• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 669.
#5001 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It would have to be some type of ceramic. The cost of using something like pyrocarbon over wood would be off the charts...

And that seems so strange. Gerry is one of the nicest people in the industry. I’ve never met anyone that had an issue with him.

Perhaps he's the only one who actually reached out? Totally agree, from all my (remote) dealings with him and his overwhelmingly positive presence on the site, he seems to be an extraordinarily nice fellow.

#5004 4 years ago

Man this is amazing. Legitimately one of the few reasons I have left to check-in on pinside every now and then.

#5007 4 years ago

Really wanna know what P3 Gerry did to piss him off LOL maybe he went to Gerry for a board set or something?

#5008 4 years ago

That's a legendary outtake. a comic in the 80s had a whole routine about this exact commercial shoot. His name is Maurice LaMarche - but you may know him as "The Brain" from Pinky & The Brain, or Egon from Real Ghostbusters

#5009 4 years ago

10 year playfield warranty wow......
They must use some sort off plastic playfield with on top a upsite down printed mylar.

#5010 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

10 year playfield warranty wow......
They must use some sort off plastic playfield with on top a upsite down printed mylar.

Maybe Formica?

#5011 4 years ago

10 year playfield warranty wow......Hammer proof.
They must use some sort off plastic playfield with on top a upsite down printed mylar or something like that.
Can't wait to see how it looks like from inside the machine.

200 patents!!!!
Maybe a "ONE" coil pinball machine.
A SINGLE 20 steps magnet motor with cables that wired most megs, less coils and wires and cost.
Thats how you can make cheap pinball machines.
YOU HEAR IT HERE FIRST FROM ME.

#5012 4 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Maybe Formica?

Its not easy to mount megs on it.

#5013 4 years ago

We will accept no whining before it's time.

#5014 4 years ago

Dont give Odin any more ideas.

#5015 4 years ago

Fiberglass reinforced plywood that trailers and box truck bodies are made from wouldn't dent with a hammer. Also, phenolic resin sheets are amazingly durable as well.

#5016 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A ten-year warranty from Deep Root is about as good as a ten-week warranty from Suncoast pinball.
Meaningless.

But how do you know? Haven't they been around longer than ten years already? And isn't this the guy that gave CASH to previously screwed Jpoop customers? To me that buys some goodwill right there.

I find the bravado entertaining and since he hasn't asked for a penny from anyone... why are you so defensive?

I find his statements a little hard to take but so what? Why do you guys want to stifle ANYTHING pinball related?

#5017 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

But how do you know? Haven't they been around longer than ten years already? And isn't this the guy that gave CASH to previously screwed Jpoop customers? To me that buys some goodwill right there.
I find the bravado entertaining and since he hasn't asked for a penny from anyone... why are you so defensive?
I find his statements a little hard to take but so what? Why do you guys want to stifle ANYTHING pinball related?

I agree on that. Promising cash AND giving it to the people JPop screwed shows some very goodwill and is quite unheard of in the long history of pre orders screw up.

It doesn't leave much doubt on Robert's pocket depth. Where there is questions, I believe, is in his ability to build pinballs (And I won't even enter the consideration of building pinballs that relegates every single pinball maker to the stone age, and their clients to be suckers who bought crap).

I guess, writing a check is easy, unlike building pinballs !

#5018 4 years ago

Anyone else think the language used around the playfield situation sounds like a class in the making? I can hear the commercials now... "If you or anyone you know purchased a pinball machine from Stern, JJP, or AP from 2012 to 2019 and experienced any chipping, dimpling or other issues with the playfield, YOU may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Contact the law offices of Deeproot. We're on YOUR side"

Let's see say, 25k machines produced, settlement of $2k per machine makes $50mm. Contingency fees of 40%....hmmm

#5019 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I agree on that. Promising cash AND giving it to the people JPop screwed shows some very goodwill and is quite unheard of in the long history of pre orders screw up.
It doesn't leave much doubt on Robert's pocket depth. Where there is questions, I believe, is in his ability to build pinballs (And I won't even enter the consideration of building pinballs that relegates every single pinball maker to the stone age, and their clients to be suckers who bought crap).
I guess, writing a check is easy, unlike building pinballs !

Well I had the opportunity to receive a check or wait for a game. I chose the game because you have to respect the effort these guys are making.

It’s public record under the Reg D filing with the SEC and as of last week they have raised over $32 million dollars thus far in their equity raise

It’s capital creation and jobs with “accredited investor” money that was sitting on the sidelines. That’s a good thing

Pinball might be hard but with all that talent and money I’m hoping the results will be worth the wait

#5020 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s public record under the Reg D filing with the SEC and as of last week they have raised over $32 million dollars thus far in their equity raise

So they have raised another 15 million recently ? I’d be curious to know at what valuation.

What’s becoming clearer is that they dont plan on only making pinballs otherwise putting 30 million on the table to sell pinballs is a total nonsense.

#5021 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

So they have raised another 15 million recently ? I’d be curious to know at what valuation.
What’s becoming clearer is that they dont plan on only making pinballs otherwise putting 30 million on the table to sell pinballs is a total nonsense.

Yeah not bad since last years filing.

It obviously can’t be all about pinball. The original offering was for $35 million and it looks like they upped it to $37.5 million

#5022 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah not bad since last years filing.
It obviously can’t be all about pinball. The original offering was for $35 million and it looks like they upped it to $37.5 million

Well I hope it's still a little bit about pinball

#5023 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Man this is amazing. Legitimately one of the few reasons I have left to check-in on pinside every now and then.

Kewl! See ya next time!

#5024 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Fiberglass reinforced plywood that trailers and box truck bodies are made from wouldn't dent with a hammer. Also, phenolic resin sheets are amazingly durable as well.

Wrong. The PF is steel and the balls are wood. That'll "flip" the industry on its head!

#5025 4 years ago

ohboy (resized).pngohboy (resized).png

#5026 4 years ago

Not everyone likes to read - so here is another option.

#5027 4 years ago

I'm impressed that they are making an effort to communicate. It's easy to snipe from the sidelines, but I'm grateful for the information.

In my direct experience, the last 10% takes 85% of the time, so I'm not expecting a product anytime soon. Honestly I'd rather that they communicate 'we're alive, we're late, get over it' on a monthly basis rather than deliver a product that isn't ready.

My biggest takeaway is that it looks as if they've pulled back from a multi-product launch. Excellent news. I hope they focus on one great offering.

Taking the TWIP interview at face value, I've long felt that animations could use a big step up. That's exciting, and long overdue.

As long as the playfield plays the same, I would really love a longer-lasting and more durable surface. I haven't taken a magnifying glass to my playfields, but my newer pins have significantly more dimples than older ones -- with less plays.

Interesting comments about their three pipelines. If they can make it work it could be awesome.

200 innovations is a lot. I'm intrigued. Maybe they've figured out how to stop plungers from obliterating themselves on coil stops, and how to keep boards from blowing transistors. That would be nice.

Hearing they raised additional capital is promising as well.

Thanks for the update, Deeproot.

#5028 4 years ago

They are going to outdo Dreamworks. That should be quite profitable.

#5029 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Really wanna know what P3 Gerry did to piss him off LOL maybe he went to Gerry for a board set or something?

Probably something like this - or Gerry demanded his money from JPop.
Didn't JPop want purple pcbs ? Ben probably remembers

#5030 4 years ago

Inside deeproot's top secret new playfield material test facility.

tenor.giftenor.gif
#5031 4 years ago

A ten year playfield warranty sounds great, but who do you submit a claim to if deeproot pinball goes under in two or less after you buy a machine?

#5032 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A ten year playfield warranty sounds great, but who do you submit a claim to if deeproot pinball goes under in two or less after you buy a machine?

If a PF lasts two years without defects then that beats the hell out of the current choices that are delivered with defects...

Too soon?

#5033 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

If a PF lasts two years without defects then that beats the hell out of the current choices that are delivered with defects...
Too soon?

Sounds great again, but even with today's playfield problems, it can take two years just to get a response if you can get one at all.

I think I'm onto how to make playfields last much longer and guarantee them as such.

Redesign the balls!
Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#5034 4 years ago

I think people are over thinking deeproots 10 year playfield claim. I believe they will honor it.
Because, you can't damage vaporware.

#5035 4 years ago
20190925_070340 (resized).png20190925_070340 (resized).png
#5036 4 years ago

vid could damage it just by looking at it

#5037 4 years ago

Releasing a boatload of titles quickly, offering people two games for the one owed, indestructible playfields... if they make virtual pins, these things track...

#5038 4 years ago

Deeproot trashing on Stern and JJP is just really suspect and petty and shows absolutely no humility in entering a pretty tough market. Stern and JJP have built and shipped thousands of machines, working through all kinds of design, production, supplier, and manufacturing issues. Of course they are far from perfect but these are real companies selling real products to mostly happy customers for years if not decades.

Deeproot has shown nothing, built nothing, and proved nothing to anyone. The default should be that they build the trust and support of the community, and not they have an inherent advantage and assume that everyone is going to buy into their hyperbole and that they are going to revolution everything.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh, and 15 million is not a terrible amount of money for a startup "technology" company with a sizable team of employees that has been in operation for over three years and needs to build and maintain a sizable supply chain for manufacturing. How many internet startups have burned through 5X that and have barely been able to get a website or viable software application out the door.

#5040 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Deeproot trashing on Stern and JJP is just really suspect and petty and shows absolutely no humility in entering a pretty tough market.

From what I remember JJP used to trash Stern at shows when he was soliciting preorder money. Call the games stripped down, etc.

A lot of sales type people talk a big game because that’s what they do. I don’t like it, but it’s practically a stereotype with how common it is.

#5041 4 years ago

As a consumer I hope Deeproot knocks it out of the park. It’s really just that pinball dream......

#5042 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

From what I remember JJP used to trash Stern at shows when he was soliciting preorder money.

To say that is an understatement would be and understatement.

#5043 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

From what I remember JJP used to trash Stern at shows when he was soliciting preorder money. Call the games stripped down, etc.
A lot of sales type people talk a big game because that’s what they do. I don’t like it, but it’s practically a stereotype with how common it is.

That is, unfortunately, a very effective tactic. Just look at politics - that is 100% sales. And look how much trashing they do. The funny thing is, JJP has the games to back it up now. But they have also established their own niche with the boutique games

#5044 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

vid could damage it just by looking at it

vid (resized).jpgvid (resized).jpg

#5045 4 years ago

I remember Microsoft used to solicit me about their “total written from scratch” Windows 7 phone. Saying the code rewrite was “revolutionary”. I let the air out by saying “I don’t buy smartphones for code or rewrites, I buy them because I like them and they make my life more organized and easier”

Hopefully Deeproot doesn’t go down the same road and think we give a shit about 200 innovations. We only care about good fun pinball at a good price & value, the end

#5046 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I remember Microsoft used to solicit me about their “total written from scratch” Windows 7 phone. Saying the code rewrite was “revolutionary”. I let the air out by saying “I don’t buy smartphones for code or rewrites, I buy them because I like them and they make my life more organized and easier”
Hopefully Deeproot doesn’t go down the same road and think we give a shit about 200 innovations. We only care about good fun pinball at a good price & value, the end

I still use my Windows Phone as my main Phone, because in some areas it is still way ahead... not that many are left but, managing multiple business mail accounts and notifications is still the reason I use that thing. (And yes I own an relatively new iPhone for debugging code.)
Everything else is sure dead.

But WP7 was definately not written from scratch. I remember beeing on a trip (2015?) when suddenly most of my mail accounts couldn't synchronize anmyore because WP7 wasn't able to handle the latest security standards. - Because the mail client was an updated version of the Windows CE one.

Edit:
In addition, the Volume Buttons o the WP are on the right, wich for me (as a righty) make everything usable with one hand, where I have to holt the iPhone in the left hand and tapping with the right if I want to reach the buttons.
Of course, that makes the iPhone the better phone when the right hand is occupied and you may suddenly want to change the volume,... like watching p0rn.

#5047 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

For sure, the game has to be great. But if we're choosing between several great games, as we all are, innovations that improve durability and ease of maintenance could make the difference.

#5048 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

For sure, the game has to be great. But if we're choosing between several great games, as we all are, innovations that improve durability and ease of maintenance could make the difference.

Great point.

#5049 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

But they have also established their own niche with the boutique games

Umm...no, just no. They do make games. "Boutique"? Not a chance. Good grief...

#5050 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Of course, that makes the iPhone the better phone when the right hand is occupied and you may suddenly want to change the volume,... like watching p0rn.

Jesus dude... too much information!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.