IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramegoom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1635 8 years ago

New owner here, just added a TZ to my lineup. I will have a few questions as time progresses. What a game, seems you need an audible instruction coach dictating in your ear as you play the game...Lots going on there on the playfield(s).

Next, there are those modifications. Wow! What a selection of mod's. I have always been a fan of the Twilight Zone series, have seen every episode since day one, and can relate to the characters that wind up being featured in the game. That said, I'm about ready to mod it a bit. However, all of my current machines are bone-stock and mint condition, so I need to be convinced.

My first thought is, remove the bulb lighting in the back box and replace it with LED strips - will reduce the total wattage used in the machine and keep those power supplies running cooler. Could even use a fluorescent lamp similar to current production machines.

Anyway, I'm in learning mode, and could use some advice.
img12_(resized).jpgimg12_(resized).jpg

#1639 8 years ago

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. I actually wouldn't use fluorescent bulbs, as they're about as old-school as they get. But, LED strings seem to be a good substitute - as long as you use the right intensity.

I was thinking on trying to reduce OVERALL power usage by weaning-in LED's to replace incandescent bulbs. I just need to decide whether to use self-contained LED bayonet/wedge bulbs, or adapt the 5050 string LED's to work with the lighting needs.

I realize there are LED makeover kits available, but the problem I'm picking up on is when there are power sags or surges from solenoids and magnets, the LED's tend to flicker which would be a major annoyance. I don't know if anyone has addressed this issue yet. A regulated power supply to the LED's would likely solve any flickering issues.

The black socketed bulbs on the back box must all be the flashing lamps it seems. Those would be a shoe-in for flashing LED bulbs, but the rest seem to be general illumination for the translite. It would make sense to replace those lamps with LED's.

I will be digging deep into this machine since my background is electronic and mechanical design, so the inventor hat goes on.

#1649 8 years ago

OK I got the mod itch, so here's my first TZ mod. I'm using the coin-on-the-edge scene from A Penny For Your Thoughts. I have four coins that are applicable, so I hot-glued them to a metal plate. Here is the result:
first-model_(resized).jpgfirst-model_(resized).jpg

I might add a Roosevelt dime to the bottom edge.
Comments, suggestions?

#1651 8 years ago

Not sure where the best place would be to place it. And, since the bracket is large enough, I might go ahead and add the dime in the foreground. I'll have it installed *somewhere* tonight.

#1654 8 years ago

I'm leaning towards a coin graveyard scene with at least 6 coins. . But I need to re-think the dates; that episode aired in 1961 so the coins should be that or older. I was using a 1964 quarter, now I need to find an older one. All the other coins I have are 1947 or so.

Just trying to be authentic...

#1656 8 years ago

BlackKnight, you nailed it, I'm taking your advice verbatim. Great suggestions, thanks!

Stacked as close as I can get to the original layout, I used some commercial hot glue to bond the coins to a plated steel strip, and mounted it above the plastic cover. The coins are all dated 1941-1945 so they're authentic. Here's the assembly, ready to mount:
img2_(resized).jpgimg2_(resized).jpg

Positioned on the game as recommended. It mounted very securely using the locknut:
img1_(resized).jpgimg1_(resized).jpg

Screen shot of the coin tray from the 1961 segment:
coin-on-edge-penny_for_your_thoughts_season_2_1961_(resized).jpgcoin-on-edge-penny_for_your_thoughts_season_2_1961_(resized).jpg

Digging thru a bunch of old coins, I can replicate that coin tray...what a cool prop that would be! Hmmm...

#1659 8 years ago

I'm not sure what the correct dates are, but since the segment was aired in 1961, I can assume the dates on those coins were pre-61, and looking at the wear on the Liberty half dollars, probably 1940's thru 1950's. I have a National brass cash register in my game room that I restored and polish/clearcoated, then for years I have filled it with vintage money from the old days. All of the coins are old dates, even the bills. So I had plenty of coins to choose from. Here's the monster, and you can ring up as much as $7.99!
national-cash-register_(resized).jpgnational-cash-register_(resized).jpg

Those old silver coins are fairly cheap online, depending on the condition. For a prop, an old worn out coin would work just as well.

#1679 8 years ago

Hah, yeah, but can you think of a better way to display old silver coins?

2 weeks later
#1745 8 years ago

I'm new here, just got a TZ. What's the 3rd. magnet?

1 week later
#1772 8 years ago

What's the deal with every ball being a Power Ball? I set the game to "Factory" and powerball on 1st. ball OFF, yet every ball is the somewhat obnoxious POWER BALL callout including the first ball every time. What am I doing wrong? Or maybe a sensor is out of whack? No error codes.

Anyone?

#1785 8 years ago

I will open my machine up and post some pictures. Those tiny Molex connectors tend to lose their contact pressure - and the tin plated pins tend to oxidize - so removing them completely is a good choice. I went thru that on some Eddy board connectors on other machines.

#1792 8 years ago

Trough Ball Sensor adjustment. I got the sensor within maybe .030" from the ball and it senses correctly. Here's what it looks like:
img02_(resized).jpgimg02_(resized).jpg
img01_(resized).jpgimg01_(resized).jpg
img03_(resized).jpgimg03_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#1959 8 years ago

Take a close look at that chute. I find the same problem exists, and after further inspection, there are two broken welds on the chute. this would cause unusual launches from that chute, being as it flexes differently each time.

Time to disassemble and tack new welds on the stainless steel chute.

1 week later
#1996 8 years ago

Wouldn't be the same coil. But, if the last digits refer to the ohms rating, a 900 ohm coil would exhibit 10% more magnetic flux compared to a 1000 ohm coil.

Probably a bit stronger pull made the difference.

#2013 8 years ago

Another real handy tool to have is a 1/4 in. extra-long nut driver. For that matter, you will eventually use 5/16" and 11/32" but the 1/4" is widely used. Longer (6 in) reach is very useful in certain spots.
nutdriver_(resized).jpgnutdriver_(resized).jpg

#2020 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

AE-24-900. The number 24 refers to the gauge of wire and the number 900 refers to the number of windings, so yes those two coils are very similar....

Thanks, I stand corrected. I ASSumed the 900 was ohms, it's not.

That makes sense to label the coils this way, but there is no way to verify the specs if the label has burned off or is missing. A quick ohm-reference chart would be helpful for various coils.

Then there are the AC coils...different specs altogether with lower turns-ratio. Anyone ever chart pinball coils?

#2037 7 years ago

Have a question. I am looking for a stock cabinet woofer for my TZ, seems the original speaker paper is shredded. Just want to replace it with the standard woofer.

Who carries these, or does anyone have one to sell?
speaker_(resized).jpgspeaker_(resized).jpg

#2040 7 years ago

^^Thanks for the replies. Should have checked Marco from the start. Got it on order.

1 month later
#2203 7 years ago

I just rebuilt the clock boards in my TZ machine. I found correct optical switches at Mouser - conventional phototransistor optical switch, but the leads are short, so I used a machined pin IC socket on the board to mount the switch. Front board uses elevated optos, the rear board uses flush-mount optos, but they're all the same basic switch.

Also, converted to high output LEDs for the lighting. Simple to do; change the zero ohm resistors out for 470 ohm resistors. You only need to determine which pin is positive, which is negative, on the board.

Check for cold solder joints, corroded jumper pins and look for burned resistors. The boards are very easy to repair.

#2205 7 years ago

There is, you can use the 12 volt midget bayonet socketed bulbs. I tried that, but wasn't bright enough, so I removed the sockets and soldered the LEDs directly to the board. Simple procedure to replace those parts. Be sure you use a desoldering machine, or braided solder wick when removing the components.
tzpcbmods_(resized).jpgtzpcbmods_(resized).jpg

#2209 7 years ago

You should remove D1 thru D4 and replace them with 470 ohm resistors. When you install the LEDs, be sure the anode (long lead) of each is placed on the board properly (I put a red dot on each anodegv4 location to properly install them).

Here's the assembly with sockets and diodes prior to the mod.; I tried red and blue LED wedge bulbs. Not bright enough.
tz-led-bulbs_(resized).jpgtz-led-bulbs_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#2250 7 years ago

The power ball sensor detects the absence of steel when parked in the exit of the shooter lane. When the ball is launched, the game will indicate "Power Ball" if that sensor does not sense a steel prior to launch.

The trough also uses an Eddy sensor assembly, located just past the trough switch. When the ball travels through the trough, it contacts that switch. If the Eddy sensor does not sense a steel ball immediately after the switch, the game assumes "Power Ball". If it senses a steel ball though, the game will operate normally.

An Eddy sensor at the shooter lane which is defective or positioned improperly will either tell the game that EVERY ball is a power ball, or it will never sense the power ball at launch.

In the trough, a sensor that's defective or positioned improperly will likely never recognize the power ball in play.

The shooter pickup has two wires on it, and a short cable. At the end of the cable is a tiny connector which is known to fail. On my TZ, I cut off the connector and soldered the two wires directly to the pins on the Eddy sensor PC board, to eliminate a potential connector failure.

trough_sensor_(resized).jpgtrough_sensor_(resized).jpg
shooter_sensor_(resized).jpgshooter_sensor_(resized).jpg
shooter_position_closeup_(resized).jpgshooter_position_closeup_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2310 7 years ago

Homemade Clock Board Tester. It tests all 8 optos and four lamps:
tz-clock-tester_(resized).jpgtz-clock-tester_(resized).jpg

#2313 7 years ago

I installed a cointaker kit in mine. It does brighten it up considerably, but if you're an epileptic, you're in for a rough ride...amazing the strobing effect when you hit the jackpot.

There is some merit to the subdued incandescent lighting in certain places vs. LEDs. Still, I converted all of my pins for the benefit of lower power consumption, and it definitely does the trick with LEDs. I can now easily put six pins on a single 20 amp circuit.

4 weeks later
#2396 7 years ago

It took me almost 20 years to find the right TZ for my collection. The Ghost Busters is just an addition to the collection.

DO NOT give up your pins - just keep on adding, justifying, over-spending and rationalizing. Take it from an expert...

1 week later
#2422 7 years ago

Switch with the wire broken is a slam-tilt switch. You don't need it.

It's purpose was to detect a slam on the body of the machine, such as a kick to the bottom or lift-and-drop the game during play. If the switch contacts connect, it will initiate a tilt.

4 weeks later
#2595 7 years ago

Here's a coin recreation I added that duplicates the edgewise coin group of the original episode "Penny For Your Thoughts". Used authentic silver coins as seen in that coin box scene:
img2 (resized).jpgimg2 (resized).jpg

In place:
img1 (resized).jpgimg1 (resized).jpg

Original screenshot:
coin-on-edge-penny for your thoughts season 2 1961 (resized).jpgcoin-on-edge-penny for your thoughts season 2 1961 (resized).jpg

#2624 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I got a 60" TV and the full TZ DVD collection... I'm thinking about modding my TZ by building the biggest topper ever

Hey I think you have something there. Use the back box of a WOZ, and have it play sequential season after season Twilight Zone clips, replacing the standard backglass with a flat screen LED monitor. You could even default the still shot with an exact image of the original backglass.

Hmm....

#2626 7 years ago

...You'd never leave your pin. With episode after episode of Rod Serling's creations, you could sit and watch a Twilight Zone Marathon any time. Pause it, play a game or two, then resume watching the shows.

Purpose-built TV right at home with the pinball machine. Use a large computer monitor and stream the episodes on thumb drives to keep it compact. Put each season on a thumb drive, and swap drives whenever you get the urge. No need for a DVD, the computer can do it all nicely.

I like it. A lot.

1 month later
#2913 7 years ago

***Teaser***

Stay tuned on the clock board. I have a new design I'm working on, using the "carpet lighting" effect, with 12 LEDs. The illuminated clock will look just like the backglass clock image, with even and full lighting on the entire face of the clock. The prototype looks much better than any current lighted clock face. Pics to follow.

#2939 7 years ago

NEW PRODUCT. In my efforts to fully and evenly light the clock, I came up with this design which is considerably different than other clock mods available. This will be supplied as a replacement front PC board for your standard clock system, with "carpet lighting" LEDs - 12 of them - which now evenly illuminate your clock face. Because it's direct lighting, the excess light doesn't spill much out of the clock housing. See image below.
white_LED_board (resized).jpgwhite_LED_board (resized).jpg

Here's the deal: I need four volunteers - you must be capable of taking your own clock apart and swapping in the new board. It plugs right in. I will send four beta test units to the first four who PM me with an address and in exchange, all I ask is that you install it and send me your opinions and comments. I have tried a few different designs and this one seems to be the best of the best. The finished product will be offered with a choice of colors (bright white, incandescent white, blue, green or red). It uses standard strip lighting trios so it's pretty simple. I am finding that the bright white makes the clock pop beautifully, although I have a blue unit in my machine right now, and it's growing on me.
blue_LED_board (resized).jpgblue_LED_board (resized).jpg

Here's the board, which will be supplied with new standoffs and an "ogeesis" ring that you will probably lose when you remove the original one from your clock.
new_board01 (resized).jpgnew_board01 (resized).jpg
new_board_hardware (resized).jpgnew_board_hardware (resized).jpg

Remember, first four volunteers and thanks for looking.

#2941 7 years ago

Altogether different than the Ingo board. This uses only one color of LED and a lot of them. Its lighting makes the clock face look like the one printed on the backglass where it's evenly lit.

Just another variation of clock mods...

#2942 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

NEW PRODUCT. In my efforts to fully and evenly light the clock, I came up with this design which is considerably different than other clock mods available. This will be supplied as a replacement front PC board for your standard clock system, with "carpet lighting" LEDs - 12 of them - which now evenly illuminate your clock face. Because it's direct lighting, the excess light doesn't spill much out of the clock housing. See image below.

Here's the deal: I need four volunteers - you must be capable of taking your own clock apart and swapping in the new board. It plugs right in. I will send four beta test units to the first four who PM me with an address and in exchange, all I ask is that you install it and send me your opinions and comments. I have tried a few different designs and this one seems to be the best of the best. The finished product will be offered with a choice of colors (bright white, incandescent white, blue, green or red). It uses standard strip lighting trios so it's pretty simple. I am finding that the bright white ...

All four are claimed, thanks for the response. Looking forward to your comments.

#2944 7 years ago

I'll be putting together a pictorial and set of instructions for clock maintenance. Stay tuned.

#2954 7 years ago

I have used synthetic grease for my clock gears, and it quieted the noise considerably. I recommend "Super Lube" available on Amazon. It won't oxidize and harden like Lithium grease. Actually it's the best there is. I use that grease and oil on antique slot machines and it works great.

The same lube is available in oil form, which can be used on levers and hinges as well.

#2972 7 years ago
Quoted from goud:

I'd love to try ypur beta!

I put four of them out there, and they got snapped up within half an hour. No more to test right now. They're being installed, tested, and the people who have them will post their comments.

If it's favorable, I'll post a link and a big discount when available. Hmm, maybe Black Friday if I get some feedback this week...

1 month later
#3099 7 years ago

In stock and now available: This is an alternative replacement to the factory clock board. All-new construction, it uses the "carpet" effect to illuminate the face of the clock without spilling outside of the housing. The standard assembly is fitted with white LEDs. Blue, green, and red are optional.

The new design is fitted with 12 high intensity LEDs which flood the clock face insert evenly with illumination, while using less power than the original four incandescent bulbs and creating MUCH less heat.

Plug-and-play system completely replaces your original, heat-damaged opto clock board assembly using current-design opto switches. Several prototypes have been tested by TZ owners, and documented on some previous posts in this thread - check it out.
board_assembly01 (resized).jpgboard_assembly01 (resized).jpg
img06-modded_led_clock_brightness (resized).jpgimg06-modded_led_clock_brightness (resized).jpg

#3103 7 years ago

$84.95 retail. However, pinsiders get it for $70 shipped. You need to PM me for that deal.

Makes your clock light up completely natural and even, and can be special-ordered in blue, green or red.

3 weeks later
#3179 7 years ago

Trough sensor at the end of the ball trough. It's not close enough to the parked ball, and thinks that every ball is non-metallic.

1 week later
#3213 7 years ago

Ceramic balls are "fired" like clay products, under intense heat, to cure the material. Then they are ground between two abrasive plates until the size is reached. Then polished under those parallel plates, in a bath of oil.

If there is any impurity in the material, it would burn off during the firing process. Impurities would show up as dark patches or inclusions. The firing process makes the material a pearly-white with no coloring.

Try using a toothbrush with Comet cleanser on the ball - I'd guess it'd take the dark areas right off. I'm pretty sure they boil the ceramic in an acid to clean it.

4 months later
4 weeks later
#4528 6 years ago

For your clock: If you are looking for the brightest, most evenly lighted system available in the US:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4537

#4533 6 years ago

Here's the US-made version. Check out the illumination. Lighted like the clock on the backbox art:
white_LED_board (resized).jpgwhite_LED_board (resized).jpg

#4538 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

How these compare to Ingo's?

12 LEDs vs 4 LEDs. The extra lights cover the clock face with even lighting rather than hot spots. Visible difference.

The Ingo board has a number of bells and whistles added, but functionally, they're identical.

#4560 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

...and it is the only board that actually corrects the inherent signal problem that the original Bally design had.

Not an inherent problem, but rather a "potential" problem. If it were inherent, every single Twilight Zone clock would have failed early on. IMPO, the problem is created by the excess heat built up from the incandescent bulbs - four of them - that cause the internal temperature to rise above the maximum ratings of the opto switches - which were rated at 85degC (operating temperature) back then. The board temperature would rise above 110degC, and possibly above 150 degrees which explains the scorched PC board behind the bulbs. The board interconnect takes a hit as well because of the heat - the terminals lose connectivity and pick up resistance due to temperature derating, leading to a potential "clock is broken" failure.

Remove the heat by eliminating the filament bulbs and replacing them with LEDs and the problem goes away. The current-day opto switches are more robust than their obsolete predecessors and it would be very rare to see a clock failure using new technology. Any added circuitry really won't improve the odds of having a heat-related component failure since the underlying cause gets addressed with heat reduction.

There are likely hundreds of machines that have not had an error in the last 20 years - probably because the lamps burned out a long time ago.

So, inherent, no. Potential, yes. The LEDs alone provide corrective measures by eliminating damaging heat.

5 months later
#5099 6 years ago

Here is what consistent lighting looks like, more natural and lit evenly. This is lit with 12 white LED's. Looks like a clock should, no hot spots, and matches the clock on the backglass:

white_face01 (resized).jpgwhite_face01 (resized).jpg

#5138 6 years ago

I have a laser cutter that can handle 12 x 18 inches. I'm sure I can do that part. Let me know if you need it done.

#5203 6 years ago

Step-by-step instructions to remove your clock board:

http://www.installationinstructions.com/103501.pdf

#5207 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

....Trick is to make sure clock is at 12:00 before starting and not losing the pins when taking the hands out.

Or the ojesus clip.

#5257 6 years ago

Absolutely lower power consumption with LED's. Consider the GI lighting - look at the connectors that have had years of abuse due to excessive current. That "charring" would be non-existent with LED's in place of incandescent.

I have six pins on one 20 amp circuit with room for at least two more, BECAUSE I had replaced all incandescent bulbs on all the machines with LED's.

In fact, EVERY light in my game room is LED converted. Power consumption is minimal by comparison.

#5261 6 years ago

You'll find much less connector-terminal aging, discoloration, and heat-related problems on the latest version of pinball machines. LED's play a significant role in longevity of the recent technology. Simple physics here.

Your 90's pins have already been thru the aging process. LED's slow the further aging in a big way.

Now, if some new technology could produce more efficient magnetic solenoids and coils, that would be mah-vellis. Imagine future pinball machines being powered by a simple wall-wart transformer.....

#5265 6 years ago

I own a company that specializes in automotive engine-bay wiring, using OEM spec connectors. We use a huge variety of different connectors, seals and terminals, and miles of automotive wiring on a daily basis. Every connector allowed to be used by the automotive industry has a spec attached to it and every spec has to be considered when designing a particular connector for a particular application. We build around 16,000 wiring harnesses per month of varying complexity.

There is a physical characteristic for ALL connectors that is called a "Temperature De-rating Curve" that especially relates to our pinball machines. The unsealed Molex connectors that are customarily used on our pins are generally, and always have been, at the bottom of the desirability for commercial or industrial use, since the terminal design is simplistic and resistance factors are sort of off the chart.

The de-rating curve is consistent with temperature rise. So, the hotter the connector gets, the less current it is able to conduct, as the resistance in its connection induces heat. They sort of self-destruct as they warm up. Also, the more high-current terminations within a single connector, the higher the heat factor rises, and the higher the heat, the less current they are capable of conducting. A snowball effect that applies to every connector within the machine to some extent.

To put it in perspective, if a typical terminal connection can handle 10 amps at 25 deg.C, it would only handle 8 amps at 80 deg.C, 4 amps at 100deg.C and 2 amps at 140deg.C. Eventually the heat factor makes that terminal connection incapable of carrying any current without meltdown. Factor in that de-rating by the number of high current connections within that same connector, and you see where I'm going with this. Induced temperature along with ambient temperature play into the mix. This is exactly why we see so many connectors melted down, discolored (nylon material is one of the worst, I won't even go into that), and eventually failing.

IMPO, I would always use LED lighting whenever possible, if for no other reason, to preserve the life cycle of the machine and its components.

...Off soapbox now...

3 weeks later
#5461 6 years ago

Be careful on setting the coil stop too tight. If it has zero play, you will create problems later. As the coil heats up, it expands, creating shear tension on the mounts. Eventually, the mounts crack and fail.

Always allow a slight amount of clearance.

1 week later
#5504 6 years ago

Those sensor circuit boards use low-rent trimpots which are way too sensitive. A slight movement and they're out of adjustment and the sensor won't trigger. Best thing to do (outside of replacing the circuits with the costly and hard to get auto-adjust boards) is to replace the single-turn trimpot with a ten-turn trimpot. Problem solved.

#5507 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Uh..
TZ's (from-factory) prox sensors don't have trim-pots.

I guess I never paid much attention to mine. Theatre of Magic is the only machine I've had problems with on those. Thanks for the info. Now I gotta go and look...

#5527 6 years ago

Also, keep a grip on that drive pin that links the minute hand. It's a 1 in. long, 1/16 in. diameter pin that is almost impossible to pick up once you drop it. Place a towel on your playfield, and put all the loose parts on it so they won't roll off into never-never-land.

#5531 6 years ago

I add synthetic grease to the gears, mostly to reduce the gear clash noise. Nylon gears technically don't require lubricant, but the synthetic "Super Lube" doesn't harden and stays in a somewhat fluid state. Putting it on the fast-moving gears keeps the noise down, and also adding a .030 in. shim washer inside the driven shaft keeps the axial movement down to a minimum, further reducing gear train noise.

Start with a squeaky-clean gear drive and you won't see a whole lot of dirt attraction there.

#5540 6 years ago

If you are planning on disassembling your clock, I am looking for TWO volunteers - beta testers - who would be interested in installing and evaluating a new design clock face. Installing this would involve removing the clock hands, hardware, clock face and lens, then replacing the clock face and lens with the beta version.

This clock face assembly is an entirely new product etched onto a mirror, and does not use the conventional decals.

It would require use of your non-stock (LED) clock board with between 4 and 12 LED's lighting the clock face, so you must have already converted your clock to a new-style LED system.

First two forum members who PM me will be on board.

#5541 6 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

If you are planning on disassembling your clock, I am looking for TWO volunteers......
First two forum members who PM me will be on board.

OK, deal is gobbled up. I have the two volunteers and will be getting this thing up and running.

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#5644 6 years ago

Close-up
j120-121 (resized).jpgj120-121 (resized).jpg

#5651 6 years ago

Actually there's quite a bit of fudge factor, since the opto light path is way at the top outside end of the device. If the interrupter hits in the rectangular window, trimming even as much as 1/16" off the end won't affect the location at the interrupter window.

#5658 6 years ago

If you use the grease-version of Super Lube, by nature, the shafts will flow with lubricant by "wicking". Applying grease to the gear teeth will quiet the action considerably, with no real downside. Just don't use too much as it would tend to cake up.

Running the gears dry tends to make the clock very noisy. Noise is friction, friction makes wear, so reducing the noise reduces wear.

Since the wear of the gears is nylon on nylon, everything should technically wear evenly - but will still wear out in time.

#5661 6 years ago

Yes. The synthetic grease has a low viscosity, so it will climb while it's in motion.

#5663 6 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease (definitely have an OCD! )

Uh, that's C D O. Keep it alphabetically correct and in order...!

#5673 6 years ago

I believe there should be 3 balls in the trough, and 3 in the gumball machine. If you have four in the trough, it will launch two instead of one.

2 weeks later
#5793 5 years ago

That transformer looks more like a converter, 240 to 120 or 120 to 240v, probably because it has a center tap (unused).

3 weeks later
#5860 5 years ago

Manual is a photocopy. You can see the outline of the circular punch-hole marks near the binding.

2 months later
#6111 5 years ago

SOUND BOARD INTERNAL FAILURE

Looks like my machine shat the bed. Won't boot properly (comes up four players, no start action, no pinball launch), and this is what I get.

Anyone else have experience with this error? I ran the manual sound test, all is well and every sound is correct. Nothing burnt on the sound card, connectors appear to be good, no cold solder joints.

_1010552 (resized).JPG_1010552 (resized).JPG

#6113 5 years ago

It wouldn't boot properly to the "free play". Instead it would start up as four players "00 00 00 00" but no ball trough launch. ALso, the "Testing" screen seemed to take an unusually long time to run.

So I went thru all of the connectors, checked for overheated terminals, and re-seated all socketed chips on the sound board. Overall, it looks pretty good inside the back box. So I performed the factory reset just to be on the safe side.

It now appears to be working (didn't get the sound failure display), but haven't fully tested it yet.

On the main PC board, a couple of the power caps seem to bulge a bit, so I'm going to re-cap the electrolytics for starters. Then I'll look at the ball handling solenoids and see if there is any odd wiring issues.

That's what I have so far. I'll report back once I get off the damn phone and get back to reality....

#6117 5 years ago

My variation of that mod:
img1 (resized).jpgimg1 (resized).jpg
img2 (resized).jpgimg2 (resized).jpg

The actual scene:
coin-on-edge-penny for your thoughts season 2 1961 (resized).jpgcoin-on-edge-penny for your thoughts season 2 1961 (resized).jpg

#6120 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What’s the plastic under the coins in picture #2?

Actually a metal plate. I matched the original coins and dates as best as I could, used clear epoxy to mount the coins in the same relative position as in the episode. Considered making a complete coin box to clone that image, but no place to put it inside the machine. Hmm...maybe a topper or back box feature?

#6123 5 years ago

Ver. 94CH game ROM. I did a factory reset: Whenever I go into the slot machine or piano, it starts Lost In The Zone multiball.

Does the default LITZ setting change that back to normal, or are there other settings that are needed to bring the game back to normal?

Talk about racking up points...can't imagine why you'd want that going. One ball could last all day....

#6127 5 years ago

The CH was in the machine when I got it.

Anyone have a binary download for the H code handy? Binary or hex, either way I can burn it.

Thanks!

1 month later
#6348 5 years ago

I want to upgrade/replace my speakers - they sound like they're under water and I believe they're original equipment.

Looking for suggestions based on your experience. What do you recommend?

3 weeks later
#6454 5 years ago

Troubleshooting the gumball machine. The motor doesn't run during any of the tests, and the error message tells me to check the Geneva switch.

Switch checks OK. Wiring to the motor checks OK. So, after referring to the schematic, I'm leaning toward problems with Q31, Q32 or U3 which relate to the motor drive circuit.

Anyone here ever see an issue with these, relating to the gumball machine motor? I'll probably go ahead and replace all three because it's such a PITA to remove the driver board. Once it's out, I'll probably re-cap the board as the big caps are slightly bulging on the tops.

4 months later
#6856 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

A live & learn moment for me. I am posting so hopefully someone else may avoid the same mistake. I should have started with some simple green or something lighter first to remove the glue residue....[quoted image]

I have a couple of prototype "mirror" clock faces and also the clear lens for the front of the clock if you are looking for something different. These are cut from an acrylic mirror, where the light illuminates the characters on the face:
tz-clock-lenses (resized).jpgtz-clock-lenses (resized).jpg

#6858 5 years ago

Here is the Twilight Zone clock face with the standard insert using the blue 12-LED carpet lighting board.

tz face (resized).jpgtz face (resized).jpg

Lettered board in place:

mirror_clock_assembly (resized).jpgmirror_clock_assembly (resized).jpg

1 month later
#6967 5 years ago

A leaky diode within the bridge rectifier can cause that. Also, an electrolytic cap that lost its capacity would be suspect.

When in doubt, replace the bridge recs and filter caps.

2 months later
#7149 4 years ago

NOTE: When you remove the chip, pay attention to the notch on one end of the chip. INSERT THE NEW CHIP IN THE SAME EXACT WAY.

Since the chip is concentric, you can easily put it in backwards, which will result in smoking the chip and permanent damage.

Always note where that notch is, and insert the new chip with the notch on the same side. Normally, the silk screening on the PC board shows the direction of that notch. Also, the socket that the chip is inserted into will have its own notch on one end only. And usually all other socketed chips lie on the PC board in the same direction with notches all on the same ends.

Read the above twice so you understand that doing it wrong will destroy the new chip.

1 month later
#7271 4 years ago

I went with LCD on all of my pins. I like the pixel "smoothing" that goes along with LCD, as compared to LED. And the LCDs run cooler and use less power.

More a matter of preference I guess.

2 months later
1 month later
2 months later
#7778 4 years ago

I packed my gearbox with synthetic white grease, mainly to silence some of the clatter noise. Technically, the gears don't need lube, but when they wear, they get noisy.

1 week later
#7844 4 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

.... missing parts of the coin op mechanism and appears to be only a "free play" machine per the software. Is this the way they came or did someone strip out part of the coin mechanism? Running version 9.2[quoted image]

I have a complete door with coin mechs, button switch and harness available if you're looking for one. Has a chunk of the coin return bezel broken off, see images.

door-original (resized).jpgdoor-original (resized).jpg
#7845 4 years ago

EDIT Wrong inside pic. Here's the correct inside image:
20200112_101731 (resized).jpg20200112_101731 (resized).jpg

#7849 4 years ago

Those big caps look to be a bit parabolic on the top. Time to replace them all. And the regulator definitely took some heat, possibly drifting from 5V. Bridges look like they've either been replaced or re-flowed.

#7855 4 years ago

Removing the large caps requires loads of patience and plenty of solder wick. And, a 100 watt soldering iron minimum. Or a Weller soldering gun as a backup.

You wick the solder out once the pad it fully heated and solder all melted, then you re-solder and do it again. Repeat until you can see daylight thru the plated hole. Wiggle the component until you see movement. Sometimes added heat along with non-stop wiggling will shake it loose.

Painstaking and long winded, but it does work. I've done it dozens and dozens of times over the years.

1 month later
#8239 4 years ago

12 LED clock board that provides "carpet lighting".

This one lights the clock face completely, like the clock seen on the translite:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CLK001P

3 weeks later
#8384 4 years ago

Check out these two "alternate" TZ clock faces. Made from acrylic mirror material. Falls into the mod category.

tz-alt (resized).jpgtz-alt (resized).jpg

1 month later
#8592 3 years ago

The best thing you can do is solder the two proximity sensor wires to the pins on the prox board. Remove and eliminate those connectors. The failure rate is astronomical.

3 months later
#8983 3 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

gameroom designed a clock board and sells it through Pinball life. I was lucky enough to be a tester. It works great and matches the LED's in my machine.
https://www.pinballlife.com/twilight-zone-clock-pcb-assembly.html

Marco sells them as well. Carpet lighting with 12 LEDs.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CLK001P

2 months later
#9145 3 years ago
Quoted from marc72:

Now that the Ingo clock boards have turned into unobtanium, does anyone have any experience with the other replacement boards out there? I was specifically looking at the Caspers Electronics board. Any thoughts?
-Marc

What do you need to know? I designed it.

board_assembly01 (resized).jpgboard_assembly01 (resized).jpg

#9148 3 years ago

The opto design flaw was due to inferior semiconductor materials used on the original 1990s components. Electronics have come a long way since those days. The adaptation of RoHS (non Pb content) has forced semiconductor design to accommodate higher temperatures for normal operation.

Current design opto couplers have overcome the reliability issues. Also, one of the biggest problems with the original clock board was the use of four socketed incandescent lamps mounted parallel to the circuit board; they collectively produced excessive heat which damaged the glass epoxy PC board material and copper traces, and prematurely aged the opto couplers, resulting in electrical failure.

That's all been prevented by the use of LEDs. This design uses 12 LEDs to evenly backlight the clock face, with minimal heat being generated. They have been in operation for years now, with near zero defects. The simple design is efficient, without the use of additional components and poses no issues with setting failure codes.

#9150 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

So my TZ came with a Rottendog clock board. It seems like the company takes a lot of heat on Pinside but honestly I have never had a bad product from them. I did notice that your board design has more LEDs installed. Is it safe to assume more light? I would like my clock to be a little more flashy if possible. Do you have a video of it in action?

The 12 LEDs blanket the light across the entire clock face, creating a very well lit clock, much better than the illumination of 4 LEDs - kind of matches the clock on the backbox graphic. Then I produced some variations on the clock face using mirror material, different characters, etc. I don't have a video, but could put one up. The clock face lights up nicely. White LEDs are the standard, but I have done other colors in the past. Blue seems to be a popular alternative.

mirrored-variations (resized).jpgmirrored-variations (resized).jpg

1 month later
#9474 3 years ago

How would a magnetic reed switch work with the powerball?

1 month later
#9682 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I am still struggling to figure out how to keep my clock from faulting. I have taken it apart and cleaned the opts on the front face. It seems to test okay and it resets fine at the startup of every game. However when it is activated during a game in clock mods it seems to fault and stays at a weird spot (I will try to catch it, maybe it is the same spot every time). It doesn't really effect game play....

Killerrobots: If you want to try a "loaner" clock board with the 12 LEDs, let me know. You're local (I'm in Loveland) and we build that clock circuit in-house.

1 week later
#9774 3 years ago

This is what you need to pack the gearbox
superlube (resized).jpegsuperlube (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#10107 3 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Well it doesn't seem that Ingo is producing his LED clock boards any longer (at least he's not responding to any messages claiming otherwise) so I'm curious if anyone's had positive experiences with other boards besides his? I see this one on Marco's website: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CLK001P

Shameless plug here for the Marco part. I invented it. Hundreds in operation. If you want that clock face to pop, 12 LEDs is the only way. It'll match the translite clock.

#10112 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

ramegoom, does your board work with the LED OCD GI board?

It won't work correctly with the OCD board as I understand it, since it wasn't designed around that option. I'm not sure how that board functions, so I haven't tested it.

It was designed to work properly with the factory system.

#10114 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Is there a reason you couldn't just make the LEDs and power circuitry part of the board, instead of having to solder on a single section of 5050 LED strip? That, and the lack of compatibility with the GIOCD is why I didn't get it.

Reason I did it that way was to fill requests for different color LEDs. Some people want blue, some red, and even a few green. Simple procedure to remove the 3-LED strip and replace it with a different color.

If the LEDs were mounted on the surface, I'd have to keep several versions on the shelf. And, SMT assemblies are generally designed to be done in multiple production, i.e. maybe 200 or 300 boards at a time. Lots of overhead right there.

RGB LEDs are less desirable because the light output is diminished when combining the mix to make a specific color. So individual 5050 LEDs are much more robust, and when you multiply by 12, they produce lots of light.

Not sure what the GIOCD does - I assume it PWMs the LEDs to taper the outputs for both rising and falling illumination. If so, the system just might work with the 12 LED system. Never tried it though.

#10117 3 years ago
Quoted from harig:

GIOCD rectifies the AC to DC and creates some smoothing/fading via PWM
As the output is pulsed DC signals it depends on the orientation of the 5050 LED stripes on the board if they work or not (I assume you do not have a bridge rectifier on your board thus polarity of input voltage would not matter)
This is just my guess-I do not have your board. I have just experience with the diy GIOCD and the original board

The clock LEDs are powered by DC so there is no AC source. Polarity is determined by the original design layout. The LED board follows that polarity. The clock lighting is not GI lighting, so I assume the GIOCD won't affect or control the clock lighting.

Again, just guessing on the operation since I have no experience with the GIOCD system. Presuming it controls the intensity and ramping of the general lighting via PWM.

#10120 3 years ago

Didn't know the clock lights were GI driven. So there are two versions, one controlled and one GI?

#10123 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Eh, kind of.
Originally while in development, the clock's lights were supposed to be controlled, and light up as the clock told time, effects, and so on. However, during the development phase, to save money and 'for reasons' (I do not know the reasons, would need to talk to Ted Estes, Pat Lawlor, or the bean counters back then) they decided that it wasn't worht it, and converted them over to GI. They kept the board design as-is, and just replaced the diodes with 0-ohm jumpers. Like was previously mentioned, after games were out for months, years, it was discovered that the constant-on lamps would over-heat the clock, and cause opto failures. So, one fix was to replace the jumpers with diodes, halving the brightness/heat. The other fix was to drill air vent holes in the top of the clock.

Thanks for that explanation. Considering that, the LED clock board should work for the most part. If the GIOCD simply reduced voltage to perform the dimming feature, the LEDs will drop out at some point, blanking the illumination. However, if the GIOCD PWM's the 12 volt circuit, then the LEDs (four banks of three for each output) will follow suit and dim accordingly.

So back to the question, will the Marco LED board co-exist with the GIOCD?

2 weeks later
#10193 3 years ago

I might have one of these left. It's a mirror face. I'll look for it on Monday if you need it.
clock01 (resized).jpgclock01 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#10223 3 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

I installed the new clock assembly, and the clock LEDs did not light. Coyote suggested swapping the power leads to reverse the polarity. I swapped the yellow & yellow-white leads on J121. ...[quoted image]

Wondering why those leads were swapped in the first place?

#10226 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

He switched them *from factory*. That's how they are coming from factory. Mickpat reversed them, for DC voltage to be right for ramegoom clock board to work with GIOCD.

Maybe another angle could be to reverse the LEDs on the display board, specifically for the GIOCD application? Possibly an option.

2 months later
#10535 2 years ago

Looking for a custom mirror clock face? These were part of a prototype run, specifically for the playfield clock.

I have a few of them available along with some clear acrylic face lenses (blue protective layer shown). They mount with silver standoffs and spell out TWILIGHT ZONE instead of the cryptic characters. Clock lighting passes thru the graphics, and the rest is a mirror. PM me if interested. tzlens (resized).jpgtzlens (resized).jpg

#10543 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Could you show it in the clock and lit?

I'm going to place the face in my TZ clock and take some pictures. Should have done that long ago...doh!

1 week later
#10636 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

3-6 in service manual shows Solenoids #25 and 26 (left and right upper PF magnets) are powered by the DC Motor Control board...

The motor control board only controls the clock motor movement.

#10639 2 years ago

Back-probing on an IDC connector is not always reliable. It's much better to follow the connection to the actual device, then forward-probe the device connectors. Also, you would need to check terminal-to-pin tension to assure the connection is sound. Terminals have internal spring plates to force contact tension to the mating pin, and if the spring tension goes away, the terminal won't make proper contact.

Also worth noting is that any header connector with pins should be checked on the PC board for solder integrity. Cold solder connections, especially the high current terminations, are fairly common and will drive you crazy until you find the culprit and re-flow the solder joint.

1 week later
#10737 2 years ago

For reference, cold solder joints.
cold_solder_joints (resized).jpgcold_solder_joints (resized).jpg

1 week later
#10870 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yes, Marco's board they sell, then, won't work with OCD without reversing GI string wires. Was brought up recently here or in another thread a few months back.

I'm thinking if a potential fix would be to install a small header jumper on the LED clock board - it could be configured for "Normal" and "GIOCD" and would reverse those feeder pins if you add the option.

It could be done as a revision on the PC board. Makes me wonder if it's worth the effort - just how many TZ owners are using the GIOCD add-on? Maybe time for a poll....

#10872 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

... I would just add a bridge-rectifier, so it doesn't matter which input wire is + and -, honestly.

That's one possibility, but there is a voltage drop in the diodes which would decrease the intensity of the LEDs. And, the drop is multiplied x2 because it's a bridge.

That said, the jumper is kind of a PITA as most people don't understand those little things....

1 week later
#10977 2 years ago

..Situation under control. Got a list of testers for this.
Thanks, all.

clockboard (resized).jpgclockboard (resized).jpg

3 months later
1 month later
2 weeks later
#11693 2 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Going to tackle my TZ clock board. Heard you should get time to 1200 to remove arms and board. Since mine is broken how can I get it to 12. Move the hands manually?

http://www.installationinstructions.com/103501.pdf

Instructions step by step.

1 month later
#11928 2 years ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

looked like it could have been out of the ordinary was that some of wire casings coming out of the power supply looked like they may have bubbled a bit.
[quoted image]

If the transformer burned up, you'd know it in an instant. Smoke would bellow out like a chimney.

When the transformer is fabricated, they dip the coils and laminations in a varnish to protect the parts. What you're seeing is the "runoff" when dipped.

Whatever burned will rear its ugly head eventually. A hot coil would be my guess, seeing as the game seems to be working normally. Look for an indication of excessive heat on the wrapping of all the coils, including the magnet coils. If it persists, you likely have a shorted transistor that keeps an otherwise-intermittent-duty coil turned on all the time.

EXAMPLE: Holding a flipper button in continuously will cook a flipper coil in a few minutes.

1 week later
#11967 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Looks like a copy of Caspers board.[quoted image][quoted image]

Totally ripped off of Caspers design. Amazing how someone can get away with this.

2 months later
#12265 1 year ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

^^^This. This is most definitely a known issue, and the recommended fix is to solder the wires directly to the pins. In my experience, this is the only way to completely eliminate the detection issue.

The pickup is an inductor, extremely low impedance. Those small connectors exhibit high resistance by nature, because of their design, so it's a given they'll cause a problem, even if you replace with new.

Solder the two wires directly to the pins, and never look back. They should have done that from the start.

2 months later
#12574 1 year ago

That part likely won't work. It's got mounting ears and the inside dimension from the pocket to the actual sensor could be an issue.

2 weeks later
#12664 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

BTW, I just wanted to show a little before and after using a wire wheel, buffer and some elbow grease.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You need to add this to the mix:
inspection_tag-c-rogers (resized).jpginspection_tag-c-rogers (resized).jpg

1 month later
#12865 1 year ago
Quoted from drew88:

ramegoom did you figure this out? mine is doing the same thing and producing the same error message

Got it working waaaay back then. The switch inside the base of the gumball machine was out of adjustment as I recall. I think it was stuck closed.

Worked normally since then.

3 weeks later
#13040 1 year ago

Looking for a working CPU. EPROM not necessary but the RAM and processor must be intact. Let me know what you have.
CPU (resized).jpgCPU (resized).jpg

#13044 1 year ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Looking for a working CPU. EPROM not necessary but the RAM and processor must be intact. Let me know what you have.
[quoted image]

Rottendog seems to be the only replacement. Anyone have issues with those? I see it is shipped without a CPU, wondering how they test the board prior to shipment.

Anyone here use this board for your machine?

#13050 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

There are actually quite a few immediately available solutions. The order listed is below is not an endorsement of any manufacturer or vendor. The exception to this is repair. Repair is often cheaper than replace unless abatement of alkaline damage is extensive.

Repair your old board (if feasible).
Pinball Electronics from barakandl @ https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-wpc89-mpu.html
Pin-Tek @ https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PTK-WPC89
PinLED @ https://www.pinled.de/en/p/wpc-cpu-board
Pinball Replacement Parts @ https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/wpc89-mpu-for-williams-wpc-games-with-great-improvements
Rottendog MPU089 @ https://www.pinballlife.com/rottendog-williamsbally-wpc-mpu.html
RocketCPU (PinSound) @ https://www.pinsound.org/rocket-cpu-wpc

The processor, ROM and ASIC are socketed. The ICs can be placed in a board for verification and removed after verification. This is what I do. Rottendog are known to ship boards that were clearly not tested. I have a local contact that purchased a new MPU9211 and the PIA was installed in a socket with a bent pin. Clearly this board was never tested before being sent out.
I also have boards available but Coyote is correct about the wait. Do your research about the manufacturers and vendors. Come to your own conclusions with regard to the available options. Product support is something often overlooked by potential buyers.

Thanks for the info. I will be going through my original board before I pull the pin on a replacement board. No visible issues, but I am going to look at the LM339 abd ULN2803 chips as my door switch signal doesn't seem to be making it to the processor - keeps telling me to open the door before I go through the menu buttons. And I'll likely install sockets if I have to remove the ICs. The RAM is not socketed so I'll pull that and I might have an old-stock part to install.

Other oddball things are lack of volume control (goes to MAX), several random solenoids firing, gumball machine solenoid popping continuously, weird things like that. I replaced all the sorry-looking ribbon cables thinking that could be an issue or two, but no help. Clock tries to reset on boot-up, but doesn't always go to 12:00. Goes to 2:00, 4:00, 7:00 etc. LEDs on the processor board operate normally except an occasional top LED D19 staying on. Reboot brings it back to normal usually. LCD display works normally.

Just a bunch of weird issues point to a bugaboo in the processor control. I haven't ruled out power supply issues yet although I re-capped it a few years ago and all was well then and for a few years afterward. I put a 5 volt digital display permanently on the board to monitor the voltage and it's rock-steady.

Got me spooked....thanks again.

#13056 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Sound board issue, not MPU. New MPU won't fix this.

I was thinking that was the logical choice too, but at times, the sound goes back to normal. Only when the entire machine acts up does the volume max out. Very weird.

#13060 1 year ago

The beauty of these 90s two-layer PC boards is the ease of solder removal. Added a few sockets to the board. I'm surprised the RAM isn't socketed from the factory though - those seem to act up in time. I'm tempted to socket all of the ICs on the board.

Have another question: Regarding the DIP switch on the board shown, I can't find any reference in the manual that shows what it does. What do the switch settings represent?

20221107_102509 (resized).jpg20221107_102509 (resized).jpg
20221107_122130 (resized).jpg20221107_122130 (resized).jpg

#13063 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Good job on the IC removal! The boards were not meant to last much longer than the machine. They weren't expected to last more than a few years so why bother adding cost to the BOM for no gain.
Note that you have a 62256 so if you intend to replace that SRAM with NVRAM you will need to acquire a 62256 compatible NVRAM. You can acquire a 6264 and install R93/remove W3 on the board change the RAM addressing configuration.

I have used Pace de-soldering machines for many years. My longest lasting one is actually a Pace Portable that was designed to run on AC and also 12 VDC where you can use it under the hood of a car, attaching to the cars' battery. I bought this one back in 1982 and it out-lived two larger units.

I found a couple of the Mosel chips in my old-stock surplus so I'll stick with it for now. Amazing how much old stuff you accumulate. I even found some Motorola DTL chips that go way back.

1 week later
#13085 1 year ago

The trick I have always used for snap-in caps is to desolder only one pin thoroughly using wick (adding solder always helps). Then with chain nose fine point needle nose pliers "straighten" the terminal.

Apply lots of heat to the other conductor and the cap will almost fall out.

Works every time.

#13093 1 year ago

SN74LS244N is available from Mouser: 595-SN74LS244NE4

The 374 part is on national backorder, but you should be able to find them online.

The transistor 2N6427 (Mouser 610-2N6427) is available.

#13101 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Looking for IGT slot machine topper. I know, long shot.
PM me if you have one you'd sell or trade.
Thank you.

Join

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?action=forum

And ask around on the Classified Ads and White Sheet sub-forum.

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?board=4.0

#13137 1 year ago

Sunday Issues Day.

Multiple error codes:

Check Switch 11 Right Inlane
Check Switch 12 Right Outlane
Check Switch 31 Left Jet Bumper
Check Switch 32 Right Jet Bumper
Check Switch 33 Lower Jet Bumper
>>>Ground Shorts Rows 1 thru 7<<<
Ball Popper Opto is Stuck
Clock Is Broken

Originally had an error code that wouldn't allow me access to the program buttons inside the door, said to open the door first, but door was open. Door switch had no effect on the input even though it tested correctly. Replaced the BA10339 with an LM339 that followed the switch input on the CPU, which fixed that code and allowed the button switches to function again. Replaced another LM339 for good measure - maybe I shouldn't have done that....but it was the same issues before I replaced the chips. I socketed them and can install the original chips if necessary for reverse-testing.

So, I can go through the setup menu - set it to free play and set the clock. CPU appears to boot normally and LEDs are correctly blinking or on. However, the clock spins but does not reset to 12:00. Each boot-up gives me a random clock movement.

Checked all the wiring under the playfield, all switches, all diodes. All checked good and correct. Unless I'm dealing with an unusual harness issue, all seems good.

Meter-tested for grounds on the CPU Row input pins to system ground with J208 plugged in. None found (J208 is a duplicate of J209 so I tested there).

I'm beginning to suspect the CPU and associated logic. I will look at voltages on the logic chips next. But it's weird that some (but not all) of the row codes go away when I unplug the connector.

Every item the errors claimed were bad were checked and verified OK. I divided the connector J209 into two connectors, 3 on one, 5 on the other (separate story behind that). Looking at the switch test routine on the display: With all pins unplugged, I get a Row 4 short. With all pins plugged in, getting the first 7 rows showing shorted. >>Kind of points to the wire harness, except for Row 4 always showing shorted.

If I unplug J209, I get Ground Short Row 4 only, instead of all the others.

If I unplug J212, tells me to check a couple of fuses. Plug it back in, then I can use the selector buttons again, same as above.

I divided the connector J209 into two connectors, 3 on one, 5 on the other (separate story behind that). With all pins unplugged, I get a Row 4 short. With all pins plugged in, getting the first 7 rows showing shorted. My next move is to take a good look at the harness for shorts but the short on row 4 has me miffed.

Any ideas??

#13138 1 year ago

Update:

Found the GROUND SHORT switch matrix issue.

Defective 74LS374 IC on the CPU. It was running hotter than the rest but wasn't blistered.

I didn't have an exact spare, so cannibalized an LS74HCT374 off a spare DMD driver card. Works as it should.

Now I have to find the switch errors:

Check Switch 11 Right Inlane
Check Switch 12 Right Outlane
Check Switch 31 Left Jet Bumper
Check Switch 32 Right Jet Bumper
Check Switch 33 Lower Jet Bumper

The fun continues....

1 week later
#13197 1 year ago

Laser cut mirror mod for the clock face that I made some years ago. Adds a nice touch.
twilightzone-clockface (resized).jpgtwilightzone-clockface (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#13234 1 year ago

No more random resets. Removed the Z tap power coupling between the PC boards and directly soldered the six wires. Simple fix.

Every terminal connection presents a potential high resistance path, causing power sags, so direct solder whenever possible will prevent that issue.

z-tap-removal-before-and-after (resized).jpgz-tap-removal-before-and-after (resized).jpg

2 months later
#13503 1 year ago

Beta-testers lined up, testing begins. This will be the "catch-all" board that covers all machines, with or without GIOCD options.

TZ-clock-frontboard-new_style (resized).jpgTZ-clock-frontboard-new_style (resized).jpg

#13506 1 year ago

Marco and Pinball Life both carry the clock LED board, but production design will be modified to be compatible with the GIOCD add-ons.

LEDs won't light when using the GIOCD system due to polarity reversal, so the new design will take that into account and work properly on those machines that have the add-on.

Otherwise, the standard LED board works with all standard TZ machines.

#13508 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

ramegoom Are those optos plugged in and swappable without soldering? Am I seeing that right?

They are positioned into the board and soldered in place. That way they won't move. Not easily replaced once they're in position.

Unless you physically damage an opto, the chances are it'll never fail.

And the LEDs don't heat up like the original incandescent lamps so heat won't cause the board to fail. The original clock board produced so much heat that the circuit boards became discolored and the optos derated themselves to early failure.

#13522 1 year ago

Just for giggles, do a master reset. You will lose all the top scores and setups, but it's actually a big possibility that the issues you are experiencing will go away.

It worked for my machine that had similar issues.

Just a thought.

2 weeks later
#13680 1 year ago

Question for the TZ electrical guys.

What would force the machine to go directly into the LITZ whenever a ball enters the piano? No idea why this could happen, but it gets frustrating as every game will rack up billions of points and last way too long.

Anything I should look at before I dig deeper into this machine?

#13683 1 year ago
Quoted from GILV:

It happened to me as well not too long ago, you can go into LITZ by cheating, you need to press the extra ball button when the ball is in the scoop, the piano feeds the scoop, so this might be why it happens..... well, my extra ball button was stuck closed, fixed it and now it never happens.
Check your extra ball button.

I'll take a look. However, I disabled the LITZ cheat in the menu and it still happens, so maybe the menu doesn't control it completely. I'll look at that switch first.

#13711 1 year ago

Frustrating. I still have a problem with LITZ.

Cheat turned off. All switches test properly. All solenoids good.

Start a new game, and the instant the ball goes into the piano, LITZ begins. Even a novice player will rack up billions with this issue.

Anyone have any idea why this can be? The LITZ criteria has not been met, yet it goes directly into the LITZ. Maybe a logic issue with the CPU - that's the only thing I can think of.

Is there a way to disable lost-in-the-zone thru menu choices? Or make it much more difficult to achieve?

Looking for a logical answer from anyone.

tz_machine_tina (resized).jpgtz_machine_tina (resized).jpg

#13713 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Have you tried a factory reset?

Yep, that's the first thing I did. Went back to the usual setup "free play" etc. and it still does it.

Just odd that it happens, seems like a programming error or something.

#13747 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Check adjustment A.2 14: Door Spots. Make sure it is NOT set to "4".
Check adjustment A.2 48: Lost-In-The-Zone Cheat OK. Make sure it's "NO". (*)

Thanks, Coyote. This seemed to end the LITZ snafu. Came down to the Door Spots adjustment, which was, indeed, set to 4.

Also set a few other settings to factory default and it plays correctly now.

2 months later
#14057 10 months ago

The 90's opto design is inferior by today's standards as they used LEDs that would increase current draw with age. This results in higher temperatures at the current limiting resistor, a snowball effect.

Replacing the opto switches with current replacement parts will help, and increasing the resistor values will cut down on heat. The 470 ohm resistor can be replaced with a 560 ohm resistor and still deliver enough current to the LED to keep its mating transistor fully saturated while lowering the current draw. Less heat, longer life.

#14061 10 months ago
Quoted from GILV:

Does this mean that the new fipper opto boards I bought WILL have 560 ohm resistors on them, thus, having longer life span?

I doubt it. All depends on the level of engineering that goes into the replacement board.

5 months later
#14740 4 months ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

.... Or maybe something to diffuse it behind?

I used two or three of these to disperse lighting behind the clock face.
baffles (resized).jpgbaffles (resized).jpg

#14743 4 months ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Thanks, do you have a link or know their name for me to search for a set?

I made them with a laser. PM me, I'll send you a few.

3 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramegoom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=ramegoom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.