Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Eric_S
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tzpinballphoto18 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

My TZ machine stays in testing mode and won't do anything else. I replaced the WPC board with a new one because it had a fried chip and I was getting the ground short row 1 error. It worked for a few games then started this testing mode on start up. Love the machine but recently can't keep it working. How do I get past the testing mode? Thanks

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Hosehead:

I replaced the WPC board with a new one

ok,you might have a short somewhere on the playfield or under the playfield.swapping out boards sometimes is a bad idea especially if there is a short.Now you probably ruined both boards.look in the manual and on the switch matrix chart locate row 1 and look and test each switch in that row.Remember TZ does not have a hi-power shutoff it could be a piece of metal touching a coil or a diode on a switch has shorted.How did this problem start?playing the game,replacing a switch,part ect.?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Hosehead:

My TZ machine stays in testing mode and won't do anything else. I replaced the WPC board with a new one because it had a fried chip and I was getting the ground short row 1 error. It worked for a few games then started this testing mode on start up. Love the machine but recently can't keep it working. How do I get past the testing mode? Thanks

Are you certain the old board was fried? The only way to be sure is to swap it into another game and see if it acts up the Same way.

It does sound like you have a short somewhere, but the new board is probably not toast; a switch short doesn't carry enough voltage to cause a problem like that

Does the game not come out of test mode if you use the service buttons?

#4 1 year ago

Maybe a stuck switch on the coin door test buttons? Maybe unplug the coin door connector and boot up the game to see what happens.

#5 1 year ago

When you say "testing mode", are you meaning the bootup screen? (The screen where it says 'TESTING...' and may or may not have a progress bar? You see this on turn-on.)

If so - what ROM version are you running, and if you are running 9.4H, at what point does the progress bar stop?

#6 1 year ago

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I start to run out of ideas. Plus I run out of time to get in here. The photo below is all the machine does. The bell rings once during start up but nothing else. The door buttons do nothing either. Why would the machine not stop testing. Does it find a problem that it can't get past? I will check the ideas you all gave me. I did check the row 1 for shorts before I changed the board out. I thought it might have been the optos on the gumball machine. Could they cause this? Thanks

tzpinballphoto18 (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Hosehead:

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I start to run out of ideas. Plus I run out of time to get in here. The photo below is all the machine does. The bell rings once during start up but nothing else. The door buttons do nothing either. Why would the machine not stop testing. Does it find a problem that it can't get past? I will check the ideas you all gave me. I did check the row 1 for shorts before I changed the board out. I thought it might have been the optos on the gumball machine. Could they cause this? Thanks

ok try doing this power off and reseat the game rom,do this very slowly and gently so you wont bend or miss any pins..then power back on and see if anything changes

#8 1 year ago

It is now booting up and allowing me in to test sometimes it but in the middle of testing the solenoids it just takes off on it's own and locks the flippers up and rapidly rolls through the entire testing configuration. If I just leave it on without doing anything the clock and flippers all run on their own. I have to shut it off to stop it. The row 1 short is gone with the new board but this erratic behavior like it's running the show itself has taken over. I will check the game rom. I believe we may need an exorcism. Thanks

#9 1 year ago

How does your battery area look, any signs of corrosion?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

How does your battery area look, any signs of corrosion?

this would be the next thing to look into if reseating the rom doesnt do it,the first attack of corrosion is the menu buttons

#11 1 year ago

Bad Ribbon cable, or bad board.

If everything is getting activated, flippers, etc, it means that the data lines are being held high. Not leaving bootup move means it's receiving garbage on the data line.

Try unplugging audio and fliptronics board, see if that helps.

If it does, plug one in and try it.

If you have a spare ribbon cable, try it. (If you don't, and need one, and me a PM.)

#12 1 year ago

It isn't the batteries because this new board doesn't have batteries. It is a brand new Rottendog board with the memory installed. It has told me all different things when I can get it to boot up. Once it was the soundboard, once the clock, it keeps changing. After installing the new board it worked for 1 two player, 3 ball game. I then went in and made some changes, date/time, volume level, number of balls, difficulty level. After that it rebooted in the middle of playing and has been acting up since. Making those changes shouldn't have caused anything I wouldn't think. I will check all of the cables again. This place is great. You think you are alone trying to figure this stuff out and find out that you aren't. Thanks

#13 1 year ago

I agree that making those changes shouldn't have changed anything, but what's your 5v power at? If it's way off, it could be causing weird behavior. Don't know what the watchdog is set at in a rottendog board...

#14 1 year ago

Likey it's the soundboard then.
If you got one error on it, that's a good cause.

Essentially, a lot of data lines (not all of them) extend from the MPU to the Fliptronics, Sound, and Display board. On bootup, the MPU expects communication back from the Sound board. Display and Fliptronics boards, no.

Without the sound board in, the bootup will take a little longer, as the MPU gives up asking the board for a status. However, if something on that chain of boards is sending bad data, or there is noise - causing the MPU to incorrectly read/write data - then that will cause an incomplete bootup (keep in mind: Other things will, too!) and cause resets after bootup. (The /RESET line is on that ribbon cable too..)

Data lines stuck high could then cause the Fliptronics board to think the MPU is telling it to activate the flippers. Or tell the 8-driver board to spin the clock, and so on.

#15 1 year ago

Had time today to check all cables and the game rom. After messing with them the machine works perfect. The data cables are original and some long ones are twisted. I tried straightening them when I installed the new board and maybe I shouldn't have. Can I buy all new data cables for TZ? The machine works great right now and nice to have it back. Thanks everyone for all the help.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Hosehead:

Had time today to check all cables and the game rom. After messing with them the machine works perfect. The data cables are original and some long ones are twisted. I tried straightening them when I installed the new board and maybe I shouldn't have. Can I buy all new data cables for TZ? The machine works great right now and nice to have it back. Thanks everyone for all the help.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=52

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside