You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201005_073730 (resized).jpg
20201005_073724 (resized).jpg
20201005_073803 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McPin54.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I know there is a lot of information on this out there but I am unable to nail this one down.

First, I believe both sensors are working. The trough sensor shows both LEDs lite when there is a steel ball in front of is. When the power ball is in front of it only one red LED shows. Im guessing this is showing me that its working. Game doesnt acknowledge the power ball once it's in the shooter lane.

The subway led comes on when a steel ball rolls over it. Im assuming this is correct in identifying a steel ball. Then the led stays off in the trough when the Power ball rolls through.

My questions:

From what I'm seeing above..... Does that seem correct?
The error I am getting is gumball diverter malfunction. It works fine. Where do I start in solving my issue?

Thank you in advance.

#2 3 years ago

When I put game into switch test mode, both trough switches work (Camera and Piano). When I use a steel ball the proxy sensor works and the trough works just before the Proxy. This makes no sense. Why would the game not recognize the that the power ball came through? Really scratching my head on this one.

Any and all help is much appreciated

#3 3 years ago

I gota believe this is a logic problem. All switches before and after proxy good. Proxys also good.. Does anyone know what I need to check on the MPU?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Your game doesn't know what a diverter is. What is does know is that a switch before it or after it isn't being triggered. So it thinks the diverter isn't diverting.
LTG : )

LTG. Thank you for responding

Diverter functions properly

#7 3 years ago

FIXED!

OK, Here is what I did. Popped out game rom. Reflowed solder on socket. Popped rom back in and everything works now.

Crazy

#8 3 years ago

Ok......
Played about 6 or 7 games and back to the same problem. I gota think this is a chip/rom issue. Maybe I'll try and burn a new rom.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

No. The problem is either because of battery corrosion/an opto sensor/wiring/switch matrix issue.
Start with posting a picture of your MPU board so we can look for battery corrosion.
Other potential is if the problem is not detecting the powerball only at the trough as it kicks out to the shooter lane, that would mean you probably need to adjust how close the sensor is to the ball, but not too close that the balls are not slamming into the sensor. Or the wiring connection to the board is another high failure spot.
[quoted image]

All sensors and switches check out in switch matrix. Shows working 100% ill getbsomempics of MPU. Even though this has recently been added to my collection I cant recall any acid damage. I NVRAM'd the MPU already

Thank you for responding

#12 3 years ago
20201005_073724 (resized).jpg20201005_073724 (resized).jpg20201005_073730 (resized).jpg20201005_073730 (resized).jpg20201005_073803 (resized).jpg20201005_073803 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#14 3 years ago

So I was finally able to get back to this....

I have confirmed it is on the MPU. I swapped two different MPU's and they both worked. Powerball is detected.

I am now try to chase down which component is the problem on the original MPU. Does anyone have any idea? Again, everything works in the switch test, it just just recognize power ball during play. Works perfect except does not recognize power ball with original mpu

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Problem is only at the trough going to the shooter lane? Detects it fine exiting the gumball machine and at the slot machine kickout?

Yes. Both sensors work 100%. I can play multiple games with different mpu and zero issues.. Original mpu and the brain doesn't do what the switch matrix sees. Very odd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 14.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 12.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McPin54.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-power-ball-detection?tu=McPin54 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.