Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cpu2.jpg
cpu1.jpg

#1 9 years ago

First off, I installed a remote battery holder on the CPU. Everything looked good there, Holds memory etc. Changed out bulbs for LED's. Ran through the settings, set it up for freeplay. Screen shows freeplay and 0 credits. Nothing happens when I push start. I checked the start button in test mode and it is working fine. Any thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

Game lost track of a ball ?

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

It didn't give me an error but I went into the gumball test mode and that is acting strange. It won't let me change modes like from load 1 to continuous.

#4 9 years ago

I made sure there were 3 balls in the Gumball machine and 3 down below and the gumball test starting working. It lets me push start now, but it doesn't kick a ball up to the flipper to play.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from makin:

but it doesn't kick a ball up to the flipper to play.

You blow a solenoid fuse ?

#6 9 years ago

Might have. I was going through switch and solenoid tests and the switches are working. the ball release solenoid is not.

#7 9 years ago

Ball release, right slingshot, left slingshot, none of the bumpers, lock release and shooter divider are all not working. Checking into the fuses. Thanks

#8 9 years ago

Looks like it might be f104 3A The only size I don't have. Off to shop in the morning. Thanks again.

#9 9 years ago

Hang on....swapped fuses 104 and 105 and the same solenoids 9-16 are still not firing. Doesn't look to be a fuse issue. All 3 3A fuses ohmed out the same. Digging deeper.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from makin:

All 3 3A fuses ohmed out the same.

Just to be sure - did you pull them off the board to check them ?

#11 9 years ago

Yes I did.

#12 9 years ago

Start by adjusting the connectors, power off and reseat the connectors on the board very gently and check for any signs of cold solder joints.Also just a reminder ribbon cables go bad over the years

#13 9 years ago

OK I will. Who is a good supplier for these 4 ribbon cables?

#14 9 years ago

marco specialties,pinballife

#15 9 years ago

Struck out with both of those guys.

#16 9 years ago

If you have free play and 0 credits, that's the problem. You must have credits OR Free Play only. Make sure you have all balls loaded (required #)

#17 9 years ago

How do you add credits. I forgot. Doesn't it have something to do with the left button inside of the coin door? All of the rest of my solenoids are firing. It's just the 9-16 solenoids that is on fuse 104 and that fuse appears to be good. I swapped it out with fuse 105 and get the same thing. No solenoids 9-16. I've got 3 balls in the gumball and 3 in the trough. It quit showing the credit thing when I put the right amount of balls. Thanks for the response.

#18 9 years ago

Do a factory restore/reset in the menu. Add a credit manually by hitting a coin slot switch. And see what happens.

Then go back in, and change the settings back to freeplay. It could be as simple as some garbage left in the ram memory that is giving you the problem.

Happened on my pinbot. I know thats system 11. But it acted funny until I did a factory reset and started over.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19 9 years ago

Nope...same thing. I am leaning towards a cpu or wiring issue as I had that out to install a remote battery holder.

#20 9 years ago

Battery holder must have positive to the top of the board. Yes, that sounds like where the problem is coming from.
Check all solder joints, check components and make sure nothing got bent over, shorted and broken off.
Make darn sure you have the right connectors across the bottom of CPU board connected correctly.Use owners manual in rear to check connector number/wire colors to get the connectors right if you didn't mark them before original removal.
Make darn sure the ribbon cable from CPU to PD Board is connected correctly, be very careful on the pin alignment.

#21 9 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of my set up. Pulling it now to check on pins etc. Thanks again.

cpu1.jpgcpu1.jpg cpu2.jpgcpu2.jpg
#22 9 years ago

Everything looks good on the cpu board No bent or broken pins. Can't find new ribbon cables anywhere. What would happen if I were to try the cpu from CFTBL?

#23 9 years ago

You could but you would have to change the main chip or it would not boot up correctly. Leave the original CPU in and remove the two bottom row connectors and power on, then start the top row left connector and install one at a time from left to right and see what happens.
There are many test you can do bit so hard to tell you by typing here. You need to follow the proper section of the Pinball repair guides.

#24 9 years ago

Did that. It started with the clock going to 6:30. Then it gave me a check fuses 114 and 115. I couldn't go to the test report until I plugged in the lower left plug. Then it gave me a clock not working error. Went to the clock test and everything functioned normally except for solenoids 9-16. Once I got the plugs back on it didn't say anything about the fuses. Is there another fuse that covers these solenoids that I am not seeing? Thanks again for the guidance.

#25 9 years ago

So do you still get the fuses 115/115 warning? What other warning?

#26 9 years ago

When you check with a meter, do you have power at any of the 9-16 solenoids?

#27 9 years ago

No the warning went away and no power to the solenoids.

#28 9 years ago

I give up. I've got someone coming over to look at it tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for your help.

#29 9 years ago

I tried that fuse swap thing you did on a customer's Gilligan's Island and got the same result. It wasn't until I put a new fuse in that everything came to life. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense if they're all truly separate circuits(which they're probably not, I now know), but that's what happened.

It needs all good fuses in there all at once. Swapping a good one for a bad one and leaving one empty won't always give you the desired result.

#30 9 years ago

Also, make sure that solenoid string's power feed wire is intact and connected at it's IDC connector and at it's first leg along the solenoid chain.

#31 9 years ago

OK Thanks

8 months later
#32 8 years ago

Hi Makin,

I'm having the exact same issue. Did you resolve your issue and if yes how?

Thanks.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Hi Makin,
I'm having the exact same issue. Did you resolve your issue and if yes how?
Thanks.

Likely best to start a new thread with the issues you are having and as much detail as you can provide and some pictures of the boards with the power turned on would be nice as well. A closeup of your MPU board above and below the battery holder would be nice as well.

#34 8 years ago

dup

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Likely best to start a new thread with the issues you are having and as much detail as you can provide and some pictures of the boards with the power turned on would be nice as well. A closeup of your MPU board above and below the battery holder would be nice as well.

I hear you. It will probably come to that. This said, it's always nice to have the resolution of a tech issue.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I hear you. It will probably come to that. This said, it's always nice to have the resolution of a tech issue.

I also look forward to seeing the OP's final repairs that were made.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-wont-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.