(Topic ID: 203705)

Twilight Zone: Switch matrix issues-RESOLVED!

By Seatmandan

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4173.JPG
IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_2187 (resized).JPG
IMG_2188 (resized).JPG
WPC89 CPU compnt-side ZAZ FEB2017-10 column7.jpg
CPU-TZ-lower (resized).JPG
switch mat-tz (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Just recently I started having a strange issue with my TZ. during gameplay, the optos on column 7 stop working. these are the auto-fire kicker ball detector optos, the load gumball ball detector optos, right ramp enter optos, and both top and bottom mini playfield exits optos. In addition, the 2 playfield leaf targets for the millions at the pop bumpers stop as well. Basically, the entire column. this causes the autofire kicker as well as the gumball load popper to keep firing nonstop. When I go into the error report, it states "ball popper opto is stuck"

Now, I've done some investigating, and the problem seems to be linked to the connector plug at J206. If I press on the plug while in switch edge test, I hear the beeps as if the switches start to work again. when I release my finger pressure, it beeps again, and stop working. The games CPU had previous battery leakage damage before I bought it, and appeared to have abatement work done. It's worked fine for the last year and a half and just started acting up.

Now, I had this problem show up a week ago, and I temporarily fixed it by re-seating all plug connectors in the backbox. It has popped back up!

Is the problem in the CPU board, or could it be in the 10-opto PCB under the playfield?

All help is appreciated! -Dan

switch mat-tz (resized).JPGswitch mat-tz (resized).JPG

CPU-TZ-lower (resized).JPGCPU-TZ-lower (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Make sure it's not the IDC connector, and that you don't have loose wires in the connector itself.

I went through and re-seated the IDC wires in the connector, and it seems good. I think that the pressing on the connector to trip the switch row on or off was in the pin header, but still not 100% sure. Could the IDC connector sleeves buried in the plastic that slide onto each pin (8 of them) be bad?

#6 6 years ago

Zaza/Coyote, thanks for the feedback so quick! I will check more into it tonight.

Quoted from Coyote:

It will only by the 10 opto board if - when the switches all go dark, the Upper Left 5 Mil target does NOT respond. If it DOES respond, then the opto board's dropping out of the circuit. (Losing power, etc.) Though, pressing on the MPU won't change that, so the opto board is likely fine.

Coyote,

Yeah, I'm thinking the problem is definitely at the CPU column connector, or the traces back to the U20. when the column fails, ALL the switches on that column fail including the 2 millions target switches. (middle left 5 million at 77 and Upper left 5 million at 78) This board has a bunch of jumpers installed in this area previously by a former owner to deal with the acid damage I believe. I can update with photos later.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 6 years ago

Is it possible that the power driver board could in some way be creating this issue?

#10 6 years ago

Gotcha. Another note- I can't seem to find the part number for the 9-pin IDC plug. I can find the pin header but not the plug. do you know the part number for it? Is it this one? (9-pin in list)

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=68

#11 6 years ago

UPDATE:

After investigating the CPU board, I discovered there were TWO problems that I needed to fix.

1.) the J206 Pin header had a faulted Pin 7. Replaced the CPU with a rottendog (also upgraded my ROM from L4 to 9.4H) This fixed the faulted pin
2.) The J206/7 9-pin connector had a bad connector inside of the number 5 pin. Didn't realize it, but this column was also out.

Fixed both of these issues (replaced connector/replaced CPU) Twilight Zone is back to normal!!!
ALSO: 9.4H is a great update to L4

dropped some coin on the new board, but wanted one anyway. Also, I will eventually be sending the OEM board out to be looked at/repaired.

Repairs were already made, this board had acid damage in it's history with who knows how many blown out traces. See pictures

IMG_2188 (resized).JPGIMG_2188 (resized).JPG

IMG_2187 (resized).JPGIMG_2187 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 79.50
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-switch-matrix-issues?tu=seatmandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.