(Topic ID: 144444)

Twilight Zone - worth the cash or over rated?

By JosiahCox

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Buy Twilight Zone?”

• Heck yeah! You can always sell it if you don't like it. 168 votes
    77%
  • Don't bother. It's over rated and not worth the hassle. 49 votes
    23%

(217 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

talky_tina.gif
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Hi Pinside,
I am looking for your feedback.

I have an opportunity to get a nice TZ for $5600 but it's never been a game I have liked. That being said I didn't like TAF that much until I got one for my wife and now I love it.

I am trying to decide if I should just get it and try it out for a couple of months or just pass and save th cash. My thought is that the price is decent enough that I could sell it if I really do hate it.

To TZ or not to TZ and save the cash for a rainy day.

Your opinions are more than welcome. Cheers!

#2 8 years ago

It's all personal taste. I have no nostalgia for TZ but it would probably be one of the last games to leave my collection. Love the toys, sounds, and gameplay. I always have a blast playing it and it keep me challenged. I sold a very nice one a couple of years ago and was the machine I regretted most selling. Was delighted to find another to add to my collection.

#3 8 years ago

When TZ was brand new, I didn't care for it much. At the time, it was too complicated and too many things were going on in the game. This was way before I was an enthusiast. The game in my local arcade didn't stay there for very long--I'm not sure if it was taken out because it wasn't earning, or if it broke down too much.

In any case, being an enthusiast now, it's fun, but playing it so many times on the pinball game app has worn it out for me a bit. The modes seem more or less the same, and the gumball/powerball mode is really the only highlight for me.

The price seems fairly stagnant on this title and doesn't seem to budge much up or down.

#4 8 years ago

Depends on the size and variety of your collection. If you're looking for flow, you may want to look elsewhere. But, IMHO this is one of Lawlor's best and I love mine. All the modes and toys are awesome. I also am a huge fan of Rod Serling and the old TZ shows....great game...good price dependent on condition.

#5 8 years ago

I don't see how anyone could call it "overrated" when it's always number one or number two on the top 100 list.

It is a high maintenance machine, but once it's dialed in I personally think it's one of the best. I don't ever plan to sell mine, but if you bought it and did not like it I'm pretty sure you could get that amount out of it.

#6 8 years ago

I absolutely love playing my TZ, and don't regret the purchase one bit! It is a great change of pace for my collection, as ST Pro is flow all day long.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

I don't see how anyone could call it "overrated" when it's always number one or number two on the top 100 list.

That's exactly how it can be overrated.

Anyway, OP you know no one can answer this question for you. If you can turn around and sell it and come out even you should get it...why not? It's intriguing enough to you to consider it so just pull the trigger and get it over with.

#8 8 years ago

Yeah you should definitely spend $5600 on a game you don't like, makes sense.

Overrated? Every single game in pinball is both underrated and overrated. If you don't like it you don't like it. It's big, a pain to move, and that's not a deal that leaves any meat on the bone for you to profit so why bother if you don't like it?

#9 8 years ago

Edit: Ignore everything I just said, you said you don't like TZ. Don't buy it, what's wrong with you.

It's just the greatest, nothing like it. Perfect layout, balanced scoring, very possible to get to the wizard mode but not something you'll do every game, it never turns into lock 3 balls all day and flailing at every shot that's lit for a jackpot. I think it's particularly fun multiplayer since your strategy has to change based on the position of the powerball in the gumball machine or whether it's in the trough. Powerball Mania is one of the best multiballs ever, both the road to starting it and actually playing it.

If you're looking for reasons not to buy it, you can left ramp, right ramp, piano all day and just get to LITZ. The modes are easy to just ignore and just keep climbing the ladder like TAF mansion modes. The skillshot is too dangerous for what it's worth. The dead end and slot shots are too dangerous for what they're worth.

Definitely the last game that will leave my collection. I think TZ is the most owned game on Pinside unless someone can show me something higher. That's a $5k game now that people are holding onto. There are other games they made 15,000+ of that are very well received that you can pick up for half the price or less, but more collectors still get a TZ. There's a reason!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah you should definitely spend $5600 on a game you don't like, makes sense.
Overrated? Every single game in pinball is both underrated and overrated. If you don't like it you don't like it. It's big, a pain to move, and that's not a deal that leaves any meat on the bone for you to profit so why bother if you don't like it?

Oh, I don't know...I was just thinking of doing this recently when deciding what game to restore next. Love the theme, hate the game, but feel like I'm missing something because so many people love it. I can completely see what the OP's talking about.

OP, I could tell you that you should try it and let us know how it worked out. But that would be disingenuous, because in the end, I went with AFM. So no...I wouldn't do it.

#11 8 years ago

TZ is a game that just clicks on every level for me. It's the one pin in my collection that elicits the "just one more game" reaction every single time I play it. That's why it's always the last of my machines to get any attention when I walk into the room. Many times I've started playing it first and never gotten over to my other machines.

The addition of the re-orchestrated audio mix for the Pinsound card has breathed new life into the game. The audio quality on it is incredible. The ability to jump between it and the DCS Granner mix is a plus.

Of all the emulated versions of real pinball tables, TZ is the one that loses the most in translation for me, so that's not a good barometer.

#12 8 years ago

TZ is a classic. I'd look for a cheaper one if I wasn't sure that I'd like it, though.

#13 8 years ago

TZ is a great Pin. Has plenty on the PF to keep you entertained.
Years ago when I first met my wife and she came over to my place to my surprise TZ ended up being her favourite pin.
My advice would be to find one to play either in person or on Pinball Arcade as that's the only way you will know without spending the money

#14 8 years ago

The top 100 is a ridicules concept on sheer premise... TZ is a fun game but not the end all in pins, Do you even like it? To learn to love it seems more like an arranged marriage the a pin purchase.

#15 8 years ago

I only buy games I'm not sure about if the price is right...that way I can jam on it for a bit - and if I don't like it - I can come out ahead on the other side.

I've always tried to like TZ...but it has never clicked. It's probably safe to say I just don't like it...but if one popped up for like $2k or something, I'd buy it. Maybe in my own collection I would "get it" finally.

$5600 seems like a lot for a game you have no attachment to...but if you end up not liking it, worse comes to worse you sell it and break even or lose a few hundred.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I luckily already have a local collector who will buy it from me if I end up really not liking it. With that in mind I think I am going to bite the bullet and get it.

As far as buying a game I don't love, I usually would be a bit resistant to the idea but for some reason I am curious with this title.

At the least I will be introducing a game into my local community that nobody has access to. If it ends up costing me a couple hundo in the end I'll be okay.

I'll give an update here in a couple of days once it's home.
Thanks again for the feedback!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

Thanks for the feedback. I luckily already have a local collector who will buy it from me if I end up really not liking it. With that in mind I think I am going to bite the bullet and get it.
As far as buying a game I don't love, I usually would be a bit resistant to the idea but for some reason I am curious with this title.
At the least I will be introducing a game into my local community that nobody has access to. If it ends up costing me a couple hundo in the end I'll be okay.
I'll give an update here in a couple of days once it's home.
Thanks again for the feedback!

Bam...it all worked out! It's only pinball!

#18 8 years ago

Good choice…I doubt you'll regret it.I've owned my TZ for 20 years.To me it's the "Gold Standard"….Enjoy!

#19 8 years ago

I love mine it will never leave its number one for a reason hate or not this thing is one of the absolute best!!!!they would go broke tryin to make a game this deep and toy ridden again plus it would be 20 grand all day lol just a thought don't buy games you hate it's bad for your wallet

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

TZ is a game that just clicks on every level for me. It's the one pin in my collection that elicits the "just one more game" reaction every single time I play it. That's why it's always the last of my machines to get any attention when I walk into the room. Many times I've started playing it first and never gotten over to my other machines.
The addition of the re-orchestrated audio mix for the Pinsound card has breathed new life into the game. The audio quality on it is incredible. The ability to jump between it and the DCS Granner mix is a plus.
Of all the emulated versions of real pinball tables, TZ is the one that loses the most in translation for me, so that's not a good barometer.

I was about to say this- the Pinsound stereo re-orchestrations (including new ones like the horror one) really re-energize the game. Now it just needs a ColorDMD

#21 8 years ago

TZ has it all, for $5-6k, it's as good (though very different) or better than what you can buy today nib. Tons of modes and shot variety, great sound and callouts, massively customizable, and awesome theme integration.

#22 8 years ago

I might trade you something for it when you are done with it. I say snag it.

#23 8 years ago

I will probably never buy one. I can't deny its a great game. It is the best integration of theme up to its point in pinball history, much like TAF.

It is just not a game I can justify owning because I would never play it more than a few times a year. You can play TZ at just about any show, papa, and there are quite a few on location in many places and in leagues and open tournaments/competitions as well.

Honestly, it's a game I have played 1,000 times, AND also a game that I could play 1,000 times again if I wanted, and I have never even owned one.

I fully understand those that own one, just not for me. Actually played one this past week two times and I've had my fill for quite a while.

#24 8 years ago

I played papa's TZs a bunch last time I was there. Also played a bunch at other locations. I don't see the appeal I guess. I'm also not a fan of ww, fh, rbion, or TAF for that matter.... all Lawlor games. Just something about them I don't like.

For 5600 I'd buy 3 system 11s.

#25 8 years ago

One of the greatest ever.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

One of the greatest ever.

True. It may not be for everyone but its perfect for me. Loved it at Aladdin's Castle 20 years ago and love it even more in my basement.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I played papa's TZs a bunch last time I was there. Also played a bunch at other locations. I don't see the appeal I guess. I'm also not a fan of ww, fh, rbion, or TAF for that matter.... all Lawlor games. Just something about them I don't like.

No you wouldn't. These days everybody wants 2500 for their System 11s.

But as far as TZ goes...not everyone is gonna like it...but at this point using a term like "overrated" is meaningless (and I'll note Blackbeard didn't use that term. He just doesn't like it).

Like with the Beatles.

Or Star Wars.

Or Bacon.

Or Blow Jobs.

When so many people agree that one thing is awesome, terms like "overrated" become completely irrelevant.

#28 8 years ago

I wouldn't call it over rated because it's a fun game but I would say that for me personally the price it goes for down here is more than I'd pay for it.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No you wouldn't. These days everybody wants 2500 for their System 11s.
But as far as TZ goes...not everyone is gonna like it...but at this point using a term like "overrated" is meaningless (and I'll note Blackbeard didn't use that term. He just doesn't like it).
Like with the Beatles.
Or Star Wars.
Or Bacon.

Or Blow Jobs.
When so many people agree that one thing is awesome, terms like "overrated" become completely irrelevant.

If you think you cannot buy 3 system 11s with $5600 you're on crack.

#30 8 years ago

If you like TAF , you probably will enjoy tz. It has fantastic sound, shots but expect a little stop and go.

#31 8 years ago

I love tz the show but the game I've had 4 of them including a beautiful home use only and just can not seem to get into the game it's fun but does not have the speed I look for in a pin.Its a good game but I struggle with keeping them around long when I get my hands on them

#32 8 years ago

See votes they tell the story

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from tpn2011:

I love tz the show but the game I've had 4 of them including a beautiful home use only and just can not seem to get into the game it's fun but does not have the speed I look for in a pin.Its a good game but I struggle with keeping them around long when I get my hands on them

It's probably just too hard for you

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

3 nice condition good system 11s (ex = ww, eatpm, taxi ) no probably not anymore , but you can definitely get 3 that need some love for around for around 5600

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

3 nice condition good system 11s (ex = ww, eatpm, taxi ) no probably not anymore , but you can definitely get 3 that need some love for around for around 5600

I said you could get 3 system 11s for 5600. That is a true statement. Don't try to manipulate and massage my words and point with your omnipotent pinball wisdom.

There are PLENTY of system 11s you can grab in that price range that don't "need some love". I'm sure one could locate 3 system 11s for an average of 1800 each.

#36 8 years ago

Don't let a couple of known "tater tots" unfounded as usual statements get to ya, they both masterbate to their pinball machines in attract mode and conversate with themselves!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

TZ is a classic. I'd look for a cheaper one if I wasn't sure that I'd like it, though.

Why would anyone do that?

I'd always take the best one I can get (but I always take that road) - if you're not overpaying you'll get your money back for sure. And you have a nice machine to experience, there is nothing worse than a pin that is not 100% perfectly dialed in.

If you buy a cheaper one you will more likely not enjoy it due to the pain of getting it to work perfectly and keeping it that way.
Plus you will have to invest time, nerves and money to keep it going while the value will not increase due to the less attractive substance a cheaper pin usually has.

I'm a sucker for perfect, HOU, close to HUO or HEP quality machines. The only 2 bad buys I ever did were both routed unrestored machines. I hated having to deal with technical problems every other month and having to regularly invest money, source spare parts etc. just to have machines that are still not perfect. Plus, when I sold them I made some loss - that never ever happens with nice ones.

#38 8 years ago

Its regional round my and BB's parts easily find 3 nice System 11's for $5600. But that is 3x the space, 3x the Maintence. Dont blind buy TZ or any game for that matter.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I wouldn't. Total waste of space. I can only set up 9 pins, so I'd rather have one that offers the "full monty" than 3 which are so-so.
1 fully fledged ruleset beats 3 one tracked rulesets easily.

Regarding TZ: I have one even though I'm not a fan of Pats games and it is by far not at the top of my list. Still it's a very special game and like no other pin I know. So even if I usually prefer fast & flowy games I wouldn't sell TZ just because it's so different than any other pin I own - and diversity is the key to a good collection. Doesn't get the most plays of my games but when I turn it on I usually play it all night.

#40 8 years ago

All a matter of taste.

#41 8 years ago

Three system 11s for $5600 is easy. I dont care what part of the country you are in. Blackbeard said "System 11s" not " Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Banzai Run".

As for the TZ...its a great game. I would try to get one cheaper and see if you like it. Worst case, you sell it and probably wont loose too much $$

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Have you ever MET any crackheads?

I have. And I've never, ever heard one pontificate on inflated pinball prices. It's just not something they do.

What kind of crackheads are you hanging out with, anyway?

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have.

Why am I not surprised?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why am I not surprised?

Because you are on crack!

Burn!

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have. And I've never, ever heard one pontificate on inflated pinball prices. It's just not something they do.
What kind of crackheads are you hanging out with, anyway?

Shouldn't you be out cutting and pasting your ugly mug onto Richard Gere's body for a new Pretty Woman Avatar or something?

#47 8 years ago

No Fear is great and is now in the top 100.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

No Fear is great and is now in the top 100.

Thank you woody76 for the support,that game needs more love.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I said you could get 3 system 11s for 5600. That is a true statement. Don't try to manipulate and massage my words and point with your omnipotent pinball wisdom.
There are PLENTY of system 11s you can grab in that price range that don't "need some love". I'm sure one could locate 3 system 11s for an average of 1800 each.

I actually was agreeing with you ? Goodness gracious

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Three system 11s for $5600 is easy. I dont care what part of the country you are in. Blackbeard said "System 11s" not " Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Banzai Run".
As for the TZ...its a great game. I would try to get one cheaper and see if you like it. Worst case, you sell it and probably wont loose too much $$

I was agreeing with the statement actually and you cld even get the bigger names I listed for the 5600 price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 12.95
$ 29.95
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 14.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-worth-the-cash-or-over-rated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.