image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ptownpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6146 5 years ago
Quoted from Kensurfs:

Coin door decals...does anyone know where to buy them? I can’t seem to find them for sale.
Thanks
Ken
[quoted image][quoted image]

I got mine at www.pinballdecals.com

3 weeks later
#6233 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

bought a led set for my TZ off of ebay and when i stuck the flasher bulbs in the blinking backbox holders, the flashers dont blink. any suggestions besides putting back the original bulbs?

probably not flashing bulbs? I bought my kit from Comet and they worked great.....

#6236 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The blinking bulbs are not flashers nor are they regular LED lamps - you have to buy special "blinking" lamps. the blinking comes from the bulb itself, it is not controlled by the machine. Pinball life sells the original incandescent bulbs, I believe Comet has blinking LEDs

the ones I received from Comet were blinking LED's. The reason I know this is that the original ones didn't blink so they quickly sent me correct LED's. Makes a big difference using quality LED's ....

3 weeks later
#6358 5 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Game wasn't under water. I don't see any signs of that. It's got a thick layer of dust from likely sitting in a warehouse for years, but it comes right off when cleaned. No swelling of the wood anywhere.
The broken wood seemed like areas of blunt force trauma and some idiot used ratchet straps so tight it bent the metal rails and broke the cabinet in matching spots. In fact there is much more evidence of mishandling, many bent metal parts etc. I'll investigate closer for signs of termites now that I know what to look for. The contents of the debris pile in the bottom of the cab should be telling. If there are termite carcasses, wings, or pellets from eaten wood then I know for sure. If not, I'll ask my bug guy to take a look.
I do consider this project to have unlimited time. As I'm doing it for me, and there is no rush. as much as I'd love to buy another beater and use this as a donor machine, beater TZs aren't exactly common, and if I did find another I'd have to beat back the other vultures with a shooter rod and pay out the ass to get it home. [quoted image][quoted image]

I wish u the best on this project....was the machine free?

1 week later
#6414 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Any pics for the gumball light install? (not in action, but installation) I'm curious to go this route as I would also be interested in putting in a strip to light the backboard.

I actually purchased the comet TZ kit, and it included the LED strip that lights the backboard....helps quite a bit

#6428 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Having my to restored...best mods to add?

You can really go crazy with mods on TZ....IMHO I would stick with the ones that either improve game play or help identify shots. My list would include the following: color dmd, complete Cliffy protector set, comet LED's with spot lights (the game is really dark), Piano mod, camera mod, slot machine, gum balls , and diverter magnet...there are several other mods and decals that look really nice, but it really comes down to personal preference.

#6431 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

this is a good list, none of these create ball traps. The spotlights aren't needed, but otherwise its solid.

I totally agree on the spot lights unless your playing the game in a dark room at night (with the lights off ) .....The play field is really dark

#6433 5 years ago

Amazing how adding some LED's and fresh new rubber really makes a game pop. TZ sitting next to my recently restored FH made doing this a necessity. It was crazy to see the contrast in lighting between the two.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get the power field up/out and the main ramp out for cleaning.
I ended up hand picking Comet LED's VS a kit (my personal pref after doing my FH). I used 2SMD frosted for most inserts but used 4SMD RED's for the big door inserts. Went cool/natural white for GI.
Next up for me:
- Make my own custom backboard decal (just not liking what I see out there so far)
- Strip of RGB LED's above the backboard to help light the back portion of the game.
- Gumballs and gumball light (leaning towards pinduino since I already program/use atmega328's and I like that its a complete ready to use package)
- Scoop light for the slot machine shot
- Update the ROM's
- Grab a color DMD
Down the road further:
- Upgrade speakers? Pinsound?
[quoted image]

Good point on the scoop light. I added one (went with blue), and it helps quite a bit.

2 weeks later
#6490 5 years ago

I'm sure this topic has been covered several times, but is it really possible to upgrade the sound quality on TZ? I bought a semi restored TZ that has upgraded speakers/Sub, but the sound quality still isn't very good.....

#6493 5 years ago

IMHO, TZ is a good candidate for a pinsound board. Even if you keep the original mix I assume your still getting a least better quality audio, but those that have it can chime in. It's on my todo list to add one down the road after I grab a colordmd.

Thanks Steve....your welcome to check on my color dmd anytime if u want to judge for yourself.....I've also heard that the pin sound board could help, but would like someone who has experience with one to confirm. That being said its a pretty pricey upgrade for sound, but who knows maybe its worth it as the sound quality is pretty poor (even with upgraded speakers) in TZ

#6497 5 years ago
Quoted from Duvall:

I have no issues with my Pinsound and it is awesome.

so was there a vast improvement in sound quality?

#6499 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

VAST. But you need to be prepared to do some work. I made a custom mix with callouts from the tv series - Rod Serling of course, but also Talky Tina saying various things, Rod talking about the camera, etc. I added some callouts myself of stuff he doesn’t actually say in the show specific to the game. All this on top of the original DCS Chris Granner music, which at this point I prefer to the original.
I also added the TZ show end theme music to multiball, so it sometimes plays that instead of the usual rock n’ roll music, and it is incredibly spooky. It plays maybe 1 time out of 3 games.
I tweak the mix every once in a while but it sounds real good.
One other thing you want to do is add a better, larger woofer in the cabient. That is REALLY important, as it makes the game thump really well.
You could also add the actual recording of the Golden earring song if you wanted to.
Pinsound board + Pinsound stereo cable + Better speakers + REALLY fast USB drive gives you a completely new sounding machine

Thanks for the feedback....I appreciate it....that being said I'm not sure how much work I'm willing to do The good news is mine already has upgraded speakers and sub, but in my opinion the sound still sucks.....sounds like the only real option is a pin sound board....

#6505 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

you can always accept that its an early 90's game and enjoy it for what it is.

why would I do that The sound sucks

#6524 5 years ago

Blades look good....I lit both the skill shot and the slot machine scoop....big improvement especially at night....I just made my own from Comet pinball....

1 week later
#6557 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Yup, that's the one I like the best from the three options seen.
Lighting using an LED strip?
How long is it and what did you tie it into?

I will say that TZ is a really dark game (in a dark room)....using an LED light strip on the back, along with spot lights on the play field really helps....

#6562 5 years ago

Is it challenging to take off the upper play field?

1 month later
#6689 5 years ago
Quoted from DonnieDarko:

Have a look here:
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/jd_rfb.html
This is a redesigned version. I don't deal with Great Lakes so can't comment on how they work, but they are replacements for the assemblies

These guys must be out of business....they never respond to anything

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 132.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ptownpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=ptownpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.