Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I had a question about which flipper assembly to purchase for my TZ pin as the left flipper can no longer hit the ball hard enough to launch it to the top of the play field. I believe I have found which flipper assembly I need to purchase at this site:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=172&parent=0

but I am not sure which coil I am supposed to choose (I know which coil stop)

On another note since I am writing this, ever since I have had my TZ machine the ball sometimes gets stuck in the player piano and needs a nudge to get the ball released. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

#2 10 years ago

That's not what you need to fix your issue. What you need is just a flipper rebuild kit, and I'd do both left and right flippers at the same time. Your coils are fine, don't worry about those.

Here's the exact flipper rebuild kit you need: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=983&parent=172

This will rebuild both your left and right main flippers. This will make them feel new again. The only reason why you'd need a new coil is if they were heat stressed and warped to the point where you couldn't slip out the coil sleeves when you do the rebuild.

As for the player piano, you might have a switch that's getting a little flaky in there, but it's hard to say without knowing a few other things. Do you have your machine set steep enough? Is it leveled well?

#3 10 years ago

Do you have the owner's manual? It will tell you which coil to purchase. The coil # should also be on the coil on your machine.

Doesn't the "complete" mechanism come with the coil?
Why are you buying the entire mechanism? Are they really corroded or broken? Replacing the coil, coil sleeve and flipper bushing along with a good cleaning should solve the problem. I would check the switches also.

I would listen to Jar. I have never had a weak flipper on my machines. Just an inop coil.

#4 10 years ago

Alright thanks for the help guys I will try out the rebuild kit. Are these very hard to install?

#5 10 years ago

Rebuild kits are very simple to do. I can do a flipper in about 5 minutes. When you do it, you will be loosening up the flipper bat, so when you tighten it back up, make sure they're properly aligned and that you have good up/down play in them.

Here's a VERY in-depth guide: http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/index3.htm#flip

Honestly, it's a very simple thing to do. It's one of the very first "fixes" I ever learned in pinball, and it's one of the first things I do whenever I bring a new machine home.

4 months later
#6 9 years ago

Alright so I installed the flipper rebuild kit and that didn't change anything, flipper was still not getting the ball all the way up the table. So I decided to go ahead and put a new coil in and that didn't work. Does anyone have any other ideas on what to look at? Because I am stumped.

#7 9 years ago

You're absolutely certain it's leveled? I know it sounds stupid, but..... 2 degrees can matter!

#8 9 years ago

Okay so now the flipper has stopped working completely, replaced the fuse but that did nothing

#9 9 years ago

dirty flipper optos??

try cleaning them off.

#10 9 years ago

Excuse my ignorance but what are the flipper optos?

Also, I know the flipper button works fine because the other flipper connected to the same button still flips when pressed.

#11 9 years ago

they are apart of the boards that cover the flipper buttons. you'll see when you push the flipper button(s).

should be 4 of them..total. clean with compressed air or qtip w/ water or windex.

i'd go with the qtip.

(edit) optos are a type of sensors...if dirty can lead to weak or no flipper action.

#12 9 years ago

you might try going into the backbox and unplug the flipper connection clean pins with an eraser and replug them in. Just my 2cents.

#13 9 years ago

Okay so I got the flipper working again, it was the fuse. Ergo the problem of the weak flip still remains. One thing that I have noticed is that the weak flippers coil gets much hotter than that of the other flipper which works fine.

#14 9 years ago

I would start troubleshooting this one by swapping the two flipper boards that are mounted on the side of the cabinet. Sometimes the wiring is long enough to just swap the connectors left and right, in other case, simply unscrew the boards and swap them. This is an easy way to check if the problem is on those flipper boards. The opto's (or even their ICs) do get funky sometimes (fluttering) and that could cause the holding power to quickly activate and deactivate, making the coil hot and less powerfull.

Once you have moved the boards and the problem does not move to the other flipper then you have a short on the Fliptronics board. First thing you need to be aware of is that closing your coin door will enable/disable the high power circuits, so make sure to keep your coin door open, you don't want to melt your brand new coil! But don't forget to close it while testing or you will get zero readings (a real "doh! Moment sometimes)

But let's first see what the above procedure will tell us...

#15 9 years ago

Well it turned out to be the flipper opto boards! So I just need to order a new one for the other side. Thanks everyone for your help in troubleshooting this issue!

#16 9 years ago

Thanks for letting us know. Although I didn't help on this particular issue this kind of thing is what makes this forum special. We don't find fault, complain about a repeat question, etc etc.

All we want to do on Pinside is help out and make pinball all it can be for everyone who wants to be involved in the hobby.

#17 9 years ago

Does anyone know where I could order a new flipper opto board for Twilight Zone?

#18 9 years ago

What part of the world do you live in Foxymophandle?
might be a supply house close by?

#19 9 years ago

Phoenix, AZ. But its alright I located one online and purchased it, hopefully it will be there this week .

#20 9 years ago

Good luck with your TZ Foxymophandle. Just had some issues last week with my Shadow involving optos (also involved some problems with the ball trough). Game is working like a dream now. I wonder if my TZ is jealous that I'm spending more time with Shadow.

#21 9 years ago

Good to hear that, Foxymophandle. Have fun with your game when the new board comes in!

By the way, your old board probably isn't that busted, you might consider hanging on to it. Probably a broken opto, funky ic or maybe just a cold solder joint.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside