• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 669.
#5701 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's only to 'score an inlane shot' in games designed for that. Dialed In dumps in front of the sling. Monopoly Dumps in front of the sling from the train. High speed dumps in front of the slings. Big Guns too. I'm sure there are others I'm not remembering.

There are letters on the in/outlanes, I assume you have to collect the letters a certain number of times to activate something else, otherwise what are the letters there for?

what do you mean dialed in dumps in front of the slings? both ramps return to the inlanes. I do see it on monopoly, never played that game and didn't realize it, but at least it also has ramps that return to both inlanes.

#5702 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

The end of June is over 7 months away

Yes. Quite. Only a few months.

#5703 4 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Thoughts on the game?

I only got a few minutes on the machine and I am not that good of a player but I think in the end it will be a lot of fun!

#5704 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

There are letters on the in/outlanes, I assume you have to collect the letters a certain number of times to activate something else, otherwise what are the letters there for?
what do you mean dialed in dumps in front of the slings? both ramps return to the inlanes.

The train/monorail/subway/whatever station drops in front of the left sling on dialed in.

There's a feed to the right inlane from some ramp - you can get your spelling done there.

#5705 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Yes. Quite. Only a few months.

Over here a few months means around 3 months but I'm not surprised in Amsterdam it could mean almost anything

#5706 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Can anyone take a pic of the “duck” target (under the left ramp return, just above the left sling)?
In the TWIP interview, JPop says it’s a unique type of spinning target but all the photos and videos so far haven’t shown it.

It was just a crude prototype with a ~4" disk mounted vertically that was rotating (not very smoothly). The idea is you only get points if the decals are vertical when you hit it. It was not very rewarding to hit. There were much cooler shots in the game than the "duck" target. Up at the top of the playfield is a moving target that moves left and right that I liked much better.

#5707 4 years ago

so heres my take after ingesting this for a bit..

no pinball game could ever live up to the hype that robert projected. as mentioned, there are a LOT of features taken from existing games (cyclone ferris wheel totan, star wars toy on a spring) but at least john admits he tries to borrow old ideas. i highly doubt there is going to be some even more packed version of this game. with that said, clearly jpop can eek out a game if enough pushing, team support helping, and tons of funding are behind him.

layout looks fun, art is great (really digging the bright green over dark blue and black. reminds me more of big bang bar)

would i buy one if the price is right? probably not right away. john is very tainted, and this is a brand new company. id want to see how game 2 goes. but im happy for deeproot as a company trying to push the envelope. stern (minus keith) has been playing it very safe for a long time.

#5708 4 years ago

Its like people never learn...

They see a prototype and now that company is ready to take over the world.. and hit every promise... and be first to everything...

Its like people forget Dutch had two great looking Finished prototypes as well... how quickly people forget getting to reliable steady level of production is the hard part.

“Octo manufacturing to the rescue!!!!”

#5709 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

with that said, clearly jpop can eek out a game if enough pushing, team support helping, and tons of funding are behind him.

The bit I don't get is: John was already working on RAZA for quite a while before deep root absorbed Zidware. The current version being shown isn't too far off from his PF back then (as shown in the side by side photo). Then tack on all the time Deep Root has been involved and a bunch of actual industry people are part of that team, and this is all they've got so far?

#5710 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

OMG I didn't realize on the left hand side there is a WIGGLER TRACK.
When the outlane kickback shoots the ball up it is put on top of a translucent plastic that wiggles the ball as it goes down. OK I was skeptical at first, especially with the waving standup target, but that kind of throwback now just delights me.
The wiggle track AND the left ramp dumping the ball above the sling and not in the outlane seem like brave choices and I'm all here for it.[quoted image]

Indeed, and the shooter lane looks like it ramps up to ride out on another flat plastic.

That's a cool concept. Think of how many flat plastics there are in pinball that basically are unused space. They usually have some ugly posts on them to avoid ball traps. In this game they actually use flat plastics as part of ball paths. Unique.

#5711 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Indeed, and the shooter lane looks like it ramps up to ride out on another flat plastic.
That's a cool concept. Think of how many flat plastics there are in pinball that basically are unused space. They usually have some ugly posts on them to avoid ball traps. In this game they actually use flat plastics as part of ball paths. Unique.

Been done before. See black rose.
The shot off of the left ramp loops around and returns to the upper right flipper via flat plastics.
So again, where are the innovations?

#5712 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Over here a few months means around 3 months but I'm not surprised in Amsterdam it could mean almost anything

A few typically refers to more than 2 and less than 10. Everywhere. Also, given that this game has been worked on for nearly a decade already, this isn't a lot of time.

#5713 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

A few typically refers to more than 2 and less than 10. Everywhere. Also, given that this game has been worked on for nearly a decade already, this isn't a lot of time.

Lies.

- "A couple" = 2
- "A few" = 3
- "Some" = 4

#5714 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The bit I don't get is: John was already working on RAZA for quite a while before deep root absorbed Zidware. The current version being shown isn't too far off from his PF back then (as shown in the side by side photo). Then tack on all the time Deep Root has been involved and a bunch of actual industry people are part of that team, and this is all they've got so far?

That's why I don't understand why a manufacturer would show anything BUT they're finished product.

Nothing but a shit ton (and that's a lot) of speculation by showing the game at this point.

#5715 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They see a prototype and now that company is ready to take over the world.. and hit every promise... and be first to everything...
Its like people forget Dutch had two great looking Finished prototypes as well... how quickly people forget getting to reliable steady level of production is the hard part.

Yes true...I hope they make it but a prototype is just that. Let’s see production and price before others doom Stern or other manufacturers.

It is a nice looking game and a good theme for me but I will wait to see if it really makes it through the hard parts of building it etc.

#5716 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Just mucking around mate , don't take me seriously , I don't .

#5717 4 years ago

This game as a prototype is already better than any Stern produced. Try to find any dimpling or pooling?

#5718 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Lies.
- "A couple" = 2
- "A few" = 3
- "Some" = 4

"Handful" = 5

#5719 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

"Handful" = 5

Unless they're two big ones

#5720 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

This game as a prototype is already better than any Stern produced. Try to find any dimpling or pooling?

The prototype has a mirco playfield.

#5721 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

When you're out of school 7 months are over whilst once scratching your butt.

#5722 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, you really don't get it.

#5723 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Not all of them are such a rediculous price, depends on supply I guess......
https://m.alibaba.com/product/60842585826/Factory-direct-ultra-wide-advertising-display.html?s=p
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
... and I'm sure DR could source them even cheaper than I can, while still having adequate quality/durability.

Well, that's still more than 10x more then what a normal Stern LCD would cost.

(Or 100x in terms of Star Wars Home.)

#5724 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

So is Pintastic

#5725 4 years ago

Reveal was a non-story. It shows a full size playfield and a layout without signature mechs. Everything is subject to change. Yawn ... wake me in June when dr has a final product to review and a price.

#5726 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

So is Pintastic

Wish I could be there

#5727 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Overhype via outlandish and offensive claims? YES.
Did they produce a freakin’ awesome looking Jpop machine? YES!
Here are some ifs:
IF the game plays like a classic jpop, and IF the code is good, and IF the qc is good, and IF they price it right, and IF they can distribute in a timely fashion, and IF Stern will not make it right with customers that have PF issues, deeproot could be on its way to dethroning the current penny-pinching, ostrich head-in-the-sand qc modeled Stern. I really hope we can move on to higher quality matched with more affordable pricing.
IF!

LOL @ "DETHRONING"!
Just Stop...
All pinball companies that make a profit currently are fortunate to make one. Most startup pinball companies have failed this decade. Sadly their egos were bigger than their output of machines. Curb the enthusiasm but sure be delighted for new prospective games.

#5728 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Reveal was a non-story. It shows a full size playfield and the layout. Otherwise everything is subject to change. Yawn ... wake me in Mar, when dr has a final product to review.

Reveal was as announced.
Pinball is a game about shooting a silver ball around a playfield layout with some flippers, you've noticed that correctly.
Otherwise everything is non essential, especially for a prototype.

I get that - since it's not ready for retail - doesn't spark your interrest but that still far from a "non-story" for the rest of us.
(As you may notice, otherwise the thread wouldn't be about to blow up.)

#5729 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The prototype has a mirco playfield.

Proving my point. Even Mirco as a temp playfield is better than any Stern kinkos printed dimplefest

#5730 4 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

LOL @ "DETHRONING"!
Just Stop

Correct, it’s “DETHRONED”

Knocking Stern off wasn’t hard because they were never in the chair

#5731 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Proving my point. Even Mirco as a temp playfield is better than any Stern kinkos printed dimplefest

It has gotten so bad that I have a playfield protector sitting here, waiting for my JP LE. I am opening the box this Xmas, should it be indeed as bad as some of the Sterns that I have seen in the wild lately I will take the bullet and install the protector.

I have been lucky so far, other than that terrible POTC CE that I got from JJP and PinballStar all my pins have been great, as so was the customer experience other than JJP and PinballStar. This time I wanted to be prepared, my Stern luck may run out this Xmas.

#5732 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's only to 'score an inlane shot' in games designed for that. Dialed In dumps in front of the sling. Monopoly Dumps in front of the sling from the train. High speed dumps in front of the slings. Big Guns too. I'm sure there are others I'm not remembering.

High Speed, as well.

#5733 4 years ago

The rotating duck target on the playfield left side is cool, but is reminiscent of the Gottlieb Roto-Target.

#5734 4 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

The rotating duck target on the playfield left side is cool, but is reminiscent of the Gottlieb Roto-Target.

Very reminiscent. It's basically a miniature roto target.

Pretty cool, but not sure how it's going to suit a modern game. The biggest problem with rotos have always been that they aren't reliably aligned, and that they are freaking huge taking up a ton of above/below playfield real estate. This small version probably takes care of both of those issues.

The question is if anybody cares in 2019 about roto targets. The return of the vari-target with Ripleys didn't exactly set the pinball world aflame.

#5735 4 years ago

It’s fun watching all the haters squirm trying to get in front of the steam roller that is about to be Deep Root Pinball.

#5736 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Very reminiscent. It's basically a miniature roto target.
Pretty cool, but not sure how it's going to suit a modern game. The biggest problem with rotos have always been that they aren't reliably aligned, and that they are freaking huge taking up a ton of above/below playfield real estate. This small version probably takes care of both of those issues.
The question is if anybody cares in 2019 about roto targets. The return of the vari-target with Ripleys didn't exactly set the pinball world aflame.

Also, just because it's a new mech, doesn't mean it's any good. See: Rescue 911 Helicopter.

#5737 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Super curious why this metal cutout was necessary. Im guessing choosing to have the ball return here kept hitting the sling?

To coin a South Park-ism, "Simpsons did it!" In our case it was to avoid redesigning a complex wireform that was already prone to losing the ball before it assumed its final form.

#5738 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Also, just because it's a new mech, doesn't mean it's any good. See: Rescue 911 Helicopter.

So basically (combining your and Levis Statement):
A new/ innovative mech (wich in this case is an old/ exnovative mech) may be shit.

Well...

yes.

Everything, everywhere, anytime has the potential to be shit.
If you take your happines out of this, so be it.

That is still not what most people aim for, unless they take a dump.

#5739 4 years ago

The show has been open for 7 minutes. Shouldn't there be 8 twitch streamers broadcasting exclusive live RAZA by now?

#5740 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The show has been open for 7 minutes. Shouldn't there be 8 twitch streamers broadcasting exclusive live RAZA by now?

They're still fighting over the two machines.

#5741 4 years ago
Quoted from Hardsuit:

[quoted image]

This reminds me of a spinning target in a shooting gallery.

#5742 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphcousman:

This reminds me of a spinning target in a shooting gallery.

That is the feeling I get too, but that is what they are going for with the amusement park theme.

#5743 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

All these other company's died the same way they ran out of money. It appears DP has that bit covered (for now)

#5744 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Come on, that's very, very low...

..besides, shouldn't you aussies (like all of us overseas) be used to pinball-waiting?

#5745 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

It’s fun watching all the haters squirm trying to get in front of the steam roller that is about to be Deep Root Pinball.

The pinball community seems to be one of the most polarized. Everything has to either be the "best ever" or "worst ever". Both sides are equally annoying.

EDIT: That's not quite true. As I think about it, I am slightly more annoyed by the "worst ever" group.

#5746 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That's why I don't understand why a manufacturer would show anything BUT they're finished product.

There are reasons for showing early and not showing at all. If you don't show it before going to productionj, you'd better be sure that you've your design and quality is rock solid. You're betting the farm on a big splash and the immediate hype cycle to sell you game.. By showing early, you get great feedback to fix things. I see DR is using Agile and Lean practices and these are key concepts in this school of thought (create feedback loops and pivot/adjust quickly). Down side is that you may dilute the hype cycle but for a new manufacturer I think this is a really smart approach.

#5747 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

The pinball community seems to be one of the most polarized. Everything has to either be the "best ever" or "worst ever". Both sides are equally annoying.
EDIT: That's not quite true. As I think about it, I am slightly more annoyed by the "worst ever" group.

That's the problem with high expectations. Robert should have under-promised and over-delivered, then most would be ecstatic for a new Jpop machine, despite the history. Instead, we dissect the prototype and find that it looks strangely familiar. I'd probably buy one based on what I'm seeing, but then my expectations were pretty low with all the hubris blowing around. The best people often say nothing because they don't need to.

#5748 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

There are reasons for showing early and not showing at all. If you don't show it before going to productionj, you'd better be sure that you've your design and quality is rock solid. You're betting the farm on a big splash and the immediate hype cycle to sell you game.. By showing early, you get great feedback to fix things. I see DR is using Agile and Lean practices and these are key concepts in this school of thought (create feedback loops and pivot/adjust quickly). Down side is that you may dilute the hype cycle but for a new manufacturer I think this is a really smart approach.

Yes, BUT the new thing here (if you take their word for it) is that they're not showing us a "near final" product in anything besides the playfield.
They promise to bring the real Innovation (the real cab, more mechs, real art etc.) in march, so that this allready pretty nice game will be kicked up to the next level. - (Again, exeggarated and we'll see what'll happen.)

So if they can keep that promises, there'll be enough "new" again end of march to re-kindle interrest imho.

(At least it's better this way then to do the opposite and bring a prototype wich has more/ better mechs, art, Music in it then the final product.)

For now they announced a prototype, wich would allready be "en par" to the competition, wich (in my opinion) is pretty much what they delivered.
If it's going to be any better, be my guest, much appreciated.

The only elephant in the room FOR ME is the price of the machine.
Originally talking about Ferraris for Fiat Prices, that has now changed to an essay how to define "value".

#5749 4 years ago

Yeah, I get that. I wasn't a huge fan of how Robert came in with the whole "pinball is easy" talk. However, I look at this machine and see a lot to like, especially from a first time manufacturer.

#5750 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Yeah, I get that. I wasn't a huge fan of how Robert came in with the whole "pinball is easy" talk. However, I look at this machine and see a lot to like, especially from a first time manufacturer.

Agree, it is looking really good. I wasn't a potential customer until now. Is there any more footage of gameplay out there?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 49.99
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/115?hl=wamonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.