You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3439.jpg
IMG_3438.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I've already purchased 6 replacement LEDs for the 545 blinkers from CoinTaker (for the backbox). I don't think I want to buy the entire kit, unless that's the way to go, but I hear pinballlife has some led's that are really good for half the price and was thinking about just piece mealing it over time. Maybe some pictures and examples? I enjoyed reading the TOM LED suggestion thread earlier this week.

#2 11 years ago

Heres mine, a mix of cointakers and pinballlife bulbs, what do you think?

IMG_3438.jpgIMG_3438.jpg IMG_3439.jpgIMG_3439.jpg IMG_3440.JPGIMG_3440.JPG

#3 11 years ago

I played Jon's TZ at reciprocal skateboards and he has color changing leds in the doorknob and clock inserts. Looked very cool!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Looks good. What bulbs did you put in the pop bumper caps?

#5 11 years ago

They are pinball life Ablaze 4's I believe, cant check their website...

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

They are pinball life Ablaze 4's I believe, cant check their website...

Thanks for the reply

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I played Jon's TZ at reciprocal skateboards and he has color changing leds in the doorknob and clock inserts. Looked very cool!

I like that idea. Thanks. What bulbs should I be looking at for the play field inserts? I'm a total rookie. I'm not planning on doing GI .........for now.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Looks great! If I do the GI, I may look into those hues.

#9 11 years ago

My TZ was the best! If you like LEDs and mods. I was proud of it. I wonder if the buyer still has it?
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-for-sale

#10 11 years ago

Wowza's, that tz was outstanding, spiral rail was very cool, where did you get that?

#11 11 years ago

I forgot about that. Now, I am going to get TONS of pm's.

I bought it from pimpmypin.com Not sure they are mass producing them just yet. I was lucky to get them to sell me one of only a few they had. The new buyer bought my TZ I think mostly because of that ramp. I added some spots and some purple lights to brighten it up. It looked STUNNING in person.

#12 11 years ago

I like how convenient the Cointaker kits are, but I think I like the look of building your own kits with Ablaze LEDs. For me, matching insert color to Ablaze LED colors yields me a better, cleaner look. I haven't used a Cointaker kit in the last year though, so maybe things have improved.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

but I hear pinballlife has some led's that are really good for half the price and was thinking about just piece mealing it over time.

Quoted from drshaw:

What bulbs should I be looking at for the play field inserts?

If you're not looking to clown puke the whole thing, I would just worry aboot inserts first.
THere are, of course, a very wide group of opinions on the whole LED thing. The "half price" Ablazes are abalze 1s, which personally I haven't found a game they are bright enough for.
Which takes us to abalze 3s which are...like 69 cents? site down can't look. I tend to like CT frosted better than abalze 3s and I think the difference is 10 cents.

Use a white bulb for yellow, but everythings else is pretty much color matching.

EDIT: I like the frosteds better because they are bright, and they are less directional. Games always have, TZ for sure, bulbs facing sideways against an insert...frosteds handle those well.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Use a white bulb fro yellow, but everythings else is pretty much color matching.

I like the Ablaze 3 yellows for yellow. It makes them really pop, and it's true to color. Failing that, yes, the Ablaze 3 whites are next best. Too many LEDs turn them orange greenish.

drshaw, I can drop off a big bag of LEDs for you to play around with. I have a good 40-50 Cointaker LEDs in several colors and tons of the Ablaze LEDs. See what you like, because it really is a preference thing. I can get by this weekend, even if it's for a quick drop off. If not, early next week for sure.

#15 11 years ago

Ok, who's going home to put a color changing LED in their clock insert?
Yea, it's me.

#16 11 years ago

Is there some sort of made up list for how many leds I need and sizing for big games like TZ. I know there in the manual but I was hoping for a cheat sheet. Yes I can count them but that is work and I dont wanna!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Ok, who's going home to put a color changing LED in their clock insert?
Yea, it's me.

Yeah, I think Clock Millions and the door knob are great ideas for color changing LEDs.

Quoted from jar155:

drshaw, I can drop off a big bag of LEDs for you to play around with. I have a good 40-50 Cointaker LEDs in several colors and tons of the Ablaze LEDs.

Nice!

#18 11 years ago

I think the only one I'll be doing is the door knob color changing one. Fellow Pinsider jimjim66 lent me a bunch of different types of LED's and I tried about four different types in each of about four different areas on mine and the only one that really did anything for me is the red under the red inserts. Everything else, either the color was off, the entire insert wasn't lighting up, or there were voltage level issues. Some lights get a little bit of signal before they light up to "warm up" the filament, for LED's this means the light is on. There's also some voltage bleed from lights that are on the same circuit that results in some low level lighting from the LED's. The way I tested them out was to swap out different ones into the door panels on the right of the main door. That way, when the game is in attract mode, you can see 4 or 5 different versions at once and compare them to the originals on the other side.

I recently just cleaned the heck out of my inserts and even cleaned the bulbs(yes, they were THAT dirty) and WHAM, no need for LED's. Everything is super bright and lovely and fades in and out as programmed. I'm with Herg on this one. My TZ probably won't be getting LED's for a long time(aka when LED technology advances to replicate filament bulbs even more).

But it will get them at some point. It will happen.

#19 11 years ago

Installed a color changing LED on the door knob and clock millions insert this weekend with jar155. I really like that effect and figure they will be staying in there.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

Installed a color changing LED on the door knob and clock millions insert this weekend with jar155. I really like that effect and figure they will be staying in there.

I see CT has a slow fade and fast blink color changer.
Did you use one of these ?

#21 11 years ago

Fast blink. I think they were cointaker but I'm not 100% positive as they were from a friend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 132.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-tz-led-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.