Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 314 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Marvin
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball Expo Article Mark Salas[241] (resized).png
    1FBF04EB-4F87-4D5A-8BAB-127CD3DCC7BF (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180122_170958052 (resized).jpg
    E35655FD-C9DC-4ACC-B7FA-EB1662F9B06F (resized).jpeg
    20150117_ARCEXPO_web.jpg
    550011db7f_hmz_20140103_1111 (resized).jpg
    problem (resized).png
    Illinois Pinball Show (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

To clarify the headline, "EXPO 2018 Cancelled, Replaced by Pinball Palooza?" is supposed to read as one big question.

From some Facebook posts made by Mike this morning, it sounds like he is planning to still hold Expo October 17-21. So two pinball shows in Chicago in the fall.

I find it an odd choice of headline, especially since it seems like Mike was more than willing to share that Expo would still continue regardless.

Quoted from Whysnow:

MGC is electric with fun and energy. Honestly my favorite show just because there is so much to do

Aw, thanks

Quoted from Whysnow:

drunken orgies

Wait, there are? I feel like I should be aware of this!!

Quoted from toyotaboy:

only room for one chicago show, id prefer people start attending the alternate one and support change.

I don't agree that there is only room for one Chicago show, but honestly, what is the change happening here? Just that a different show is being run?

For anyone that forgot, Rob ran an "arcade" show (featuring pinball) a couple years ago a month or so before Expo. I wasn't able to attend but I know some people that were. I figure this will be similar. It wouldn't seem like too much of a change to me.

Quoted from epthegeek:

MGC could use the support this year especially, with the move to the convention center.

Thanks And who knows, maybe in 2019 we'll need the support in a second MGC show in Chicago too I just want there to be a great show there without the drama.

We have been doing legwork for MGC Chicago (or whatever we'd call it) for years, and it has been discussed with all of the players of the other Chicago-based shows (I guess now four or five of them, not just pinball!). Maybe it's time?

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I just want there to be a great show there without the drama.

Publicly stating right now, I am 100% supporting you.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

bussiness as usual

problem (resized).pngproblem (resized).png

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I find it an odd choice of headline, especially since it seems like Mike was more than willing to share that Expo would still continue regardless.

I was going by what Rob said in the interview. I talked to him last night and wrote this post late last night. I didn't contact Mike, Spooky, Stern, JJP, or any exhibitors about Rob's comments.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I was going by what Rob said in the interview. I talked to him last night and wrote this post late last night. I didn't contact Mike, Spooky, Stern, JJP, or any exhibitors about Rob's comments.

Wow. Okay, more shocking that Rob would just say that it was cancelled when it wasn't, and I would have to believe he knew that.

#56 6 years ago

Can't see how this news can be anything but a good thing. It was painfully clear that Expo needed some much needed upgrades in every area. It was an outdated show that just kept getting worse. Get a new team together to provide better production value, events, organization and really invest into the future of the event instead of the dying shell of a show Expo was becoming.

Best of luck.

#57 6 years ago

I'm surprised that Pinball Expo lasted as long as it did given how many horror stories pop up online EVERY SINGLE YEAR in regards to how Mike treats vendors, volunteers, and attendees. Change is good, as long as it's positive change.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Wow. Okay, more shocking that Rob would just say that it was cancelled when it wasn't, and I would have to believe he knew that.

Maybe since Rob and Mike are parting ways the EXPO name can't be used anymore unless some agreement is worked out. Rob was probably just saying, there will be NO expo, but Mike can still carry on with his show, but just called something else. So I guess technically there will be NO expo. I am just guessing here...IDK.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I think Rob was saying that Expo 2018 is cancelled. He is announcing and starting a new show in Sept. It's not his place to announce Mike's new show in Oct (that happens to be the same dates and venue as the old show).

Anyone but me wish it was Rob in Oct at the Westin and Mike in Sept in Schaumburg?

#60 6 years ago

Schaumberg is a WAY WAY better location and venue for this!

I hope Rob can get this all together this year. Expo was dead/dying the past few years and I am excited to see a chance for something new to come from this.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Schaumberg is a WAY WAY better location and venue for this!

agreed.. stern, jjp, and american pinball can bring games to palooza, then drive a couple miles to level257 to drop off a test game. they are all much closer to schaumburg than wheeling. depending on what terry from PBL decides, the shuttle between shows could be a much shorter ride.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Anyone but me wish it was Rob in Oct at the Westin and Mike in Sept in Schaumburg?

Not really. Chicago weather is almost always great in mid-September (jinx!), and Schaumburg is a better location. Closer to manufacturers, tons of dining options, Level 257 nearby for possible tie-in events, closer to Pinball Life, more centrally located in the 'burbs, plenty of nearby shopping (massive mall, Ikea, Legoland, etc.) for those traveling with families who don't want 24/7 pinball, etc.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

To be clear here is what Rob says in the interview: When asked if Pinball Expo is still planning to go on he responds "That's a question even I don't know" along with saying there are lawyers involved regarding the name. He is later asked if Palooza is replacing Expo he responds "In my mind yes."

#64 6 years ago

I was more thinking about tradition and industry support factors in the above comment -

I'm cautiously optimistic about Rob's show. I'd like to hear more. If he gets industry support and hobby support - what else from other shows could or should be incorporated?

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good to know, thanks! Really want to go to TPF but can't make it this year. I'm considering going to MGC, looks like a fun show.

You will have a good time. I will personally see to it.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Maybe since Rob and Mike are parting ways the EXPO name can't be used anymore unless some agreement is worked out. Rob was probably just saying, there will be NO expo, but Mike can still carry on with his show, but just called something else. So I guess technically there will be NO expo. I am just guessing here...IDK.

I mean, sure - but the Pinball Expo site still says that it's happening, and it has information for 2018 on it.

http://www.pinballexpo.net/

If there was actually a legal fight over it, shouldn't the web site be pointing to both new shows? It's weird to say that there is no show and then have a page still with the show information showing that there will be. I don't get the timing on this at all.

Unless they just want to cannibalize each other's markets, which I didn't think that would have been the goal?

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

You will have a good time. I will personally see to it.

oh yeah!!!!

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Unless they just want to cannibalize each other's markets, which I didn't think that would have been the goal?

and this could happen. Whoever gets industry support will win.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Why wouldn't you contact Mike? Seems to me this was a one sided/ or not the whole story

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames007:

Why wouldn't you contact Mike? Seems to me this was a one sided/ or not the whole story

Could have posted it with a headline of "OMG, check out what this Rob guy said" as is. No 'investigative reporting' necessary then.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

... closer to Pinball Life, ...

Well closer to their regional headquarters at least. It always tans my hide how much further I have to go to get to their world headquarters!

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

and this could happen. Whoever gets industry support will win.

So MGC and TPF?

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I mean, sure - but the Pinball Expo site still says that it's happening, and it has information for 2018 on it.

Expo site is the last place I'd look for up-to-date Expo info. Vast majority of that site still references the 2017 show. As best I can tell they updated two rows of text on the homepage to refer to the 2018 dates.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Expo site is the last place I'd look for up-to-date Expo info. Vast majority of that site still references the 2017 show. As best I can tell they updated two rows of text on the homepage to refer to the 2018 dates.

They have not updated the vendor list in years. There are vendors on their from 15 years ago still who have not operated in years.

#75 6 years ago

I skipped Expo last year, first one in 5 years that I missed. I just didn't care anymore, and from people I talked to I wasn't alone.

Some change sounds great, wish everyone luck, but I'll be honest, I'm pretty unlikely to pay all the money for flights and hotel to come try something out if it's full of uncertainty and infighting. Probably hard pass it all this year and see how it goes. Two shows fighting in the same general area just sounds like two iffy shows to me. Hard to see an upside for pinball in that.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I skipped Expo last year, first one in 5 years that I missed. I just didn't care anymore, and from people I talked to I wasn't alone.
    Some change sounds great, wish everyone luck, but I'll be honest, I'm pretty unlikely to pay all the money for flights and hotel to come try something out if it's full of uncertainty and infighting. Probably hard pass it all this year and see how it goes. Two shows fighting in the same general area just sounds like two iffy shows to me. Hard to see an upside for pinball in that.

Yep, to be honest there are just to many shows already. To add another show or maybe two to Chicago area would just be to much. resources would be spread to thin and no way all vendors and manufacturers could do ALL the shows.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames007:

It was late last night when I finished transcribing and I was under the impression that nothing in the interview would surprise Mike (or any manufacturer for that matter), I thought what was shared in the interview was well known by industry people.

I just got off the phone with Mike and will be posting his side of the story tomorrow.

Hopefully things can be worked out between all parties and we can have an amazing (drama-free) pinball show in Chicago.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

It was late last night when I finished transcribing and I was under the impression that nothing in the interview would surprise Mike (or any manufacturer for that matter), I thought what was shared in the interview was well known by industry people.
    I just got off the phone with Mike and will be posting his side of the story tomorrow.
    Hopefully things can be worked out between all parties and we can have an amazing (drama-free) pinball show in Chicago.

Awesome news, can't wait to hear his side. Thanks

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I'm surprised that Pinball Expo lasted as long as it did given how many horror stories pop up online EVERY SINGLE YEAR i

Not everybody reads Rec Games Pinball. Not everybody reads Pinside.

Many just go for the pinball. Which they will keep doing.

LTG : )

#80 6 years ago

As far as I know, a new show has been talked about seriously for a couple years now. If there really are 2 shows this year, the vendors and the patrons will quickly demonstrate which show they are going to support and will weed out the competition.

I personally feel Schaumburg is the perfect epicenter for all of this and O'Hare is minutes away.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Probably hard pass it all this year and see how it goes.

Can't blame you one bit. Hopefully us local guys can help build one of the shows into a worthy destination again.

#82 6 years ago

Pinball palooza, not a great choice IMO.

Something like - Chicago Coin op Exposition
    . - Chicago Pinball Fair

Expo to me from reading pin side is the most 'industry like' show and it needs a name that refernces that. Palooza reminds me of the music festivals of the nineties.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Palooza reminds me of the music festivals of the nineties.

Lollapalooza still exists, in Chicago every summer. Maybe that factored into the name decision. I'm still not super crazy about it, though.

just brainstorming:
    Chicago Pinball Open
    Schaumburg Pinball Showcase
    Windy City Pinfest

or since everyone loves alliteration:
    Fall Flipper Fair

#84 6 years ago

'Flippers Major International Knowledge Experience'

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

'Flippers Major International Knowledge Experience'

subtle

#86 6 years ago

I see what you did there.

#87 6 years ago

I was curious about the trademark implications of calling anything a palooza. Turns out you can get away with it:

"I did have a happy thought in my heart to know that it has become part of the American vernaclular, with all these funny paloozas," the festival founder and Jane's Addiction frontman said recently. "I'll share a funny story with you. Early on, as people started to kind of use the palooza aspect of it, typical to lawyers, I was getting calls all day long from a lawyer: 'Somebody's calling themselves 'Clamapalooza' and they're doing clams and oysters. Somebody's doing Waterpalooza; they want to make a bottle out of it. We've gotta stop 'em!' And I was at first really taken aback and I was put on my heels about it. But they were calling me all day long and I stopped and I thought about it. I said: These guys are probably making so much money trying to shut these 'palooza' people down. Better I should let 'em do it. Because I don't intend on paying these lawyers all this money, No. 1. And No. 2, it's actually advertisement for Lollapalooza. So I said, 'You know what? Don't bother 'em. Unless they're calling it Lollapalooza, leave 'em alone and don't call me.' And you know, it really did work out."

#88 6 years ago

That’s what I was thinking,kind of an open ended statement!

#89 6 years ago

Pinpalooza is a terrible name. It reminds me of when everything was called
    “xxxxStock” but then 1992 rolled around and now everything was “xxxxPalooza.”

Regardless another thought occurred to me beyond those grouchy rantings

- obviously most people
    Will choose one show over the other. Myself, and all the other tournament players (the people nobody cares about doing the thing nobody cares about) will go to the one with the tournament.

So...I wonder which one Tilt Amusements plans on picking for this....whichever one it is will have an automatic 120 or so person advantage over the other, instantly. Which nobody cares about.

....wait for it...

Or DO they?

#90 6 years ago

At this point Trent will be at show at Westin running tournament in october MUCH more to come I never wanted it to come down this way was not my choice on how to split up if we had to..

#91 6 years ago

I’ll go to both yet. More pins more fun. But then again it’s only a three hour and two White Castle drive for me.

#92 6 years ago

What about Rob Berk and his shiny balls......expo.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So...I wonder which one Tilt Amusements plans on picking for this....whichever one it is will have an automatic 120 or so person advantage over the other, instantly. Which nobody cares about.

I heard both...

I am assuming that means you will go to both?

#94 6 years ago

Wherever Pat Lawlor's Toy Story is going to be debuted and Steve Ritchie's unlicensed game is, that's where I'll be.

#95 6 years ago

Which show will have the designer pens?

That's where I'll be.

550011db7f_hmz_20140103_1111 (resized).jpg550011db7f_hmz_20140103_1111 (resized).jpg

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Which show will have the designer pens?

crossing my fingers for a good journal book vendor to use said pen

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

....wait for it...

Or DO they?

Only matters if any of you rounders have to pay admission to hang around the lobby all weekend. Hopefully the tourney at the new show (if any) won't be so divorced from the rest of the proceedings.

#99 6 years ago

From a vendors perspective the Expo has not been what it used to be. Requests for venue change have been requested but were met with very little success. A venue change has been ignored due to current monetary deals. Moving vendor materials in and out continued to be problematic. Parking at the venue on the weekend continues to be a problem. Some vendors had problems and self ostracized themselves from the Expo.

Vendors pay big bucks for booths and need a ROI. It isn't happening except for getting some limited product visibility. As a result there is declining vendor participation.

What is the purpose of a Pinball Expo -- to make money or to promote pinball or both? Mike P. likes pinball, but has some difficulties relating in a personable manner in some heated instances. Early on Mike was easy to deal with because is was more hobby less business. He was fun but times have changed.

#100 6 years ago

Mike pacak was alot younger then things will be great will tell it all soon

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-exclusive-expo-2018-cancelled-replaced-by-pinball-palooza/page/2?hl=jlebowski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.