Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 314 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Marvin
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball Expo Article Mark Salas[241] (resized).png
    1FBF04EB-4F87-4D5A-8BAB-127CD3DCC7BF (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180122_170958052 (resized).jpg
    E35655FD-C9DC-4ACC-B7FA-EB1662F9B06F (resized).jpeg
    20150117_ARCEXPO_web.jpg
    550011db7f_hmz_20140103_1111 (resized).jpg
    problem (resized).png
    Illinois Pinball Show (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #243 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by goatdan (6 years ago)

Post #284 copy of announcement from Rob Berk re: full ownership of the show Posted by Litedpinballmods (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 6 years ago

In my mind, as a 17-year Expo attendee, there is no choice between two shows. There is only the Schaumburg show. I'm local and even I won't support whatever's left of Expo. Rob was smart to schedule this a month before Expo, not after. Be first, be better. Zero chance folks will fly or haul games to Chicago in back to back months, for a shell of a show that's been perceived as dying for years.

#33 6 years ago

Swear to god when I was eating breakfast this morning, I thought to to myself, "pinball has been too quiet lately. There needs to be a new game announcement, industry shakeup, something." Am I living the Truman show?

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Anyone but me wish it was Rob in Oct at the Westin and Mike in Sept in Schaumburg?

Not really. Chicago weather is almost always great in mid-September (jinx!), and Schaumburg is a better location. Closer to manufacturers, tons of dining options, Level 257 nearby for possible tie-in events, closer to Pinball Life, more centrally located in the 'burbs, plenty of nearby shopping (massive mall, Ikea, Legoland, etc.) for those traveling with families who don't want 24/7 pinball, etc.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I mean, sure - but the Pinball Expo site still says that it's happening, and it has information for 2018 on it.

Expo site is the last place I'd look for up-to-date Expo info. Vast majority of that site still references the 2017 show. As best I can tell they updated two rows of text on the homepage to refer to the 2018 dates.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Probably hard pass it all this year and see how it goes.

Can't blame you one bit. Hopefully us local guys can help build one of the shows into a worthy destination again.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Palooza reminds me of the music festivals of the nineties.

Lollapalooza still exists, in Chicago every summer. Maybe that factored into the name decision. I'm still not super crazy about it, though.

just brainstorming:
    Chicago Pinball Open
    Schaumburg Pinball Showcase
    Windy City Pinfest

or since everyone loves alliteration:
    Fall Flipper Fair

#86 6 years ago

I see what you did there.

#87 6 years ago

I was curious about the trademark implications of calling anything a palooza. Turns out you can get away with it:

"I did have a happy thought in my heart to know that it has become part of the American vernaclular, with all these funny paloozas," the festival founder and Jane's Addiction frontman said recently. "I'll share a funny story with you. Early on, as people started to kind of use the palooza aspect of it, typical to lawyers, I was getting calls all day long from a lawyer: 'Somebody's calling themselves 'Clamapalooza' and they're doing clams and oysters. Somebody's doing Waterpalooza; they want to make a bottle out of it. We've gotta stop 'em!' And I was at first really taken aback and I was put on my heels about it. But they were calling me all day long and I stopped and I thought about it. I said: These guys are probably making so much money trying to shut these 'palooza' people down. Better I should let 'em do it. Because I don't intend on paying these lawyers all this money, No. 1. And No. 2, it's actually advertisement for Lollapalooza. So I said, 'You know what? Don't bother 'em. Unless they're calling it Lollapalooza, leave 'em alone and don't call me.' And you know, it really did work out."

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So...I wonder which one Tilt Amusements plans on picking for this....whichever one it is will have an automatic 120 or so person advantage over the other, instantly. Which nobody cares about.

....wait for it...

Or DO they?

Only matters if any of you rounders have to pay admission to hang around the lobby all weekend. Hopefully the tourney at the new show (if any) won't be so divorced from the rest of the proceedings.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

No, it IS NOT a WAY WAY better location and venue than the Westin Wheeling.

I’ve lived in the area and attended Expo for two decades. Schaumburg > Wheeling.

Quoted from MrBally:

Good luck finding a venue in six months with a huge, first class hotel and ballrooms that can properly service a show like what Rob Berk is proposing.

You think he just now started looking for a venue? Hotels with ballrooms are a dime a dozen around here. I’m guessing he has one in mind, if not already booked.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I disagree on the Schaumburg > Wheeling opinion.

Wheeling is such a great town for events that they built a 150,000 square foot convention center with a 4-star hotel there in 2006. Wait, never mind, that was Schaumburg.

Quoted from MrBally:

Name just a half-dozen Schaumburg hotels with meeting/ballroom space that is double the size of the Westin Wheeling. I don't think there are even four.

I’m not researching the square footage of every hotel in the area, but if you have more free time than I do, knock yourself out. I started with the obvious one: http://www.schaumburgconventioncenter.com/

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Thats because you live closer. .

I'm trying to convince Berk to move it to the Super 8 at the intersection of I-90 and 31.

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Berk should transfer the URL ownership to Mike, and let mike re-do the website.

i woULD pay GOOD money$$$ to SEe THAT ..

#150 6 years ago

It's fun to correctly guess who downvoted a post (not my post, FWIW).

#171 6 years ago

I was there! One of the few.

That was a video game show, barely promoted, and in expensive parking hell aka Rosemont. Hopefully the new show won't share any of that.

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

One thing Expo had that others didn't is all the industry folks since Chicago was the centre of the pinball universe. But now all the new pinball companies are headquartered elsewhere, so it's not as easy to gather all the people together. So that's another thing that's gone.

They may be headquartered elsewhere, but nearly all the creative talent still lives in the Chicago area. JJP's design office is 10 minutes from Schaumburg. American Pinball is here. Scott Danesi lives in the 'burbs. Spooky is two hours away.

And of course, Stern.

3 weeks later
    #253 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Sad to see the roof collapsing on this long run show.

Did you read the latest update? Expo goes on, minus one person.

#266 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

As time went by Mike also bent over backwards to have Gene come back to Expo.

As time goes by I'm sure Mike will be welcome back at Expo. I could understand why Rob might not want him there this year (if that is indeed the case). Seems like every person who bumps into Mike would want to rehash the drama, even if Mike was just minding his business. Not a good vibe.

#267 6 years ago

In happier news, Trent's tourney will be back and better than ever. Stern circuit, automated queueing, the whole shebang.

Flipout 2018 will be at the Westin on the original dates of Pinball Expo. Oct 18-21.

Format is the same as last year with seeding on Thursday and the B bracket starting Friday morning.

This year we will be using Never Drains queueing system for classics AND Thursday seeding in the main. #ABL

I recommend getting there early Thursday to make sure you get all your seeding games in.

We are a Stern Pro Circuit tournament this year. Hope everyone can make it again this year!

As usual the A division champion will get a new Stern pinball!

Questions and comments contact Trent at [email redacted].

#294 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

So where is the true story to be found?

I don't care about the true story (aka drama); just want a good local pinball show that doesn't yell at its volunteers.

#295 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Asking to confirm if the Cincinnati Pinball League and the Chicago Pinball Mafia plan to bring their games to the "Berk Enterprises Expo".

Seems like Cinci is out, but I plan to bring at least one game, and encourage my fellow ex-mafiosi to do the same.

Some of you guys are way too invested in the squabbling of a couple senior citizens. The show doesn't exist without us. Let's make it a good one.

#298 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

Next weekend pretend you are going to Expo except when you get to Milwaukee ave. Turn north. Drive for a little more than hour and you will be at MGC. A great pinball show with no yelling at volunteers.

I'll be there, but I prefer my local show.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-exclusive-expo-2018-cancelled-replaced-by-pinball-palooza?tu=yancy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.