• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
DSC00487 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

My twilight zone shooter lane diverter appears to stick in the “straight up” position.

It will fall back into place after the flippers flip, or I shake the machine, or a ball hits it etc.

When I touch it when it is in this stuck position, it feels like there might possibly be a slight electrical hold on it.

Is this common ? Is there a spring I should shorten ? Is there an electrical problem that is not releasing the “hold” ?

#2 6 years ago

See if it's sticking on the metal part over the shooter rod. There is an upside down "U" shape cut out that the shooter rods goes through, that metal piece separate from the apron, if bent down or in, it can catch the diverter thingy right at the hole.

Look back in there with a flashlight and see if it's catching.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

The red arrow points to where it can stick.

DSC00487 (resized).JPGDSC00487 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

It works nice and smooth with no binding with power off. It works fine in test.

Maybe it’s just doing what it is supposed to do ?

#5 6 years ago

Next time it sticks, turn the machine off (gently). If it stays stuck, you have a mechanical issue. Probably just needs a cleaning and new coil sleeve.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

and new coil sleeve.

It's a relay set up, no coil sleeve.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from MichaelMullen:

Maybe it’s just doing what it is supposed to do ?

Probably, waiting to get a ball to load into the gumball machine.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It's a relay set up, no coil sleeve.

Thank you! I keep learning from Lloyd.

2 weeks later
#9 6 years ago

Is there some kind of a low voltage hold or something like that ? Or is it only full open or full closed ?

When I gently turn the game off, the gate still sticks. But it doesn’t seem mechanical. It really looks like the coil is magnetically holding it.

Another question. When you load the balls, and the machine shoots each of the 3 balls into the gumball machine, should the gate close and open between balls, or just stay open the whole time ?

#10 6 years ago

When I gently turn the game off, the gate still sticks. But it doesn’t seem mechanical.

Without power and sticking, is mechanical.

Take the apron off and try it. Then you'll know if it's sticking where I posted.

#11 6 years ago

When you load the balls, and the machine shoots each of the 3 balls into the gumball machine, should the gate close and open between balls, or just stay open the whole time ?

On this question -
The gate should open, ball ejected into autofire kicker, gate closes. Gate reopens, then the gumball diverter and autofire ki kernel fire at just about the same time, then shooter gate closes.

Repeat as needed.

#12 6 years ago

When I touch the stuck gate with my hand, it really feels electrical, even though it also stick with the power off. It runs perfectly smooth by hand with no binding. I also gave everything an adjustment and cleaning. It only gets stuck when there is some kind of current introduced.

I am going to replace the coil and see what happens. I think that coil also has a relay it, so it’s not just a simple coil.

Next step after that I will check the transistor associated with it. Does anyone know what transistor it is off hand ?

#13 6 years ago

When I touch the stuck gate with my hand, it really feels electrical, even though it also stick with the power off. It runs perfectly smooth by hand with no binding. I also gave everything an adjustment and cleaning. It only gets stuck when there is some kind of current introduced.
I am going to replace the coil and see what happens. I think that coil also has a relay it, so it’s not just a simple coil.
Next step after that I will check the transistor associated with it. Does anyone know what transistor it is off hand ?

Did you replace the coil?
If not:
Replace the coil, and replace the whole armature assembly (http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=A-11516). Likely it was bent or is magnetized, keeping it locked after power is dropped.

4 years later
#14 1 year ago

Ok. My diverter works right when it needs to load the ball into the manual plunger.When the ball needs to go in the auto launcher . The diverter doesn’t stick straight upward more like 11 o’clock position and the ball kind a hits it slowing the launch. Also I guess it goes without saying that that rubber post needs to be removed upstream the launch lane right?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
$ 79.50
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 9.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-shooter-lane-diverter-sticks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.