• 27 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by irobot
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2018-02-21 20_18_07-Twilight Zone shutting down - repaired _ Pinside Forum - Internet Explorer (resized).png
TZ25 (resized).jpg
TZ26 (resized).jpg
TZ14 (resized).jpg
TZ failure 2 (resized).JPG
TZ box failure (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gregcon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have a TZ that I bought about half a year ago but never used. I finally got it 'installed' in the house and powered up, only to have an intermittent issue with the machine going dead then going back to the 'start screen'. This would happen with no relation to flipper use or other action but it was happening a lot....it was hard to play a full 3 ball game without a drop-out.

I looked online for guidance and checked various items but found nothing wrong. I even powered the machine off a CVT to try to eliminate any voltage supply issues.

Finally, I looked in the 'power box' where the On/Off switch is located. I was surprised and pleased to see a lot of smoke residue and the varistor that goes between the legs of the EMI filter was split open. The thermistor was also not-too-great looking. I went ahead and replaced the EMI filter and the varistor and thermistor and the machine is working great.

I'm posting this in case it helps someone else....why didn't I check the power box to start with? This machine is 'minty' - home use only since new and clean enough to eat off .... from looking at the outside of the box you'd never guess the inside was so smoky. So much for outward appearances!

TZ box failure (resized).JPGTZ box failure (resized).JPG

TZ failure 2 (resized).JPGTZ failure 2 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Yes, I also thought the fuse would blow but it didn't.

But...today it shut down again (once) and that seems to go along with the left flipper staying up so I am thinking the problem might be coming back. Gotta do more research...maybe the flipper staying up is the cause or the effect?

#5 6 years ago

I'll check the diodes next week.

I should add the left flipper stays up but it will also come down after you re-tap the button. And it will usually not stay up 'forever' but rather for 3 or seconds.

The power board is a Rotten Dog board and I assume it's good but haven't dug into it. Is that what you mean by power supply? Or do you mean the transformer?

#6 6 years ago

I replaced the diodes on the flipper coil....so far the flipper has not stayed up but the reset/shut downs continue. Dang.

#8 6 years ago

I'm in Cypress near 290 and Fry Rd. I just might need help yet, thanks!

#10 6 years ago

Will do, thanks. The problem with this machine is it looks 'nearly new' and nothing jumps out as looking discolored or overheated.

#14 6 years ago

I'll check the voltage tomorrow when I get time. I'm 99% sure the flipper sticking is electrical as it is glass smooth when I manually swing it through its arc. Not the slightest bit of sticking or friction.

My input voltage to the machine is plenty high....the CVT is putting out over 120v always, usually around 122v. Even if I plug the machine directly into the wall the voltage is at least 120v.

#16 6 years ago

I did not check the voltage yet but I did check/reseat the pin connectors as above. The RottenDog board is dated Oct 2014 and looks brand new. Even the other original boards look brand new. In any case, when I restarted the machine it did the usual reset one time almost immediately but since then I've played about 15 games with no reset and no flipper sticking up. So at least for now it looks positive. I'm not counting my chickens yet but it's promising. Thanks to everyone for the help!

This game is one that was advertised on this board last year...it's been well cared for and has a lot of upgrades including a color DMD, Invisiglass and RottenDog main board. It probably has some other upgrades I'm not aware of, too.

TZ14 (resized).jpgTZ14 (resized).jpg

TZ26 (resized).jpgTZ26 (resized).jpg

TZ25 (resized).jpgTZ25 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#18 6 years ago

Thanks, I have changed the batteries out to lithium type.

As an update...the machine seems to work well in stretches which are punctuated by resets. But, I have now run about 4 days without a reset and I think I have narrowed the issue down to the Z connector. I think. The last time I went into it, I pulled the connector apart on both sides and re-seated the pins. Since I did nothing else, and the game has been working well, I am assuming and hoping that was "it". Time will tell. I'm tempted to cut it out entirely and replace it with a Weatherpack type connector since those are available in 6 pin configuration. But for now I will try to keep the machine 'stock'.

3 weeks later
#20 6 years ago

Thanks. I continue to have flipper sticking issues on the lower right which I am confident are related to the rest issue. And I'm fairly confident that it is the Z connector. I'm going to replace it then see if it helped.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
$ 29.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 49.99
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gregcon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-shutting-down-repaired?tu=gregcon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.