image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizard_mode.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2283 7 years ago

I want to join this club. Please PM me if you want to trade in your membership by selling me your TZ. Looking for a reasonably priced, players condition example.

3 weeks later
#2338 7 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Each half of the gumball globe molding (front & rear) have sidewalls molded into them that separate that area from the pinball area.

Are those bath beads?

#2341 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

...or use small screws/nuts when replacing.

anyone here have small nuts?

ok I am done trolling....

1 month later
#2502 7 years ago

Well, I'm in! Looking forward to the fun! So far the machine plays and looks awesome! The only issue I can find is switch 2 (lower right) on the power field does not spring back open for some reason. Not sure if these switches can be cleaned in any way. I'm thinking of eventually getting the power field switch mod at some point so I guess that would take care of the issue. Either way, I'm very stoked to have my favorite machine ever in my home!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#2505 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Just loosen the rubber a little.

Hey thx for the reply. But, even when the rubber is off and the switch is out it sticks. The little white plunger seems to be sticking inside the switch housing...

#2507 7 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Have you tried adjusting the switch? Remove the grey rubber cover and loosen the 2 screws and move the bottom of the switch away from mini PF until the small button pops out, then re-tighten. If the button on the microswitch is sticky (flaky) then replace the switch with a new one:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1860

Hi, yep I tried adjusting it but the little bugger is still sticking. I will either replace it with the stock switch or get the switch kit from K's (probably the latter).
Has anyone actually tried cleaning these little switches though? I'm thinking of maybe just trying some alcohol or carb cleaner.
Thanks!

1 week later
#2546 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

I'm toying with the idea of offering some alternate clock face decals for TZ. The original decal on my clock was falling off. While getting ready to order a replacement I thought about printing a new original clock face (I do vinyl decal printing).
So this is just a prototype example. I like it on my machine and thought I would ask if there would be any interest for others? It's reverse printed on removable clear vinyl with a translite diffuser. It installs in the same location as the original decal. Because it's removable vinyl you can reposition it if you miss lining it up on your first few attempts so no wasting a decal (or your money) because of a simple mistake.
This particular color scheme best matched the original clock decal colors but I can change the colors easily if you prefer something else. In addition, I will be increasing the vibrancy of these colors on final prints as this is just a first attempt.
Thanks!

wow that looks awesome! i would be interested and am getting ready to rebuild my clock!

#2554 7 years ago

why do you need to tell time on the clock? can you get it to display the actual time? no bearing on gameplay right?

#2557 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

If the option is enabled, the clock top I can display "real time" while in attract mode..

Ok neat I did not realize this thx!

#2562 7 years ago

I thought NVRAM should keep time and date info. No?

#2578 7 years ago

Wow that really looks awesome!

#2581 7 years ago

Not sure which I like better though. The one without the numbers kind of makes me feel like I am falling into the spiral. Pretty cool effect. One suggestion I would like to make (applies to both designs with and without numbers) is to add or remove one of the symbols in the sequence so that like symbols do not stack up as you move toward the center of the spiral. Does that make sense? My eyes are drawn to the pattern of the same symbol when the spiral should add a bit of randomness. Like maybe have 13 symbols in the sequence instead of 12. I don't know, just my opinion. Very nice work nontheless...

#2615 7 years ago

I got a weak mini flipper. Seems like it intermittently lags the main flipper as well. I tried cleaning the flipper board opto switch but I am still having the issue (this fixed the issue on my Judge Dredd so I tried it on TZ). Any help would be greatly appreciated...

#2644 7 years ago

All I know is that there is no orange or amber in Twlight Zone, only black, white, and grey.
Get over it!

#2647 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_(color)
The color amber is a pure chroma color, located on the color wheel midway between the colors of gold and orange.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_(color)
The color Amber is a yellowish-orange color.

LOL, is this what the TZ owners club has resorted to? How bout posting some sweet scores or answering my weak mini flipper question. 50% of you turds are color blind anyways, LOL.
My highest score on my newly acquired TZ is 619k. My slot machine kicks out weird making it harder to catch consistenly. My outlanes are in the middle and my tilt is set pretty tight (with 2 warnings). I have come 2 modes away from LITZ but have not achieved it yet. Looking forward to getting a new slot scoop, new blue clock housing, and upper playfield low-profile switch kit. Yes, I am an addict.

#2648 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

As far as I know, this is Amber...

amazing, she play pinball?

#2674 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Or adjust your rocket coil... seems to be very weak....

you know on my machine the rollover switch was set so it protruded too far above the playfield and it would actually prevent the ball from resting fully into the rocket launcher pocket intermittently. When the ball is not fully seated into this pocket, it is mis-hit by the kicker arm and launches out weakly and sometimes does not even enter the townsquare area. Instead it dribbles out from the entrance below the camera or even hits the stand up target directly below that and bounces SDTM. You may want to check the rollover switch on yours and adjust it down since it is a really easy fix. The coil should not be any weaker than it ever was assuming it was never replaced or anything. Not sure wha you mean by "adjust" the coil?

#2675 7 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I'm hoping someone can help me out that has replaced their TZ translite. I just received and installed a new one that I bought from Little Shop of Games but they source through Planetary Pinball Supply...so it's a next gen which I was assured is just as good if not better (richer colors) than the original. Anyways, I turn the machine on and I can basically see almost every individual LED bulb shine through the translite...it doesn't look good at all. The new translite's backing almost seems translucent and it doesn't look good at all. I'm using normal one LED non-ghosting bulbs from cointaker, so it's not like I'm using ultra brights or anything out of the ordinary for backbox illumination.
Does anyone else have a next gen/PPS replacement translite and is yours like this?
Is there another supplier and is the product better?
Thanks!
P.S. It's significantly more noticeable in person vs. in the pics

whoah that looks crazy! I have the repro "starlight" translite on my machine and the lights do not shine thru at all!

#2680 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Maybe the coil is old/weak or loose... maybe the kicker arm is not aligned...

Misaligned kicker arm is a good possibility. this actually happened to my TZ on the auto plunger.

#2693 7 years ago

looks normal to me

#2700 7 years ago

Yes, this is definitely not a coil sleeve flipper mech thing. Sometimes the mini flipper will intermittently drop even while I am holding the button down. So, are there actually 2 optos on the board? Or, is it one opto feeding both flipper circuits?

#2729 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I was unloading my TZ from my truck by myself today, and I'm pretty sure I tore my right bicep and at least strained my left bicep. Just got back from Urgent Care, and I see an Orthopedic surgeon next week. Very strange hearing the sound of walking on loose gravel in my arms and watching the muscles move around under the skin like worms! I'm extremely sore tonight, and I expect to be sore all weekend. Anyone have experience with a torn, partially torn, or strained bicep (between the bicep and elbow)?

TZ is one heavy bitch. Worth it though!

#2730 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

thanks. ok, no set rule. but knowing the machine in depth, I believe it should be so, especially regarding the 4 combo shot, which is otherwise impossible to get intentionally. Also, that shot is not making points otherwise, and it's not otherwise relying on skills (as said, it cannot be achieved in another way apart from luck). So adding this adjustment only improve the variety of shots to the game, while is not subtracting anything to the game.
I mean, the situation is very different, for example, from the shot at Khan hole in TS with the upper right flipper. In that case you CAN normally shoot at the Khan hole with the upper right flipper: that is a shot! So modifyng the angle of the held upper flipper in order to make the Kahn hole automatically is a cheat in my opinion, because it makes the game easier.
But as explained this is not the situation in TZ, so I think this modification should be done.

Might as well set the machine on 5 ball too and turn the tilt off.

1 week later
#2751 7 years ago

Need some help! My extra ball button has no wires coming from it! I see a naked 4 pin connector just dangling near the front of the cabinet just waiting to be tapped. Can anyone snap a pic of their EB button wiring so I can figure out which wires go where? It would be nice if there were a little mini harness I could buy but I am not holding my breath. Anyone know where I could buy this mating connector though?
Thanks in advance!

#2753 7 years ago

thanks! is that an inline fuse holder on the red wire?

#2757 7 years ago

Is it normal for a full plunge to brick off of the plunge scoop sometimes? I replaced the shooter spring and rubber tip thinking I was not getting a hard enough plunge. But it still bricks about 20% of the time. It seems like the scoop needs to be bent open or something. Before I go to work with some needle nose pliers and a blow torch, is it supposed to be like that?

#2760 7 years ago

Ok its fixed! I took off the scoop and found a thicker than usual washer between the scoop and the PF in one of the 3 screw locations (the one closest to the subway). Seemed strange so I removed it. No more bricks! And further bonus. I got LITZ for the first time. Woop!

#2779 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

At times the ball does not go in all the way & just comes back out (sometimes not) even at a good speed. Is this normal? Thanks

yeah brick shots are normal for the lock shot

#2786 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Why is this? Is it part of the programming? What's stopping the ball?

No its not programmed. But, I have just accepted that it bricks sometimes because of the passage mechanical design ever since I watched a PAPA pinball tutorial with Bowen Kerins and he mentioned it. BTW, great tutorial, see below...

#2789 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

A little background, for those *really* interested..
Originally, one of the first lock designs had no ramp there and no flap up at the far end (entrance) of the lock. The exit of the lock area was angled down-playfield. (If you look at the kickout, you'll see the red lane artwork on the playfield is still angled down like this.)
The problem with this was that balls shot into the lock would shoot around that tight corner at the entrance, and go flying into the lock. Ball speed would be to fast that the ball would then jump out of the kickout into the spiral. The lock exit was changed, to straighten it off, to stop ball bounce-outs. This didn't really work well. So, the alternative was to slow the ball down - by sending it up a short ramp to then get deflected back onto the playfield, taking a lot of momentum out of the ball, so it wouldn't go flying out the bottom of the lock.
The problem with THAT was that space was so limited, that on a hard-enough shot, the downward deflector would cause the ball to hit the end of the ramp, lose ALL momentum, and come rolling out the entrance.
In that thread, I mentioned that I used lock-nuts to raise up the back of my lock cage, because my plastic spacers were pretty much squeezed completely out of shape. After over six months of playing, it's still not 100% - I actually have balls coming out of the lock exit now. My deflector isn't angled right to slow balls down enough sometimes. (Maybe, 1 in 10 shots when lock is empty.) So it's a tweak I need to get to.

Hi Coyote, thanks alot for the background. This is very interesting. So, did machines ever ship from the factory with spacers in the cage to raise it up? Mine only bricks 1 in 10 or so and I think it actually adds to the enjoyment of the game. I can see how it would be annoying if it bricked at a much higher frequency though.

#2791 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

My game came with spacers. Over the years (i.e. When I did my clearcoating of the PF) I only had one left, and it was almsot cut-through from the metal pressing down into it. (Overtightening.. ) Likely at some point I likely took it apart, it fell off, and I didn't know what it was for after reassembling. I'm not sure if they were all shiped with the spacers or not - I've heard people say their game didn't come with them, some did. Considering how difficult they are to get on, and stay on while sliding the lock cage back into the playfield, I wouldn't be surprised if many games left the factory with them not on. (If they were even *supposed* to be there..)

Gotcha, I will be rebuilding my claock and putting in a piano mod pretty soon on mine. Might be a good time to see what I am working with. Not sure if I have spacers or not. Do you think that maybe the lock nuts (I assume you mean the steel nuts with nylon locking material in them as opposed to jam nuts) are a little too tall causing the ball to push through to the exit? Just thinking maybe if I do anything I would add a washer or a skinnier jam nut there since I am not getting tons of brick shots and raising it up a 1/4" or so might be overkill. Seems like a thread solution (like your lock nut idea) is the way to go though... Thanks again!

1 week later
#2827 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I'm thinking of getting this gumball machine mod but was wondering if it would look right without adding the fake gumballs?? I like the stock look to match the backglass picture. Thanks
http://pinballpro.net/shop/twilight-zone-gumball-sparkle-kit-tz-4/

The backglass picture has silver balls while the stock gumball machine is empty? How does that match? Are you thinking of adding silver ball bearings to the gumball machine so it matches the backglass pic?

#2843 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I did and looks good... have bunch extra also

Pic? I am thinking of switching from my colored balls to silver ball bearings...

#2845 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Long shot I know............but does anyone have an idea where I might be able to get the trough board that recognizes when the powerball is in the trough. Been actively looking for a few months now.

You check here yet?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-power-ball-sensing-problem#post-29285

#2861 7 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

This is my 6 year old son Ingo junior.
Today he soldered his first TZ-clock-board under my assistance. He did a very very good job, all solder joints are perfect.
The board is tested and runs perfect. Same quality as when I had soldered it by myself. PCB is brandnew and has silkscreen October/2016.
As he is dreaming of a new game for his WiiU, he wants to sell the board here in my favorite club.
Ingo is thinking about a price of 95,00 USD. For this price Ingo will add sets of warm-white, cold-white, blue and rainbow color changing LEDs + free shipping worldwide. You save about 50,00 USD to the regular price.
First come first serve.

What was replaced? All optos? Anything else? How did you test it?

#2867 7 years ago

I am the designer and manufacturer of this board. The board is brandnew with all new parts etc. ....
For more information please look here
http://www.german-pinball-modular.de/final-tz-clock-pcb-english.html
or search on pinside for Ingo clock board
I test every board on my tester before shipping, see the tester in action here:
» YouTube video

oh ok very nice! I installed the rottendog version that came with my machine but am still gettin intermittent "clock broken" error. So I guess my issue was not the board... on the to do list!

#2876 7 years ago

Is there something else besides the clock board that can cause the "clock broken" error upon boot?

1 week later
#2912 7 years ago

Hi All,
I thought I saw, on this thread somewhere, a post about someone who replaced the LED bulbs on the Rottendog clock board. But now I cannot find this post.
I have the RD clock board installed (its working good), but I am rebuilding the clock and would like to brighten up the light a little bit (without paying $$$ for a different clock board). Will replacing the 3mm with 5mm help? Or, is there a wide angle bulb that might work better? Does anyone else remember seeing the post I am referring to?
Thanks in advance...

#2914 7 years ago

Another idea I had was to add 2 3mm LEDs (wired in parallel) per LED location instead of the single. I would think thiswould double the amps going through the RD board from something tiny to something small. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

#2918 7 years ago

Replacing 3mm by 5mm does not have a really great effect.
Since you are so desperate searching for an improvement, I can offer you, to etch you a little pcb, you glue with a hot glue gun in the center of your RD-board. Before that, you have to desolder the 4 LEDs or simply cut them out; the pre resistors will remain in the RD-board without any function. Then you can hot-glue the little pcb on the top of the RD-board and solder 2 little wires to connector J2, thats all.
The little pcb has the following advantages:
- fully rectified GI voltage
- I use 130° wide angle superfluxx LEDs
- LEDs are all socketed, so simple change between colors is easy
- absolute flicker free lightning
- you can adjust the brightness of the LEDs with a little poti
I use the same circuit and parts as on my professional board. I would like to send you blue, cool-white, warm-white and rainbow color changing LEDs.
To install the mod, should not last longer than 5 minutes, you only should have a bit of soldering skills.
And the best: All will be free for you, so I can "play" a bit and can help you here in my favorite forum; simply send me a PM with your shipping adress.
I will etch the board this weekend, make a little video and the ship to you - IF YOU WANT ...
The board looks as follows and is placed as seen in the following pic

Wow, sending PM now. Thank you so much.

#2921 7 years ago

Thanks for sending the pics; dimensions of the little GI-board are OK.
The sweety should sit on the board like this; 2 solder bridges must be made on the bottom of the board.

Ok no problem. Happy to report back with pics/videos either on this thread or privately. Thanks again!

#2924 7 years ago

Already found the time this evening, to etch and build your board. It´s really a sweety and works perfect. I have no time, to make a video now, you can make it, when you got the board.
I did not cut the wires of the parts on the bottom, but bent them a bit, so that the board becomes as flat as possible. Tomorrow I will cut a piece of fish-paper, better we put it between the RD board and our board, to prevent possible short circuits.
For demonstration purpuses only I put the board on an original board and a blank pcb spare of my professional board.
By the way - the solder-bridges on the bottom of the board are not necessary, but I would do them.
But pics say more than words - sweet, isn´t it? In 5-8 days it will be in the US.

looking forward to testing this baby out for you!!!

3 weeks later
#3010 7 years ago

I need to give a plug to Ingo (German-Pinball) for his LED expansion board for the TZ clock board. This thing installed with super-ease and lights up my clock like no other! At the link below you can see an installation video of me fumbling through the process. I am new to board electronics and even I was able to do this with no problem. I must say I am not very good with the camera but I think you get the point. If you are ever looking to update the brightness of the TZ clock and you do not need an entirely new board, I recommend this one from Ingo. It even has a brightness dial on it to make sure you can match the light intesity with the rest of your machine. Well done Ingo!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ln6k9ytjtibu5x/AABMfcwBi4OZ9ptub9-CJVgNa?dl=0

Update: I wanted to note that Ingo (creator of the original Ingo-Board) created this expension board as a remedy for my lighting problem with the rottendog clock board I have in my machine. To my knowledge it does not work for the original TZ Bally/WMS clock board and it only addresses the lighting (not the opto problems). He only made one of these as a fun experiment but maybe if enough people were interested he would consider a small batch. Below is some more info on the design and conversation when he originally designed this one:
post #2916:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/59#post-3442130
post #2920:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/59#post-3442799
post #2923:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/59#post-3443484
post #2977:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/60#post-3457011

IMO this is the best even spread of lights I have seen and the interchangable bulbs and intesity dial are a huge plus!

TX Clock LED (resized).pngTX Clock LED (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3026 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

I replaced the kicker and it still only works 30 % of the time.
The arm is very loose, would adding a washer help it out ?
the kicker tests fine so it's loosing inertia someplace I think
Also what kind of lubrication does this require, if any ?

How does the coil stop look? If it is all mushroomed out, replace it.

3 weeks later
#3102 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

In stock and now available: This is an alternative replacement to the factory clock board. All-new construction, it uses the "carpet" effect to illuminate the face of the clock without spilling outside of the housing. The standard assembly is fitted with white LEDs. Blue, green, and red are optional.
The new design is fitted with 12 high intensity LEDs which flood the clock face insert evenly with illumination, while using less power than the original four incandescent bulbs and creating MUCH less heat.
Plug-and-play system completely replaces your original, heat-damaged opto clock board assembly using current-design opto switches. Several prototypes have been tested by TZ owners, and documented on some previous posts in this thread - check it out.

how much?

#3104 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

$84.95 retail. However, pinsiders get it for $70 shipped. You need to PM me for that deal.
Makes your clock light up completely natural and even, and can be special-ordered in blue, green or red.

nice!

#3107 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Have you ever ordered from them before? Looks like they mistyped on their sale, putting in 100% instead of 10%. They will likely cancel your order at 100% off. Lots of cool stuff for topper though.

20170111_071449 (resized).png20170111_071449 (resized).png

#3117 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Unfortunately the wire broke between the coil and the plastic and it is impossible to get to it with an iron.

You could unwind the whole coil and rewind it using a thread spool and a drill...

#3122 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

The problem is that on this coil there is no way to access the Center for the drill.

say whaaaaaat? i never tried the drill thing but it sounded fun when I read about it... what kind of coil is this that is not hollow???

#3131 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Here's a pic of my topper
Not part of the pin I know but it's from my wife's favorite episode

love that!

#3138 7 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I just found this in the gallery pics.
I'm not sure if it's being made or if there are other decals available

Contact pinsider "stpcore". he is the designer of those clock faces and was looking at printing them a few months back...

1 week later
#3164 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Sounds like the right spiral opto is shorted to one of the lock optos somehow. The voltage it's sending when it gets triggered is also triggering one of the lock optos.
Go into switch edge test and break the right spiral opto beam (switch 81) with your finger and see if one of the lock optos(switches 84 and 85) triggers as well.

If the switch test does trigger the lock opto when the spiral opto is interrupted (Iexpect that it will), maybe you can try the following: disconnect the connector for the optos from the MPU board while in switch test mode. Jump together the header pins that correspond to the right spiral opto to see if the lock opto still triggers. If the answer is yes, then the issue is on the MPU board (decoder chip?). If the answer is no, then the issue is somewhere on the playfield circuit.

2 weeks later
#3234 7 years ago

Anybody done LED star posts with the GLM low profile powerfield switch kits? I was thinking it would be sweet to have the powerfield light up whenever the switches are hit. Wondering where to tap in for powering the LED star posts...

#3250 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I think I may be heading down to my local print shop to have this printed. It'd be fun to put in my TZ for when I take it to another show and let people try and figure out why it's in there and when my game was made and all that other fun stuff!

LMAO

1 month later
#3406 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Any suggestions on site to buy from, and is there a list of the types of bulbs I will need?
Do you suggest doing it bit by bit (for example, doing the door lights on the play field, and then moving on to another part?)
Again, I'm totally new to the hobby, not the most technically inclined, but I'm willing and happy to learn.
Thank you all so much. Hoping to be part of the TZ crew soon

www.cometpinball.com

2 weeks later
#3635 7 years ago

Got LITZ the other day check it out!

#3637 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I found a replacement choke sensor that works with the Pinpoint board! Best news is that it only cost 29 cents from Mouser. No more switch 26 error!
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Bourns%2FRLB0712-101KL%2F&qs=Pnu8sm4aB7vLBx5Unny8ew%3D%3D

I just ordered a few of these choke sensors. Anyone who wants one and does not want to pay $5 shipping can buy one off of me if you want to for $2 shipped. Just pm me...

#3700 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Looks good! If I were to color the metal, it'd be black.
This game *always* continues to surprise me.
On one multiball, the game was trying to load balls onto the magnets, for the 'special' release. The second ball missed the middle magnet, and got caught on the left magnet. So, the third ball was supposed to get caught on the right magnet. It missed as well - but not enough. The magnetic field caught it and started to pull it in towards it back down the spiral. However, the game's timer ended, so the magnet shut off, sending the ball shooting down the right spiral towards the flipper. Neat effect!
Later, same multiball, one ball ends up shooting down between the flippers. It happened to hit *just right* and zoom up the side, up the right outlane, then hit the post and rolled into the inlane. Awesome.

Auto death save!

#3717 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I spent some time trying to manually clean the powerball (with Novus). That accomplished almost nothing after 15 minutes of hand polishing. Aside from tumbling it, I think the only other option is to buy a new one.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-powerball

Has anyone tumbled theirs? Does it dull the shiny finish?

#3720 7 years ago

You know, I bet that if I put the powerball in my tumbler with some water and FITZ chrome polish and let it go overnight it would come out great.

#3793 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I cut the hole for the coindoor after the decal was applied. You need an exacto knife with a very sharp blade to trim it. Decal was applied using wet method, Dawn and water.

questions about cabinet decals:
Is there a trick to keeping the decals from wrinkling around the legs?
Do all TZs have decals? Looking closely at mine I thought the cabinet art was painted on.

#3798 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

They are all decals. Best way to prevent wrinkling is with metal cabinet protectors. Pinball life sells a set for $15.

I have had a machine with beautiful new decals wrinkle (badly) around the leg protectors. Wondering if there is a way to prevent this through the decal application process. I can take my question to the tech forums if I ever get serious about doing some decals. Just thought whoever applied them here might have a quick tip from their experience... Also, looking at my machine, it looks like paint. Here is what I am seeing where it looks like wood grain coming through in the white areas only. The more I inspect maybe they are decals...

20170417_085909 (resized).jpg20170417_085909 (resized).jpg

#3799 7 years ago

I guess wood grain could show through a decal too...

#3806 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

score the decal around the protector,
remove the protector and remove the scored cut out decal,
replace the protector with the bolts on,
apply the screws to it that will hold it...
no more leg wrinkle.

I think removing the decal under the protector is the key here. is there something about the metal protectors that makes them better than the plastic ones?

#3807 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Decals will show every flaw underneath, including rough sanding marks. That's why it's critical to have a perfectly flat and clean surface.

Hmmm I am thinking paint would show more flaws than a decal would.

#3808 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Decals will show every flaw underneath, including rough sanding marks. That's why it's critical to have a perfectly flat and clean surface.

Hmmm I am thinking paint would show flaws through as well. maybe even more so.

#3824 7 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

The metal protectors keep the leg off the cabinet so they dont touch anything but the metal.
The plastic ones still rest on the decal and will wrinkle them.

Ok I use these which serve the same purpose right? Is there something about the metal ones that is better for not wrinkling decals? Thx...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PINCAB-DB

#3827 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

No, unfortunately those just hide the wrinkles and possibly create more wrinkles, the metal ones sit under the legs and are completely hidden once the legs are installed... the metal ones hold the leg out 1/16" from the cab so nothing pushes against the decal to wrinkle it

Gotcha. I will be sure to give them a try, thx!

#3849 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Was watching this guy play, and he's unreal!
» YouTube video
Curious to know how he keeps getting the Piano Jackpot over and over? I thought that you could get it once, then relight by hitting Lock, and then get a second Jackpot only?
Can anyone tell me how he's doing this?

You normally have to hit the camera to relight JP in MB. But, I think there is a bug where you can actually relight it by hitting the dead end shot. It looks like he tosses the ball up into dead end whenver he hits a JP to relight it instantly. Just my guess. The video is kind of dark and hard to see...

#3852 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I haven't watched it, mainly because of the length. (Hey! That's 45 minutes I could spend playing my own TZ!) If ya'll have a time fram of when this happens, let me know.
Off the top of my head, it's important to know that every shot that is shot up the Dead End hole ALSO runs over the camera switch. So, while it's not really a 'bug', it is something to be taken advantage of. Moreso in Power Multiball -
For example - the game does not keep track of the number of balls entering and exiting the Powerfield. Once the top exit opto is triggered, there's a few seconds (3 or 4, I believe) where any subsequent hit on the camera switch will award the powerball jackpot. So, by shooting a ball up into the powerfield, and keeping it there as long as possible while getting it to break the top exit opto, any other ball shot into the Camera or Dead End will award a jackpot - as long as the timer remains.
This comes in *extremely handy* during LITZ - shoot the first ball you get up into the powerfield. Every ball after that that is dispensed from the gumball machine will give you the jackpot.
Want a *really* good LITZ score? Try to get Powerball Mania, Clock Millions, and TSQ Madness in the same ball, before starting LITZ. When LITZ is finished, your three mode scores from the Powerball Mania and the two modes will be *added* to the scores you get for those modes DURING LITZ. This will bump up your LITZ score a LOT (depending on how good you are, of course!) and make you LITZ champion!
I digress. Sorry.
Yeah, during normal multiball, the camera shot has to be hit to relight the jackpot. If there is something wrong with the dead end switch, and the game doesn't see a ball hit that switch first, then it will think the ball was shot into the camera hole and re-light jackpot.

I did not watch the entire video either. But, I forwarded through until I saw Jackpots on the DMD. Bowen called it "unfinished code" I believe in his tutorial which I watched a while back. So, that's why I incorrectly referred to it as a "bug." I did not realize that the dead end /camera shot would award a powerball JP though!

#3857 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Not sure what's 'unfinished'. Be itneresting to see that.

I am referring to Bowen's comments here at the 8:57 mark. I guess he refers to it as a cost savings... Who knows. Bug, glitch, cost savings, loop-hole, unfinished, etc. Who has the exact history here? Heck maybe it was an intentional "trick" left in by Pat? What it boils down to is that it is exploitable! =)

#3860 7 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Yeah, I put up my TZ for sale. Took the ad off after 3 hours. It's such an amazing game I could never part with it...

Smart man!!!

#3861 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yup, that's the Powerball exploit I mention in my previous post.
While I know why they didn't add a switch to verify the shot (switch matrix was full!), I only *think* I know why Ted didn't/couldn't address it better in code -
I have a vague memory of Ted mentioning during the beta that "new features" couldn't be added because available memory was almost nil. I.e. He didn't have enough side to add a variable in RAM to store the # balls entering the mini-PF vs exiting. However I no longer have my 10+ year old emails anymore, so I can't be positive on that.

Wow switch matrix is full!?! Awesome. Use every last ounce available and cram in more. Love it!

#3871 7 years ago

Kind of a unique request, but, does anyone have any high res videos of the TZ door lock and explosion sequence DMD animation? I am working on an art project and would like to remove the black background. I took a video of mine at home but my phone is not doing the trick. Still art would also work, I am looking to extract 2 images from a video: one of the door with sparks around it and one of the door exploded. I scrubbed the colorDMD sample video and these images are not included... =(

#3873 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Have you looked at the animations using the Pinball Browser? The door sequence in TZ_94H.ROM starts at 0x88 and the last frame is 0x9B.

Hey cool glad I asked! I can take detailed pinball browser Q's to a different thread I know. But, when I look at the TZ 9H home ROM the sparks do not appear around the door. Strange... I tried both the pinmame and std images...

#3893 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Sometimes my game depresses me so much.
1000 balls played since reassembling the playfield after getting it clearcoated. So, I first do under the PF, and no issues. A few loosed screws that required a bamboo shim, but everything else is fine.
Then I start working on the top side. Take off mini-PF and ramps, and start doing an inspection of the playfield and I come across this:

This is making me consider putting down a full-playfield mylar now. All I can say is that this better have happened during some awesome multiball or LITZ.
Then, I came across this, and am wondering how everyone else's game is set up. In this shot, you will see the metal guide ending there at the two bulbs, just up and let of the red pop bumper. Looking at it, you'll see that it ends in the post there.

Now, my playfield has a second hole - hidden under the guide in my pic - that ends the metal guide out, away from the post. Unfortunately, I do not know which hole is original, and wondering where other folf's metal guide ends.
As-is, pictured, any ball hit/shot up the hitchiker will hit that post, and bounce all around the pop bumpers.
When it's moved into the other hole, balls hit/shot up the hitchiker will come sailing down and hit the yellow pop bumper, which will activate and send the ball back onto the playfield center.

Does the 2nd hole make the deadend shot harder to make? Also, is the cracked clear on the multiball insert on the surface? Sucks...

#3902 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Honestly, didn't notice a difference on making the dead end shot; just balls coming down from the hitchhiker..

Here is mine, return hitchiker shots will not hit the rubber. How about the cracked clear. Is that on the surface?

20170423_200039 (resized).jpg20170423_200039 (resized).jpg

#3905 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Installed GLM mini-pf switches yesterday. They look great, works perfectly, but I ended up breaking my magna-flip plastic...
Any good soul with a spare out there that could help me?

Here you go!
Look at this on eBay ebay.com link: itm

#3911 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Thanks again but now this one is out of stock...

Dang striking out! If you want me to buy the ebay item and then I can ship it to you, LMK. Might be a little costly tho...

1 month later
#4252 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

The Great Lakes Modular Power Field switches 2.0 have an extra set of switches for "mods".
I'm guessing so something with lights can be connected to the switches as well, I'm curious to know what anyone has done with the ability to run a mod off them

I bought those switches and am thinking of ordering a set of star post LEDs to trigger with them. I also emailed GLM two or three times to inquire, but have not heard back. Hope everything is ok with him!

#4285 6 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Awesome! Yes let's say that I have been reaching out to see if 'anyone' would be interested but just crickets at this point. Understandably so but a response would have been appreciated
Are we faced with any challenges here for doing voice work 'in the style' of someone else or saying things that were authored by someone else?

If you do not sell it for profit then it is a non-issue.

5 months later
#4926 6 years ago

I have an extra TZ playfield. It is not is the best shape but would be a good candidate for restoration. Supposedly it is the old PF from the Pinball Hall of Fame TZ in Vegas for whatever that's worth. Lol.
Is this thing worth anything as is (I know it depends on condition but just asking in general terms) or restored? Searching the interwebs, I cannot find any TZ PFs for sale at the moment...

#4928 6 years ago

Hey thanks,
I have never heard of Mirco. So are these repro playfields?

2 months later
#5373 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

The colors of your decals should match the PF colors... They're way off...
I installed these side-art decals below on my machine and they look absolutely gorgeous!
Acquired from a local source and the quality is pretty awesome!

Yeah those desert colors really match the PF much better. LMAO. Must stink being color blind...

#5375 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yep..., perfect yellow match and perfect continuity! It must really stink being (color) blind!

Fine, point taken, the yellow is off a little. Could be due to the picture too I suppose. No reason to hate on @pinrob's sweet looking decals though. Honestly, I think they look sweet.

#5378 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Finally put these side and back wall art blades in, and was able to do it without pulling the playfield out!

Is there a matching left side art?

#5381 6 years ago

Ok yeah cool here is a pic of both sides. Looks sweet!

#5382 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Well, at least that was the original idea.... As they say, easier said than done!

No hate here, life is beautiful... I just said the colors were off. (Period). Unfortunately, as seen below, it stinks knowing that's not the rule here on pinside.

No hate at all. Just stating that it must stink being color blind (period). I took your comments as negative especially after you hated on the bat armor a few posts prior. Maybe it was a misunderstanding and you were just being chummy. Maybe it is a cultural miscommunication. Who knows.

#5384 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

That one was best implemented... But the thing with this decals is, no matter the angle you look at, it will never provide a correct continuity of the PF art. And that is the sole point of this art.

Looks like it lines up prefect from the player's perspective...

#5389 6 years ago

#5418 6 years ago

Sweet, thx! Ordered! Seems to match the TZ game theme the best out of the otber covers I've seen...

#5425 6 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Can someone confirm the rubber rings used on TZ? Looking at the manual and kits posted on Titan Pinball I am pretty sure these are correct.
3 Rubber Rings - Flipper Standard
1 Rubber Rings - Flipper Mini
1 Rubber Rings - Shooter Tip
6 Rubber Rings - 5/16 Inch ID
2 Rubber Rings - 7/16 Inch ID
16 Rubber Rings - 7/16 Inch OD (1 extra for shooter lane)
2 Rubber Rings - 1 Inch ID (noted as 1 1/4 "D" in manual for posts above pop bumpers)
2 Rubber Rings - 1 1/4 Inch ID
4 Rubber Rings - 2 Inch ID
2 Rubber Rings - 2 1/2 Inch ID
Where I am confused is on the 3/4 Inch ID rings. If you have posts in between the pop bumpers then you will use 2 of them in the "B" position, however the manual calls for 4 rings so I have no idea where the other 2 would go.

This pic shows a double post so maybe the intent was 2 3/4" rings on each post?

#5457 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Best thing is to get a reinforced target like the following. They seem to be out of stock often, though.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R
I had the same problem with a few targets on my Shadow and those fixed the problem. For now, you can shove some more padding behind the targets.

PBR has the reinforced target too...

7 months later
#6440 5 years ago

TZ Rules question: Does it matter how I start the door MB mode? Are jackpots worth more if I lock 2 balls (as opposed to only locking 1), then start MB with the ramp? How about if I start MB with the lock shot on 3rd lock? Does it matter which way I go as far as points?
Tx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 22.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizard_mode.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=wizard_mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.