Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pugsley
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I LOVE this game. The game play, PF layout, toys, graphics...etc....

I hate the sound quality. Is this supposed to sound scratchy to fit the theme? I can't even understand what the little extra ball girl is saying.

Should I forget about it because it is supposed to be like this?
Speaker upgrade help?

Should I just quit bitching?

Should I stop this post and go to work?

Should....

#2 7 years ago

That doesn't sound right to me. I can definitely hear everything and it isn't scratchy at all. Try reseating cables? Someone else may have to chime in.

#3 7 years ago

It's not going to sound as good as the DCS games you've owned, but you should be able to hear everything clearly. If you can't even understand what Talky Tina is saying, something is definitely wrong with your machine. Check all the connectors. Maybe something came loose while you were moving it.

#4 7 years ago

You might want to check out some youtube vids -- obviously, the sound won't be perfectly representative of real life, but you ought to be able to suss out differences in intelligibility. When I got my LOTR I thought the voice samples were a muffled/low quality. Youtube confirmed for me that's just how they are on that game.

#5 7 years ago

T_G, that "little extra ball girl" is Talky Tina! Don't mess with her dude!

#6 7 years ago

Yea something must be wrong, the sound quality should be just fine. May be connection or caps could have cold soldier joints. May also be a problem with the amplifiers, if all else fails, send it out for assessment/repair.

I have the sub in mine and it sounds superb. I have been thinking of selling my TZ too, she would have gone well in your collection

#7 7 years ago

My favorite game!!Try reseating connectors.Make sure sound rom are seated fully.Push down on them.Check speaker connections.If none of this works you could have a blown speaker.All the usual parts guys should have replacement ones,or while you're at it you could go with one of the upgrades.Pinball Pro or Flipper Fidelity.Good Luck,Scott

#8 7 years ago

Some of the samples in TZ are fairly low quality - the extra ball one certainly included, it's nothing like as clear as the quiet male voice used for other samples.

#9 7 years ago

I can understand everything in mine. I think Talking Tina was Chucky's mom.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Some of the samples in TZ are fairly low quality ...

It's a real shame that the DCS system wasn't ready in time for TZ.

I have the original set of speakers that I pulled out of my TZ when I upgraded them. If you need them, TG, they're yours.

#11 7 years ago

Funny, I've got no complaints about the sound quality on TZ. If i step back and try to analyse the sound quality, I can recognize that the quality is lower, but I feel like it has no impact on the game. If I didn't know otherwise, I wouldn't have realized that it didn't use the same sound system as my No Fear.

You should be able to clearly hear "I'm Talky Tina, here's your extra ball!", followed by the sound effect and creepy giggle (the best is when that shot starts multiball, because the machine turns off the music as soon as you hit the shot, but doesn't start the multiball music and sound effects until after the EB sequence, so you hear Tina against a background of silence; the laugh is haunting.). If you can't, there's something badly wrong with your sound system.

First things i'd reality-check with is to see if it sucks equally regardless of the volume, and whether the music and sound are both crappy, or just the sound effects.

#12 7 years ago

The crappy sound you are hearing on TZ is probably normal. It is pretty bad compared to most pre-DCS games. My understanding is that since the sound was prepared for the DCS sound system, but the DCS system wasn't ready, that it had to be down sampled from DCS format to make it in the game during production. Instead of doing all that sound work over from scratch.

#13 7 years ago

Here is a video I made awhile ago with the audio being sent directly to camera.

#14 7 years ago

Also, check that your speakers are not blown.

Plug in a different audio source (boom box) and see if you still hear distortion.

I've seen games where the paper cone has become separated from the surround, and I've seen plenty of holes (or gobs of solder) in the bottom cabinet speaker.

#15 7 years ago

With the original speakers on both my TZ's the sound was crisp and clear. With the Sub it is really amazing.

#16 7 years ago

I'm sure the music is crisp and clear, and some of the samples - but some of them are really low bitrate straight from the factory, and sound crappy. There's even some clipping on the explosion sound during the 'dont touch the door' sequence.

#17 7 years ago

The sound was a little unsatisfying on my TZ when I first got it. An upgrade to FF speakers went a long way in improving it for me. A worthy investment for this machine.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

An upgrade to FF speakers went a long way in improving it for me

If it makes improvement, that is where I am leaning.

Yeah, it sounds a little like the LOTR sound bites. "Rod" is OK. Music ok...all else is scratchy.

Again....I only notice it when someone else is playing. When I am playing, I am totally mesmerized!

#19 7 years ago

I would not go ahead with a speaker mod if the sound is such that you can't make out what Tina is saying when you get extra balls. That should be intelligible (sure the quality isn't that great, but you should be able to hear what she's saying), and if it's not, i'd be concerned that there was a problem with the sound boards/roms/etc.

The last thing you want is to upgrade the speakers, and more clearly hear a glitched voice sample.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

The last thing you want is to upgrade the speakers, and more clearly hear a glitched voice sample.

VALID. Thanks.

I will play around with cables and wires tonight.

I have to move all of my pins to the "new" game room this week so maybe I will wait and check everything after I make the big move....

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I'm sure the music is crisp and clear, and some of the samples - but some of them are really low bitrate straight from the factory, and sound crappy.

I think system11 is right on. Your sound is probably fine, TG. You're just not digging the low bitrate samples. A speaker upgrade will help make the game sound better, but it's not going to magically up the bitrate. What version of the sound ROMs do you have? I believe they may have adjusted the levels on a few things with the L-2 revision.

#22 7 years ago

Good point Gweempose, check the firmware first. If you are up to date on the firmware, then check cable connections, speakers, then PCB.

I realize the sound is not a good as DCS and they had to bring the samples down for TZ, but I have never had any of the specific issues you are sighting T_G. Talking Tina is clear as a bell on the machines I have owned.

#23 7 years ago

The new version for TZ is 9.4H for home use. And btw it's Talky Tina

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

9.4H for home use

I know mine is 9.4. This is an honest question of ignorance...is 9.4H different?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I know mine is 9.4. This is an honest question of ignorance...is 9.4H different?

Yes it is different than the 9.2 roms but not that much in difference between
the two.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Yes it is different than the 9.2 roms but not that much in difference between
the two.

Yes. OK. And hello, Mike. How have you been? Anyway.....is the "H" significant, though?

I have 9.4 but from memory I don't know if it is "H"

Or did you already answer that??

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Yes. OK. And hello, Mike. How have you been? Anyway.....is the "H" significant, though?

I have 9.4 but from memory I don't know if it is "H"

Or did you already answer that?

There are only two types one is 9.4h-home roms and the 9.2-commerical roms
Yours are the home roms.I have been doing good,How have you been TG?

#28 7 years ago

Version 9.4H: Official "home version" release from Williams. This version is "free play only". It will not take money to do pay-for-play.
Version 9.4CH: This is the same as 9.4H, but allows for "coin play" (not free-play only).

Changes from revision 9.2: (Courtesy Williams Electronics Games, Inc.)

Added a new adjustment: "LITZ CHEAT OK". When set to YES, this allows the player to hold in the buy-in button during game play to enable Lost in the Zone. The next shot to the Slot Machine or Piano will start a LITZ "practice round". The player is not able to enter intials for LITZ champ if the cheat has been performed.
Implemented "Mute & Pause" mode. Pressing buy-in Button while holding a flipper will kill music and keep flipper held. Pressing buy-in again will resume regular play. This feature can be disabled by adjustment ("MUTE & PAUSE OK"). The game resumes automatically after 15 minutes.

NOTE: If you are worried about your flipper hold coil getting hot with this feature, then disable it.
Added a magnet ball-catching effect at the beginning of multball. This will catch the balls on the magnets if all of these conditions are in effect:

- 3 magnets installed, and all 3 work
- Adjustment for the effect is ON
- 0 or 1 balls in the lockup
- White ball is in the gumball machine

(Note that the last condition requires that the game has actually seen a white ball loaded since last power up or exit from Test mode, since the location of the white ball is not tracked across initialization.) This effect can be disabled by adjustment ("MB ST. 3 MAG. GRAB").
Added an adjustment that allows white ball detection during multiball ("M.B. P.B. DETECT OK"). With this adjustment turned ON (default) the game behaves as before. With it OFF, then the game can no longer be fooled into thinking the white ball is in play by a quick 1-2 shot into the piano and slot machine. Use of this adjustment is recommended only if all of the proximity sensors are correctly functioning.
Added a preset ("INSTALL #pinball") for home adjustments desired by group of silly Twilight Zone owners.
Fixed a Powerball/Multiball bug where the Powerball was not detected when it was the 2nd ball served from the trough for Multiball start.
Fixed Super Skill Shot bug where a completely missed shot would end the ball and give Super Skill Shot to the next player up.
Added ball search to the ball recycling at the end of Lost in the Zone.
Enhanced the ball-type detection logic on the magnets.
Fixed a bug with Bonus X lamp after Bonus X awarded.
Added/enhanced a few lamp effects.
Improved the grace period logic at the end of Battle the Power timeout.
Added a grace period timer for the end of multiball that indicates the Powerball was in play. This enables Powerball jackpots during the jackpot grace period.
Added code in attract mode to page through the a-mode pages by using a flipper button.

#29 7 years ago

Thanks for the information, Mike!

Quoted from pinmike:

,How have you been TG?

Doing great! 2 weeks vacation..new (to me) TZ and got to be part of the biggest pinball scoop in my life last night with PB22.

Even though I didn't bring home any toys, it was fun to shop with "OPM" for the night!

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

2 weeks vacation..new (to me)

I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation and Congrats!! on TZ.

#31 7 years ago

I got the 9.4H ROM for mine and it was well worth the $7 from pinballlife. The ability to pause the game is VERY handy and I also like that it takes care of a lot of the ghosting issues if you happened to have LEDs in it. It does not eliminate ghosting completely, but it reduces it quite a bit. I'm pretty sure mine has DCS speakers too. I assumed they were stock, but I guess not.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I'm pretty sure mine has DCS speakers too. I assumed they were stock, but I guess not.

I didn't think the DCS systems used different speakers - do they? I thought it was just the electronics driving the speaker (with DCS systems supporting higher bitrates and hence producing better sound).

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I got the 9.4H ROM for mine

I could probably research this but, since we're talking about it, when you're buying updated ROMs do you always get the "highest" number or is there more to it than that?

#34 7 years ago

It depends. If you planned on operating the TZ then you wouldn't want the 9.4H (i.e. home version) ROM because you can only set it to free play. Do the research and figure out what changed between each version and decide if it is right for you. Usually the most recent version is what you want, because it'll hopefully have most of the bugs, scoring inconsistencies, etc. fixed.

#35 7 years ago

TG, did you determine which sound ROMs you are running?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

did you determine which sound ROMs you are running?

Yeah, just got home. 9.4 H

#37 7 years ago

If I'm playing a TZ with the volume up and no other ambient noise, I can definitely hear a background hiss on many of the sound samples, particularly Rod's. However, it's still easy to hear what he's saying. I guess I'm used to it from playing a lot of crappy FMV video games in the early 90s (sewer shark, anyone?)

Speaker technology has come SO far since that game was made, though. Probably even the cheapest set you can find at Best Buy would blow the stock out of the water. But if you want to eliminate the guess work, just get one of the two made-for-pinball upgrade options. Both are a good value if your time is worth money.

1 month later
#38 7 years ago

My biggest complaint with both TZ and TAF is the soundboard, also the the music could of been composed better for both these iconic titles. Is it possible to modify a game with DCS sound? That would be an incredible upgrade for TZ.

#39 7 years ago

I've got a different sound problem. My pin was recently gone over from top to bottom by a very reputable repair guy. He put in a very costly new speaker system. I have the 9.4H game ROM. My pins is awesome . . . except . . . if you try to turn the sound volume up past 10, which at that level is not very loud . . . the sound starts cutting out, especially on the bassier sounding effects.

Anyone have an idea on this. Does this mean I need to buy a new sound ROM?

Pinmike . . . whaddya think?

Mike in Kentucky

#40 7 years ago

I think it's both the quality of the system and the intentional scratchiness of many of the samples to capture the tone of the show as you said. Both things are true about my game, but all speech is understandable. Good luck figuring it out. I had a twister with a sound problem that drove me nuts. Although i cannot remember exactly what it was, it was one of he connections on the cabinet speaker that seemed so obvious that i never considered it.

#41 7 years ago

Doesn't TZ have different sound roms besides the game rom?

http://www.actionpinball.com/roms.htm

Though I can't imagine any of them produce "scratching". My machine sounds just like Turbo's video above.

#42 7 years ago

I've never played TZ. This video is the first time I've really had the chance to hear the sounds, and man... that music is awful. Not what I expected at all.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I've got a different sound problem. My pin was recently gone over from top to bottom by a very reputable repair guy. He put in a very costly new speaker system. I have the 9.4H game ROM. My pins is awesome . . . except . . . if you try to turn the sound volume up past 10, which at that level is not very loud . . . the sound starts cutting out, especially on the bassier sounding effects.

Anyone have an idea on this. Does this mean I need to buy a new sound ROM?

Pinmike . . . whaddya think?

Mike in Kentucky

Hi Mike,What kind of speaker system did he install?There's only certain kinds of speakers you can put in.

#44 7 years ago

If that was the audio straight from the boards they sound fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside