77%
  • addams family 44 votes
    23%

(194 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190208_212314 (resized).jpg
1a19a3d016d5319d46b54e8fdb3c65228b9f3ce3 (resized).jpg
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I have a chance to buy either a twilght zone or addams family pinball machine. both are the same price but addams family comes with color dmd and is a nice players. the twilight zones playfield is beautiful and looks clearcoated it's so nice and comes with new decals and lots of uninstalled mods.which should I buy and why?

#2 5 years ago

TZ is the better player overall with more things to do. TAF is a good shooter, but it's really ramp/chair all day. With TZ you can go for MB, the Power MB, Door panels; just a lot more to do.

#3 5 years ago

TZ.

I always planned on getting an Addams Family, went so far as to get cabinet decals, plastics set, playfield, and kept my eyes peeled for one but no matter how many times I played it, it just never grew on me. I didn't care for the audio package either, always sounded muffled. Have had my TZ a long time now, and being a widebody there's more to shoot at - you have the mini playfield, the gumball machine, tons of mods available. Sound package/effects are great. And if you just want to sit back and look at one, i prefer TZ for that too lol.
You wont have trouble selling either one if you get tired of it.

#4 5 years ago

I am going to have to go with the Addams family. It is what got me into pinball seriously. I remember it being the first game that I played before I was a pinhead that made me feel like I had a shot at having a decent score and as a newb I was easily able to realize that if I make this shot several times I can get an extra ball. I have nostalgia with it. Plus the multi ball beginning gives me goosebumps still. Tons of mods for both games and you can't go wrong with either.

#5 5 years ago

I'd pick the TZ. Nicer playfield and addons. If you don't want the mods, you could sell them to help recoup the cost of adding a Color DMD if one of those is desirable.

#6 5 years ago

If you end up with the Addams and you need a plastics set and/or decals, let me know.....

#7 5 years ago

twilight zone

#8 5 years ago

I've owned both, each for over 5 years. I traded away TAF last year and kept TZ. In my opinion, TZ has more to do while TAF is more fun for casual players and guests.

#9 5 years ago

I love Addams, but really love me some TZ.

TZ wins out for variety and overall rules. It's probably too complicated for the novice player to immediately enjoy, but not so complicated that it's not fun. Overall great code and rules, always something interesting to shoot for. Well balanced rules too, nothing is overpowering. A good mode player can catch up to a multiball only strategy. Interesting multiballs, especially power ball mania trying to score jackpots on the mini playfield. And some fun strategy in this multiball and modes being scored in bonus, as you can skillfully time when you hit the collect bonus camera award - how many modern games have a collect bonus?? No matter how many times I play the powerfield it's still fun and rewarding to spot the door and double the power bonus. The orbit magnets are super cool how they change the way shots go and set up key shots. The playfield layout in general is just different than any typical layout, which is always refreshing. The sounds in the game are top notch, just like Addams. Can't say enough good things about it. Pat says it's where he made things "too complicated" but for the pinball enthusiast there's so much to love about it.

That said, Addams will always be good, for many of the same reasons as TZ.

#10 5 years ago

I prefer TAF, but since the TZ is in superior condition maybe go with TZ. Or go with the one you'll enjoy more.

#11 5 years ago

I totally just went on my own rant, so sorry for not specifically helping you with your question OP

#12 5 years ago

Have both, TZ by 2 miles and a horse's nose...

#13 5 years ago

man they are both tops for me. i hate that i no longer have each. if i had to go with one, it would be tz. there is very little in pinball that compares to being LOST IN THE ZONE

#14 5 years ago

Tz is a amazing pin with and probably has the best code of the 90s imo. Taf is fun and great theme integration but its no tz imo

#15 5 years ago

TZ is better but I have both.

#16 5 years ago

Addams family is awesome for family and friends and really nailed theme integration. Twilight Zone is probably better for more serious players, especially in a smaller collection. In a medium to large collection I'd be very tempted to have the Addam's Family for its broad range of appeal and overall fun factor.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

I totally just went on my own rant, so sorry for not specifically helping you with your question OP

this type of information is what im looking for bc i get tired of games easily so i will have to say its looking like twilight zone for the win

#18 5 years ago

if I'm real lucky I may get my friend to throw in a color dmd

#19 5 years ago

I have both that’s a heavyweight battle for sure Tz just Tops all it is still the best pinball ever made period in my opinion

#20 5 years ago

How can you separate siblings like that ? I say keep the family together and take both.

#21 5 years ago

TZ to me is still the best ever.

TAF is solid but I've never been a big fan.

#22 5 years ago

I'll go with Addams. Probably the best playfield layout ever, addictive gameplay, great modes, best gimmick/toy ever, awesome soundtrack and callouts...

There's a reason it's #1 of all time and still fetches top dollar even with 21,000 built.

TZ is good but just never grabbed me the same way.

#23 5 years ago

100% agree with RVAPinballer comments. TAF is a great game no doubt but TZ is just more great. Best mini pf, powerball, clever use of magnets, cool wizard mode, and lots of fun quick modes. Always feels like there is something to shoot for and so much you can do with stacking modes or how you start mb. Code is fairly complex yet pretty easy to understand. Easily my favorite pin ever. Criticism is often the stop and go gameplay or the pops that sit right about the left outlane. It all works brilliantly imo.

#24 5 years ago

This is a no brainer. TZ all the way. These were my first 2 games. TAF is gone - I miss it - but TZ stayed. Says it all.

Plus it’s a great condition one - that’s absolutely no contest

#25 5 years ago

I have TAF and I would suggest TZ.

#26 5 years ago

Both are great choices.

Twilight zone tips the scale though.

#27 5 years ago

I agree with the majority here. TAF is a really good pin with a great theme.

But TZ is one of the best ever made, in all aspects. Layout, code, theme and its a very challenging machine, that is loaded with mods that’ll you’ll never get any other pin like this again.

#28 5 years ago

I've owned both games that were restored and in great condition. Both are really fun games, but in my opinion TZ is an entirely different league that AF. They both have great theme integration, and shoot well....I ended up selling AF and keeping my TZ.....theres just more to do with TZ than AF. TZ is the closest thing to a modern JJP game....game is loaded with things to do....so really can't go wrong with either choice. I would pick the game that was in the best shape, and the theme that u enjoy the most....just FYI color DMD is must for both games (IMHO)

#29 5 years ago

Owned a gorgeous TAF, sold it.
Owned a gorgeous TZ, sold it. Bought another nice TZ. Sold that too. Then bought my final TZ!

TZ.

#30 5 years ago

Both are among the best example of 90s era DMDs. I know my answer is Twilight Zone, but I'm having a hard time deciding why. Both have great layouts, great rules, great toys, great theme integration, etc. I think the difference comes down to the shots from the 3rd and 4th flippers. I simply enjoy shooting the piano and camera more then the comparable shots on The Addams Family.

#31 5 years ago

You should play both and see what you think - they play very differently to me. I like more stop and go so I can look at the DMD more and I love 4 flippers - especially if 1 or 2 are the mini type - so TZ for me.

However if you like a little more flow AF may be a better choice.

Also theme to me is big - I can still play and like a game I don't love the theme - but if you are really into the theme it really brings game alive. I really like TZ and never really got into AF. I would not put a ton of weight that is has a color DMD - nice you save a few hundy - but you can always add one later. Same with the Mods on TZ - would not factor those in too much.

Also the nice thing about this hobby is you can always sell a game and get a different one down the road so don't fret too much.

Good luck on your choice!

#32 5 years ago

I was thinking it too Ptown, TZ does remind me of the kind of game you'd expect from Jersey Jack. Loaded with features.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

man they are both tops for me. i hate that i no longer have each. if i had to go with one, it would be tz. there is very little in pinball that compares to being LOST IN THE ZONE

Nope!

Touring the mansion is cooler!!!

Really nothing hooked me into pinball more than the quest to figure out what that question mark was.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nope!
Touring the mansion is cooler!!!
Really nothing hooked me into pinball more than the quest to figure out what that question mark was.

Up until 93’ it was!
Then we had a whole new “question mark” (door knob) to discover.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

I was thinking it too Ptown, TZ does remind me of the kind of game you'd expect from Jersey Jack. Loaded with features.

Kinda makes sense, as Jack reportedly wanted to create “TZ 2.0” with WOZ

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

You should play both and see what you think - they play very differently to me. I like more stop and go so I can look at the DMD more and I love 4 flippers - especially if 1 or 2 are the mini type - so TZ for me.
However if you like a little more flow AF may be a better choice.
Also theme to me is big - I can still play and like a game I don't love the theme - but if you are really into the theme it really brings game alive. I really like TZ and never really got into AF. I would not put a ton of weight that is has a color DMD - nice you save a few hundy - but you can always add one later. Same with the Mods on TZ - would not factor those in too much.
Also the nice thing about this hobby is you can always sell a game and get a different one down the road so don't fret too much.
Good luck on your choice!

TAF has 4 flippers too lol.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

.. Jack reportedly wanted to create “TZ 2.0” with WOZ

Swing and a miss.

#38 5 years ago

For me, it's Addams Family if I want a quick and simple game, Twilight Zone if I want to think about my shots.

They're both so popular for a reason and you can't go wrong. Go with whichever you think is best for you.

#39 5 years ago

TZ is the best pin ever!
I had an Addams for quite a while and when I really got into playing it it felt confining and that was aggravating.

#40 5 years ago

This is the Lennon Vs. McCartney battle of pinball if I ever saw one.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Swing and a miss.

Lol, I don’t know - I didn’t get WOZ at first, and I feel like DI is actually the most natural progression after TZ, but it’s hard to argue it’s not a feature-packed machine with lots of fun shots

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Lol, I don’t know - I didn’t get WOZ at first, and I feel like DI is actually the most natural progression after TZ, but it’s hard to argue it’s not a feature-packed machine with lots of fun shots

I think JJP is the best pinball maker in the world currently.

#43 5 years ago

I have them both. I would say get TZ as, overall, its the better player. That being said, if I was forced to sell one, I'd keep TAF as it was my first machine and I'm sentimental.

#44 5 years ago

TAF for the win.

I could never get into the Stop 'n Go of TZ. Everyone likes it, I guess it's just not for me however.

Besides, TAF has the greatest sequence of playfield lights bubbling up from the bottom, flashers and electrical zap sounds, and over-the-top callout for Multiball! SHOWTIME!

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

... but it’s hard to argue it’s not a feature-packed machine with lots of fun shots

Steeeeeeeeeerike 2 I kid. It is for sure a game with umm...a bunch of stuff on it. Although if you asked me for a fun shot in WOZ I could probably;y come up with one at some point.

Quoted from jbovenzi:

TAF has the greatest sequence of playfield lights bubbling up from the bottom, flashers and electrical zap sounds, and over-the-top callout for Multiball! SHOWTIME!

It's a classic for sure. I think NGG might have done it a tad better but debatable.
I'd take TZ's MB intro over both of them though...and that jackpot is a thing of beauty!

#46 5 years ago

I actually enjoy my TAF even more since disabling the thing hand.

#47 5 years ago

TAF is a thing of beauty.. can't go wrong with either.

1a19a3d016d5319d46b54e8fdb3c65228b9f3ce3 (resized).jpg1a19a3d016d5319d46b54e8fdb3c65228b9f3ce3 (resized).jpg
#48 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

TAF is a thing of beauty.. can't go wrong with either.
[quoted image]

Very nice #0949.

#49 5 years ago

Not sure I wouldn't pass on them both--although if they are priced right you'll be able to sell if you get tired of it. Had a TZ for a couple of years and got bored with it. Replaced it with a WW and think that is the better game of all three.

#50 5 years ago

Had both and they are both amazing games, and I think you'll be happy with either. As others have already said, you need to play both as they play very differently.

For me I like TZ much better. The theme, the music, the wide variety of shots and strategies.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 14.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 1,159.00
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-vs-addams-family-?hl=gornkleschnitzer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.