(Topic ID: 296703)

Twilight Zone Switch 24 not always closed: row 4 issue

By PinballAir

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    938707E5-5203-4403-9FC7-922BE35B6E30 (resized).jpeg
    475036C6-2A82-437C-8553-2D858FCA7B9E (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

IF I disconnect J1 on the coin interface door, switch 24 closes.

Wait, are you sure you typed this part right?

Switch 24 is closed BY a diode on the CDI. If you disconnected the CDI, then switch 24 should OPEN, not CLOSE. If it IS closing when you unplug the CDI, something else is flaky. A lot of "something else"s, since that logically can't make sense..

1 month later
    #18 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

From here , i will likely buy a different clock board ( a common denominator) and continue changing the optos in that row.

You are welcome to do this, but it isn't the issue sadly. The only common denominator is the switch rows, and the clock board only connects those TO the column driver. No current is drawn from them to affect other switches in those rows.

Good luck, though!

#20 2 years ago

Have you swapped out MPUs?
    If not, have you changed out the LM339 or the 74LS240 on the row side of the switch matrix circuit in the MPU?

Frankly, this sounds like an MPU issue - when cold, a cap or chip is out of spec, and then once t warms up it starts to operate normally. This would affect both cabinet switches (24 'Always closed' and tilt) and playfield switches, as well as the clock column (column 9).

Considering all the time and money you sound like you're spending - changing all the optos, the clock boards, etc - I would try and find a different MPU to use first, just to rule it out.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I agree. See post 16.
    I should have the boards back tomorrow or wednesday to try them out.
    When the board guy had them in the test fixture they behaved ok. I told him specifically what to look for and how it occurs but i was not there when he did the work.
    I will wait to try them out.
    Finding another board to swap in will not be easy.
    Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

Ah, okay! Good then, I had missed that! Apologies!

Quoted from PinballAir:

Finding another board to swap in will not be easy

I would be surprised if there wasn't another collector in your area that had a WPC game you could borrow an MPU from!
    Keep us informed!

1 week later
    #25 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Finding another board to swap in will not be easy

I would be surprised if there wasn't another collector in your area that had a WPC game you could borrow an MPU from!

Quoted from PinballAir:

The gumall vuk kicks 5 or 6 times.
    Lock kicks 5 or 6 times.

Please, PLEASE reference the manual. These two things are related, but completely unimportant here. You disconnected two optos, which the game then thinks they are blocked. Gumball Popper (74) and the Middle Lock (84). Disconnecting these WILL CAUSE this to occur. This is expected in this situation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-switch-24-not-always-closed-row-4-issue?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.