Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 314 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Marvin
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball Expo Article Mark Salas[241] (resized).png
    1FBF04EB-4F87-4D5A-8BAB-127CD3DCC7BF (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180122_170958052 (resized).jpg
    E35655FD-C9DC-4ACC-B7FA-EB1662F9B06F (resized).jpeg
    20150117_ARCEXPO_web.jpg
    550011db7f_hmz_20140103_1111 (resized).jpg
    problem (resized).png
    Illinois Pinball Show (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #243 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by goatdan (5 years ago)

Post #284 copy of announcement from Rob Berk re: full ownership of the show Posted by Litedpinballmods (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 6 years ago

What is going on with Pinball Expo? Hear from Rob Berk and Mike Pacak:

http://thisweekinpinball.com/what-is-going-on-with-pinball-expo-hear-from-rob-berk-and-mike-pacak/

------------------
    **EXCLUSIVE** EXPO 2018 Changes, New Show Pinball Palooza? Interview with Rob Berk.

The Chicago Pinball Expo has been run by Rob Berk and Mike Pacak for 33 years. They have now split. Rob will be starting a new show called Pinball Palooza. It is not known what will become of Pinball Expo.

http://thisweekinpinball.com/exclusive-expo-2018-cancelled-replaced-by-pinball-palooza-interview-with-rob-berk/

#2 6 years ago

Well damn. The Pinball Expo name has a lot of value, shame it came to this.

#4 6 years ago

Hopefully true, pacak is a dick and was killing expo, I know many people who stopped supporting it due to him and were looking into alternatives. Hopefully this goes better than Berks alternative show last year though.

#5 6 years ago

I guess that name doesn't matter, but Palooza just doesn't have the same imposing and powerful name as 'Expo'.

Change the name before its too late!
    When I think Palooza I think a massive kids party with lots of clowns.

Good luck Rob!

#6 6 years ago

So now Chicago is going to have two shows?

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Probably not, hopefully expo dies quickly with this taking it's place, and it's name back.

#8 6 years ago

Alright,
    Chicago 2018!

#9 6 years ago

Shocking to say the least. Isn't Schaumburg in Chicago proper so union workers will have to be used? Also how are hotel prices within that area. Should be interesting.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Probably not, hopefully expo dies quickly with this taking it's place, and it's name back.

It sounds like they are fighting over the name and decided no one can use it. If there isn't an Expo show this year by Pacak, I can't imagine him just going yeah sure use the name next year.

Maybe I should make an MGC South to throw into the mix in the future too?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Shocking to say the least. Isn't Schaumburg in Chicago proper so union workers will have to be used? Also how are hotel prices within that area. Should be interesting.

Schaumburg is its own village, firmly located in the suburbs. It's not too far from the previous Expo location of Wheeling. Hotel wise that area may be slightly more expensive than Wheeling but also has significantly more hotels.

It's also the home of Level 257, closer to Pinball Life, and closer to Stern!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

schamburg is a suburb of chicago.

#13 6 years ago

I'll be to hungover from The Cleveland Show. Count me out,two shows in two weeks

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I guess that name doesn't matter, but Palooza just doesn't have the same imposing and powerful name as 'Expo'.
    Change the name before its too late!
    When I think Palooza I think a massive kids party with lots of clowns.
    Good luck Rob!

How about "Rob's Epic Pinball Party"?

#15 6 years ago

Could go with "Chicago Pinball Festival" and 'sister-show' it up with Texas.

#16 6 years ago

Technically Rob started Expo with Bill Kurtz. Pacak joined later.

How about Pinball Xpo as a new name? Different but pronounced the same.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

One will be supported by vendors and industry, one will not. Things will likely shake out real quick.

#18 6 years ago

Interesting. This can only be a good thing.

#19 6 years ago

This needed to happen. There were so many people trying to help, create awareness for the organizers, etc... too bad the information was not heeded. I'm excited to get everyone back in one room again, makes sense..

#20 6 years ago

Not surprised, saw it coming months ago for sure with the Westin’s bs and taking expo for granted. Perhaps rob will take the opportunity to join it with the arcade side and have the mega show he was contemplating.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZEN:

I'm excited to get everyone back in one room again, makes sense..

It would, but I'm not sure that will happen. Pacak has said on a thread on this on Facebook Expo is still on. It sounds like people will be in two completely different rooms, and asked to pick sides - and heck, that's how the article sounded too. No matter what you think of the people involved, I don't ever think that the way to grow is by tearing someone else down.

I sort of said it jokingly above, but I wasn't actually kidding about MGC South. We'll see what happens. We've been exploring that for a while now.

#22 6 years ago

There is a distinct possibility mgc could become the cats meow of the Midwest with expo MIA.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

It would, but I'm not sure that will happen. Pacak has said on a thread on this on Facebook Expo is still on. It sounds like people will be in two completely different rooms, and asked to pick sides - and heck, that's how the article sounded too. No matter what you think of the people involved, I don't ever think that the way to grow is by tearing someone else down.
    I sort of said it jokingly above, but I wasn't actually kidding about MGC South. We'll see what happens. We've been exploring that for a while now.

If the industry backs Rob, which it seems they are, then I don't see both existing.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

There is a distinct possibility mgc could become the cats meow of the Midwest with expo MIA.

I wouldn't count Expo MIA yet.

LTG : )

#25 6 years ago

This is the best option as this should of happened 8-10 years ago. Rob will have the Xpo back in its former glory. Happy attendees, Pinball life, Rob Anthony, Spooky and anyone else Mike managed to piss off.

#26 6 years ago

In my mind, as a 17-year Expo attendee, there is no choice between two shows. There is only the Schaumburg show. I'm local and even I won't support whatever's left of Expo. Rob was smart to schedule this a month before Expo, not after. Be first, be better. Zero chance folks will fly or haul games to Chicago in back to back months, for a shell of a show that's been perceived as dying for years.

#27 6 years ago

I don’t care what they call it its time for these old guys to retire and let some new blood take over. Till then I won’t be going

#28 6 years ago

I may actually go back...

#29 6 years ago

To clarify the headline, "EXPO 2018 Cancelled, Replaced by Pinball Palooza?" is supposed to read as one big question.

From some Facebook posts made by Mike this morning, it sounds like he is planning to still hold Expo October 17-21. So two pinball shows in Chicago in the fall.

#30 6 years ago
    #31 6 years ago

Well at this point Im doing a show at the Westin on the same dates as announced on the website Oct 17 to 21 2018, bussiness as usual. The show will have the same format as in the past. I dont think its fair to all of our loyal patrons to change the date, and Venue at this time. Myself and Rob are in talks to what happens with the Pinball Expo Brand. Its my personal hope that some agreement can come.

Pinball Expo has been a part of my life for 33 years, i consider this show a Family Member, and enjoy seeing everyone.

More details to come.

Thank you for all your support over the years
    Mike

#32 6 years ago

I think he said the wrong dates in the interview though...September 12-15 is Wednesday-Saturday.

I wonder where he is planning on having it. The Schaumburg Convention center doesn't have anything on its' website yet. (Although there's something else scheduled that weekend, the place is pretty big and can handle two things, unless they are both huge.) http://www.schaumburgconventioncenter.com/calendar

#33 6 years ago

Swear to god when I was eating breakfast this morning, I thought to to myself, "pinball has been too quiet lately. There needs to be a new game announcement, industry shakeup, something." Am I living the Truman show?

#34 6 years ago

What is now considered the premiere pinball show? Texas Pinball Festival?

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from redman822:

I think he said the wrong dates in the interview though...September 12-15 is Wednesday-Saturday.
    I wonder where he is planning on having it. The Schaumburg Convention center doesn't have anything on its' website yet. (Although there's something else scheduled that weekend, the place is pretty big and can handle two things, unless they are both huge.) http://www.schaumburgconventioncenter.com/calendar

Maybe that's on purpose, since sunday is always a throwaway day other than tournament finals. Granted, that would make things different for the tournament, if Trent throws one.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

soon to be Arcade Expo in Banning Ca.... in another year or 2 when all the vendors start coming AE will be the biggest on the planet

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There are so many good shows now, I don't think any particular one is the top dog. Texas is great, but so are several other shows.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I dont think there is one, but top 3 have to be TPF, MGC, and Arcade Expo.

No particular order and all 3 offer something special and different (not been to Banning yet but will some day.)

Chicago Expo has not been the premier show for at least a few years

#39 6 years ago

Holy hell I hate freakin' drama... and I hate our company was mentioned specifically as "backing a side", and inaccurately at that.

We did seminars both fun and serious at Expo for the better part of a decade, and brought games as a company 3 of the last 5. Improvements needed to be made (in my opinion), but I keep those personal between Mike, Rob, and myself.

We will talk about this openly in a way we don't normally on the next podcast so you get it straight from me. I don't see this as good for anyone involved.

Pinball is fun people... I swear it is!

#40 6 years ago

I never really interacted with Mike, but I will say Rob was always super friendly and very welcoming the two times I did seminars at expo. Just a flat out nice man who loves pinball. I wish him the best of luck and will support his show if I can!

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont think there is one, but top 3 have to be TPF, MGC, and Arcade Expo.
    No particular order and all 3 offer something special and different (not been to Banning yet but will some day.)
    Chicago Expo has not been the premier show for at least a few years

Good to know, thanks! Really want to go to TPF but can't make it this year. I'm considering going to MGC, looks like a fun show.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good to know, thanks! Really want to go to TPF but can't make it this year. I'm considering going to MGC, looks like a fun show.

MGC could use the support this year especially, with the move to the convention center.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

MGC is electric with fun and energy. Honestly my favorite show just because there is so much to do (aracdes, pinball, board games, celebrities, game reveals, tournaments, cosplay, drunken orgies, just all fun all the time)

#44 6 years ago

To be completely honest. This is the show and venue I miss the most.

Illinois Pinball Show (resized).pngIllinois Pinball Show (resized).png

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

To clarify the headline, "EXPO 2018 Cancelled, Replaced by Pinball Palooza?" is supposed to read as one big question.
    From some Facebook posts made by Mike this morning, it sounds like he is planning to still hold Expo October 17-21. So two pinball shows in Chicago in the fall.

Since Mike has stated that he's running Expo regardless, you should update your clickbait headline/topic.

#46 6 years ago

i cant wait to see people NOT go to expo this year

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

i cant wait to see people NOT go to expo this year

Why is that?? Kinda a trolling Statement

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames007:

Why is that?? Kinda a trolling Statement

only room for one chicago show, id prefer people start attending the alternate one and support change.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Since Mike has stated that he's running Expo regardless, you should update your clickbait headline/topic.

Done. Am also going to clarify the statements about Spooky from the interview.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

To be completely honest. This is the show and venue I miss the most.

Sometimes when I'm out I could swear I'm catching a whiff of that potato bar, surely the finest in all of Chicago...

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-exclusive-expo-2018-cancelled-replaced-by-pinball-palooza and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.