image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#221 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Took me a while to find this lost ball. Good thing I have the plastic protector! And yes, I know the pop cap is the wrong color, the previous owner did that and I forgot to change it when I replaced that magna flip sign.

What makes you think it's the wrong color? According to the flyer, the cap on the right is yellow.

TZ Flyer.jpgTZ Flyer.jpg

4 months later
#270 9 years ago

I brought my TZ to PAGG last weekend and displayed this video TV. I sold a bunch, and I have a few left.

TZ video plays about 15 minutes and then repeats. The intro to the show alternates with highlights from four classic episodes (Nightmare at 20K Feet, Eye of the Beholder, The Hitchhiker, and To Serve Man).

Plug n play - $139 (DK Pinball power tap included).

The youtube video is just a short example during the end of the Hitchhiker episode. The video looks much better while viewing live (no scan lines, better contrast, etc). My camera and the display don't "jive," so it doesn't look as good in the video. PM or email if interested: sparkypinball at yahoo

Black Video TV Cropped.jpgBlack Video TV Cropped.jpg

#272 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I brought my TZ to PAGG last weekend and displayed this video TV. I sold a bunch, and I have a few left.
TZ video plays about 15 minutes and then repeats. The intro to the show alternates with highlights from four classic episodes (Nightmare at 20K Feet, Eye of the Beholder, The Hitchhiker, and To Serve Man).
Plug n play - $139 (DK Pinball power tap included).
The youtube video is just a short example during the end of the Hitchhiker episode. The video looks much better while viewing live (no scan lines, better contrast, etc). My camera and the display don't "jive," so it doesn't look as good in the video. PM or email if interested: sparkypinball at yahoo

» YouTube video

Black Video TV Cropped.jpg 25 KB

Sunday morning bump. I have 6 left.

#277 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I replaced all the lamps with Cointaker premium LEDs, and I definitely prefer the brighter look. I wasn't crazy about the two GI lamps above the mini-playfield, however. I tried softer whites, but I still don't care for the reflection on the plastic below. I put the incandescents back in. They're better, but there is still quite a bit of glare. Has anyone come up with a better way of handling those lights? I'm sure there must be one. Thanks.

I made a cardstock shield. I'm more concerned with the light shining through the words (mod) than lighting up the mini pf.

2 months later
#426 9 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Thaks for the tip. I did not know Home Depot sold magnets. What is the namd of them. I will try those magnets first with some double sided tape.
Thanks

I got mine at either Lowe's or Michael's (arts and crafts store). They are rectangles with a hole in the center, probably 3/16" thick . I hot glued, and now it works 99% of the time.

6 months later
#715 9 years ago

I always thought it was strange that the camera on the playfield didn't look like the camera in the show:

TZ Camera.jpgTZ Camera.jpg

4 months later
#1058 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Hi y'all.... I am looking for a nice custom TZ shooter rod.... can anyone help me?
(just in case my previous post was missed among all these rom discussion)

I have the Modfather shooter rod. You can get them from mezelmods.com.

Modfather TZ Rod.jpgModfather TZ Rod.jpg

3 months later
#1358 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Not sure. Never seen one before, and no results on google image. Post a pic here!

On my Google search, it was the first and third image.

TZ Slot Google Search.jpgTZ Slot Google Search.jpg

1 week later
#1397 8 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Is there really no Twilight Zone TV Series tie-in with the gumball machine? I noticed that in the TZ slot machine, they also use the Gumball Machine as a prominent icon. I understand Bally/Williams is the same company who made both the slot machine & pinball machine, but the slot machine came much later, and I doubt they would steal ideas from a pinball machine from the mid 90's...

No gumball machine connection to TZ episodes. Lawlor has explained he thought it was a cool idea. I would say the slot machine is referencing the pinball.

#1399 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

The slot machine is from TZ Episode, "The Fever", 1960.

Yes, but that's not what miamiredskin was asking. He was asking about the Bally slot machine Twilight Zone. There's a gumball machine on it. He was wondering why the slot machine would reference the pinball machine if there's no gumball connection to an episode.

2 months later
#1605 8 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

most people dont have patience, time, skill, or know where to source all the parts. I agree its a premium. Id be happy with tv that showed intro or clips

This one shows intros and clips. 6 to 8 minute highlights from about 14 episodes (about an hour of video). It doesn't look like a TV, so it's a little different. Available at both sparkypinball.com and mezelmods.com.

$119 on my website. Comes with a DK Pinball Power Tap.

TZ1_(resized).jpgTZ1_(resized).jpg

TZ2_(resized).jpgTZ2_(resized).jpg

#1606 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Do people really watch TV on tiny little 2" screens on their pinball machines anyway?

It's more of a novelty than "watching tv." I've sold more of the TSPP TV than any other title, and it's only a 1.7" screen.

2 months later
#1919 8 years ago

My TZ is a reimport, but I always forget unless the subject comes up. I have a US coindoor, but the decals and power to the transformer indicate reimport. As others have said, condition should be the only factor.

#1964 8 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so any tips on properly controlling that ball after it's shot out of the slot machine kickout? I've been mainly letting it hit my right flipper so it goes to my left but sometimes that's dangerous especially with powerball. I've been able to actually cradle it straight from the kickout but can't seem to replicate that each time. Tips for doing so?

Every game is different. On my game, a dead flip on the right flipper will send it nicely to the left flipper for a cradle. On my friend's game, a dead flip will bounce up to the left sling, so a drop catch (difficult) or live flip (unpredictable) is necessary.

2 months later
#2291 7 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

Now you need to get rid of those ugly original switches on the mini playfield!

^^This^^

#2293 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

What are the best options? Pics?
Thanks!
Lou

I tried linking to the specific product, which has several pics, but it keeps linking the previous product page. Scroll down to the "Updated! Twilight Zone mini playfield switch kit."

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/

1 month later
#2427 7 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

2) the game randomly resets into test mode. Not all the time but sometimes mid play.

Are you sure it's resetting into test mode? Or is it resetting, and you're seeing the boot screens, and then it goes back to the attract screens as if you just powered on the game? That's a common reset on WPC games. Resetting into test mode, like Coyote said, is not common.

2 weeks later
#2510 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmah:

Thanks! I was afraid that "drill it out" is pretty much the solution. Well, not too hard I guess, just an awkward area to work in (either with the drill or re-soldering the lamp if I have to pull everything out to get to the rivet)

You don't need to cut the lamp wires to take out the plastic. The lamp has a connector under the playfield you simply disconnect. No need to re-solder anything.

If you are in the Sacramento area, you should join the Sacramento Pinball Group on Yahoo groups. It's simply an email forum of Nor Cal collectors. Guys post things for sale, request tech help, parts wanted, etc. Someone in the area would surely rivet your lamp back to the plastic for you.

If you like to play, also consider the Folsom league, which meets every other Tuesday. You can find their info at powertothepinball.com

#2511 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmah:

Thanks! I was afraid that "drill it out" is pretty much the solution. Well, not too hard I guess, just an awkward area to work in (either with the drill or re-soldering the lamp if I have to pull everything out to get to the rivet)

You don't need to cut the lamp wires to take out the plastic. The lamp has a connector under the playfield you simply disconnect. No need to re-solder anything.

If you are in the Sacramento area, you should join the Sacramento Pinball Group on Yahoo groups. It's simply an email forum of Nor Cal collectors. Guys post things for sale, request tech help, parts wanted, etc. Someone in the area would surely rivet your lamp back to the plastic for you.

If you like to play, also consider the Folsom league, which meets every other Tuesday. You can find their info at powertothepinball.com

1 week later
#2608 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

The TV is one mod that always made me very curious, but the $200 pricetag always gave me pause.
Side note/fun fact- the Mini-PF lamp decal was both my idea and design concept...though Pinball Pimp created it and with his graphic software/printing tools has both created it and manufactured it.

I make the TSPP TV mod, and I have a similar "generic" TV custom painted by The Modfather that I'll be listing on Mezelmods. I started with 15, but they all sold out to customers waiting for it (can be used on TZ, Ghostbusters, TAF, Family Guy, South Park, or any game where a tv is appropriate).

I'm not sure if I'll be including the red LED power light or not. Some customers like it, while others think it looks out of place. Price without the LED would be the same as TSPP: $149. Price with the LED is $159, if I decide to keep it.

For TZ, I have a video file with highlights from 14 episodes that are featured in the game. The video is about 60 minutes before it repeats.

Generic_tv_with_LED 2 (resized).jpgGeneric_tv_with_LED 2 (resized).jpg

#2617 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

There's actual sixties looking TVs on ebay- I think I'll pass on a "generic mod" for $50 less. For my part, I'm weary of "generic" mods in pinball. Look at all the junked out TZs out there now- $5 rockets, $2 dolls, generic plastic TVs...

Aren't those Ebay tv's for $100 just slideshow tv's?

#2623 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

The one I bought plays 45 episodes of TZ, has sound and a 1.8" screen.

What was the price? How did it connect to the game for power?

#2629 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

$95. I sent the DVD collection to the seller with a list of episodes and they included the episodes I wanted in the TVs memory. It connects to a 110v source

Do you know what kind of processor it's using to play the video? How is it storing so much data? Does the 110v source power on when you power on the game? The power source came with the $95 price?

#2689 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

It arrived today. It can play music and show pictures too. It powers with a iphone like USB charger 110V. I will plug this into a remote controlled ZAP outlet to turn it off and on. The only issue with this TV is that upon start up it ALWAYS starts on the main menu. You then must toggle to the videos and hit the play button. This means that you'd have to slide your PF glass down just enough to access to the TV each time your turned on the game. A pain in the butt yea... but it's only $95, stores 45 episodes and has sound. It plays color TV too.
In the pics, I had not yet mounted the rabbit ears.

Thanks for the info! Still curious how it's processing the video and storing the files. Crazymuffin uses a Rasberry Pi, and my display has its own processor, but it's not as fast as an RPi. I'm assuming this display has its own processor, too, but the storage capacity puzzles me.

My TV plugs into the game's 5v, so it powers on with the game. It only holds about 60 minutes of video before it repeats, so I have highlights from 14 episodes playing.

This is pretty much the same as my TSPP TV, which I've been selling for 2 1/2 years (pictured below) I've sold close to 200 of the TSPP TV, and no complaints about the size, installation, or the way it plays. Many of the TSPP customers have asked for a regular TV for games like WPT, Sopranos, Dr. Who, TAF, SP, FG, GB, and even the upcoming Batman66, so this is what I have.

My price is inbetween the $95 ebay TV and Crazymuffin's RPi version, so I think it's good to have choices.

For $109, I also have an MDM with the black starfield plastic bezel. Plays the same 14 episode highlights. I've been painting the screw heads black for customers, and it fits nicely in the upper left corner of the mini playfield, hiding the back switch cover where the ball enters. I don't have my TZ right now, so I don't have a pic.

TSPP TV V2 Install (resized).jpgTSPP TV V2 Install (resized).jpg

#2728 7 years ago

I was unloading my TZ from my truck by myself today, and I'm pretty sure I tore my right bicep and at least strained my left bicep. Just got back from Urgent Care, and I see an Orthopedic surgeon next week. Very strange hearing the sound of walking on loose gravel in my arms and watching the muscles move around under the skin like worms! I'm extremely sore tonight, and I expect to be sore all weekend. Anyone have experience with a torn, partially torn, or strained bicep (between the bicep and elbow)?

#2747 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Yikes, Sparky! I know the feeling well. Almost exactly one year apart I partially tore each of my calf muscles. One side was a bit worse than the other. There's nothing worse than hearing that pop. The sad part is that when it happened the first time, I went to urgent care and all they did was give me some muscle relaxer as the doctor wasn't convinced it was torn. I truly think it's because he didn't want to order an X-ray to be done and to go into full diagnosis mode. He was half-assing it and I knew it during the appointment. He just kept calling it a sprain and didn't want to do anything further. Thanks Obama! The second one wasn't nearly as bad and it healed way quicker and looks 99% the way it used to(I had that one properly checked out as I insisted on it!). But the first one, my right side, looks a bit off in comparison.
They do heal pretty well and pretty quickly. You'll be surprised down the road when you're fully healed and think about how bad they were. Thankfully, you're doing it the right way and getting surgery done to repair them properly, although it sounds as if your tears are a bit more serious than mine were. Good luck with the recovery and make sure you do all your physical therapy properly, too. I know way too many people who give up on their PT because it hurts too much or it's too hard and let me tell you, they're paying for it these days.

Thanks Mike! I saw the orthopedic surgeon today. Probably going to have surgery in Oct to reattach the right bicep. The left is partially torn, so he said I can decide later if I want to have surgery at another time. They both bruised up pretty badly, but they're both starting to feel a lot better.

Time for a lift cart, Escalera, and whatever else is needed to avoid moving these bad boys around so much!

2 months later
#3008 7 years ago

New style video tv. 3D printing by Joe Zenkus. Hand-painted by Modfather.

20161202_124325 (resized).jpg20161202_124325 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 132.00
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=sparky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.