IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trainh2o.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#373 9 years ago

I'm new to Pinside, but I've had my TZ for about 12 years.

I am considering putting LEDs in the back box. Who has them and did you do an interesting color combination to highlight the translite artwork? Would you post a photo of it with the translite on and off?

Also, I saw mention of an LED added to the piano and slot machine. Where is the best place to mount the lamps? Photos?

Thanks

#386 9 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

I am not a owner yet but planning to buy one, tomorrow I am going to see one that is for sale.
What are the points specific to the TZ to look for before I buy?

I wouldn't let a broken clock or gumball machine stop me from buying a TZ. Those things can be fixed, pretty easily. For me, a good playfield and a non-hacked power board would be number one and two, although the power boards can be repaired or replaced too.

The slot scoop can also be replaced, but it's a real pain.

Look for discoloration, possible burn, around the magnets. It's not usually as big an issue as it is on TAF, but worth mentioning.

2 weeks later
#408 9 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Added some chrome trim from Mike Chestnut to my TZ
As it sits in it's own little private room with my Tafg

I wish I could get Mike to return my email. What's the secret?

#410 9 years ago

That chrome does look fantastic.

I just added clear flipper buttons, lit with color-changing LEDs. Pretty cheap mod that I think fits in the theme of the game. I have a light strip for the door on the translite too, but haven't installed it yet.

BTW, this is the nicemite.com version, not the ones that are $30 a pair.

#433 9 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

The sensor board mounted to the subway, that's supposed to recognize the powerball, isn't working on mine. Does anyone make a replacement board for this part?

I had a similar issue. Mine was a loose connector.

I checked pins and solder pads on the boards, but everything looked good. So, I removed the connector, twisted about 8 times and reconnected it. It worked. Apparently the torque created by twisting the wires, kept the connector in proper contact with the header pins.

Might not be your issue, but it's worth a shot.

#435 9 years ago

I thought I had a rare TZ, complete with the special limited edition "smokey sub tunnels".

Nah.......they were just dirty.

After cleaning.
tz sub tunnel.jpgtz sub tunnel.jpg

#437 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Impressive how dirty then can get, isn't it?
Was your gumball popper subway tinted? Most I've seen are...

They were all black, including the blue rubber bumpers. I finally got brave enough to take them off, and clean them.

I kept spot cleaning around the slings, and they would get dirty again. I figured the dirt was in the tunnels, and I was right.

#441 9 years ago

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I removed and cleaned all of them, the slot scoop and others too.

There were a lot of screws, unplug and remove the Eddy Sensor, and three roll-over switches from the tunnel in my photo.

It's where the dirt and grime is hiding.

1 week later
#447 9 years ago

I remember Greater Southern. I bought a CV there, around 2003, at a surprisingly reasonable price.

#448 9 years ago

I'm going to pony up and replace my clock board and housing.
I'm really tired of fixing my clock, and the housing was drilled for ventilation.

I also need to add a Cliffy's protector for the slot machine and shooter lane.

#452 9 years ago

How does that purple board look installed? I'm trying to imagine it in my clock.

#455 9 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

I didn't like the idea of a purple board so I bought direct from Ingo (which was cheaper anyway) and the board was green
He even threw in a different color set of LED's for free, Such a nice guy

Cheaper even after shipping from Germany?

#458 9 years ago

Never mind, I see his site now.

Currently $130 + $17 for shipping to USA. Does this come with LEDs, or do they have to be ordered separately?

I see the options for different colors, just not sure if I need to make a selection if I just want standard LEDs.

#461 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"Comes with warm LED"
Other colors are add ons it seems.

Thanks.

As for the clock housing itself, any difference in them? Do these new boards need ventilation?

#465 9 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

Had a question about high scores on the 9.4 home ROM. I've beaten a few of the scores and haven't been able to enter my initials. I do have it set to 5 ball with the add a ball option on. Would like to know what I can do to get my initials up.

I haven't had any problems entering high scores, and I am running 9.4H.

There are two different tiers of high scores; one is with the extra ball buy-in, the other without. The preset scores are higher for the buy-in. So, if you get 650+ million, I think, without using the extra ball buy-in, you should be able to enter your initials. However, I think the lowest buy-in score is closer to 950 million.

#466 9 years ago

I did a little more cleaning under the playfield. Here's what is hiding under the door, no wonder my door panel lights seemed a bit dim. I cleaned the underside of the inserts as well.

TZ_Doorlights.jpgTZ_Doorlights.jpg

While I had the glass off, I also added this blue shooter tip from Titan Pinball.

tz_bluetip.jpgtz_bluetip.jpg

1 month later
#477 9 years ago

Can't wait to see how those stainless clock arms look installed.

2 weeks later
#490 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Loved most of it, but the main theme would take some getting used to. Not sure if this is for me or not.

I agree. The main theme that made it into production is more fitting. However, I would love to have the other tunes, and have them switchable.

Too much to ask, I'm sure.

#495 9 years ago

I think the best "mod" is lubricating the spindles for the clock gears. Mine was really loud and I can't believe how much quieter it is now.

If you decide to lubricate yours, make sure you use a plastic-safe lubricant and use it sparingly.

Not really a mod I suppose, but it really makes my TZ more enjoyable to play.

#497 9 years ago
Quoted from rviguet:

My clock is very loud. Are you talking about lubricating the shafts that the gears turn on and not the gears themselves? What kind of lube did you use? Would something like 3-in-1 machine oil work? Or maybe something like Jig-A-Loo?

Yes, the shafts the gears rotate on. I used Brain Lube, which says it's safe for plastic. I bought it from Marco.

Just be very careful when you disassemble the gears. Pay close attention to the time on your clock, before you take it apart, and how the gears are assembled.

#501 9 years ago

Polished stainless hands with the proto clock face would look great. You plan on tempting us with photos of your one-off project, or would you consider selling a few pairs of the stainless hands?

#506 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

There's one for the TZ?
Once my playfield is sent off and returned, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the OCD board.
Why?
Because my power-driver board over-drives the LEDs, burning them out withing a few games. (Anyone else have this? Or is my game 'special'?)

I would verify that the voltage is correct, at the lamp sockets that are burning out.

All of my backbox lighting is LEDs, with the exception of the blinkers. I have a few of them in playfield inserts, but I haven't had a problem with any of them burning out. There are a few that blink differently during attract mode.

#509 9 years ago

So your issue is with the controlled lamps, not GI?

#520 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

... Is it still a mod if it came from the factory that way?

In my opinion, those are the best "mods" to add to a pin. The ones that Bally and Williams were too cheap to put on all production pins, like the door panel flashers and the Spiral sign. I also add those that improve game play, or protect from plastic or playfield breakage.

The only true cosmetic mods I have added are the plastic gumballs, and recently I changed out the amber pop bumper cap for one that truly looks orange.

I did order Ingo's clock board, simply because I am tried of fixing my OEM clock boards. I also plan to create and add my own graphics to the very back of the playfield.

#523 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Me too - I (we?) are probably in the minority, but I don't care for mods. The only non-factory one on my game is the laser-cut streetlight over the powerfield.

That streetlight does look nice.

I am not opposed to anyone modding their pins, I just prefer a more traditional look on mine. I forgot that I did add the decorative decal to the diverter.

#529 9 years ago

So far, I have only put red LEDs in my red inserts. It really makes the color pop.

Yellow has been a disaster. I don't like the cool or warm white in the yellow inserts, so I still have the standard 555s. Amber; I have not tried yet. I might try the Comet Sunlight, next time I need to order lamps.

I would like to put an orange in the orange insert for the mini playfield. It needs to look a little more orange.

3 weeks later
#546 9 years ago
Quoted from JDee:

Hi there!
I'd like to set pinball in a way I can compare my records with other pinballers..
Can someone help me? Thanks!

Are you talking about all the feature settings in the menu? If so, I simply go with the factory defaults, with the exception of the minimum volume and power saver GI level overrides set to on.

#558 9 years ago

I've never seen that sticker. Maybe I was robbed.

#564 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Well, here's one for you to print out, and put.. uhm.. wherever it's supposed to go.

Thanks, just not sure what to do with it.

1 week later
#576 9 years ago
Quoted from swedishc:

Thanks!
Ok, last one. Is this one even used?

GS-TZ31-1765-15L.jpg 2 KB

This is the Spiral Sign that was left off the production pins. It sits above the entrance to the left spiral loop.

lamp.jpglamp.jpg
#582 9 years ago

I don't have the spiral sign in my TZ, but Marco has the blank plastic. You'll have to use water slide decals to make the lettering.

#584 9 years ago

Yes, it's a bit funny to see the plastic for sale new, without the text.

2 weeks later
#607 9 years ago
Quoted from swedishc:

I loosely followed a guide online to build the piano. The bottom part is dense foam which helped it sit flat under the clock.

unnamed.jpg 26 KB

I need this. Can you post the link to the guide?

8 months later
#1274 8 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

finishing a friends TZ....last fix. What are the correct pop bumper cap colors? Seen diff combos...He has an orange one off a diff game so trying to get correct. I see lots of 2 red and a yellow.

Should be one each; red, yellow, orange.

The OEM orange was more amber and really didn't look that orange to me. I ordered an orange cap and like it much better.

Make sure you put them in the correct position. Look at the inserts on the mini playfield, and match that color scheme. This way the correct color bumper lights up when you are awarded a jet bonus.

#1294 8 years ago

Cliff calls it a drop switch protector. It's generic and he says the same one will work on various games.

I ordered one along with the slot protector, and a few for my IJ, last week.

#1300 8 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Looking for suggestions on your favorite mods/protection for TZ. What did you do to your machine that you love?
I picked up a more or less stock machine earlier in the summer (led clock board installed, that's it) and am about to shop it out and maybe add LEDs around the playfield.
Sadly it won't help me reach LITZ

I'm not much on mods, but I did install the plastic colored gumballs in the gumball machine and the gumball insert door flashers.

As for protectors, Cliffy's slot protector is a must have and his drop switch protector isn't a bad idea.

#1301 8 years ago

I forgot about your LITZ comment, buy the home ROMs.

They have a LITZ practice mode that allows you to do just that. However, it won't allow you to save the LITZ score while in practice mode. Otherwise, it operates the same as the commercial ROMs.

#1302 8 years ago

Double-post.

2 weeks later
#1348 8 years ago

I personally don't like most of the TZ mods, but it's all personal preference.

Want to bling out your game? Go for it. Want to keep it mostly stock? Sure, it's your game.

I like LEDs in TZ for the reasons mentioned, but don't really like them in my IJ. I do like the plastic or glass gumballs, door flashers, and some type of sprial sign as these should have been on the game to start with. At least from what I have been told.

I like the diverter and lamp post decals, and a less busy backboard decal too. What I wish would be developed is a lamp post that doesn't show the wires or use zip ties.

1 month later
#1417 8 years ago

Yes, take the clock out of the game.

Make sure it is at 12:00 before you start taking it apart. Also, if you clock is really loud, use this or similar lubricant to quieten it down.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-BL

#1424 8 years ago

What's missing? I can't tell from the photos.

You can get or make a cabinet and boards are available. I'm sure the translite isn't impossible to find and color DMD would be an option for the display. Finding a transformer might be tricky. I've never looked for one.

#1432 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I think the fact that all the wiring is gone, is a deal breaker. Maybe there is a TZ out there that already has the items listed above and needs a populated playfield, but I would not start with that.
Spend that cash on a better camera.

I think he was talking about wiring in the lower cabinet; at least that's the way I took it. If that's the case, it wouldn't be a huge deal. Wiring would have to be run to the flipper buttons, start and buy-in buttons, speaker, tilt, slam switches, and coin door. Power to the transformer wouldn't be huge, but finding the correct transformer and the service box might.

You would ideally want to find a cheap, beat up compatible donor pin, and start from there. Seeing how TZ is a widebody, that's makes it more difficult.

#1439 8 years ago
Quoted from Mateo777:

Thanks for everybody's reply. Yeah my main concern was trying to sorce the transformer, cabinet wiring and the back glass board for the lights. Your right, it would be a hell of a project. It is missing some piece in the middle of the playfield but I can't tell what it is. Some kind of drop target or something? Anyway, there's better pictures right here if anybody has time to look at them. I would love to make this a project pin but I just don't want to be upside down in this after I'm done. ebay.com link

Your link didn't work but I found the listing.

Missing that I see are:
1. Slot Machine Scoop
2. Lower Flipper Bats
3. All playfield wiring loom connectors !!! Seriously, WTF !!!
Maybe other parts, but this is what I see from a quick glance.

Looks faded under the door panels and wear from the lower flippers.

#1440 8 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Hmmm I had a look around but I don't see anywhere a part that seems to be broken or missing? the powerball just get pushed forward against the front of the globe by the oncoming ball coming down the ball guide at the back? Anyone has a similar picture of the inside of their Gumball?
Capture.PNG

The notch in the front and rear of the clear part of the gumball machine, is where the clear plastic divider fits. Without it, you are going to have issues.

6 months later
#2220 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

To get you started with your new business, I'll let you in on a little secret about most mods for TZ and TAF and many others…. they're all just repainted diecast pencil sharpeners.
Here's your start:
http://www.pencilthings.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=13&search=sharpeners+die+cast&show=100&page=1
You can get them even cheaper on eBay and other places, too.

This would make a good looking TZ piano if you add a DIY scroll and it were the right size.

Approximate Size 2 1/4” x 2 1/2” x 1 5/8”

piano_(resized).PNGpiano_(resized).PNG

2 months later
#2411 7 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

Anyone know where the 4 small clear plastics are supposed to go? Can't seem to figure it out.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-clear-plastics-question

The only one that I can find on mine is the one in the shooter lane, as shown in the other thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 22.50
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trainh2o.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=trainh2o and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.