IMG_1650_(resized).JPG
0627160544a_(resized).jpg
sw_14.jpg
0626162050a_(resized).jpg
TZ_cdi_grn-brn.jpg
0624161046_(resized).jpg
0624160924_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

My tilt Bob isn't working. Tilt slam on the door and floor of cab are registering during a switch test, however, the tilt Bob is not. All the wires are connected.
Also, when you open the coin door the high voltage does not shut off. Not sure if they are related?

#2 7 years ago

Check wires on J6 at the coindoorinterfaceboard, Wht-Yel and Grn-Brn (2x)

#3 7 years ago

I think the sample TZs didn't have the high voltage shutoff switch. Is yours a sample?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

I think the sample TZs didn't have the high voltage shutoff switch. Is yours a sample?

The break was mid-production. So samples and first-half of production have one switch there at the coin door ('memory protect'), while later half of production have two. ('memory protect' and high-voltage cutout.)

#5 7 years ago

Wires at coin door board seem fine. How do I tell it is a sample?

#6 7 years ago

Yep, one switch it appears. Now I just need to figure out tilt issue.

0624160924_(resized).jpg0624160924_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

I took a picture of the coin door board.

0624161046_(resized).jpg0624161046_(resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

I'm quite sure there should be a 2nd Grn-Brn on J6-7, can you follow the one from the tilt-bob assembly to J6 and see where it goes ?
TZ_cdi_grn-brn.jpgTZ_cdi_grn-brn.jpg

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The break was mid-production. So samples and first-half of production have one switch there at the coin door ('memory protect'), while later half of production have two. ('memory protect' and high-voltage cutout.)

Ok, my TZ does not have a coin door switch. So where does this machine fit in?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from apc7654:

Ok, my TZ does not have a coin door switch. So where does this machine fit in?

Means it was made before sometime in September, I believe. (Don't quote me on that, I'm running on faded memories.) In effect, your game was made about in the first half of the games that were made.

#11 7 years ago

NO coin door switch? That doesn't make any sense. Coin door switches had been on tons of titles since well before TZ. Why would his game even get one?

Maybe it's just not mounted? Could it be hanging just inside the door?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

NO coin door switch? That doesn't make any sense. Coin door switches had been on tons of titles since well before TZ. Why would his game even get one?

High power interlock switches aren't on all games, especially pre TZ.

First third of TZ's didn't have high power interlock switch, only memory protect switch. Middle third of TZ's had high power interlock switch, but not wired in, last third of TZ's had high power interlock switch - wired in and working.

LTG : )

#13 7 years ago

Right, but no matter what, there should be at least 1 coin door switch, correct? That was my point.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

No where are there switches, high power interlock or memory protect.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

there should be at least 1 coin door switch,

And he has one. In post #6, you can see a picture of it. White switch, two wires to it.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

That was my point.

I apologize. You were responding to apc7654 and not the original poster. Since you didn't quote him, I thought you meant the original poster.

#17 7 years ago

There is a second green brown.

0626162050a_(resized).jpg0626162050a_(resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago

Ok, some more questions,

in switch test,
-does the start button sw#13 work ?
-is sw. 24 'alway closed' present in the switch matrix ?
-does it trigger 'plumb bob' sw#14 if you put a wire from Wht-Yel to Grn-Brn ? (careful ! don't put it on the red wire !)

If it does trigger sw#14, the problem has to be found in direction of the tilt itself, maybe a bad connection to the assembly.

sw_14.jpgsw_14.jpg

#19 7 years ago

Starts works, 24 closed, the jumper does trigger plum tilt switch. I'll check connections after work tonight. Although they look good.

0627160544a_(resized).jpg0627160544a_(resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I apologize. You were responding to apc7654 and not the original poster. Since you didn't quote him, I thought you meant the original poster.

No worries! Sometimes I forget to direct my responses by using the quote features properly. But yes, I think it's extremely odd that apc7654 doesn't have ANY kind of coin door switch.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I think it's extremely odd that apc7654 doesn't have ANY kind of coin door switch.

Well guys, I feel like a complete idiot not noticing the switch was located down and around the corner from the door. I was looking for the switch where others have pictured it at the top left of the door. It was the above quote from Miguel351 that made me take a closer look, and this is what I found....

IMG_1650_(resized).JPGIMG_1650_(resized).JPG

#22 7 years ago

Yep, you have a Coin Controls door on that game, not an Entropy door.

The switch is low on that door because it was designed for a top-entry bill acceptor/stacker.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Starts works, 24 closed, the jumper does trigger plum tilt switch. I'll check connections after work tonight. Although they look good.

Clean the corrosion off the plumb and ring. The dirt is keeping it from making an electrical circuit.
Short the wires on the top and on the ring of the plumb to prove the wiring is good. then you know it is the dirt on the plumb and ring itself.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

Clean the corrosion off the plumb and ring. The dirt is keeping it from making an electrical circuit.
Short the wires on the top and on the ring of the plumb to prove the wiring is good. then you know it is the dirt on the plumb and ring itself.

Yep, this what I did. All good!! Danger danger you're tilting me mother trucker.

Only thing I have left to do is figure out if my flippers need to be rebuilt. Sometimes when I try to quickly transfer from flipper to flipper I don't get the little quick flip. It takes too long or I have to release flipper all the way as opposed to a quick tap. Maybe the upper flipper has something to do with it? Seems the upper flipper engages on a full button push, not a half push. Lower engages on half. Again, I'm probably being too picky.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Seems the upper flipper engages on a full button push, not a half push. Lower engages on half.

This sounds correct

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Seems the upper flipper engages on a full button push, not a half push. Lower engages on half. Again, I'm probably being too picky.

Has to do with the opto interrupters. There are two different lengths on the interrupter for the two different opto circuits of the two different flippers. The one for the bottom flipper "uninterrupts" the beam first, then the one for the upper.

Same operating principle as the more mechanical version of the double flipper switch found in a TAF.

The pros practice finding that spot(where the upper flipper engages) on each machine they play in a tourney to be able to trap a ball below, but still use the upper for the jackpot shots. It's quite the thing to watch!

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

It's quite the thing to watch!

I bet! Thanks for the info. Now I don't have to rebuild flips.

Ps. I'd love to watch you.

#28 7 years ago

You can see the step in the interrupter. The top opto will conduct first slightly before the bottom opto.

flipmech_(resized).jpgflipmech_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 79.50
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-tilt-issue-1?hl=starwriter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.