New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 179023)

Twilight zone shutdown when hitting both flippers

By Artdaddi

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DeathHimself
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I keep having this returning problem on my TZ machine. It will shut off when I hit both flippers at the same time then reboot and start back up like a new game. Any thoughts its really annoying when it does it right in the middle of a great game

#2 3 years ago

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Read it. Follow the steps one by one. You'll be able to diagnose it.

Marc

#3 3 years ago

Learn it, know it, live it

#4 3 years ago

My TZ was resetting. I purchased a $30 daughter board from Rob Kahr. Haven't experienced a rested in over a year.

#5 3 years ago

Interesting, my brother is so fed up with his TZ because of this issue. During the holidays he wanted to trade straight up for my Mustang pro. Neither of us thinks is a fair deal. He thinks I'm getting screwed and I think he is. I'm selling the mustang and going from there.

#6 3 years ago

Go through that step by step guide on Pinwiki. It helped me solve issues with two of my three WPC games. It's an excellent guide!

#7 3 years ago

It's the two red power wires on the big board on the far right... re-solder it, check your connections, and it will fix it. My WCS94' had the same problem a few days ago. The only way to eliminate it 100% is to buy the daughter board mentioned above for $30.

Best of Luck.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJer:

It's the two red power wires on the big board on the far right... re-solder it, check your connections, and it will fix it. My WCS94' had the same problem a few days ago. The only way to eliminate it 100% is to buy the daughter board mentioned above for $30.
Best of Luck.

Not true at all. There are reset issues that the board will not fix. Your best bet is to follow the pinwiki guide.

#10 3 years ago

Same here, reset a few connectors as per Pinwiki see if it does it. Only then get the daughterboard and be done with it.

#11 3 years ago

Not sure what's listed first in the wiki, but I would reseat that "Z" connector in the harness for logic power. Follow the gray/black wires from the WPC board over to the right a few inches.

#12 3 years ago

First, make sure the driver board is screwed down tight on all screws. I worked on a TZ last night on location and found all the screws to the board were completely loose. Played over 4 hours fine after that before I had left.

If that is ok, then reseat J101, J102, J114 on the driver board and the J210 on the MPU board. This helped?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJer:

The only way to eliminate it 100% is to buy the daughter board mentioned above for $30.

Its also possible to eliminate it 100% by fixing the problem that is causing the restart.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

First, make sure the driver board is screwed down tight on all screws. I worked on a TZ last night on location and found all the screws to the board were completely loose. Played over 4 hours fine after that before I had left.
If that is ok, then reseat J101, J102, J114 on the driver board and the J210 on the MPU board. This helped?

I would unplug and reseat one at a time, restart the game, see if it resets and if it does, move to the next connector. This will help isolate the issue.

#15 3 years ago

I learned quickly (and you will learn) that this is one of the most common issues WPC games face. Follow the pinwiki link many have presented. Most importantly, approach it from 'least invasive' to 'more invasive' as you troubleshoot.

When I was new, I started this exact same thread. Many people were recommending changing caps, soldering, or sending out the power driver board for repair. It turned out I just needed to reseat the ribbon cable to the CPU.

Good luck.

#16 3 years ago

I actually just got around to fixing my Addams Family that was having this issue. I have a kahr daughter board which is good if you need the game running right away but I wanted to finally diagnosed and repaired the issue with mine. Turns out 3 of the diodes on the flipper coils were broken off on one side. I tested and soldered them back on but was still getting resets within the first few minutes of boot up. And just like what pinwiki says it was also a bad thermistor in the power box. So 2 issues that cause resets both fixed.

The only down side is I just placed a Great Plains electronics order a week ago. Now I need to order a thermistor.

#17 3 years ago

It can be a ribbon issue as some indicated but more often then not it's due to aging components that weaken over time and causes a voltage drop to the cpu. You have to remember a lot of these machines sat on routes and were on 12-16 hours a day and then with actual bulbs in them vs LEDs causing heat build up and heat is a components worst enemy. Now you can do as some suggested and get a daughter board which basically allows a constant set voltage to the cpu board and prevent the drop which causes the cpu to reset or you can have the driver board redone with new components which would be just as good. These machines no longer sit on routes and in our homes you rarely will see it again after repair.

#18 3 years ago

Let me also add that you might be getting over the 5v limit as well which would cause resetting issues in which case it can be a bad regulator. Check your voltage at the 5v TP.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside