Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Adipocere
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi. So I recently did some repair work on my Twilight Zone board (mounting a remote battery). The battery job seems to have worked just fine but, as always seems to be the case, something else is wrong. Specifically, when I press the Start button, it does not start the game. The button is flashing as normal and I can hear the switch clicking, but no game starts. Doing a switch test, the start button does not register (and incidentally, the "Empty Balls" feature doesn't work at all either). Is it possible I fouled something up on the board? A blown fuse? Something plugged in wrong? Any idea where I should start looking to try and narrow it down? Sorry, if this seems a little vague. Just looking for a starting point.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I'd check continuity of each wire from switch to cpu, to see if there is a break along the way.

If all good, then I'd turn the game on, remove the switch connector for the start button from the cpu. Take a wire and touch ground and the pin the start button switch goes to. See if it works or not. If not - board issue.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check continuity of each wire from switch to cpu, to see if there is a break along the way.
If all good, then I'd turn the game on, remove the switch connector for the start button from the cpu. Take a wire and touch ground and the pin the start button switch goes to. See if it works or not. If not - board issue.
LTG : )

Thank you for the prompt reply LTG! A cursory examination of the wires suggests that is not the issue. I reseated everything to be certain. I am now thinking that the problem is related to the ULN2803A transistor at U20 that I removed from the board during installation (and replaced afterwards). I think it might be giving me errors considering a lot of other things along that line are not responding (saw this mentioned as a culprit in similar threads that I found after making this one. Oops.)

First things first: I have a few new ones ordered and on the way and I'll see if replacing it does the trick. Learning a LOT in a short time here!

Thanks again. I'll update with my progress or lack therof.

#4 4 years ago

UPDATE: I was also getting some Switch Matrix errors in addition to the above (36,37 and 46, 47, which I learned from info on this site is a classic "rectangle" problem). I replaced the U20 chip which fixed some errors (the start button now worked, as did the ball trough and some other areas that hadn't before) but the switch issues were not fixed.

SO, after some further examination, I noticed something new: a little bit of corrosion on top of a few slots of the Molex Connectors for J206/J208. This had been missed by me when I did the corrosion cleaning on the board prior to installing the new remote battery (I just did not think to check/ clean the connectors. Lesson learned, much like the lesson of never leaving batteries on the board...). Seeking to isolate the issue before I ripped anything else out of the board, I cleaned it up and neutralized it as best I could, scrapped off the residue, and plugged them back in.

Success! We're back in business with no errors. I'm gonna give it a little bit and make sure this holds before I mark this solved. And yes, I know I need to replace those Molex Connectors ASAP as well. It feels good to have isolated the problem at least, and I learned a lot in the process.

Thanks again to all of the extremely helpful people here, both in this thread and in the many, many others I searched for the solution to this issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 14.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 12.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 132.00
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-start-button-does-not-start-game-after-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.