Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2021-04-04 112943 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hi chaps,
turned on TZ today after changing batteries as usual. Came on, started to set usual settings for free play etc, then smelt something burning. Then a fault appeared on the DMD saying check fuse F115, F116 and J112 and Opto supply.

Checked fuses and sure enough F116 was blown. Checked around for the source of smell but couldn't trace it to one area. So disconnected entire board and replaced fuse. Then, worked my way replacing connectors and then rechecking fuse. Narrowed it down to connector J116 on power driver board down to J2 (4&5) with black and grey/yellow wire for 12V feeding the coin door interface board. Looked for obvious issues there, found none. Unplugged board and then tested voltage down Grey/yellow and for the same as the power board of 14.4V. Plugged back into coin door board and left test meter connected. turned off machine, tried one connector, then off, then next, this time it didn't blow the fuse. So I'm guessing that what ever was going wrong has either magically fixed itself - which would seem rather unlikely - or much more obvious, what ever was burning out and popping the fuse had now completely gone home, so not popping fuse any more. Put machine back together to investigate further and now get the following issues.

Turn on machine and immediately get display saying - Ground Short Row 1 is Stuck Closed

Press menu to see other faults and get -

Ground Short Row 1 White/Brown R1

Ground Short Row 3 White/Orange R3

Ground Short Row 4 White/Yellow R4

Ground Short Row 6 White/Blue R6

Clock Broken

Ball Popper Opto Is Stuck

As a point of reference, I don't know what Row 1 etc refers to, so have no idea what to check from here, so any of you more clued up people who would like to point out to me the error of my ways I would deeply appreciate it. Seems odd that clock is all of a sudden broken, but I need to know what the rows mean before I start stripping further.

Ahhhh, the joys of pinball.

Cheers all.

#2 3 years ago

Turn off the game, disconnect j208, j209 and j212 from the CPU board and turn it on again. Are the errors still present? If so, the CPU board was damaged and will need to have U20 checked.

What tools do you have? Multimeter? Logic probe?

You said j116 was the culprit, and it seems it damaged the CPU board. It sounds like something shorted when you accessed the batteries.. I would also unplug j116, j117 and j118 when testing the CPU board, just in case.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Muppet_Man:

As a point of reference, I don't know what Row 1 etc refers to, so have no idea what to check from here, so any of you more clued up people who would like to point out to me the error of my ways I would deeply appreciate it. Seems odd that clock is all of a sudden broken, but I need to know what the rows mean before I start stripping further.
Ahhhh, the joys of pinball.
Cheers all.

This is what they're referring to, which may indicate a transistor being fried and open/closed... so if you know what you're in for, I'd trace the connector for J205 Pin 1 and see if there are any transistors, or chips that are bulging / broken burnt/.....

Screenshot 2021-04-04 112943 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-04-04 112943 (resized).png

1 week later
#4 3 years ago

I just had an entire matrix fault with some of the same issues and it was traced back to the opto board under the PF...replaced the entire board and I’m back in business. I had no optos working, clock not working, and about 5 rows that were out

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-row-1-issue?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.