Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 314 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Marvin
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball Expo Article Mark Salas[241] (resized).png
    1FBF04EB-4F87-4D5A-8BAB-127CD3DCC7BF (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180122_170958052 (resized).jpg
    E35655FD-C9DC-4ACC-B7FA-EB1662F9B06F (resized).jpeg
    20150117_ARCEXPO_web.jpg
    550011db7f_hmz_20140103_1111 (resized).jpg
    problem (resized).png
    Illinois Pinball Show (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 6 years ago

Sad to see the roof collapsing on this long run show.

#252 6 years ago

What a cluster F. While I had reservations, I was quite looking forward to MGC south and helping spread the magic that we make up here. Bummed for both Mike and Dan.

#253 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Sad to see the roof collapsing on this long run show.

Did you read the latest update? Expo goes on, minus one person.

#254 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Correction. Expo goes on minus one person + everything that person brought to the show. I get that Mike's fan club is not as large as it might have been in the past, it will just be interesting to see what a show looks like without all his behind-the-scene efforts.

#255 6 years ago

It sounds like it may be time to sit out this show completely and let things work themselves out for a year.

My time off is too valuable to plan on even the extended weekend unless some big players in the community announce that they are going to make things happen around this. If Dan/Gary were doing MGC south I would have been all in as we know they are proven as good dudes that can put a show together. Without them and all the infighting (that sounds far from over), I am not sure what to think...

#256 6 years ago

Truly a sad time for Expo.

#257 6 years ago

once again not my idea I tired hard to work things out with Berk was dead set on doing it alone with all control

#258 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Yes i have followed all. It just keeps changing!

#259 6 years ago

I just made reservations yesterday too, good thing I can cancel them without a $ loss. Will be staying tuned. Hoping for changes.

#260 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It sounds like it may be time to sit out this show completely

That is how I feel if Mike isn't even allowed to attend.

LTG : (

#261 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That is how I feel if Mike isn't even allowed to attend.
    LTG : (

Didn't Mike do the same with Gene C. wouldn't let him attend?

#262 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

is that true?

(before my time)

#263 6 years ago

yes Gene had a bogus lawsuit against me and my son which was dropped after a lawyer got involved and WILLIAMS told him so as It was bogus.. Cost me like 5600 for complete bullshit.. So yes Gene was told to stay away back then...

#264 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

As time went by Mike also bent over backwards to have Gene come back to Expo.

LTG : )

#265 6 years ago

I always looked forward to Expo each year even though it's a long drive.

I'll be heading to the York/White Rose show in October instead. The 3 1/2 hour shorter trip will be nice!

#266 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

As time went by Mike also bent over backwards to have Gene come back to Expo.

As time goes by I'm sure Mike will be welcome back at Expo. I could understand why Rob might not want him there this year (if that is indeed the case). Seems like every person who bumps into Mike would want to rehash the drama, even if Mike was just minding his business. Not a good vibe.

#267 6 years ago

In happier news, Trent's tourney will be back and better than ever. Stern circuit, automated queueing, the whole shebang.

Flipout 2018 will be at the Westin on the original dates of Pinball Expo. Oct 18-21.

Format is the same as last year with seeding on Thursday and the B bracket starting Friday morning.

This year we will be using Never Drains queueing system for classics AND Thursday seeding in the main. #ABL

I recommend getting there early Thursday to make sure you get all your seeding games in.

We are a Stern Pro Circuit tournament this year. Hope everyone can make it again this year!

As usual the A division champion will get a new Stern pinball!

Questions and comments contact Trent at [email redacted].

#268 6 years ago

I don’t think anyone will ever know the full story behind this whole Expo mess, but I don’t suggest boycotting the show because there was an argument. No one likes to here that Mike and Rob have split, but the show still will go on. Not only is it unfair to turn against Rob with uncertain facts, but it is unfair to turn against a show that many people look forward to each year. If everyone skips the Expo because of this, there will be no more Expo. The show is only as big as the community makes it.

#269 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwizard878:

I don’t think anyone will ever know the full story behind this whole Expo mess.

I disagree, but I would peg the number of people who know everything at like four, and I don't think any of us care to go further with it.

Having said that, I would suggest the same thing that I do to everyone - support the show or don't support the show based on the merits that you see for the show itself. If the show doesn't look like it is worth your time, you shouldn't feel compelled to do something for it - in this case, that will be up to Rob to change your mind. If the show seems compelling and interesting, you should absolutely go support it.

I say the exact same thing about people coming to the Midwest Gaming Classic. A few months ago someone demanded that we share information with them about the show that I didn't feel comfortable saying, and I said if what we share online isn't good enough, then by all means, I support them not coming. It's up to whomever is the show promoter to figure out what makes the most sense.

Now, having said all that, I wish Rob the best. I think no matter what happened, this was going to be difficult to do. I don't know what to expect out of the show, and I'll watch and hope I can make it down this year.

I also wish Mike the best. I do think that he got the short end of the stick, but I also understand the decisions that Rob made. I would not have made the same decisions myself, which is a feeling that I have expressed with Rob myself, but it was his call not mine for that.

It's a bad situation all around. Like I said, it pains me to see it go down the way that it did, and for a show run by two people who I both consider friends and looked up to as inspiration when we were starting our own show years ago, it sucks to see it break up like this. Obviously, changes had to be made, and Rob did what he felt was needed to make those changes. We'll see how it all works in about six months!

#270 6 years ago

Random thoughts on what has transpired over the past few weeks with Expo. These are simply my opinions...

I was excited for Expo again when I learned Dan and Gary would be taking on most of the organization of the show.

Rob Craig is a great guy and has experience putting on a great show for a number of years. He should be a great addition to Expo.

Mike taking a step back is a great thing for Expo, but I don't feel he should be banned from the show. It was his show just as much as it was Rob's. He should still be involved, he should still have his booth, but he should not have any contact with vendors or volunteers.

Expo has always been my favorite show in the country, it has a vibe and energy all its own, and definitely all about the people. Recent years have seen the show decline a lot. I'm hopeful that new blood can bring the show back to the great event that it has been.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#271 6 years ago

I like Expo - I hope it's a good show regardless however it all plays out in the end this year. On my calendar and looking forward to it.

#272 6 years ago

I'm a fan of Rob Craig. It could just be him in a room and I would attend.

-c

#273 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

-c

I agree solid guy for sure. super knowledgeable and wise

#274 6 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Mike taking a step back is a great thing for Expo, but I don't feel he should be banned from the show. It was his show just as much as it was Rob's. He should still be involved, he should still have his booth, but he should not have any contact with vendors or volunteers.

I have a feeling that Mike is not welcome for just this year. What Rob is probably avoiding is the possible conflict and confrontations that would happen with Mike and his booth that would have negative impact on the show. It's human, people will take sides and create chaos and bad vibes throughout the show.

#275 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I always looked forward to Expo each year even though it's a long drive.
    I'll be heading to the York/White Rose show in October instead. The 3 1/2 hour shorter trip will be nice!

I'll be doing the same. Mike is a GREAT GUY!! Mike being banned from the show is complete bullshit., What Rob did to Mike was Slimy. Mike would have never taken the buyout if Rob didn't tell him something different. Unfortunately that was never on paper.

#276 6 years ago

Rob is not the nicest person involved with Expo.

#277 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

-c

Quoted from cavalier88z24:

I agree solid guy for sure. super knowledgeable and wise

+1.
    While at TPF 2018 he came up to me and asked me about the game I was playing. We had a chill conversation and I told him I went to Expo in 2015 and 2016, but not planning to ever go back again. He listened to what I said and wanted to know my thoughts. I wish him the best towards his endeavors with Expo and will try to make it again in the future.

#278 6 years ago

Just speculation on my part
    but feel the real reason for the split up
    boils down to
    $$$$$

my two cents

#279 6 years ago

Zero interest in supporting Expo at this point. Those of you who have enjoyed the Cincinnati pins in the freeplay hall, consider attending Pincinnati ( www.pincinnati.com ) instead.

#280 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Zero interest in supporting Expo at this point. Those of you who have enjoyed the Cincinnati pins in the freeplay hall, consider attending Pincinnati ( http://www.pincinnati.com ) instead.

Thanks a lot, Rob. Hope you're happy.

#281 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Zero interest in supporting Expo at this point. Those of you who have enjoyed the Cincinnati pins in the freeplay hall, consider attending Pincinnati ( http://www.pincinnati.com ) instead.

Dang, I'll miss the tank top and flip flops in 30 degree weather.

#282 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Thanks a lot, Rob. Hope you're happy.

No more free chocolate for Bridgette.

Happy wife, happy life......

#283 6 years ago

AGAIN I tried since november to talk to BERK to work things out at least for this year but he refused. I did not want to have it go down like this at all..

#284 6 years ago

From Berk Enterprises, Inc. 4-6-2018

Dear Friends of Pinball Expo,
    At the conclusion of last year’s 33rd annual Pinball Expo, and with great consideration, I made the decision to dissolve my partnership with Mike Pacak. I felt the energy and vision that I had for the show was waning and that a change was needed for the survival of Pinball Expo. It took several months to work through the details, but I am happy to announce that in March I acquired full ownership, which means we are on schedule for the 34th annual Pinball Expo, to be held at the Westin in Wheeling, IL, from October 17-21, 2018.
    In the process of planning for a spectacular event, I have secured Dave Fix as the Vendor Hall Chairman, and Rob Craig who will manage our social media plus help us secure games for the free play area. Both have a passion for pinball and will be great additions to our staff!
    My mission now is to fill the Vendor Hall and Game Hall to their capacity. I want the energy and excitement for pinball to be at an all-time high! I am committed to giving each attendee, vendor, and speaker my time and effort so that Pinball Expo will be fun for everyone. I welcome your comments.
    I look forward to seeing friends, old and new, this October!

Rob Berk, Chairman and Founder

#285 6 years ago

So now Rob is the “Founder” of Expo also? Back in history they would carve off the name of leaders etched in stone to erase their exsistance. Now we just type it up in our email.
    I’ve kept my mouth shut being one of the few that know the rest of the story but that’s a real dick move Mr Berk!
    33 years an that’s all there is?

1FBF04EB-4F87-4D5A-8BAB-127CD3DCC7BF (resized).jpeg1FBF04EB-4F87-4D5A-8BAB-127CD3DCC7BF (resized).jpeg

Added over 6 years ago: Mike Pacak confirmed it was Rob's idea. My apologies to Mr. Berk.

#286 6 years ago

Reference

Pinball Expo Article Mark Salas[241] (resized).pngPinball Expo Article Mark Salas[241] (resized).png

See you in Texas!

#287 6 years ago

It always seemed to me that Rob was the (more) silent partner, perfectly wiling to take the credit when things went well and let Mike take the blame when they didn't. For years I didn't realize they were equal partners.

Mike has an incredible talent for shooting himself in the foot and his stubbornness and resistance to constructive criticism legendary, but whatever you think of Mike and his methods, his contribution to pinball and Expo cannot be erased or ignored by an email written by someone who couldn't even be bothered with a simple acknowledgment or thank you for 33 years of hard work and dedication.

I don't know if I'll ever know the whole story, but when I got the email it really rubbed me the wrong way. I understand the desire for Rob to move forward but both the competing (now canceled) show and this seem more petty than visionary.

#288 6 years ago

History is written by the victor. The truth is whispered.
    People say they know the true story but do share it with others.
    So where is the true story to be found?

#289 6 years ago

Asking to confirm if the Cincinnati Pinball League and the Chicago Pinball Mafia plan to bring their games to the "Berk Enterprises Expo".

#290 6 years ago

This is like a celebrity divorce and I only hope they do what's best for the children.

#291 6 years ago

The show must go on.

#292 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

History is written by the victor. The truth is whispered.
    People say they know the true story but do share it with others.

"The birth and growth of Pinball Expo
    Founded in 1985, Pinball Expo is the longest-running event dedicated to pinball. It was conceived in 1984 by Robert "Rob" Berk of Warren, OH with the purpose of honoring his heroes of the pinball industry; the artists and designers. With the assistance of Bill Kurtz of Cleveland, OH and LATER Mike Pacak of Canfield, OH, the trio held their first event over the weekend of November 22–24, 1985 at the Holiday Inn O'Hare/Kennedy in Rosemont, IL. The inaugural event attracted around 100 attendees from all parts of the world and a dozen vendors."

Bill was a very, very big part of this. He knows the true story and I see that he is returning to this years Expo. Glad to see him return after all of these years.

#293 6 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

The show must go on.

Must it? I mean, I think "A" show must go on, but this show is just a debacle...as observed from the bleacher seats. I haven't attended Expo as a real guest in years, and this does not give me the warm and fuzzy feeling I need to return.

Just my personal opinion.

#294 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

I don't care about the true story (aka drama); just want a good local pinball show that doesn't yell at its volunteers.

#295 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Asking to confirm if the Cincinnati Pinball League and the Chicago Pinball Mafia plan to bring their games to the "Berk Enterprises Expo".

Seems like Cinci is out, but I plan to bring at least one game, and encourage my fellow ex-mafiosi to do the same.

Some of you guys are way too invested in the squabbling of a couple senior citizens. The show doesn't exist without us. Let's make it a good one.

#296 6 years ago

Been to 14 in a row and plan on going this fall, too. Why do you think the attendance was down the last 2 years?
    Why did James @ pinballinc say he'll never return to expo? Why did Rob Anthony not have is famous room at expo last year?
    Why are they replaced by people selling ink pens?
    Answer those questions and I'll bet they all have the same answer.

#297 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I don't care about the true story (aka drama); just want a good local pinball show that doesn't yell at its volunteers.

Next weekend pretend you are going to Expo except when you get to Milwaukee ave. Turn north. Drive for a little more than hour and you will be at MGC. A great pinball show with no yelling at volunteers.

#298 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

Next weekend pretend you are going to Expo except when you get to Milwaukee ave. Turn north. Drive for a little more than hour and you will be at MGC. A great pinball show with no yelling at volunteers.

I'll be there, but I prefer my local show.

#299 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Seems like Cinci is out, but I plan to bring at least one game, and encourage my fellow ex-mafiosi to do the same. Some of you guys are way too invested in the squabbling of a couple senior citizens. The show doesn't exist without us. Let's make it a good one.

Just to be clear, I really don't care about the squabbling - that's between Rob and Mike. However, without Mike, Expo is "just another pinball show" to me, and I have zero interest in hauling games to Chicago to support "just another pinball show." Right now I'll support Louisville and Pincinnati with games. I might *go* to Expo, but having never paid admission in the past, it'd be hard to pony up $150 for it. I see no reason for CPM to stop supporting it since it's your local show.

#300 6 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

Why did Rob Anthony not have is famous room at expo last year?

You really had to ask this after it's been covered many times? Search it out.

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-exclusive-expo-2018-cancelled-replaced-by-pinball-palooza/page/6?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.