77%
  • addams family 44 votes
    23%

(194 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190208_212314 (resized).jpg
1a19a3d016d5319d46b54e8fdb3c65228b9f3ce3 (resized).jpg
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

I could never get into the Stop 'n Go of TZ. Everyone likes it, I guess it's just not for me however.

Agree, and so I sold mine.

#52 5 years ago

TZ will have more longevity

#54 5 years ago

What he said

Quoted from iloveplywood:

Addams family is awesome for family and friends and really nailed theme integration. Twilight Zone is probably better for more serious players, especially in a smaller collection. In a medium to large collection I'd be very tempted to have the Addam's Family for its broad range of appeal and overall fun factor.

#55 5 years ago

Both fantastic games. I happen to own TAF, and I will say that TZ is equally awesome. Both are feature-packed like crazy:

TZ: Gumball machine, "the power", the clock, the "dump" bucket if you're not ready to battle the power, the powerball
TAF: Thing, Thing flipper, Thing randomly flipping the flippers after a drain, the bookcase, the knocks during Seance from the solenoid in the cabinet

I want both. I really couldn't tell the OP which to buy. I bought TAF because it was available at the time, and I wanted to finally own the "pinnacle of pinball" at 20K units made.

TZ is on "the list" if I can ever snag one!

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Not sure I wouldn't pass on them both--although if they are priced right you'll be able to sell if you get tired of it. Had a TZ for a couple of years and got bored with it. Replaced it with a WW and think that is the better game of all three.

I feel the exact opposite. I own both WW and TZ currently and would love to move out WW for another pin. It rarely gets touched anymore while TZ gets play almost every day. When I first played TZ before I really learned to play it I hated it, but after having a tournament player friend show me how to play it I can't get enough. It starts slow and builds up to an amazing show if you can get it there. I never really got the allure of AF. I haven't played it enough though and probably would like it more if I knew the rules better.

#57 5 years ago

Got them both but bought TAF 3 Times since
Lou

#58 5 years ago

You can’t go wrong with either one. TZ is my slight fav just because of the theme. At first I didn’t get the appeal of it but you have to spend some serious time on it to appreciate the ingenious layout of the shots. Every single shot is a balance of risk vs reward and you have really think out your shots to score big points. It’s definitely a stop and go game but for me personally it’s the best 90s era game in terms of strategy and layout

#59 5 years ago

TZ! TZ will never leave my collection. Moved TAF to my arcade. It is popular, but I don’t find myself playing much as it gets more repetitive than TZ.

#60 5 years ago

TZ is a keeper for me, I don’t seem to ever get tired of it and I love the theme. Adams family didn’t last long in my collection.

#61 5 years ago

I had both at the same time. I sold TAF and I still have TZ. The only game I've regretted selling is TAF. But I would still pick TZ if I could have one.

#62 5 years ago

I have them both . Twilight Zone is a keeper for me but Adams Family gets very little play and wil probably go as soon as I need room for other games.

#63 5 years ago

Very biased opinion because I own an Addams, but TAF would be my choice. Although TAF seems simple compared to the crowded TZ playfield, flow turns into rhythm and it really is entertaining for everyone. I have tried to enjoy TZ but never had enough time on one to understand the draw. Perhaps you need to spend a lot of time on each, and see which makes you want to hit the start button over and over.

#64 5 years ago

Had both, love both, TAF left, TZ is staying. Can't go wrong either way.

#65 5 years ago

Only time in one of these that my answer is "both"....completely different games, and landmarks in their own right. TAF packs more into a standard body than most anything currently out there.....loads of fun....TZ is a shotmaker, with enough gadgets and gizmos to make anyone happy (or crazy).

Think TAF is #1 most ever sold, and still pricey, and TZ is ranked #1 on IPDB, and also pricey....good luck w this call

#66 5 years ago

I agree both alltime top 10 games, can't pick, no vote.

#67 5 years ago

Damn. No... just no. This question, and this entire thread is disallowed due to ambiguous subject matter.

Normally “vs” threads are easy to answer. However, this one is not able to be answered. You are choosing between two heavyweight contenders. Both can win at any given time. So really you are just asking “which do you like better”. There’s no right or wrong answer. Just buy one of them. Play the snot out of it and be happy. Enjoy.

#68 5 years ago

My TZ will be the last game I ever sell.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

I agree both alltime top 10 games, can't pick, no vote.

I can - no problem.

TZ

#71 5 years ago

Have both, they are completely different games. Because of that I would go against the advice of saying that "you will be happy with either".

TZ is an acquired taste. Those that love it, love it.. others can find it intimidating. TZ takes no prisoners, I've had games where I've struggled to get 50m, and the next game will be 400m+ (I'm not very good). Some days I really enjoy TZ, other days I find it frustrating. You can get drains that don't really feel like your fault (particularly from the pops of death). TZ feels to me very much like a game where you enjoy it proportional to how "in the zone" (huhuhu) you are when you're playing it. TZ isn't really a game where you can just roll up and play it and actually get anywhere, you have to think about what you're aiming for, what your strategy is, etc.

TAF was my grail pin for a long time. I finally managed to get one late last year and I must say I'm enjoying playing it more than TZ. Some days I just want to play and be flattered by a more simplistic and rewarding layout. TAF has flow in spades, and if you want to just enjoy playing pinball I think it's tough to beat. Drains on TAF feel more like things I've done wrong rather than "welp that's just the way it is", like TZ. That said for people who only enjoy deeper rulesets TAF would feel shallow pretty quickly.

I would say that TAF is the safer bet if you don't know what you want, but I would suggest playing some games on both of them, or on pins that have contrasting rulesets, etc to work out what you enjoy.

The only objectively correct answer is - both.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Have both, they are completely different games. Because of that I would go against the advice of saying that "you will be happy with either".
TZ is an acquired taste. Those that love it, love it.. others can find it intimidating. TZ takes no prisoners, I've had games where I've struggled to get 50m, and the next game will be 400m+ (I'm not very good). Some days I really enjoy TZ, other days I find it frustrating. You can get drains that don't really feel like your fault (particularly from the pops of death). TZ feels to me very much like a game where you enjoy it proportional to how "in the zone" (huhuhu) you are when you're playing it. TZ isn't really a game where you can just roll up and play it and actually get anywhere, you have to think about what you're aiming for, what your strategy is, etc.
TAF was my grail pin for a long time. I finally managed to get one late last year and I must say I'm enjoying playing it more than TZ. Some days I just want to play and be flattered by a more simplistic and rewarding layout. TAF has flow in spades, and if you want to just enjoy playing pinball I think it's tough to beat. Drains on TAF feel more like things I've done wrong rather than "welp that's just the way it is", like TZ. That said for people who only enjoy deeper rulesets TAF would feel shallow pretty quickly.
I would say that TAF is the safer bet if you don't know what you want, but I would suggest playing some games on both of them, or on pins that have contrasting rulesets, etc to work out what you enjoy.
The only objectively correct answer is - both.

Exactly!! Very well put!!!

#73 5 years ago

Twilight Zone by a mile. More things to shoot for, a ton more mods, more fun. I had a TAFG and it was the least played game in my small collection. I really couldn't wait to get rid of it. Just a drain monster.

#74 5 years ago

I have both, TZ is for me, TAF for family.. when I first started looking into pinball I had no idea of what TZ or TAF is, my first game was Metallica that got me hooked and I started looking for places to play more games, I remember when I played TZ for first time without even knowing what it is and was really impressed, googled it while still at the arcade just to find out it's one of the best of all time... got TAF first and a year later I got nice HUO TZ will keep both for awhile..

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

the twilight zones playfield is beautiful and looks clearcoated

All TZ came with diamond plate play fields, fancy trade Mark name for clear coat

#76 5 years ago

Both are fantastic games but i prefer TZ after a while i kinda lost interest in Addams Family.

#77 5 years ago

and the winner is twilight zone it has had the Playfield clearcoated and is a beautiful example.will post pictures tommorow as I'm tired from moving it.whew that thing is heavy

20190208_212314 (resized).jpg20190208_212314 (resized).jpg
#78 5 years ago

came with over 800 bucks of i installed mods and 5 piece decal set and pinblades

#79 5 years ago

uninstalled mods

#80 5 years ago

came with over 800 bucks of i installed mods and 5 piece decal set and pinblades

Here comes ebay!
I still have some of my old TZ mods to sell.

#81 5 years ago

$800 in mods doesn't mean a great deal though.. there are some seriously crazy priced mods in pinball, and TZ has arguably the most choice of them.

I've seen the pencil sharpener painted gold tailor made slot machine mod being listed for $400+ in places. Nuts.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

$800 in mods doesn't mean a great deal though.. there are some seriously crazy priced mods in pinball, and TZ has arguably the most choice of them.
I've seen the pencil sharpener painted gold tailor made slot machine mod being listed for $400+ in places. Nuts.

The slot machine is a great mod on TZ....its pretty hard to find these days....

#83 5 years ago

slot machine,street light,camera,piano, rocket, ingo clock board, cannon,cointaker color changing door for backbox, led flashers upgrade for door panel on playfield, pinblades and backboard decal, and cointaker super bright led kit with flashers too and 5 piece decal next gen set unopened

#84 5 years ago

these are all from pinball pro too all but the lights and decals

#85 5 years ago

slot machine,street light,camera,piano, rocket, ingo clock board, cannon,cointaker color changing door for backbox, led flashers upgrade for door panel on playfield, pinblades and backboard decal, and cointaker super bright led kit with flashers too and 5 piece decal next gen set unopened

Keep the ingo clock board. The rest can go, imo. Congrats!

#86 5 years ago

I'm installing every single one.he couldn't find the piano the day of me picking it up so I need that one now.but love these twilight zone mods they are the best

#87 5 years ago

TZ any given day..
Addams gets VERY boring once you complete the mansion.. Not hard to do too..

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

TZ any given day..
Addams gets VERY boring once you complete the mansion.. Not hard to do too..

+1 on this. Tour the Mansion was a huge let down for me after seeing Lost in the Zone.

#89 5 years ago

TZ all day! AF has cool features but I really think it's one dimensional. Ramp, scoop is only fun for so long.

1 week later
#90 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

TZ is the closest thing to a modern JJP game (IMHO)

Eww. Talk about underselling TZ.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 1,159.00
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-vs-addams-family-/page/2?hl=vj82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.