You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG

#1 10 years ago

Has anyone added a light behind the screen of the Hallmark TV? I kinda like the B&W screen that is on the ornament and would like to illuminate it. It seems like it would be pretty easy to do, but I have no idea of the best/easiest way to accomplish this. If anyone has done this (or has a good idea) and doesn't mind sharing, please let me know. I have it mounted in the usual location, upper RH corner.

#2 10 years ago

My inclination would be to tie a small LED into the GI lighting surrounding the gumball area.
Should be a total piece of cake to accomplish.

Rigging up the LED into the TV model should be the hardest part. And also a total piece of cake.
BTW, I don't possess this model. I'm just throwing out my .02

2 months later
#3 10 years ago

Well, I figured the lack of response meant this had to be so easy it was a dumb question (yes, there are dumb questions) to ask. Thanks for the encouragement, Fanatic.

So, I stopped by the local pinball guru's place and showed him what I wanted to do. The reply (as Fanatic said)--piece of cake! He gave me a salvaged 44 socket with attached wires and told me to go to town. The only tricky part might be getting a hole in the back panel without cracking the plastic. A burn thru via a soldering iron was suggested. Just for grins, I thought maybe a spade bit might just be the ticket. I twisted in a 1/2" spade bit by carefully by hand--whattayaknow--perfect cut! Put in a frosted 47 WW led I had laying around and hot glued the socket onto the back of the TV. Wired the leads up to a GI bulb, and voila! Not Las Vegas brite, but it did what I wanted it to do and lit up the screen.
IMG_0491.JPGIMG_0491.JPGIMG_0489.JPGIMG_0489.JPGIMG_0487.JPGIMG_0487.JPG

#4 10 years ago

I have that same TV in the back of my game, but it has a Key chain type LCD screen in it that is loaded with various scenes from the TV series. Works really well, will take pictures after work if interested.

#5 10 years ago

That is a super cool mod, but I figured that one was a little beyond my capabilities!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-tv-adding-a-light and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.