• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jalpert
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

I'm hoping somebody can steer me in the right direction:

My Twilight Zone had acid damage a couple of years ago under the batteries. after cleaning the corrosion it all came good, but recently started to auto fire the balls at game start up (same as last time).

I found some new corrosion and cleaned it off, but made the mistake of removing the batteries with the power off, so when I turned it back on, it reverted to factory settings.

No problem, I reset the machine to free play, and it seemed to work fine, but volume too high, so I went back to adjustments, and the machine seems to have frozen up. Now it just says check fuses 114 and 115 on start up, and all buttons (enter, +, -, are inactive). I've powered down and remove the batteries, restarted - get the factory settings message, but then it goes back to "check fuses 114 and 115" and wont do anything else.

I'm hoping there is a simple solution to this. anybody have an idea?

#2 13 years ago

Did you already replace the fuses? Did you find all the corrosion?

Sounds like a bad transistor or short on the board that blew the fuses.

#3 13 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I found some more acid damage and fuse 114 was blown. I removed the Battery holder to clean it up properly and coated the board with PCB lacquer to prevent further corrosion. Machine is back to 100% now, but I've only changed to 5 ball, free play and volume level from the factory settings.

Does anybody recommend any other changes to factory settings?

#4 13 years ago

Glad it is working again.

#5 13 years ago

Bad news for me. My original syptoms from 2 years ago have returned - "Clock is Broken" on startup, and machine can't find balls, causing it to empty the gumball machine and have too many balls in the outhole and continually try to push the extra ball to the ball release, but it just rolls back as this is already full. This was originally fixed by cleaning up the acid damage on the CPU board, but this method does not work now. I guess there is track damage under an IC or somewhere I can't see it.

Is there a reliable repairer I can send my board to for repair or exchange?

#6 13 years ago

If the damage is this widespread you might as well just pick up a rottendog repro WPC board. Drops right in, has remote battery holder included so acid damage is a thing of the past. Put one in my Judge Dredd, works great. Picked mine up from mad amusements.

#7 13 years ago

A lot of the problems you are describing sound like they are related to opto's. I would recommend doing a checkup of your opto's circuits and see if anything is shorting out. A common source of opto trouble is the clock, so try disconnecting that first.

1 month later
#8 12 years ago

I purchased a Rottendog CPU board from AD amusements, plugged in and works 100%

Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions

#9 12 years ago

Kind of a shame to spend so much money on something that could have probably been fixed for a few bucks....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 132.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.