• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Matt1724
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hello everyone

Last week I bought a Twilight Zone and we’ve been playing it regularly with no problems. Today, I come down to a bunch of errors relating to the mini playfield, so I open the manual and see it’s controlled by the high power driver “A-16116”. I opened the pin and that board appears discolored “black powder’sh” on the top and bottom.

After cleaning the board and inspecting it and I didn’t see anything wrong physically (no I don’t have a DMM yet, but I will soon). I plug the board in and was shocked when I didn’t receive the errors and the mini playfield passed the tests. Hooray…(I thought)

So I get ready to play again and missed the skill shot and down the shoot the ball goes and that’s where it stayed.

Evidently Solenoids 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8 are down while solenoids 4 and 7 work normally. These are most of the kickers and poppers which explains why the ball stayed down. They’re all powered by the Power Driver Board connected at J130 (1-9). No fuses are blown, so I can’t figure out why solenoid 4 (popper) and 8 (knocker) would work, while the others are dead and also why the machine is passing all tests at startup.

I know black’sh powder on any board is not a good sign which leads me right back to the “high power Driver at A-16116 but I can’t understand why the mini playfield works if that’s the case and why I’m not receiving errors.

Can someone with a Twilight Zone manual look at pages 3-14 and 3-15 and confirm or deny that Solenoids 1-8 are controlled by board A-16116 before I send this out for repair please.

This is my first pin and thus my first attempt of tech support and repair on a pin….so be kind…

Matt

#2 11 years ago

I just read a article about flipper dust and that it conductive and could cause a short, seeing that this board is within a few inches of the flipper maybe that was the black residue i whipped off the board and the flipper dust caused a short initially. Cleaning the board explains why the mini-playfield started working again but not the loss of solenoids.

#4 11 years ago

I checked the fuses and they all appear ok, but I agree with you and will change them anyway. Dumb question but is there a difference between the fuses sold online that say "pinball use only" compared to the ones I can pick up at local radio shack?

#5 11 years ago

Don't just replace them. Get a meter and check them.

In particular check F105, F104, F103 and F112. ( F105 is likely your bad one )

No such thing as pinball only, these are slow blow fuses and get the right AMP rating.

LTG

#6 11 years ago

+1 on checking with a dmm, Often times a visual check is not enough and even if a fuse looks ok it could be blown.

#7 11 years ago

I've got the DMM now, and I'm ready to check some fuses when I get home.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt1724:

Hello everyone
Last week I bought a Twilight Zone and we’ve been playing it regularly with no problems. Today, I come down to a bunch of errors relating to the mini playfield, so I open the manual and see it’s controlled by the high power driver “A-16116”. I opened the pin and that board appears discolored “black powder’sh” on the top and bottom.
After cleaning the board and inspecting it and I didn’t see anything wrong physically (no I don’t have a DMM yet, but I will soon). I plug the board in and was shocked when I didn’t receive the errors and the mini playfield passed the tests. Hooray…(I thought)
So I get ready to play again and missed the skill shot and down the shoot the ball goes and that’s where it stayed.
Evidently Solenoids 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8 are down while solenoids 4 and 7 work normally. These are most of the kickers and poppers which explains why the ball stayed down. They’re all powered by the Power Driver Board connected at J130 (1-9). No fuses are blown, so I can’t figure out why solenoid 4 (popper) and 8 (knocker) would work, while the others are dead and also why the machine is passing all tests at startup.
I know black’sh powder on any board is not a good sign which leads me right back to the “high power Driver at A-16116 but I can’t understand why the mini playfield works if that’s the case and why I’m not receiving errors.
Can someone with a Twilight Zone manual look at pages 3-14 and 3-15 and confirm or deny that Solenoids 1-8 are controlled by board A-16116 before I send this out for repair please.
This is my first pin and thus my first attempt of tech support and repair on a pin….so be kind…
Matt

You're saying 4 and 7 work? If F105 was bad, 4 and 7 wouldn't be working. So it's not the fuse.

Inspect J130 (9pin connector) and the cable on the power driver board. Burnt, cracks or cold solder on the pins. Also, J107 pin3 (violet-yellow) it feeds 50v. Same thing, burnt, cracks or cold solder on the pins. They all feed those coils.

Also what did you clean that board with? Compressed air I hope?

#9 11 years ago

Confirmed with the DMM that the volts were good, checked for burned connectors and bad pins and replaced all fuses anyway. Then, I started retracing and gently tugging the wires of all the effected solenoids and sure enough one popped off with the slightest tug (01 slot kickout).... I soldered it this afternoon and that was it...just a wire hanging on thread causing me all this grief.

Thanks you all the help and suggestions.

If you have any advice for what a first time pin owner should do for routine maintenance on a street rescued pin, I’m all ears. I’m going to change the batteries now as I don’t know how old they are.

Thank again,

Matt

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt1724:

Confirmed with the DMM that the volts were good, checked for burned connectors and bad pins and replaced all fuses anyway. Then, I started retracing and gently tugging the wires of all the effected solenoids and sure enough one popped off with the slightest tug (01 slot kickout).... I soldered it this afternoon and that was it...just a wire hanging on thread causing me all this grief.
If you have any advice for what a first time pin owner should do for routine maintenance on a street rescued pin, I’m all ears. I’m going to change the batteries now as I don’t know how old they are.
Thank again,
Matt

Nice, I'm looking at page 3-6 of the manual and retracing it. Good catch.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt1724:

Thank again,
Matt

First tip...don't replace the batteries...move them off board by using a remote battery holder, like this one...http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1783&parent=228

Or, you can roll your own.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#12 11 years ago

Thanks, I'll get the remote battery holder ordered. Seems like an easy solution to avoid a bigger problems

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 132.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-repair-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.