• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 hours ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 669.
#5501 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then have we got the grocery getter for you![quoted image]

Nah. The store is only 3 miles away and she needs the exercise.

#5502 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Glad you're softening up.

....a little....

#5503 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Agreed. Stern is going to get crushed. Raza already looks better than bksor, gotg, Beatles, Munsters.

Agree it looks better.

But the million dollar question - will it play better and be coded as well as Stern games??

#5504 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Nah. The store is only 3 miles away and she needs the exercise.

I think I'll buy an old Dodge Neon, then I can be one in style too without breaking the bank.

#5505 4 years ago

Where is the innovation?

#5506 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Why would any animator (when given the task of animating for this aspect ratio) choose to put tall vertical images, portraits, small background details, etc in?

Because they are trying to covey things to people standing 4-8ft away??

At the end of the day the issue is you have a screen with incredibly limited vertical space... that limits what you can display. The bigger the item is, the smaller it must be on the display to actually fit in the vertical limit.. that will make it harder to see from the target distance.

#5507 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

that just seems like a lot of additional cost for virtually no value.

That was JPOP's vision statement for his design studio...

#5508 4 years ago
Quoted from JRocket:

@pin2d Do you happen to know (and have the authority to confirm) that the following from the TWIP deeproot article on 09/23/19 is still going to happen?
We also plan to release a teaser for our second title prior to the Houston Arcade Expo show. This teaser will showcase a level of cinematic animation never before seen with pinball, courtesy of deeproot Studios.

I checked to make sure it was ok to share here. The animation teaser video is on hold - the second game is unlicensed but it has music that is licensed, and they are waiting to get the ok for the licensed music that is in the teaser clip.

#5509 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m not sure what I can turn to now.
Religion? Family? Friends?

Booze, Hookers?

#5510 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Glad you're softening up.

They make pills to help with that.

#5511 4 years ago

@pin2d Thank you for the answer and for everything you do in the pinball community.

#5512 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Where is the innovation?

Yup. Let’s review.
Ramps, ok. Some cool stuff there but nothing mind blowing.
Some sculpted figures,
Nothing new.
A moving target. Nothing new.
A toy on a spring, see Star Wars,
A Ferris wheel, see cyclone and hurricane.
Maybe some magnets,see every other jpop game.

Nice art, very reminiscent of Big Bang bar as far as color palette goes.
Cool theme, I guess. So, in a nut shell.
Nothing we haven’t seen before.
Nothing mind blowing or really innovative.
What will really sell this? Price, and ruleset.
If it shoots well it could be a fun game.
But I’m not overly impressed with what I’ve seen yet.
But it’s all about how it plays.
We will wait and see.

#5513 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This prototype has a Mirco playfield......

Please tell me you're joking. If that is the case and if AIW is a title I want, I will be asking DR if it's possible to have a non cleared pf sent to Kruzman and then back to them.

#5514 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

There's that Williams innovation from 1960 I've been waitng for.

#5515 4 years ago

AH, now that I've gotten on a pc and able to see more clearly, RAZA's "main toy" is a very much a recycled World Cup Soccer 94 moving target and if I'm seeing correctly in that same area are roll overs? Another WCS94 recycled idea. That's actually pretty disappointing.

#5516 4 years ago

Admit it, you miss it! It hasn't been in a pinball since 1976 or so with Space Mission/Space Odyssey!

Quoted from o-din:

There's that Williams innovation from 1960 I've been waitng for.

#5517 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Please tell me you're joking. If that is the case and if AIW is a title I want, I will be asking DR if it's possible to have a non cleared pf sent to Kruzman and then back to them.

just read the article dude.. it's all explained in there before you jump off a bridge.

TWIP: You’ve discussed that deeproot playfields would be higher quality and more durable (#hammer) than anything on the market currently. Am I correct in saying that the prototype machines at Houston do not have playfields made by deeproot? Have you built any deeproot playfields yet for testing?

RM: We had contracted with Mirco to supply the playfields for the Houston Expo prior to the quality issues being made public. It made the most sense to just use them for this limited purposes, and keep our playfield protection design a mystery. We have tested many samples.

FFS people... a little learning before we put ourselves out there isn't a bad thing.

#5518 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Admit it, you miss it! It hasn't been in a pinball since 1976 or so with Space Mission/Space Odyssey!

I don't miss it because I own the original 1960 game it came on. Designed by Harry Mabs this time.

For those that did miss it, I believe Thunderbirds are Go might be the most recent game with this feature

#5519 4 years ago

I've always thought a swinging target behind a drop target bank could be a ton of fun. Something like try to hit the target while minimizing how many drop targets you drop or clear the bank without hitting the target.

I love the swinging target in the game though. I do think more games need them. It's a simple but satisfying mech.

#5520 4 years ago

I'm going to reserve any judgment until I see some game play,
but, I was expecting my socks to get knocked off at the reveal and I am still wearing them

I am just glad we have a machine to discuss in this thread now

#5521 4 years ago

I’d like to know what size speakers they are using in the backbox? 4x6 or 4x10? Hope not
09199219-ABD9-498D-83EC-5884DC25015D (resized).jpeg09199219-ABD9-498D-83EC-5884DC25015D (resized).jpeg

#5522 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I’d like to know what size speakers they are using in the backbox? 4x6? Hope not

agree, it doesn't scream sonic fidelity
I would of put larger speakers in the top of the back box

I'll assume for now, they know what they are doing and it sounds great

I also would of used a matte black surround for the video screen so you don't get playfield refection

#5523 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I've always thought a swinging target behind a drop target bank could be a ton of fun. Something like try to hit the target while minimizing how many drop targets you drop or clear the bank without hitting the target.
I love the swinging target in the game though. I do think more games need them. It's a simple but satisfying mech.

I'm totally shocked they didn't re-invent the classic gobble hole behind a drop target. It was only used on one game.

#5524 4 years ago

I'm not sure what the complaints about the screen are about? It looks a lot bigger than a traditional DMD to me. And you can fit a nice backglass above it.
11ae542a205d343592b1ecfa4f352d25bd4cca14.jpeg (resized).jpg11ae542a205d343592b1ecfa4f352d25bd4cca14.jpeg (resized).jpg

#5525 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm totally shocked they didn't re-invent the classic gobble hole behind a drop target. It was only used on one game.

It looks like a scoop with a drop target in front. That's innovation!

#5526 4 years ago

A lot of these responses are the reason why Robert (wisely) doesn't post here.

#5527 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It looks like a scoop with a drop target in front. That's innovation!

That takes the classic drop target in front of a kickout hole from 1965 to a whole new level.

Some of these features may not be new, but it is kinda refreshing compared to what else has been available as of late.
image-11 (resized).jpgimage-11 (resized).jpg

#5528 4 years ago

Hopefully this pin has direct Audio/Video feeds

#5529 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Hopefully this pin has direct Audio/Video feeds

yes, that would be awesome
plug and play a sub

#5530 4 years ago

It needs a microwave in place of the coin door.

#5531 4 years ago

Pricing that humbles the competition probably assumes their competition are Stern premium or JJP std: skeptical a newcomer can compete with Stern pro pricing. Maybe they will shoot for under $6000, and can claim they are more than $1000 cheaper than the competition. I'd be impressed if they can come in at a $5999 price point.

Quoted from Darscot:

That screen size and aspect ratio is baffling?! Why would they not go with a standard easily sourced size, that just seems like a lot of additional cost for virtually no value.

It's also amusing they actually squish the speakers in the vertical space to maximize horizontal availability. I could see a case for making the display as wide as the playfield, but wider? I could get on board with ultrawide but how about a more-common, not-as-extreme 21:9. I was imagining what it would look like if you flip the speakers vertically to the sides, and have the LCD the full height of the speaker panel between those.

I wondered where these formats are used. Looks like these are for advertising or supermarket / merchandising displays, likely used in Asia. It seems 16:3 is one of the aspect ratios, which looks approximately what this might be: about 4.5" x 24". But yeah, seem to be at least 3x the price of more common aspect ratios. Some seem to have Android hardware built-in, so might be an easy way to get your video/animation platform.

One of those JPop things? Different = innovation? The rest doesn't look that innovative, just an amalgamation of classic features from various games. Remains to be seen how fun the result will be.

#5532 4 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Not sure I like that left ramp coming almost down to the left sling, would rather some targets over there or a kickout hole and the ramp moved back a little but otherwise looks great!

And so it starts LOL

#5533 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I'm not sure what the complaints about the screen are about? It looks a lot bigger than a traditional DMD to me. And you can fit a nice backglass above it.
[quoted image]

Screen look awesome.

#5534 4 years ago

It looks great, although playtime will tell what’s it worth.

I don’t see anything there that would teach a lesson to all the other manufacturers, it’s still a pinball.

#5535 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Yup. Let’s review.
Ramps, ok. Some cool stuff there but nothing mind blowing.
Some sculpted figures,
Nothing new.
A toy on a spring, see Star Wars,
A Ferris wheel, see cyclone and hurricane.
Maybe some magnets,see every other jpop game.
Nice art, very reminiscent of Big Bang bar as far as color palette goes.
Cool theme, I guess. So, in a nut shell.
Nothing we haven’t seen before.
Nothing mind blowing or really innovative.
What will really sell this? Price, and ruleset.
If it shoots well it could be a fun game.
But I’m not overly impressed with what I’ve seen yet.
But it’s all about how it plays.
We will wait and see.

There are targets in places Stern wouldn't dare put them, a spinning "Tesseract/BM66Mobile" suspended from above, something with a "dual level kickback", and something to do with a duck target that rotates. Maybe not mind blowing, but certainly new and interesting. This is far from "two ramps and a pop cluster".

#5536 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It's not the same. You're deliberately choosing to ignore what's in front of your eyes. This IS objectively bad for the application. If it were a scrolling news or price ticker, fine. But it isn't.
Moreover, having mounted the speakers underneath the display, this appears to be even narrower vertically than CGC's solution ... and CGC have good reason for preserving original aspect ratio, as they are both selling a 'classic' edition and expanding on the original animations of the games.
The 'problem' you're saying that Batman, Munsters & Elvira have is not a problem for them. It's a problem for this machine.
DMDs went 128x16 -> 128x32 -> 192x64 (and physically much larger) - the latter being abandoned because they were considered too expensive. Each change was a major improvement in terms of the amount of information that could be displayed, and what you could do with animations.
This ultra wide, very vertically narrow display forces the UI designers into a corner - literally.
It also makes absolutely zero sense to be spending millions on an animation studio, and then never even give them the luxury of any depth of field whatsoever. Anything in the background? Pixel size. Portraits? Forget it. Anything tall? Has to be shown in either super wide format where it'll appear tiny, or you need to scroll up it to show it. Makes even less sense for a game that it is specifically about characters ... Ned, the princess, undead, aliens etc.
They're not spending millions on the translite art. Yet it dominates the backbox. Why is the most expensive part of the game in terms of development crammed into a small letterbox?
You could take an optimistic approach and say that they're going to do AR, and the display is just a sideshow. But it still wouldn't make any sense ... not everyone is going to wear glasses, and there are locations, show rooms and events to think of. You could also choose to think this is non-final, but aspect seems similar or the same to teaser videos released.
Or perhaps what we assume is the translite or backglass is another monitor? But, again, it would seem a strange design choice.
WOZ could do so much more with its display. It wasn't just all the toys and world under glass that caused it to pull so many new people into pinball, or collecting. It immersed people who were just watching the player. Will this ...?
It's extremely sub-optimal, to put it kindly, when they had a blank canvas.

It "is"... for you, now.

I like a big Backglass. It's beautiful even when the machine is turned off.
In my opinion JJP and AP Backboxes are fugly.

What's on the screen is secondary anyway but the video they showed looked promising that they make good use of the screen.
And unless we don't see how they present score and gameplay info, why insist to make a point?

The only objective (!) "is" is that this screen should come in more expensive then an of the bench 16:9 screen.
From that perspective the choice is strange but it is one thing that definately stands out. - And that is good thing (brand recognition).

#5537 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

[quoted image]

It's because they like to mimimimimimimi...

#5538 4 years ago

It's possible and even likely that the cool display is meant for lower end priced games and that premium games will have a larger monitor. In any case color me intriqued...

#5539 4 years ago
Quoted from Bingovit:

I don't get the hype at all...
Cabinet artwork and backglass artwork is sooooo extremely bland!
Playfield looks colorful but I hope it's not too much as what we've come to expect from JPOP...
Theme doesn't work at all for me but still curious to see how it ends up playing!
Curious to see what's all the innovation they're talking about though as I don't really see it in these pictures.

Prototype. Placeholder. Innovation will be in the the cab, revealed later; this isn't it.

This answer is valid for about every second post here.

#5540 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm really looking forward to the demonstration where they take a sledgehammer to this thing.

Although that won't be for a while yet since it seems DR is using Mirco playfields for these prototypes. Hammer test on them would still be interesting though!

DRs own playfields in Production games, it seems.

#5541 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

A lot of these responses are the reason why Robert (wisely) doesn't post here.

He may have brought some of it on himself.

LTG : )

#5542 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

He certainly did...

..."some"...

...but then reading through here sometimes I ask myself why I've not yet deleted my account and killed myself.

Srsly what I read here (simplified):
A: "We'll present you 3 green triangles!"
B: "How many?"
C: "What shape?"
D: "What color?"

#5543 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Someone always brings that up, for what reason I don't know, but he always has the option of starting his own pinball forum.

#5544 4 years ago

maybe they used something like that as the display

https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-s2820hsb-b1/

Display Sizes (resized).pngDisplay Sizes (resized).png

Speakers are included.

28 inch display iiyama (resized).png28 inch display iiyama (resized).png

#5545 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

AH, now that I've gotten on a pc and able to see more clearly, RAZA's "main toy" is a very much a recycled World Cup Soccer 94 moving target and if I'm seeing correctly in that same area are roll overs? Another WCS94 recycled idea. That's actually pretty disappointing.

What you seem to think is the "main toy" I didn't even notice was talked about at all in the interview re. playfield features.

It's worth a read....

#5547 4 years ago

That display is 29" across with the frame. Given the pictures, and the size of a standard Cabinet/Head - that's bigger than what they're using.

#5548 4 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:Don't let us down Deeproot. Deliver a product no hype no big claims.

Well, it's a bit late for that.

#5549 4 years ago

As long as they get the TV screen right, as far as pinside is concerned, the rest is minor details.

#5550 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

All those millions of dollars invested have to be built into any price of the game. The game is going to have significant BOM, R&D costs, overhead and still have meat on the bone for resellers and distributors. And it's built in Texas. How is that going to be sub $5k?

Building it in Texas is a business plus...You think Building Sterns,Spooky's and JJP in blue states are less expensive? I bet they get taxed to death..Texas is a very pro business state..Smart move and quality will be good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.