IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rhampo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11680 2 years ago

Hi all, my slot machine stopped working a few days ago and I am in debug process now. I have a few questions for the collective:
1) When I measure the voltage at the input to the driver circuit it is 71V, while the manual's schematic say it should be 50V. Is this normal?
2) Does anyone have a "full" schematic of the driver board? The manual only shows an example for each solenoid driver. There is no information how to trace signals back from the power transistors (which I can find easily) to the IC driver and to the connector that goes to the controller.

Thanks very much for any advice!
Richard

#11683 2 years ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

Stopped working completely? or ball goes into the slot and you have to wait for ball search to kick it out?
1) 71v is fine. It will drop closer to 50v under load (solenoid activated). Sounds like the rest of the game is working, it's just the slot kickout?
2) You can always find copies of the manuals online. WPC games have the manual (game specific info) separate from the board schematics (common among games)
https://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Williams%20WPC%20Schematic%20manual.pdf
Go into the Diagnostics->Tests->Solenoid Tests and advance through to find the Slot Kickout to see if it's working at all. If it is then it may be a bad switch that tells the game to fire it. In which case you'd go Diagnostics->Tests->Switch Edges and see if the switch is working.

Thanks for the link to the full schematics - that is just what I need.
Yes I have run diagnostics and all the solenoids fire except the slot machine so I am sure it is either in the driver or the solenoid itself. Tonight I will cross wire another driver to the slot solenoid to see if it activates and also cross wire the slot driver to a known working solenoid to check both parts. It is most likely a bad transistor but I want to make sure before I take the board out because there are a crap-load of connectors on that board. I am a high voltage power electronics EE so I will have no problem finding and replacing the bad component now that I have the full schematics.

#11685 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Before doing the cross over tests, here's a few simple things to check (if you haven't already):
Check you have voltage at the coil - should be 50-70V?
Check that no wires have come off the coil lugs (this is a quite common issue on coils due to the vibrations from the plunger firing).
Check the resistance across the coil (as the coil wire could have a break in it)
If you've verified the above, then briefly ground the metal tab on TIP-102 transistor Q82 if the coil doesn't fire then you have a broken wire (violet-brown)/connector (J130-1) between the coil and the transistor. But if the coil fires then you've verified that all the wiring and coil is correct and the issue is on the driver board (most likely a transistor has failed open)

Couldn't get the coils to fire by grounding the transistor tab - but I did check the driver by crossover method and it is fine. The wiring is also fine but the coil measures open so I have ordered a new one. That should do it for me. Thanks to all who offered good suggestions!
Best Regards,
Richard

3 months later
#12191 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

Anyone have trouble with the diverter just before the Power mini playfield not always catching the ball (or not always opening at the right time)?
For example, the flipper (which is the correct coil) hits the ball up the right ramp. It loops around and comes back to the left over the wireframe. However, it either gets to the diverter before it opens (slams into it, sometimes bouncing off) or sometimes gets there after the divert has opened and already closed. In this case, it tends to open again.
I haven't found anything wrong and I'm speculating this can just happen because there's a single opto (just before the wireframe) that tells the pin when the ball crosses... but it doesn't know the speed.
This doesn't happen all the time either.
It seems to have started after I waxed the playfield, perhaps speeding up the ball...
Thoughts / Experiences appreciated!

This is a common problem. Many people install a magnet on the back of the diverter which helps to catch the steel balls (does not help on powerball - mine still bounces out 50% of the time).
I'd suggest to search this forum for "diverter magnet" - I am sure you can find pictures and other discussion.
Good luck
Richard

1 month later
#12282 1 year ago

Anyone know how to best adjust the gumball diverter? My diverter gets stuck periodically behind the inner rail (red arrow) and I have to take the glass off, get a long screwdriver and pop it loose again. Does the diverter have play left-right in its mounting? I want to move it a little right (green arrow) so that the arm will always rest on the inner rail and not be able to go behind it.
Thanks for any advice!
Richard

diverter (resized).jpgdiverter (resized).jpg
#12284 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Next time you have the long screwdriver in there. Bend the pole the diverter is mounted to over a little so it goes over the lane guide more. This will last a long time.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd - is it safe to bend the diverter pole from above the playfield with a screwdriver? Won't that stress the mechanism?

#12290 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I did it, worked great. Only need a little. Not enough to stress anything.
I looked it all over. Top and bottom. Was thinking of moving mech below, lane guide above. Dancing naked at midnight doing the sacred diverter dance.
Then as long as I had the screw driver in there anyway to unstick it. I thought, what the heck. Gave the shaft a shove near the top and was done with it.
LTG : )

Nice. Thanks for that image of you dancing naked with a screwdriver
I'll give it a try (bending the diverter with screwdriver - not dancing naked)!
Richard

7 months later
#13399 1 year ago

Does anyone know of a windows font that is close to the one used on TWILIGHT ZONE on the cabinet? I am making customized cupholders and want to use a similar font. I'll post pix when I complete the prototype. Thanks in advance!
Richard

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
8 months later
#14481 6 months ago

My clock motor driver board is kind of fried. Looks like capacitor leaked and took out the 7805 regulator. I will replace those tomorrow. Does anyone have the schematic for this board? It is not part of the 22 page WPC schematic that I have for TZ.
I am an EE so I like to know what the full schematic is when working on something.

Thanks in advance!

A0D20BF7-7B78-44E8-BDCD-4581DC93435C (resized).jpegA0D20BF7-7B78-44E8-BDCD-4581DC93435C (resized).jpegCB19D7EE-8C91-42FC-BD60-FE834DB575F6 (resized).jpegCB19D7EE-8C91-42FC-BD60-FE834DB575F6 (resized).jpeg
#14482 6 months ago

Never mind. Just found the game specific schematics in section 3.

4 weeks later
#14673 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Anytime! Post-Covid it feels like not enough pinball gatherings around here. Could be there are many and I’m not invited tho!
So if you do visit to support the Lions, GO LIONS!!! Do stop by! I added my current TZ last year and I love it. Pinsound is prob next! Traverse City and that entire northern Lake Michigan area is beautiful. We finally took our young son to Mackinac Island this August, and it was amazing. We stayed a couple extra days. We used to visit every fall.
[quoted image]

Williamston is home of one of my favorite breweries - Old Nation! Enjoy a pint for me

1 week later
#14677 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Consider both of these, and a couple others at Super Skill Shot. Awesome shooters. And you’ll love the topper, it’s fantastic. Like 4 different interactive features. A HEP TZ! Man, I love his pins. He’s an artist. I bought my HEP Indy earlier this year and I just sit and stare at it. For hours.
[quoted image]

OK I bought the really cool time swirl shooter rod for TZ (40mm size). When I installed it I realize I need a new spring, the old one is too weak for the greater mass of the new one. Anyone comment on which spring they use? .33? .35? .46? Or should I just buy one of each and experiment?

Thanks for any advice.
Best Regards,
Richard

#14679 5 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Per manual, page 2-37- Spring p/n 10-148-6, otherwise known as the "Brown" spring.

The brown spring is what was in there, works with a very low mass shooter. The swirling time shooter weighs twice as much and so even with full pullback the ball can't even make it up the ramp. I just looked at Marco and they have a spring assortment, one of each for like 6 bucks - so I am going to get that and try them until I find the one I like. Thanks!!

Richard

1 week later
#14708 5 months ago
Quoted from king_pin:

No problem! Did you have to replace your shooter spring? When I swapped, my old spring couldn't get the ball all the way up into the scoop. I had to swap for a stronger spring.
Looks great btw!

I just bought the same shooter rod - love it. I got the spring assortment from Marco and tried a few until I found one I liked. I have the Blue in now, but think I may want to go one softer - green I think. Springs are cheap - it was like $7 for a whole assortment.
Cheers!

1 week later
#14737 4 months ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Thats the exact symptoms I was getting with my game and it was the opto board. The Cap leaked and fried the traces, I replaced the cap but my board was toast for my skill levels to diagnose and fix so I bought a new opto board.
Also please check the clock motor board as it has the same cap which only a few months earlier blew taking out that board too.
I think the service life of these caps has been reached, I'd recommend looking into recapping these 2 boards even if you're not exhibiting issues yet.

My clock motor failed a few weeks ago and I traced it to a cap leaking on the motor control board - it also took out the 5V regulator chip on that board. Thanks for the heads up about the same caps being used elsewhere - I think I will order some caps and recap all the parts under the playfield.
What about motherboard(s) caps in the backbox? Anyone have to recap those?

Thanks!
Richard

1 week later
#14761 4 months ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

Topper just got installed, it looks amazing!
[quoted image]

Looks like you are an Ex-Detroiter- Go Red Wings!

Best Regards,
Richard

1 month later
#14840 3 months ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Quick question on the slot machine. I have noticed as of late the release of the ball out of the slot machine is hit or miss. Meaning sometimes it comes out nice and strong and other times it barely makes it out of there. Kind of surprised it is so random. Is there something about that mech that makes it so random like that? Guess i should just replace the solenoid, but want to make sure there wasn't something else I should be thinking about.

Definitely check coil mount to bottom of PF. Mine came loose 2 weeks ago. Like you describe, ball coming out weaker and weaker from the slot machine. One screw actually had fallen out and the other screw was loose. I had to repair the wooden holes (wood glue plus toothpicks), let it dry, then screw back the coil into the PF.
Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 9.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.50
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rhampo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=rhampo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.