shoots like crap.

Anyone who disputes this is a fool.

It's really difficult to imagine Nordman or Oursler not coming up with something awesome after 2+ years and the kind of massive support and spending that JPop has enjoyed. Norris I guess is a bit more of an unknown quantity, as I think he was out of the industry for 15 years.

I just hope RM hasn't gone all in on the JPop madness, potentially to the ultimately fatal neglect of the rest of the clearly very talented team he's hired, and the large sums spent setting up this company.

Maybe he and he his backers can afford for the investments to be lost, but this would be a disaster for pinball if potentially tens of millions went down the drain and little came of it. It would entrench the existing players and hold back competition and innovation.

#6114 4 years ago

i think there is almost no big name designer that can make a complete pinball machine alone.
Maybe John Borg because he does megs also.
Homebrew builders have to do everything themselves.

#6115 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

The first footage we got, even before Zach, was a link to a Facebook post.
In that Facebook post was waritten that you'd have to click on the comments to see more video.
First pinside post: OH GREAT JUST WHEN THEY GET THE GLAS ON THE VIDEOS IS OVER, AREN'T THERE MORE?!?
We got an official announcement on Deeproots Website aqt the end of May, that was over and over posted here and even with the reveal now a big article on TWIP that says that this is a porototype and while the "game/ playfield" in itself is pretty much finished, the cab art is a placeholer.
First pinside post: CAB LOOKS SHIT!!!
Why bother to do any PR HERE?!?
They do PR. Stern does (a lot of) PR.
They just don't do it here anymore.

Could not have said it better. It isn't in their interests to need an account, to put any information out on pinside, why stand up for a troll fest?

They'll still look through it, I'm sure ... but there is only the Very rare post that is worth more than 2c.

#6116 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Could not have said it better. It isn't in their interests to need an account, to put any information out on pinside, why stand up for a troll fest?
They'll still look through it, I'm sure ... but there is only the Very rare post that is worth more than 2c.

.......because how many people deeply invested enough in pinball, buy games that cost $5K and up, and don't then decide to delve into this forum in some manner or form?

I did. And I did so months before buying my first game.

I work in a facility that employs several hundred people, over the course of three shifts, and I wager maybe 5 people out of 500, might have played a pinball game in the past year. Even more, I highly doubt 1 or more people, other than myself, bought a NIB game in the last five years.

So like it or not, Pinside IS the definitive starting block for bringing together, disseminating info, and speaking directly with it's core target market....and globally, in the flash of a second, all at once.

#6117 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It is a design flaw, nothing else to say.
They wanted feedback, they will get it.
Change the ramp. Just looks horrible everytime a ball goes up, and falls back down again.
Doesn't matter how many frickin patents you have, get the basics right and have a game that shoots properly without design flaws.

The ramp was one of my favorite things.

Did you actually play the game?

#6118 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep. That was 5 years ago when it all started to crumble down after that Expo. We were right there on the front row pushing and prodding Jpop right after that debacle weren’t we.
Hard to believe 5 years have blown by since then Frolic!
Jpop, on his own, had ZERO chance to deliver anything other than a box with random shit in it.

What the hell were we thinking back then? It all seems so clear to me now

#6119 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The ramp was one of my favorite things.
Did you actually play the game?

Limp ramp!

#6120 4 years ago

Think with a ramp that relies on strong flippers to make is, when the flippers get even a teeny weak, welp, that game ain't playable.

Bunk for location play, and a hassle for huo players.

Especially if theres only one ramp. People wanna get their ramp on, toss another one on for frustrations sake

#6121 4 years ago

The band playing in the background of that video was pretty good. Nice garage rock vibe. Maybe we'll book them for NYCPC 2020.

#6122 4 years ago

Eh, never mind. Check back in 6 months...

#6123 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

i think there is almost no big name designer that can make a complete pinball machine alone.
Maybe John Borg because he does megs also.
Homebrew builders have to do everything themselves.

Brian Eddy, has done it all, maybe even Lawlor can do almost all of it...but it's not an efficient system. I hate to say it but Jpop is showing us he can't be left unsupervised. I hope RM can see him for what he is and maybe use him in a smarter way, for example, let him just design concepts and mechs, then hand it off to other designers and mech engineers to realize.

#6124 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That didn't sound like it was coming from the game.

It was not coming from the game.

ddt

#6125 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Brian Eddy, had done it all, maybe even Lawlor can do almost of all of it...but it's not an efficient system. I hate to say it but Jpop is showing us he can't be left unsupervised. I hope RM can see him for what he is and maybe use him in a smarter way, for example, let him just design concepts and mechs, then hand it off to other designers and mech engineers to realize.

If DR really has a dozen games in the pipeline, why not take away design duties from JPop and just make him the lead Art Director for all of the games. That's what he's best at and there should be plenty there to keep him busy! I don't think Nordman, Barry O or John Norris are especially known for having games with good art direction.

#6126 4 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

It was not coming from the game.
ddt

Thank you for clarifying David!

Side note, your lovely earworms of melodies are a good reason why POTC and the Hobbit are two games in my very small "collection". Your very indepth, candid stories, and often humor laden panels at shows, that exist on Youtube are also stellar.

Can't wait to hear your future work with Deeproot!

#6127 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If DR really has a dozen games in the pipeline, why not take away design duties from JPop and just make him the lead Art Director for all of the games. That's what he's best at and there should be plenty there to keep him busy! I don't think Nordman, Barry O or John Norris are especially known for having games with good art direction.

You're missing the stark staringly obvious role for him. Not having one.

If they want a decent art director, it isn't JPop.

#6128 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

You're missing the stark staringly obvious role for him. Not having one.
If they want a decent art director, it isn't JPop.

Why don’t you just start a thread about how much you hate JPOP? We get it, you have been peeing in everyone’s Cheerios for the last 5 pages of this thread.

#6129 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

Think with a ramp that relies on strong flippers to make is, when the flippers get even a teeny weak, welp, that game ain't playable.... People wanna get their ramp on, toss another one on for frustrations sake

Like LOTR?
Maybe PinballLife can supply some RAZA special flipper coils.
Terry??
(:

#6130 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Hoping the non jpop games are good. This one is a fail. A big fail.

Did you grab any video when you were playing it?

#6131 4 years ago

Any of you folks that have watched video and say... do these players just suck or what’s going on??? I played it at least 10 times over the weekend. This “prototype” is a heaping pile of shit. But...BUY IT NOW! Haha

#6132 4 years ago
Quoted from Cdoubleu1:

Any of you folks that have watched video and say... do these players just suck or what’s going on??? I played it at least 10 times over the weekend. This “prototype” is a heaping pile of shit. But...BUY IT NOW! Haha

Screenshot_20191118-000536~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191118-000536~2 (resized).png
#6133 4 years ago

Just the backbox display and fairly decent audio.

#6134 4 years ago

I want to see DeadFlip play it!

#6135 4 years ago

Somewhat color corrected for your enjoyment and obsessive scrutiny. Whoever said it was heavy on the lime was spot on.

Raza_Dead (resized).jpgRaza_Dead (resized).jpg
RAZA gone dead Saturday. Possibly a remote flash update initiated by the gent at the table with the laptop. Only serious problem I saw was that sometimes after a ball was played and scored, the next player would be left waiting for a minute or more.

Raza_Ned (resized).jpgRaza_Ned (resized).jpg
Ned toy.

Raza_Shop (resized).jpgRaza_Shop (resized).jpg
Flying target, Atomic Shop entrance, and saucer-on-a-spring.

#6136 4 years ago

I thought all the in-person observations so far were accurate. I could make the ramp about 40% of the time, but somehow I didn't mind. Reminded me of Black Knight in that respect. I lost too many balls to the outlanes, but it's not like a Pinbot with a grudge. Playfield is super cluttered. Some good looping, otherwise not a flow game; lots of catch and redirect. As a walk-up amateur I had no trouble figuring out what shots to make, so there's a fair chance this could make it on location.

It's rough; it needs a lot of polish. They bit off more than they could chew and are still catching up. Could they ship this one game in 6 months? I think so. Will it thrive? Heck if I know, but I won't bet against it.

#6137 4 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Somewhat color corrected for your enjoyment and obsessive scrutiny. Whoever said it was heavy on the lime was spot on.

Martian princess is a fantasy character. Seems like she's in need of a bit more fantasy.

raza-martian-queen (resized).jpgraza-martian-queen (resized).jpg
#6138 4 years ago

Just the backbox display and fairly decent audio.

Ooops yet again somebody made the "impossible" ramp. You just can't do it from a trap. Not sure if this is intended as nothing actually directly feeds the left inlane. So you won't get very many opportunities.

You'd think it would be designed to give you as many chances to hit it as possible or you'll never even see it divert it to the left side. Why even put the diverter and extra ramp return in the game if you have so few opportunities to hit it on the fly up the corkscrew in the first place?

I guess we'll know in what?... March now is it?

Animation is likeable but not particularly original. Same goofy style that Ratchet and Clank (as an example) have had for a decade. Seems to make pretty good use of the unusual screen ratio... to me anyway.

Thx for this video btw

#6139 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Martian princess is a fantasy character. Seems like she's in need of a bit more fantasy.[quoted image]

Ah Vic. Is this what you did back when you were a semi-famous software developer? Give cartoon women boob jobs? lol

But yeah... I like yours a lot better. Maybe they figured in today's climate they should go against the usual pinball norm...
Oh well.

#6140 4 years ago

Looking closer at this build. I hope the 3d printed parts (Ferris wheel,atomic shop sign) are replaced with injection molded parts. This machine seems like it was rushed.

#6141 4 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Looking closer at this build. I hope the 3d printed parts (Ferris wheel,atomic shop sign) are replaced with injection molded parts. This machine seems like it was rushed.

It's too expensive and time-consuming to mass-produce 3d printed parts. Almost certainly this was just for fast prototyping.

#6142 4 years ago

Been listening to H2H podcast. I think they gave a good summary of the showing of this prototype RAZA...

http://www.head2headpinball.com/2019/11/18/episode-117-dude-looks-like-a-zombie/

#6143 4 years ago
Quoted from Mercifull:

It's too expensive and time-consuming to mass-produce 3d printed parts. Almost certainly this was just for fast prototyping.

I get that, but the layer height on the atomic shop sign is atrocious. The ferris wheel looks like someone took the time to adjust settings properly to get a functional and decent looking part. My 9yr old can 3d print better parts.

#6144 4 years ago

Whoever said it was heavy on the lime was spot on.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Martian princess is a fantasy character. She's in need of a bit more fantasy.

It looks like she just needs her "limes" to be bigger and heavier.

#6145 4 years ago

Good on Robert for making a pin and putting his money ( and investors ) where his mouth is . With all Deep Root's talented people , time , and resources it's a bit underwhelming from the videos and pictures I've seen , the pin looks " ok " . With all their talk and the high expectations they built up , I was expecting a pin with the wow factor of WOZ , the toys of jjp POTC , the modes and clips of TH , the humour of MM , the shots of stern JP , The Art Of The Munsters and the theme of GOTG. Hopefully one day a company will get all these in the 1 pin .

#6146 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Because Robert said they didn't need to make prototypes.
So is this really a prototype ? Or production game ?
Is Deeproot at the show and declaring it one or the other ?
LTG : )

Yep, the staff said at the Houston show both were prototypes.

#6147 4 years ago

IMO...everything premature here. Why would DR offer something in this unfinished state? .... with all their alleged resources and legions of workforce?

Reminds me of when ACNC was first shown. It sucked and many wrote it off. Now, IMO it's a solid little hummer of a pin.

Finished code makes the game.

Not saying RAZA will be good in the end, maybe it will continue to suck. But who knows? There's so much coming out, I can't say I will be interested in checking back in, until it's released and in a much better state of polish/finish.

#6148 4 years ago

My final thoughts on the ramp shot. I did manage to complete the shot a few times and I also managed to make the ball go flying off the ramp a few times too. The only time it could be completed was a orbit to ramp combo. Was it cool? Absolutely. But I’m not a fan of having one ramp in the game and the only way of hitting this ramp is hoping a clean orbit shot allows for the opportunity of a clean on the fly ramp shot. Even then, a missed shot isn’t punished because the outlanes aren’t massive at all. It just becomes a game of patience. Trap left, right orbit, on the fly shot, miss, get back under control, rinse and repeat until it gets hit. What’s interesting is even after hitting it, the ball never returned back to my left flipper, so that feed was essentially non-existent.

The design and thoughts from DR obviously indicate that this shot is meant to be a half ramp shot. My big issue with that is, and again I only speak for myself, but it’s not fun. Watching the pinball zip around the ramp is fun, watching the ball plop back down to the playfield 100% of the time from a trap is not my idea of fun, especially on a primary shot. The ramp itself is very easy to hit clean. Basically this means the only reason to hit a ramp from a trap would be to get the ball into the target areas for your playfield multiplier.

What I would really like to see is some sort of accelerator / diverter / drop target put on this ramp. Have the drop target (s) be hit to unlock the ramp itself, but allow the ball to plop back down on the playfield as intended. Have the drop targets actually be ball locks for a multiball and then the top of the ramp becomes the super jackpot collector, or just have a diverter in which a certain key shot elsewhere on the playfield opens this shot up and an accelerator will get the ball all the way up the ramp. Basically anything but watching a ball trickle up and down a ramp.

I do want to provide some pros to this that I did find enjoyable about the game. The roving Zombie Target is a nice touch. It adds to a little bit more timing that is enjoyable more than just bash this stationary mech. That is a satisfying shot. I do like the plunge, it’s easy to get the ball to your left flipper and start a game under control. Hitting an orbit and letting the magnet do its thing into the Ferris wheel will probably be very visual appealing at the final build. I am a fan of hit this drop target and then have X amount of seconds to hit the shot that has opened up. They have the opportunity to implement this and it’s a reverse GOTG orb shot. It could lead to a pretty cool light show on the playfield. After playing a few more times, I appreciated this shot more and more. The animations on the backbox were great. They looked fantastic. I can’t wait to see the final product of that because I much prefer this over LCD and movie clips.

#6149 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

IMO...everything premature here. Why would DR offer something in this unfinished state? ....

Or are they holding something back? I see this weekend’s events as a site test - nothing more.

Can’t confirm, but I got the distinct feeling from talking with the DR folks - and I talked with them a lot - that these prototypes were purposefully stripped down. I guess the intent was real world tests on the layout in general, as well as mechs, input on the theme, etc. I think the lack of “innovations” shown was 100% on purpose as not to show their hand.

We will see in March, I suppose.

#6150 4 years ago

::Disclaimer, I didn't read anything before this::

I played it several times on two different machines and here is my experience:

One game had low flipper strength and wouldn't make it up the ramp, the other made it up no problem.
Playfield art is cool, colors pop. They had one game under a light and the other was in the dark. Light show is really cool, but the GI is really bad in a dark setting. I suggested to them that they add more GI and put lights on the ramps like Tron or Dialed In.

Shots are kind of all over the place without any indication of what you should really shoot for. The Atomic Shop was the mode start, but it was a really tight shot. You had to hit a drop target on it, then make it in within a time limit before the drop target popped back up to start a mode. That was more frustrating than fun.

The game is completely loaded loaded with small mechs, but most we've seen before. Nothing really feels groundbreaking there. When you make shots it doesn't really reward you with light show and sound yet. I'm assuming this is to be programmed in later. The spinning mech that works like the lamp in TOTAN was stiff on both machines.

The ramps are really neat on the machine with the proper flipper strength. (one you could make the entire ramp from a trap, the other you couldn't.) There was an odd metal turn around shot near the shop that wasn't satisfying to hit, I couldn't really figure out the point of it. The kickback to a ramp return was really fun. Spinning circular targets, magna save, tiny spinning disc....it was all pretty neat but code needs to make these shine more.

The screen is beautiful. Animations are some of the best in pinball even from this early code. My only concern is that if the thin screen is standard across all models, they won't be able to use movie scenes properly. Couldn't hear any sound at all really, but that could be because of the loud Expo.

Company looks promising, but I'm glad this is just a prototype.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.