Topic Stats

• 7,373 posts
  • 552 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Mikespinball
  • Topic is favorited by 287 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,913 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20170328_2341432531(1) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.57.01 AM (resized).png
FJIMG_20190811_150319 (resized).jpg
TZ058 (resized).jpg
TZ057 (resized).jpg
TZ059 (resized).jpg
TZ056 (resized).jpg
TZ054 (resized).jpg
TZ055 (resized).jpg
TZ041 (resized).jpg
TZ040 (resized).jpg
TZ039 (resized).jpg
TZ029 (resized).jpg
TZ028 (resized).jpg
TZ022 (resized).jpg
TZ023 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

4 weeks later
#556 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hey guys -
After recreating the 'removing mini playfield' cabinet decal, I decided to recreate the 'leveling mini playfield' decal as well.
A couple questions for everyone -
(1) Where was this mounted? On playfield? In cabinet?
(2) If I recreate it, would you want the shaded 'dots' in the wood playfield to be exact, or should I apply a better halftone?
Cheers all - I'll post them here once they're both finished.

Mine is inside the cabinet...on the bottom. I can get a pic in a few days if you want it.

#568 4 years ago

Pretty sure my mini playfield leveling sticker is on the raised wood piece that sits inside the cab next to the transformer. Will confirm tomorrow.

1 week later
#574 4 years ago
Quoted from swedishc:

I lost all of my shopout pictures, so I am putting everything back by memory. So far, so good, but I can't find any pictures on theteardown.com for this plastic. Can someone tell me where this goes?
Thanks!

GS-TZ31-1765-33L.jpg 4 KB

It goes on the upper left of the mini-playfield...the notch is for the lamp.

2 months later
#713 4 years ago

The weld on my scoop was broken when I got mine (from the slot target ramming into it). Got the scoop re-welded and put in the re-enforced target. Probably took 100 games before that thing was bent back and now there is just a dull clunk when you hit that shot as the ball hits the scoop and target at the same time. Also, yeah - the target was launching balls straight into the left outlane.

tldr; I wouldn't recommend the re-enforced slot machine target.

2 weeks later
#734 4 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

Is the target the one from Pinball Resource, or from somewhere else? I've had the reinforced clock and slot greed targets in my game for more than 10 years, and neither one of them have bent.

IMG_1482.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I got mine from Marco.

1 month later
#843 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Put the black switch covers on, really like the look better than the drab gray.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Those do look good.

Did you intentionally duplicate the powerfield instruction signs? There are actually two different ones.

#846 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

When I got the game, the left one was cracked. Ordered a new one and that's what it looked like. Didn't know it would be different, guess I need to find the other. The right one is not original either as it's screwed in and not riveted.

What I meant is that the left one is entirely different. It should say: "Defeat the power by shooting the ball thru top of pyramid". Like this: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16416-2

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I must have spaced out when I ordered it. Funnier thing is that I didn't even notice it. Anyone need a brand new manga flip sign?

The sad part is that I just bought one last week and installed it. That's why I noticed!

#877 4 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Both of my flippers on the right side of my TZ occasionally cut out. I looked but my game has no flipper optos and the coils look new. I'm starting to think its the fliptronic 2 board. Has anyone had a similar problem with their machine?

I had an issue with mine where the upper right flipper would flutter for seemingly no reason. Got a new fliptronics board and it solved the problem. I wonder if I can just stick that board with the flutter into a 2 flipper game without issues?

1 week later
#889 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Here's a pic, and a test for folks -
Can you find the one insert that's not correct, or has something wrong to it?
57_G.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
..It shouldn't be TOO hard.. And it's not the Lock - that's green.

Hard to see everything clearly, but the second word in the Dead End insert does not look like the word "End" to me.

4 months later
#1338 3 years ago

Anyone know what type/size screw (and washers, if any) should be used on the habitrail leading to the powerfield? (It's affixed to a post that's between the left orbit and left ramp). Couldn't find it in the manual.

#1341 3 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

If you drop a pic I can easily check tonight since I have my playfield out.

It's the screw that screws into the orange post in the lower right of this pic.

tz.jpg

2 years later
#5049 1 year ago

Question for anyone who has switched to LEDs: which type of white did you use in the backbox, cool or warm? I'm working on mine right now but my translite is quite brown (maybe from cigarette smoke?) and it's making it hard for me to judge.

3 weeks later
#5301 1 year ago

jawjaw Your Twilight Zone looks incredible! Really clean and bright look. We actually just launched a kit for TZ (http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/kit-tz.htm) that looks remarkably similar to yours. For mine, I used post lights only on the upper playfield, have double spotlights on the slingshots (aiming both at the flippers and up the playfield), and also added a long strip in the back (which I recommend dimming most of the way down so it only adds a small bit of extra light).

The illuminated signs are genius. Having post lights right behind them does help, but yours is a whole other level.

What did you use in the streetlight bulb that shines down at the top of the upper playfield? I had a really hard time trying to get rid of glare from those.

TZ (resized).jpg

#5305 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I'm definitely NOT a fan of spotlights. Most of the time they block the ball view... I removed each and every spotlight from my machines.

Well yes, that's true...they are something to potentially get in the way.

Is there something else you use instead, or do you think it's worth the tradeoff of having a dark playfield?

#5307 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

For the mini playfield lamp, I tried several different kinds of bulbs. Brightness and glare was a big issue. I settled on 1smd frosted ice blue bulbs. There is still a little glare but I can live with it. That lamp could really use a diffuser to cover the bottom.

I ended up using 1SMD flex bulbs there, and pointing them upward into the lamp. It's not ideal, but it was better than anything else I could come up with.

Quoted from jawjaw:

Thanks! I used all Comet stuff, of course!

#5309 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Is it a common issue for the ball to fall of the right ramp when the upper playfield is lit? I'm not talking about the diverter catching the ball. Mine has a magnet and that works perfectly. This is when the ball should go straight across to the upper playfield. Mine is falling off halfway just about all the time unless ball is traveling very slow. The diverter strength seems to be the cause. When it dumps down to let the ball go past, it seems to be shaking the ball off the ramp. You can see it shake the ramp and upper playfield when it slams down.

I believe this was happening with mine years ago, but I can't remember now what the fix was for sure.

I think it might have been readjusting the habitrail. Try loosening the screw where it attaches to the upper playfield and see if you can get it to settle differently into place. Or just wait a few minutes...I'm sure you'll get a more concrete response fro someone with a better memory.

#5312 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Personally I use my eyes. TZ is my only game (?) that has LED GI and everything is lit fine.

Hardy har har. Do you find it to be equivalently lit compared to something like Game of Thrones or Star Wars?

#5314 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

God no...not even close. But those games are a bit too bright.

I think a lot of LED conversions are driven by modern Sterns. You start putting them next to older games and it becomes really noticeable.

I don't think modern Sterns are too bright when nothing is happening...it's mostly an issue for me when they start turning the GI on or off, or flasher effects that seem intent on blinding you.

#5327 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

With the mini playfield in place all the way back, the ramp is pretty much locked in with that one screw.

True, but it can still be both tight and misaligned at the same time.

I believe there is also a nut halfway across that keeps it in place? You can loosen this and adjust the rail outward or inward...or even bend it so the the habitrail is at a different angle.

Drat...I'm sorry I don't remember. I do think having a violent diverter can impact this as well. I would check the alignment of that as well so that hopefully it's as smooth as possible.

#5346 1 year ago

I like the hot glue, nice. I also always bend the wires on wedges before installing them, like this:

wedgewires (resized).jpg

I'd guess this works 95% of the time or more on the first try. You shouldn't have to fiddle around by wiggling bulbs once they're already in the socket.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ashburn, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside