Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by IN-DEEP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Hello I have a Twilight Zone that will not start.Simple right? The first thing I did was to test the voltage in the service outlet in the machine.It reads 120v to gnd on one side and 120 volts on the other side and when a lamp is plugged in to the outlet in the machine it does not work .Why can there be voltage on both prongs of the outlet and also going to the transformer when unplugged and tested?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from IN-DEEP:

Why can there be voltage on both prongs of the outlet and also going to the transformer when unplugged and tested?

I'd get an outlet checker and check the wall outlet, and then the service outlet. To check if everything is wired right.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from IN-DEEP:

Hello I have a Twilight Zone that will not start.Simple right? The first thing I did was to test the voltage in the service outlet in the machine.It reads 120v to gnd on one side and 120 volts on the other side and when a lamp is plugged in to the outlet in the machine it does not work .Why can there be voltage on both prongs of the outlet and also going to the transformer when unplugged and tested?

Quoted from LTG:

I'd get an outlet checker and check the wall outlet, and then the service outlet. To check if everything is wired right.

Yeah, sounds like either the game is wired wrong (EMF filter?), the plug IN the game is wired wrong, or your house circuit needs some attention...

#4 3 years ago

Thanks I tested the wall outlet got 120vac and ground.I then tested the outlet in the machine and got 120vac and 120 vac.I have worked with electric for 30yrs.and have never seen 120volts on both sides of an outlet.The power cord goes into a box that serves both the outlet in the machine and the tnsf.and the tnsf plug tests the same 120volts both sides. Crazy stuff.

#5 3 years ago

Jersey Jack thanks I tested the wall outlet got 120vac and gnd.Looks O.K. Tested the outlet in the game got 120vac and 120 vac.plugged lamp in wall outlet it works.Plugged lamp into machine outlet it does not work .what is inside the box in the machine where the outlet is ? I looked at the manuel and cant find it or the tnsf. diagram.Thanks Jim

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from IN-DEEP:

what is inside the box in the machine where the outlet is

On/off switch, varistor or thermistor.

Open it up and look for shorts or burned stuff.

#7 3 years ago

has the machine ever work as long as you have had it? you should get 120 volts ac when measured across the common and neutral.
    As LTG said check wiring starting with the plug then the plug in the back of the machine moving to the service box guts.

#8 3 years ago

I have had that varistor in there blow from a power surge on both pins and arcade machines. It protects the game, but completely kills the power. If it's bad, it will look physically burned and will need to be replaced.

#9 3 years ago

Fuse blown in the fuse holder that is mounted on that box? It should be 8amp slo-blo.

Does the serial number label show as 120V game or 220V? If 220V, maybe it hasn't been converted to 120V.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from IN-DEEP:

It reads 120v to gnd on one side and 120 volts on the other side and when a lamp is plugged in to the outlet in the machine it does not work

If I'm understanding you correctly, you read 0V AC between the HOT and NEUT at the service outlet and 120V between both the HOT and NEUT to ground.
    If this is true, both your hot and neutral are connected together in the power box; this wont blow anything up but will also cause it to not work.

Quoted from IN-DEEP:

what is inside the box in the machine where the outlet is ?

This:
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11 3 years ago

Thanks Pin-Guy that is exactly what is happening.This is a neighbors game he only played it for a few weeks and now it will not start up.I dont think anybody has messed with it.So I am going to look at the on off switch first .It should be the only thing anybody would touch.The schematic will be very helpful.Thanks again

#12 3 years ago

Thanks everybody the info will be a great help.After the switch Iwill test the varistor fuse tests good.

3 weeks later
    #13 3 years ago

Good news bad news.Finally got access to the machine again.Using the schematic supplied by Pin-Guy (thanks again) with all power disconnected at wall outlet and connectors in the machine all components in the box tested good. I placed tracing tone on the power cord and found a bad spot where the cord had been crushed.The sheath was not broken but the white neutral had been severed and smashed thru the black conductor which put 120 volts on both pins at the outlet in the machine.After repairing the cord the game fired up but the start button did not start a game and the game background music is not playing.After running a test the code is ground short row-wht-orn row 3.If I am in the right place in the manual it says lower jet bumper 33.Am I even close?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from IN-DEEP:

ground short row-wht-orn row 3.If I am in the right place in the manual it says lower jet bumper 33.Am I even close?

It meas that the White-Orange wire (Switch Column 3) is shorted to ground. Where? Can be anywhere between the MPU and the last switch in the series (*physcial* wiring, which in this case would be the left or right pop bumper).

#15 3 years ago

Thank you Coyote. I will look at it as soon as I can get access to the machine.

#16 3 years ago

Check all the fuses in the game too now you have the cord short fixed

#17 3 years ago

Will do alexanr1.Thanks

1 week later
    #18 3 years ago

Looked at my neighbors machine Saturday.We did not find the trouble or troubles in the game. He decided to call for professional help. Thanks everyone for your help. It not being my machine and only having limited access I was very willing to agree with seeking professional help.I can now go back to working on my much simpler games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-will-not-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.