• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Alright this one has me stumped. I want to know why or what is causing my issue

PROBLEM:

Twilight Zone resets only during power ball multiball. When I get the powerball into the gumball machine and multiball starts the game resets as soon as I hit a flipper.

It does not reset during the other mulitballs or during any other point in the game. I went through it and also noticed that in test and when I empty balls the gumball may or may not empty.

Question is what could cause this. Is it the ribbon cable from the power driver board? I do not think it is the gumball machine motor or anything else as it works perfect in game.

Being that it is powerball only it seems something is being overloaded somewhere causing the reset.

#2 11 years ago

What's unique in this mode is that the flipper buttons activate both flippers and the upper pf magnets. All other times, the flippers activate either two flippers or a magnet. There is a setting for low power mode in the settings. This causes the two upper flippers to be dead during this mode so that you only activate one lower flipper and one magnet with each flipper button press. My first suggestion is to try setting that and see if you can still reproduce. The mode has a lot of power draw and I believe that toggle in options exists due to this reason in some cases.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks

The next question or issue I seem to be having is if I go into test and press empty balls that the gumball machine does not empty the balls and they only empty from the trough.

I replaced the connector to the power driver and it seems to be acting a little better though now the gumball does not empty balls in test. Is this normal?

I'm thinking that somehow these problems are related in that the gumball somehow. It works during the game 100 percent though I thought it should empty balls. Or does it only empty the balls when none are in the trough or on the shooter lane switch

#4 11 years ago

Hmm. This sounds like an odd one to me. I'm not sure how they could be related. Did you try the lower power software setting and see if the reset goes away or not?

As for the emptying the gumballs, that is odd. Mine runs the gumball machine and empties them all. But if it's really working well in game I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it. I'm running software 9.4 home. Which version are you running? What does gumball test do?

#5 11 years ago

TZ resetting problems are often due to board problems. Problem is there are so many boards on a TZ. Although it could be a switch matrix problem and a bad transistor, I had a reset problem that required an IC replacement on the CPU board. If you get extra cash try to obtain an extra set of boards for each type of game you have. Then you can swap boards to identify problems and send the problem board out and still play the game.

Good Luck

#6 11 years ago

Thanks

I will try to get it to reset again. Since I cannot empty the gumball it takes more time to recreate the problem.

Since I switched ribbon cables I get the gumball issue and the game did not reset. Will try again and and possible swap my board out. Problem is if it works with the swapped board I have no idea how to fix the "bad" board as every part in the board is going to have normal readings with a multimeter.

#7 11 years ago

I think I need to swap boards and see if the gumball machine then empties balls

5 years later
#8 5 years ago

Hi guys,

I know this post is old, but im having reset issues during powerball mode multiball. Specifically when i get the ball into the battle the power during the multiball. It will reset almost as soon as it goes into the battle. I'm assuming its drawing too much power when the magnets are being activated and causing my reset. Any idea where to start on this issue?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from spikedbat:

Any idea where to start on this issue?

Reset check list :

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-reset-only-in-powerball-multiball-mode-problem-need-help?hl=spikedbat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.