Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG-20130510-00300-534.jpg
WIN_20140104_123158.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Ok. Since I see TZ pop bumper caps in the wrong order all the time, I'm adding this tread so you all can correct them.
The lighting caps correspond to the skill shot. Make the lower skill shot [red] it lights the upper left pop bumper [RED]. Middle skill shot [orange] lights both the upper left AND upper right which is ORANGE. Top skill shot is yellow which lights all of them so yellow would be on the bottom.

Yes, I know the flyer is wrong. Yes, I know TZ shipped with with some dumb amber cap, but IMHO, they should be red, orange and yellow corresponding with the skill shot artwork.

/off soapbox

Just drives me batsh!t crazy is all.

#2 10 years ago

I know I know i know. Mine came wrong from the previous owner and there are the colored skirts installed so no easy change. When I do the next big shop out I'll change 'em back. The artwork on the mini-playfield also indicate the correct order confirmed by the skill shot/lighting pattern.

#3 10 years ago

some did come with amber. I've seen factory early TZ, the red and amber/orange caps were damn close in color it was almost hard to tell them apart.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

some did come with amber. I've seen factory early TZ, the red and amber/orange caps were damn close in color it was almost hard to tell them apart.

Some of the real early ones had a grapefruit colored cap too.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

That's the way mine are.

#6 10 years ago

Just finished swapping mine for the correct color/order a few weeks back.
I never noticed the relation to the skill shot until I got the correct color order installed.
Thanks to the OP - I don't feel so obsessive compulsive now.
The project appears daunting at first with having to cut the band or ribbon style conductor for the lamp sockets.
If you're strategic about where you cut the conductor, it will quickly and simply overlap for re-soldering. One of the simplest mods to perform in my opinion.
Also, I re-installed the incandescent bulbs into the bumpers. The LEDs were just too blinding.

#7 10 years ago

added to favorites! thanks for the post op...

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Fanatic:

Just finished swapping mine for the correct color/order a few weeks back.
I never noticed the relation to the skill shot until I got the correct color order installed.
Thanks to the OP - I don't feel so obsessive compulsive now.
The project appears daunting at first with having to cut the band or ribbon style conductor for the lamp sockets.
If you're strategic about where you cut the conductor, it will quickly and simply overlap for re-soldering. One of the simplest mods to perform in my opinion.
Also, I re-installed the incandescent bulbs into the bumpers. The LEDs were just too blinding.

That's a lot of work for changing 3 pop bumper caps.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

For some of us, having them out of order is maddening. TZ uses the order specifically, so to have the game say "orange is lit" but in fact the yellow is lit just won't do.

#10 10 years ago

I'm glad you all were receptive to my OCD. I had my flame suit on but was fully prepared to defend myself with logic and facts.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

For some of us, having them out of order is maddening. TZ uses the order spboughtcifically, so to have the game say "oraswitchedis lit" but in fact the yellow is lit just won't do.

The more I thought about it made me think I need to switch my out. Luckily I had a bunch of pop caps I bought from Terry at the mgc last year. So i switched them out to the right order.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

The more I thought about it made me think I need to switch my out. Luckily I had a bunch of pop caps I bought from Terry at the mgc last year. So i switched them out to the right order.

Unfortunately for me it is not that easy since my bodies are colored as well.

WIN_20140104_123158.JPGWIN_20140104_123158.JPG
#13 10 years ago

^^^Time to do a popbumper rebuild, Vid has a nice instruction thread for it

Do it !!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

^^^Time to do a popbumper rebuild, Vid has a nice instruction thread for it
Do it !!

They were freshly rebuilt.... but when it is time to shop this pin I will do it again anyway. I agree that vid's thread is great.

#15 10 years ago

To further back up the claim to the corresponding colors to the skill shot, that same clockwise pattern of red-orange-yellow is reflected on the mini playfield in the lightning bolts.

People mess up at the factory and just slap on caps. PL didn't mess up the playfields.

#16 10 years ago

Redoing the pops isnt too bad, just a pain to re do the wiring sometimes....

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Unfortunately for me it is not that easy since my bodies are colored as well.

WIN_20140104_123158.JPG 78 KB

Just change the solder wires on the lights. Then they will light in order.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I'm glad you all were receptive to my OCD. I had my flame suit on but was fully prepared to defend myself with logic and facts.

I am restoring a game for someone and they are in the correct order. My personal game is wrong oh well, bugs me whenever I play it but never feel like fixing it!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Just change the solder wires on the lights. Then they will light in order.

Ha!

#20 10 years ago

IMG-20130510-00300-534.jpgIMG-20130510-00300-534.jpg

this really bugs me too. another thing that irks me is when all the pops have the red skirt on them from the factory. I think it looks better with matching skirts

#21 10 years ago

I do like those matching skirts. never occurred to me to do that when I installed my cc'd playfield [years ago]. next time it's torn down for a cleaning, I'll install them.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

I was not clear that I changed the skirts as well as the caps. Sorry about that.
It seemed two of the caps on my game were red and all of the skirts were red.
In order to change the skirts, some disassembly was necessary.

IMG_0963.JPGIMG_0963.JPG IMG_0968.JPGIMG_0968.JPG IMG_0966.JPGIMG_0966.JPG
#23 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

That's the way mine are.

mine too!

#25 10 years ago

I just picked up an early run game (green lock light, grey clock, pop bumper posts). The top two are red and the bottom one is pink-ish/amber/orange/grapefruit. Thinking about changing them to the what dgoett suggested, though the skits won't match, but not that big of a stickler, especially since I know that they correspond with the skill shot.

#26 10 years ago

You can also just make them the same as the mini pf. It's the same order.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 132.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.50
$ 9.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-pop-bumer-cap-order and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.