New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 270486)

Twilight Zone Pre-DCS Sound Sounding Tinny - RESOLVED

By mbelofsky

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by mbelofsky
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6255 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 months ago

On a TZ, after a few minutes of playing, the sounds with voice started getting garbled as shown in the first video. Sounds 14 - 21 have voice. But only 15 to 21 are garbled. Maybe this implied that the second ROM chip was bad. I sent the board for repair so it could be bench tested to ensure it would work. The repair person replaced all 3 ROM chips and changed out some capacitors.

The repair person tested the board for 10 hours using an MPU board I also sent for repair. He tested for 10 hours in test mode and it worked fine.

I received the board and tested in test mode for an hour and it worked fine.

The next day I went to play a game. As the last ball drained, I heard a pop sound and the sound became tinney as shown on the video below.

I ensured all chips are seated correctly. I ensured all ribbon cables and other connectors were in place. I replaced the ribbon cable between the MPU, Fliptronics, Sound, and display. I took each speaker out of the circuit one at a time. I removed the ribbon cable from the fliptronics board. I moved the ribbon cable from the display. I put the ribbon cable back and removed power to the fliptronics and then power to the display. I was using a different MPU so I put in the one that I sent in for repair so I was using the same MPU as he did.

The repair person is supposed to send another board to do a sanity check,

I did buy new Flipper Fidelity speakers but assume they will not make a difference until I solve the problem.

I have viewed all other Pre-DCS sound issues on pinside, I looked at the pinwiki and Clay's guides. I am not sure what to try next.

#2 4 months ago

Sounds like a speaker is blown, or maybe the cutoff cap might be bad on the tweeter. This is with the new speakers installed or still the originals?

It could be the amp - amps usually need + and - DC voltage, it sounds like it's losing the - I had that happen with a game and it turns out the -20v was missing.

See if the amplifier is excessively hot.

#3 4 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Sounds like a speaker is blown, or maybe the cutoff cap might be bad on the tweeter. This is with the new speakers installed or still the originals?
It could be the amp - amps usually need + and - DC voltage, it sounds like it's losing the - I had that happen with a game and it turns out the -20v was missing.
See if the amplifier is excessively hot.

Thanks. I have not replaced the speakers. But I could try it later today. I didn't check the cap on the tweeter (I assume this is the smaller speaker on the right side). I did remove the wire to each speaker and that did not help.

I did check the voltages coming in and they looked ok.

The LM1875 (amp) at U1 is not very very hot.

--

Also, if a speaker was blown, why would it work in test mode for an hour one day and during the game until draining at the very end? I would assume it would have had sound issues from the moment I placed the board into the game?

1 week later
#4 4 months ago

There are not many posts that actually provide a resolution to any sound problem. I finally figured out the problem. Thanks to Joe at CST and Mike at Flipper Fidelity.

Joe was nice to send me a second board to test. The board sounded much better but was intermittent on every sound in sound test.

I bought a Flipper Fidelity Pre-DCS system to test if it were the speakers. I held off installing until I determined it was not the board.

As I was following the instructions to remove the back box speakers, I removed the small right speaker. I then was removing the wire that goes across the display and it was stuck under the display at the left side.

As part of the repairs, I replaced the DMD with a ColorDMD LCD. I obviously got the wire wedged in under the Color DMD when I replaced it. The picture below shows the flat spot of the wire where the wire was actually exposed through the insulation.

I covered the insulation with electrical tape and put back the right speaker and the connector and the single wire.

It has been testing great for the past 30 minutes.

I will still install the speakers, but another example of a self-inflicted wound.

IMG_6255 (resized).jpeg

#5 4 months ago

Thanks for posting the resolution. These are the kind of problems that drive board techs crazy.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#6 4 months ago

That can happen easily, I always route my speaker cables carefully around the colordmds. They can easily slip underneath if you don’t watch what you are doing.
Glad you fixed it.

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

That can happen easily, I always route my speaker cables carefully around the colordmds. They can easily slip underneath if you don’t watch what you are doing.
Glad you fixed it.

Yes. I will never do that again. I change to color dmd all the time and will now ensure all wires are out of the way. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
$ 88.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 16.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cherry Hill, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 109.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 3.50
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside