You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZ_HS (resized).jpg
20190107_170838 (resized).jpg
D4DxqqrW4AA1gZk (resized).jpg
BFB472D6-D1A1-45FD-8C9C-A6D260553A39 (resized).jpeg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I know TZ is rated higher but I also like the look of willy Wonka. Has anyone played wonka to give me some clue. Thank you

#2 4 years ago

If it came down to a choice between those two I’d choose TZ.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

If it came down to a choice between those two I’d choose TZ.

So the TZ is a better game!

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from shane63026:

So the TZ is a better game!

Just my opinion , but since you asked for it I’ll give it.

#5 4 years ago

TZ is a game that’s remained at the top 5 for a long time for a reason. It’s a masterpiece of design, code, integration, and shot maps. Built in a time where for the most part the engineer/artist had a crazy amount of flexibility to dream Big. Today’s games like Wonka are fun but there is no denying they are build based on profit margin as a primary objective. My opinion. I can’t imagine what it would cost to build a game like TZ today.

#6 4 years ago

Not exactly a fair match up with a wide body vs standard body.

However both are excellent games with multiple ways to go about playing them.

Twilight Zone is still special 25+ years later.

#7 4 years ago

I own both and feel both are great games in their own way. You can't go wrong with the Wonka. Its a thing of beauty. The lightshow, sound package, Tv screen integration, artwork, its the whole package.
Tz is great in a different way. Its older but it is a great all time game.
You can come play my Wonka if it will help you decide better.

#9 4 years ago

TZ is one of the best machines ever made. No expense was spared.

#10 4 years ago

For me TZ all the way.

#11 4 years ago

Wow.. it doesn't look like wonka has a chance. Lol.

#12 4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help!

#14 4 years ago

Goodness... they are pretty different and have substantial age differences between them. I had tz for a long time and played it alot and loved it. Eventually had to sell to make room for new stuff. I've had wonka for a few months and love it and its probably my all time favorite overall bc the layout flows so well and the light shows are the best ever. Tz just felt so dated after having the jjp pins . I love them both but I like the newer pins better bc the code , displays and lighting are just so much better and all that really helps in home use for more longevity.

#15 4 years ago

Also tz is much more stop and go with not much flow and both ramps right up the middle..., but it has lots of toys and neat tricks. Wonka has nice flow and better shot variety and can be very brutal and keeps u on your toes. Both are great in their own way and I'd recommend playing both a good bit but u will b happy with eaither choice. I can see me getting a tz down the road again once I get a bigger house.

#16 4 years ago

Now, TZ feels insulted. TZ has been top 10 for years, and yet still rated above wonka.

#17 4 years ago

Is this discussion for a home use pin?
If, so, isn´t TZ pretty much a service nightmare?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Honestly no it’s not a nightmare WPC is the easiest to work on once you get familiar with the way it works plus TZ has so many cool mods to install.I swear I found myself enjoying working,Tweeking,adding mods,LEDS to TZ than playing it TZ hands down is zzzzbest

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from brett:

That’s right and Thank you Mr.Lawlor for going above and beyond such a great pin..A true masterpiece

#20 4 years ago

I own both. TZ was my first pin and Wonka is my second. I play Wonka a lot more nowadays and it is certainly broken a lot less often than TZ (which is a factor to consider. A LOT can go wrong with TZ, but this is balanced out some by the fact that the game has a huge support base as well). Wonka is also much more approachable for the average person than TZ is, even though the Wizard modes are actually much more challenging to reach and beat than TZ. Wonka is an amazing game and one of the best shooters of modern times.

All that said, TZ holds a special place in my heart. It was my favorite pin in college. I love the theme, the play, and the callouts. I can not see ever getting rid of it.

It might be better, OP, if you were more specific about why the two are in competition. Are you considering buying one or the other, or is this just a "who's hotter?" style showdown?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I own both. TZ was my first pin and Wonka is my second. I play Wonka a lot more nowadays and it is certainly broken a lot less often than TZ (which is a factor to consider. A LOT can go wrong with TZ, but this is balanced out some by the fact that the game has a huge support base as well). Wonka is also much more approachable for the average person than TZ is, even though the Wizard modes are actually much more challenging to reach and beat than TZ.
All that said, TZ holds a special place in my heart. It was my favorite pin in college. I love the theme, the play, and the callouts. I can not see ever getting rid of it.

Yes a lot can go wrong with TZ if you factor in the age of the machine but replacing old parts with newer parts from time to time will make the game solid for many more years to come.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Yes it's a home use pin.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I own both. TZ was my first pin and Wonka is my second. I play Wonka a lot more nowadays and it is certainly broken a lot less often than TZ (which is a factor to consider. A LOT can go wrong with TZ, but this is balanced out some by the fact that the game has a huge support base as well). Wonka is also much more approachable for the average person than TZ is, even though the Wizard modes are actually much more challenging to reach and beat than TZ. Wonka is an amazing game and one of the best shooters of modern times.
It might be better, OP, if you were more specific about why the two are in competition. Are you considering buying one or the other, or is this just a "who's hotter?" style showdown?

I was thinking about trading my TZ for a Wonka. I have never played one or seen one in person.

#24 4 years ago

The more I think about this, the harder it is too choose. Wonka is a great modern day pin with a good rule set, deep code, fun shots, great sound and good theme integration. TZ was ahead of its time and is probably the best wpc game ever made for reasons we are all well aware of. If tz were remade today, I think I might choose it. In fact, I think if you were to put a remade TZ against any modern day pin, it would be hard to vote against tz. Imagine if Cgc remade tz with the larger screen, improved GI, great sound and a topper for $8k!

#25 4 years ago

I enjoy playing Wonka more than I did TZ. However my TZ had a flawless original playfield and zero board issues. Wonka... not so much.

#26 4 years ago

TZ is an incredible pin, one of the best of its time. I owned a TZ for 8 years and really enjoyed it. Why did I sell it? I wasn't a fan of the ruleset compared to modern day objective based rulesets. Much of TZ is filled with switched / points modes which I don't find that interesting. After 8 years I think the clock mode with the "Pop Goes the Weasel" tune started to drive me nuts lol.

Wonka still has that classic Lawlor design but much deeper, and more interesting code.

#27 4 years ago

I own both, and have TZ as my number 1 game of all time, until I bought the Wonka. with the latest code updates, Wonka is better. Both are now grail pins to me

EDIT: I want to add that I have a 100% restored, pristine, perfect-playing Twilight Zone. Not some blown out game with weak flippers, flaky optos and wonky powerball sensors. Definitely makes a difference.

#28 4 years ago

Haven’t played Wonka, but the theme isn’t for me whatsoever. Had TZ and while it is a great pin it was just like chopping wood after awhile - Stop - Go, Stop - Go, Stop - Go ......... Stop

#29 4 years ago

I owned TZ for about 1 year and added some mods and did adjustments / small repairs initially but once it was dialed it, it was magic. For me, TZ was an experience. Even though it was roughly 30 years old, I never felt like it was missing bells and whistles compared to current games and it is loaded. Lots of different ways to attack the game. It is very stop and go but I really liked that change of pace. I spent time to think about shots and how to stack modes and multi balls. It is very much a risk / reward game - make your shots and life is good - miss, and be prepared to pay the price. I have spent a good bit of time on Wonka and I think with some more code polishing, it will get better but it is not quite there yet. If you hate doing small tweaks / repairs, TZ may test your patience. After messing with the clock repeatedly, I caved and just bought Ingo’s clock board. Once the game is dialed in, it is a great game and worthy of top 5.

BFB472D6-D1A1-45FD-8C9C-A6D260553A39 (resized).jpegBFB472D6-D1A1-45FD-8C9C-A6D260553A39 (resized).jpeg
#30 4 years ago

Wonka did not look that impressive to me on launch from pictures and videos. If it's anywhere close to good as TZ I need to check it out. TZ still remains my favorite game and from best time in pinball imo. Love everything about it. There is always something to shoot for and no linear structure to force you to play a certain way. I also like how most of the modes are quick and simple. I even like where the pops are located and mini pf never gets old.

I agree with TahitianSea. TZ is not that different from any other 25+ year old game. Once you get things sorted, it holds up well. A few things can be a pain but that's true with just about every game new or old. Plenty of information and fixes out there for any issue you might have.

#31 4 years ago

TZ all day - twice on Saturday, thrice on Sun.

#32 4 years ago

I love my TZ, actually have had better luck in the last year with it maintenace wise then my newer pins. If you are looking for a longer journey in terms of wizard modes and achievments, Wonka will have more for you to do.. but TZ is great start to finish, a very well polished classic.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from shane63026:

I was thinking about trading my TZ for a Wonka. I have never played one or seen one in person.

Now that you have explained this is not a comparison check and more a “will I like Wonka better then my TZ” the only answer is go play one! Only you know how You enjoy your TZ and only you will know if you think it’s more fun then WW. You have a major distributor in your area, go play one.

As a side note I do think it says a lot about TZ when several that had one are willing to say they may get another some day. To me that says a lot about a game being willing to buy it twice. We love ours.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Tahitiansea:

I have spent a good bit of time on Wonka and I think with some more code polishing, it will get better but it is not quite there yet.

LOL! You obviously do NOT own one, nor have played the latest code.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Wonka did not look that impressive to me on launch from pictures and videos. If it's anywhere close to good as TZ I need to check it out.

So.....you've never played WONKA, but have played TZ....which the OP OWNS, and knows already..... so... how in the world is this helpful to the OP to decide wether or not to switch to Wonka?? Strange.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Only you know how You enjoy your TZ and only you will know if you think it’s more fun then WW. You have a major distributor in your area, go play one.

Exactly! ignore all the posts from the people who have NOT played Wonka at all, or at the very least a latest coded version. It is a COMPLETELY different pin with the latest code than it was when it was released in June/July

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

In fact, I think if you were to put a remade TZ against any modern day pin, it would be hard to vote against tz. Imagine if Cgc remade tz with the larger screen, improved GI, great sound and a topper for $8k!

You say with "great sound" as if Twilight Zone doesn't already have one of the greatest sound packages in pinball.

Quoted from shane63026:

Yeah, like Yelobird bird said, my first thought after reading this is that you just need to go play one and decide for yourself! Check out this flow chart to get an idea of the rules so you can know what you're doing when you find one.

D4DxqqrW4AA1gZk (resized).jpgD4DxqqrW4AA1gZk (resized).jpg
#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Tahitiansea:

I owned TZ for about 1 year and added some mods and did adjustments / small repairs initially but once it was dialed it, it was magic. For me, TZ was an experience. Even though it was roughly 30 years old, I never felt like it was missing bells and whistles compared to current games and it is loaded. Lots of different ways to attack the game. It is very stop and go but I really liked that change of pace. I spent time to think about shots and how to stack modes and multi balls. It is very much a risk / reward game - make your shots and life is good - miss, and be prepared to pay the price. I have spent a good bit of time on Wonka and I think with some more code polishing, it will get better but it is not quite there yet. If you hate doing small tweaks / repairs, TZ may test your patience. After messing with the clock repeatedly, I caved and just bought Ingo’s clock board. Once the game is dialed in, it is a great game and worthy of top 5.[quoted image]

That’s a really nice TZ you have

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from shane63026:

I know TZ is rated higher but I also like the look of willy Wonka.

Screw the ratings. Ratings are WORTHLESS. They can give you some insight into a game, and the written ratings are important to understand how the game might be over the longer term.

So that being said, my choice is obvious. Twilight Zone. Not because of any rating, but because it is a better game to play. If I had both sitting there, I'd play one game on Wonka. I always keep trying games I don't like. I know that sounds dumb, but I've found some gems in games I didn't like. And games can improve with code over time. But after playing that one game and validating my previous thoughts of the game, I'll then dump the rest of my quarters into TZ and have a blast for the afternoon.

And totally secondary to this, over time, own both. If you are really stuck trying to decide, buy Wonka. When you get sick of it (quickly) sell it, and get the TZ.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

You say with "great sound" as if Twilight Zone doesn't already have one of the greatest sound packages in pinball.
]

Very true, just that AFMr and mbR are on another level. When I had my game with an external sub hooked up, the whole room shook when you’d collect the power jackpot.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Screw the ratings. Ratings are WORTHLESS. They can give you some insight into a game, and the written ratings are important to understand how the game might be over the longer term.
So that being said, my choice is obvious. Twilight Zone. Not because of any rating, but because it is a better game to play. If I had both sitting there, I'd play one game on Wonka. I always keep trying games I don't like. I know that sounds dumb, but I've found some gems in games I didn't like. And games can improve with code over time. But after playing that one game and validating my previous thoughts of the game, I'll then dump the rest of my quarters into TZ and have a blast for the afternoon.
And totally secondary to this, over time, own both. If you are really stuck trying to decide, buy Wonka. When you get sick of it (quickly) sell it, and get the TZ.

Lol.. I like that! Thank you

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Yeah, like yelobird bird said, my first thought after reading this is that you just need to go play one and decide for yourself! Check out this flow chart to get an idea of the rules so you can know what you're doing when you find one.[quoted image]

Thank you for that! I think I'm going to make the choice to keep my TZ and the additional $2500 (in my pocket... lol)

#43 4 years ago

I have owned my TZ for over 13 years. I have been tempted many times to trade it in for a new model, but everytime I get close to doing it, I simply can't. The memories of when I first played back in the 90s come to my mind, and I find myself flipping it on and enjoying it for the exact same reasons I bought it for originally.

To the OP: Good move, save your money and buy Wonka after you play it. But always keep that TZ!

20190107_170838 (resized).jpg20190107_170838 (resized).jpg
#44 4 years ago

Every pin gets stale after a bit... if you want something new and fresh sell tz and get something else..... u can always get tz back later on.

#45 4 years ago

Well at least all the TZs here are as skittle puked as Wonka, making it a more fair comparison

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well at least all the TZs here are as skittle puked as Wonka, making it a more fair comparison

It is just the angle of the dangle

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

So.....you've never played WONKA, but have played TZ....which the OP OWNS, and knows already..... so... how in the world is this helpful to the OP to decide wether or not to switch to Wonka?? Strange.

Quoted from Seatmandan:

I know it's weird but sometimes I like to join in the conversation and talk about one of the games being discussed. I know that's very odd on a pinball forum talking about pins and all but I'm weird like that.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I know it's weird but sometimes I like to join in the conversation and talk about one of the games being discussed. I know that's very odd on a pinball forum talking about pins and all but I'm weird like that.

I wouldn't worry about it. Dude has typical Wonka dud denial syndrome.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from brett:

I completely agree twilight zone is the Best But Wonka is like my 5th place rated game they are both amazing examples of Pat Lawlor’s great work.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I wouldn't worry about it. Dude has typical Wonka dud denial syndrome.

You did read the part where I said I own BOTH, right??!? oh, and BTW- I DO know how to actually play TZ, in case you were wondering-

TZ_HS (resized).jpgTZ_HS (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 79.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lebanon, NJ
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-vs-willy-wonka?hl=shane63026 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.