New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 169312)

Twinky Bank Relay

By CatDaddyChrist

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CatDaddyChrist
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4333 (resized).JPG
From Skitch (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

Anybody know how all these contact gaps are suppose to be set?

Got one in the machine that doesn't actuate. Spare actuates, but not seeing a lot of contact gap changes.

image (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

Also, as for the main coil. Seems like the spring has way too high of tension. It's really hard to pull up. Is this a common flaw?

#3 4 years ago

Has anyone put dual coils on this thing? Seems like it would be helpful? So much much to pull up...

#4 4 years ago

Single coil should be sufficient - check for mechanical issues - wear on the reset bar, problems with the plastic switch ladders, and the little metal pieces that hold it in place. Something is probably wrong there. You mention the spring tension is too high? Possibly someone tried to fix it by shortening the spring and the coil can't overcome the spring tension.

Contact gaps - main rule of thumb is that they should all change state. If they are closed, ensure they open when the relay trips. For best results if you are adjusting the entire relay at once, tighten screws on the switch stack, then adjust each to change state at the same time, vertically.

Good luck! Twinky is a really fun game. Just cleaned and waxed mine tonight - had a terrible game (at least I broke 1000 points), haha!

#5 4 years ago

Milled the adjustment slots to go higher. Tempered the spring to be easier. No idea what I'm doin' here...

#6 4 years ago

Hey Bingo,

Didn't see your reply. The point gaps just seem so screwy. Both Mechs look these same, and there are so
many.

#7 4 years ago

I custom made the same unit for my Gottlieb Roller disco, but so much more simple.

#8 4 years ago

So, I set the points, but its still locking in the on position causing the coil to over heat. Any ideas friends?

#9 4 years ago

I'm just dancing around the machine at this point, but the player control unit doesn't seem to do it's job...

#10 4 years ago

Also a little confused how the replay unit is suppose to function...

#11 4 years ago

Back to the player control unit. There's a metal plate on the back of the gear. Seems like the gear is not positions right? How would that get thrown off?

-Keep in mind, this a one owner machine. Never serviced.

#12 4 years ago

Also looks like there's a spring missing???

From Skitch (resized).jpg

#13 4 years ago

Chatty Kathy here, but when it hits the end of it's cycle, there are red marks on the contact arm and board which seem to be a 1/4 turn off.

IMG_4333 (resized).JPG

#14 4 years ago

of coarse, they actually line up when fully released...

#15 4 years ago

One piece at a time.

First question: do you have the replay or add-a-ball version? Either is convertible, but changes the operation of the replay unit.

Second question: do you have and can you read a schematic? I have a Twinky schematic here and can help you through if you need it. What you need to do is find what turns that coil on during the reset sequence, and adjust whatever that is - my suspicion is that a switch on the motor forces that coil to slam on. I am not currently looking at the schematic though.

3rd q: spring missing? No, I think you're set.
Examine other step up/reset units and you will have your answer for sure.

4th q: unit off? At full step, it should not hit the red rivet, that marks the reset position. If at reset it sits on the red (as you mention) then the spider portion is on the right spot.

Let me know the answers to my questions and I'll happily help where I can.

#16 4 years ago

Sorry, just getting more familiar with the machine. It's quite the contraption. I've got the giant schematic. I'm pretty good at reading them.
Still a bit confused on add-a-ball vs. replay. I read about it, but is there a way to identify on this particular machine?

#17 4 years ago

Mine is intended to be an Add-A-Ball - you can tell by the giant insert in the apron that says Same Player Shoots Again. On Twinky you can select the mode via a jones plug adjustment.

Basically, it will either give you a free play, or a free ball. You can earn up to the limit of the credit wheel in free balls in aab mode. Replay mode allows up to the limit in credits.

#18 4 years ago

And not a problem at all! I just want to help you in the most efficient way possible.

#19 4 years ago

Ok. Its a replay unit. Check!

#20 4 years ago

Cool! Now--- is it set in replay mode? Should be an adjustment either in the front of the bottom board or on the left side of the game.

#21 4 years ago

Set to "match in". No idea what that means.

#22 4 years ago

Match is the end of game match number - "in" means "on" and "out" means "off" - no idea why that is worded that way, but there you go.

I'm really sorry I have not had a chance to look at the schematic yet. Sounds really silly, but I'm preparing for a biz trip and the York show and really running myself ragged right now.

I will really really try to look up the info tonight and get back to you.

Sorry again.

#23 4 years ago

Checked real quickly at lunch. Score motor A-5 is NO and if closed will hold power to the coil.

Other switches to check on the bank reset:
B-2 on score motor (no)
#2 start relay (no)
Score rest control relay (NC)

And finally there's a bank reset relay NO. I would check for proper adjustment on the normally open switch on the bank reset relay. If it is stuck closed or not moving with the coil, then the coil will remain locked on.

#24 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll try to run through it, and get back to you. Mapping it out now. Much appreciated.
Still a little confused by the "Player Control Unit". Once it resets, there's no actual way for the lower coil to grab the gear. That little block that is added to the gear is in the way. -Thanks again! Lucky to have some support!

#25 4 years ago

Pardon my lack of understanding. Again, learning a full em machine for the first time. I checked the switches and they look good. The bank reset relay isn't activating. It's also in a state of the score motor continuously spinning and the slide bank relay going on and off. And again, player control reset relay stuck actuated. When I pull the slide bank relay into an actuated position it all calms down.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 26.50
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
$ 219.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
Tommy's Pins
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sorcerer's Crypt Out of stock
UpKick Pinball
$ 6.50
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside