image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noitbe1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10818 2 years ago

Hello, does someone know what is this ROM « PSD4 » is ? Is it the same as P4? It seems to bas been used for exported games. It seems there is also a PSD2.
E77F1A2C-FFAA-4951-A8C5-C20B227ADA03 (resized).jpegE77F1A2C-FFAA-4951-A8C5-C20B227ADA03 (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#11063 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

You can download different TZ mixes from the Pinsound website. Most are terrible in my opinion, but the sound designer for TZ has released the original stereo package, but surprisingly doesn't include the Golden Earring Twilight Zone song... because it wasn't originally going to be in the game until the DCS sound board wasn't ready in time for TZ and they had to make some changes is my understanding.
The process of editing or creating your own sound files is for another discussion and detailed info can be found online and many programs available to do this. Pinsound let's you replace any original sound file, which is fantastic. You can upload to Pinsound via USB, so no ROM burning necessary. You no longer use the original sound board. Pinsound itself can have a bit of a learning curve once you dive in if you don't just use one of the prepackaged sound packages.
I basically edited some of the sounds for my own personal tastes, adding a little more bass, turning up volume, etc. I used some of the original and some from the Granner mix.
I also have done the 5 1/4" speaker backbox upgrade and changed out all speakers and wired for true stereo and also have external subwoofer.
Unfortunately the Rod Serling callouts are all pretty low quality because of audio compression used for original sound board and no original recordings are available anymore, so just making them louder only helps to an extent. Others have tried to use TZ TV show replacements, which is a huge undertaking and as far as I know, none have been released to the public. There was also some talk about using a voice actor to redo the callouts, but I also don't think this has been done.

Thanks for sharing. Do you know then the best way to improve a bit the original sounds and musics? I guess the only option is to upgrade the speaker because original sounds are not available to be reuse with pinsound. Right ?

#11075 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

They do have the original sound mix available to download on the Pinsound website.
The pinsound plus board has built in equalizer so you can tune the audio that way as well.
I would definitely recommend upgrading the speakers, especially if they are still the originals from 1993.
Even “entry” level, inexpensive speakers from places like Parts Express would offer a nice upgrade even if using the original sound board.
Especially if keeping the original sound board, make sure you match the ohm ratings of the original speakers. TZ speakers are not wired in a “traditional” manner from the factory. You could rewire them if going to stereo using the pinsound board.

Thanks for this info as well.

#11076 2 years ago

I’d like to replace my 93 original speaker, does anyone would have any advice on the replacement?
Is flipper fidelity the best?
Thanks for any help

#11081 2 years ago

Sorry if this has been answered already but does someone know why the Granner remix music planned for DCS use are completly different to what went actually to production ?
Are those remix also prototype and were in the process to be modified?

I just listened to all the musics qnd it puzzle me how differents from the production all those musics can be. It’s like a new experience ...

#11101 2 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

It’s a matter of preference, but for price, quality, ease of installation and support, I love flipper fidelity. I have put them in just about every Bally/Williams games and a few stern’s that I’ve owned.
I have pinball pro in my space shuttle because they support older games that have a 6X9 speakers and sub, which is great. I have pinwoofer in my stern JP and it is amazing, but they jumped a full $100 since I last bought them so it’s hard to recommend them for the older Bally/Williams games, especially without a pinsound board installed.
Flipper fidelity speaker kits are great and they include anti-rattle tape and a balance knob that can be mounted in the back box or coin door area with an extender cable that is hard to beat. I put them in my twilight zone and am very happy. The bass can be turned up to rattle the cabinet as a little “shaker motor” could and that’s perfect for me.

Thanks for your infos.

1 week later
#11172 2 years ago

hello all.
I'm searching for NOS original plastics (or set) on TZ early version with big SP characters.
If anyone has changed his plastics with new one and is ok to sell the old ones, please PM me, thanks !

here is a sample of what it's looks like

RIB_HSBC_Benoit_Courant (resized).pngRIB_HSBC_Benoit_Courant (resized).png

#11184 2 years ago

Really happy to have join this club reallly recently with a proto/test game. This game is amazing.
I love it

342EBAB4-C23E-4D0E-9D70-1F4F7EC7C6CE (resized).jpeg342EBAB4-C23E-4D0E-9D70-1F4F7EC7C6CE (resized).jpegC080571F-6168-4336-AC86-26ED29E5F96D (resized).jpegC080571F-6168-4336-AC86-26ED29E5F96D (resized).jpeg
#11186 2 years ago
Quoted from ParisPinballAdct:

congratulations, fantastic find!!! content pour toi, bienvenue dans le club TZ (aka, le meilleure flipper de tous les temps
Guillaume

merci ! et je suis d'accord

#11219 2 years ago

Hello.
Does someone know if the red plastic can be repaired restored with a paint ?

6B908740-6455-44BF-B7EF-9D3409A16062 (resized).jpeg6B908740-6455-44BF-B7EF-9D3409A16062 (resized).jpeg
#11221 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Unless you see an individual piece on Ebay, the full set might be your only option.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-1765-COMP
LTG : )

Yes. I already have one but I’m looking for NOS only and it seems like mine has been used till early production so really hard to find an exact replacement. I know it’s not the easy way.

Edit: i’ve sent an email to PPS. We’ll see. Tks.

4 weeks later
#11374 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Fair enough.
Williams thought it would rival TAF in numbers built and made them for 9 months. Distributors thought the next Lawlor pin after TAF would sell great too. And operators probably did too. So a lot were sold.
On the street it was up against people working harder for less money. And coin op entertainment often forgets the entertainment part. At that time a lot of players wanted entertainment, not a job.
So TZ performed poorly in earnings for operators. Which is why in 1999 when Williams closed. There were a lot of TZs in good shape available at a great price.

It’s exactly what I’ve been told from a large french operator couple of years ago. He told me that TZ did really poorly in bars... those were removed or stored and even after, could be found in great condition unlike for instance, MM, MB ... or even CC or Totan.
I honestly think today that is probably one of the best pinball ever made and really a keeper for his gameplay. Maybe this pin was ahead of its time.

#11380 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m finding nothing. That IGT slot topper is the best I’ve seen and I can’t find one available any where.

I don't know if you've seen this one already:
https://www.ecflipp.fr/fr/pedretti-special/4379-topper-twilight-zone.html

it's a french website but currently out of stock. It seems like it has been released not so long ago.

1 month later
#11476 2 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

I live here in Germany and I'm in the same boat.
I originally ordered on 15 September, waited 5 weeks and nothing, so I emailed them. They emailed back that they had the parts and were slowly getting the soldering started. That was back on 25 October.
I sent a follow up message to them about 2 weeks ago and I've heard no reply. They are probably inundated with orders and messages from inpatient TZ owners.

Same. I tried to email several times for an order. I have been refunded once and never had any answer from my messages. Seems really strange. Are they still active ? The website is still there…

#11478 2 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

This was the last response I received on 25 Oct 2021. I have heard nothing since.
-------------
On Mon, Oct 25, 2021, 16:33 Outlook Teresa <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello, thank you for your order. We have had problems with parts for a long time, but they have arrived and we are slowly starting to solder. We'll get your board on Monday.
Lg
--
Gesendet über Outlook Email App für Android

I guess you’re lucky to had at least an answer. They don’t even answering me when or if I could order.

1 month later
#11610 2 years ago
Quoted from funworldgr:

spacer isn't original, if we remove the space clock doesnt work, my clock needs to be in an angle in order to work correctly.
locksmith despite I don't see much play front to back of forth, I will check how to apply the screw in the back of the block in order to push it near the clock hands.
bakerhillpins I will apply all advices on my third broken clock!
ps. I made a new pickup today, and I noticed all three pins are made between march and october of 1993, but they have a difference in the bumpers section.
first one hasn't any holes for posts
second one has two holes and two posts
third one has two plastic caps to fill the playfield holes.
I guess owners are making a lot of complaing and factory couldnt decide what to do.. I read the story but couldn't believe that I will in my eyes all variation.
[quoted image]

What is the ealiest manufacturing date in march? Do you know?

#11636 2 years ago

Just to share that I’ve sent my prototype mini playfield to a friend for restoration, and I wanted to share the result: pretty nice. It’s not completly over (missing some steps like polish) but i think it’s look amazing already.
1AAC5FF8-C443-4277-A232-1A364EC2CEF0 (resized).jpeg1AAC5FF8-C443-4277-A232-1A364EC2CEF0 (resized).jpegA2540A9F-AA46-40F3-A241-0F0F7347A5FE (resized).jpegA2540A9F-AA46-40F3-A241-0F0F7347A5FE (resized).jpeg

#11638 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I have a brand new prototype mini playfield. It was ordered by mistake, it's going to end up as wall art now.

Do you have a picture ? Please share.

#11652 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I have a brand new prototype mini playfield. It was ordered by mistake, it's going to end up as wall art now.

Still waiting for a pic of your mini playfield. Always nice when pinball bring more to the community than just to say that they have the item.

2 weeks later
#11722 2 years ago

Anyone has any news from « coyote » ?
I tried to reach him without success and he is off for a while now from pinside.

#11728 2 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I sent him a PM a couple weeks ago. No response. I hope everything's ok.

Yes. Same for me, with all those COVID things... he used to be really active and helpful on pinside.
I also sent him an email (I have it) without answer early december.
I hope he is ok.

#11744 2 years ago

Hello looking for help:
I have 3 mini playfield switchs no longer working: the mini playfield left and the opto entrance and opto exit (the other switchs on mini PF are working)
In the test mode I saw that the mini playfiled left switch is always on, even if i pushed on the swith so I think something is wrong maybe with the switch or component.
I hope that is the same issue that make also the two optos to not working.

Any advice or ideas would be welcome.
Thanks for any help.

#11747 2 years ago

Actually I have 2 optos on my mini playfield which make lights as the transmitter but not registering if I put something in between in test mode.

Anyone has any idea what could be wrong?
All the other optos switchs seems to work correctly, only the mini playfield ….

#11748 2 years ago

Thanks for your answer. In my case, only 2 optos swiths are ko. Anyway i need to see if i could swap the CPU board and check.

#11750 2 years ago
Quoted from jid:

Will do right after lu

If you think it is just the optos, you can borrow one from the left or right spiral to see if replacing it works. It may. Also look at the opto board. I recently looked at mine and found out it was shot so I ordered a new one. This is a common fault point I hear. And I’m learning. So definitely look at the board to make sure it looks ok. Like no leaking capacitor (like mine is!)

Thanks. This should not be the opto board because my TZ has 2 optos boards and I swapped the 2 and I still had the issue.
I also checked the soldering, the wire with the CPU: green and purple... nothing.
I might end up replacing my optos as a start because I’m really lost there

#11765 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

2x 7-opto boards indicates a prototype Twilight Zone. The wiring and connections for the custom 10-opto board in the manual does not apply here.

Yes. (See pic) it’s 2 times 7 optos boards.
I’ve found my issue: the opto receivers went down. Thanks for the help.

073725E1-275C-4317-9ACF-0DCD4175FA86 (resized).jpeg073725E1-275C-4317-9ACF-0DCD4175FA86 (resized).jpegD53508FA-6816-4874-8AC6-9CA8F11FA858 (resized).jpegD53508FA-6816-4874-8AC6-9CA8F11FA858 (resized).jpeg
#11772 2 years ago

Got my Proto mini playfield restoration’s now over by a French artist :

1390942F-F7D9-4B10-A4F4-FA980920EF58 (resized).png1390942F-F7D9-4B10-A4F4-FA980920EF58 (resized).png

21CC408E-5148-4193-A6D7-D584D5739504 (resized).jpeg21CC408E-5148-4193-A6D7-D584D5739504 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#12038 2 years ago

Here is my TZ after my proto mini playfield restoration and back in the pin. Also, I share a picture of the look of the lamp boards with flasher lamp boards to show how it looked before removal.
31859984-5068-44A3-ADD7-72FB2EB6DE3C (resized).png31859984-5068-44A3-ADD7-72FB2EB6DE3C (resized).png

56B24CFA-4B7A-402D-9E11-DEF0856C3E20 (resized).png56B24CFA-4B7A-402D-9E11-DEF0856C3E20 (resized).png
2 months later
#12308 1 year ago

Here is a pinsound mod, just for the inspiration.

1 month later
#12416 1 year ago

I am looking for an original translite. Is anyone (who maybe has replace his translite) who be ok to the the original to me ? Tks

#12418 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

This one is a properly Williams licensed translate from planetary Pinball. The license holder.

Sorry I’m not sure I follow you: do you mean your translite is for sale but it’s a repro?
It’s like old car, i’m looking for an original only.
Thanks for it anyway.
If anyone got one and ok to sell it, please PM me. Tks !

3 weeks later
#12528 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The sign was removed because it was a ball trap.
The yellow lamp at the back of the powerfield - in the same location as where the sign is mounted - is your Left Spiral lamp.

Maybe also because it was there on the really first proto and there was no plastic above it at the time. After, it was no more possible to read it and hidden.
I really don’t get why some of the samples were assembled with that plastic and the mini playfield plastic trims added later. It feels strange.

Here is how it was originally :

8B738C56-1C2D-4575-A373-2D9F04845844 (resized).jpeg8B738C56-1C2D-4575-A373-2D9F04845844 (resized).jpeg
#12530 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

No one knows. The factory just kept moving. Some early games had the translites with the stars cut out, and some didn't.
TZ was made over 9 months and had a lot of differences during the whole run.

2 protos with red boards shipped as test games (probably part of the first 25 batch) didn’t have them either. It means it was removed, put back for a really few games and removed for good.
I think they might get rid of the one remaining maybe by assembing them on samples.

#12587 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

Ordered one in Jan 2021 and never received it. Every time I enquired I was told it would be shipping in around two weeks but it was always bull. Trying to get my money back now.

I got the same message as well. No response to my email asking if it was ready to ship.
They answered me at first because I said I will open a paypal dispute ...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noitbe1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=noitbe1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.