Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1469400974232-790261488_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Recently bought a Twilight Zone. Compared to Metallica or MMR... Is it normal if the flippers are weaker?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Yes twilight zone flipper coils are a bit weaker. It uses a orange coil and thay are the second step in strength next to a blue for Bally williams.

#3 7 years ago

Thank you for your answer!

#4 7 years ago

A good guide to strength/playfield tilt is ease of making either of the ramps.

You should be able to make both ramps from the right flipper every time. From the left flipper, the right ramp should be every time, but the left ramp should be made only with the cleanest of backhands.

#5 7 years ago

Clean the optos on the flipper boards. This helps make the flippers stronger. Sometimes they're just really dirty.

#6 7 years ago

Thank you, I'll give the ramp shots a few trys and clean my flipper optos.

#7 7 years ago

I needed to change the opto board on my TZ due to a week upper right flipper a couple weeks ago. I couldn't find the "type 1" opto in stock ANYWHERE so I ordered the universal (type 1 and type 2) opto board from Great Lakes Modular. All I can saw is WOW...it's a great purchase and can be adjusted very easily to your liking. Just thought I would throw that out there in the event someone is looking for another alternative to the original type 1 opto board.

#8 7 years ago

Type 1 opto board is in stock at k's arcade. They just finally got them back in stock recently. I bought two and they work great.

https://ksarcade.net/type-1-flipper-opto-board-a-15878-a-15894.html

#9 7 years ago

When I think of a weak flipper I think of a rebuild kit or coil, can someone explain how this opto board can affect top right flipper on TZ?

thanks

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Type 1 opto board is in stock at k's arcade. They just finally got them back in stock recently. I bought two and they work great.
https://ksarcade.net/type-1-flipper-opto-board-a-15878-a-15894.html

Any idea where you can get the matching metal actuator?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

I needed to change the opto board on my TZ due to a week upper right flipper a couple weeks ago. I couldn't find the "type 1" opto in stock ANYWHERE so I ordered the universal (type 1 and type 2) opto board from Great Lakes Modular. All I can saw is WOW...it's a great purchase and can be adjusted very easily to your liking. Just thought I would throw that out there in the event someone is looking for another alternative to the original type 1 opto board

OK! if you're talking about part A-17316-GLM thay work great BUTTTT!!! are confusing to adjust (no big when there adjusted) most of all what makes me hate about the ones in my TZ now is that when slapping the flipper button thay vibrate ALOT!!! the spring steal keeps vibrating after a hard flipper slap.
And yes I hate them because it was money down the outlane! i was happier with the mismatched set that was in the game before installing these!!!

To post #7
RVH

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

OK! if you're talking about part A-17316-GLM thay work great BUTTTT!!! are confusing to adjust (no big when there adjusted) most of all what makes me hate about the ones in my TZ now is that when slapping the flipper button thay vibrate ALOT!!! the spring steal keeps vibrating after a hard flipper slap.
And yes I hate them because it was money down the outlane! i was happier with the mismatched set that was in the game before installing these!!!
To post #7
RVH

Well sorry you hate it so much. You can adjust the tension on the blade so maybe that would help resolve your vibration issue? I havent had any issues with mine at all. It takes a few minutes to adjust the magnet position but after that you're all set. I think it's a very viable option when the opto 1 boards are out of stock. Just my opinion.

#13 7 years ago

These are my flipper coils... Looks like there's something wrong, lol.

1469400974232-790261488_(resized).jpg1469400974232-790261488_(resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Should both be FL-15411's, Upper right FL-11722, Upper left mini FL-11753.
Could probably use a rebuild as well.

#15 7 years ago

Thank you, ngoett!!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Yes twilight zone flipper coils are a bit weaker. It uses a orange coil and thay are the second step in strength next to a blue for Bally williams.

So would you recommend going to the blue coils?

I know by the nature of the game that the magnet " flippers" on the mini PF get weaker when in one of the multiball modes....anybody ever address this? It does get a bit frustrating when you're in these ( fast lock, LITZ, etc.) and don't have full power up on the mini playfield.....

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

So would you recommend going to the blue coils?

No. Orange are the way to go for TZ.

#18 7 years ago

Also the flipper link on the left in your picture is worn out, notice the nut is not centered in the arm. I would not change to blue coils either, with rebuilt flippers/stops and sleeves the orange coils should be just fine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 132.00
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-tz-flipper-strenght?hl=no_skill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.