IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neurokinetik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#312 9 years ago

Twilight Zone owner for about 12 years now. I'd like to point out one thing about the "upgraded" replacement slot machine scoops. They are wider than the originals, at least, for my early production game. I have had nothing but trouble with my replacement scoop giving me inconsistent ball delivery compared to the old scoop. Right now it is about 1 of 20 balls SDTM, with the rest hitting the right flipper anywhere from the center to the tip.

I'm actually getting rid of that scoop and going back to a NOS original style, this time I'll reinforce the perimeter with JB Quik before I install it. My old scoop lasted more than 10 years with that fix, until I tried to "adjust it" and cracked the JB Quik.

No mods on my game aside from full LEDs with LED OCD and GI OCD. I like my games to look like new, as close to factory original as possible.

Post edited by neurokinetik: added obligatory pics

IMG_1247.jpgIMG_1247.jpg
TZ_Blackout.jpgTZ_Blackout.jpg

#316 9 years ago

That is the bottom guide to the rocket kicker. It needs to go on top of the two rubber posts to aim the kicker into the hitchhiker lane.

#317 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

FWIW, I have an early sample game, and I recently replaced the original scoop with one of Kerry's upgraded scoops. The new scoop fits great, and it delivers the ball perfectly to the right flipper every time. The only modification I had to make was to saw off a little of the target support arm. It was extending a bit too far on my game.

I had to grind that part down too. It stuck out well past the greed targets, and also was too far forward to fit properly with my reinforced slot greed target. I'll take measurements when I get my replacement (because I don't feel like taking the game apart twice right now) but the width of the scoop is probably 1/16" wider on the replacement than the original.

1 week later
#348 9 years ago

Got my replacement slot scoop today, and took some measurements:

NOS old style slot scoop: 1.08"
NOS new style slot scoop (Mantis?): 1.19"

Pic shows the new style scoop with the caliper still set at the measurement from the old scoop. There is almost 1/8" side-to-side for the ball in the new scoop, compared to around 1/16" in the original style.

Also noticeable is the way they are constructed. The new style scoop has the sides sitting outside of the center section, where on the old scoop, those sides are made to overlap the center a bit. This seems to be where the big width discrepancy is coming from.

NewVsOld.jpgNewVsOld.jpg NewVsOld2.jpgNewVsOld2.jpg
4 months later
#531 9 years ago

Just had an amusing issue, and the fix:

A couple of nights ago, was playing a game, and locked my first ball. Game says "watch for kickout", then POWERBALL. However, no ball appears, and the powerball is actually visible in the gumball machine. So it kicks off a ball search, then seemingly gives up and auto-fires one from the trough. Game continued normally after that, so I just filed it away to look at later.

Another game tonight, I started multiball, but that multiball only had two balls kick out. Hmmm. Time to investigate.

First place I looked was at all the trough switches, then all the lock switches. Also cleaned the lock optos while I was at it. No issues were noted with any of the switches. So I did an "empty balls" operation from the menu just to see if I hadn't somehow had a ball gone missing somewhere.

That was where the problem became apparent. The game would only kick one ball out of the trough, even though there were three in there. Turns out that the ball popper mechanism itself was gummed up and not returning to rest position when it kicked (at least, not right away... eventually it would get there).

So, it was an easy fix. Pop out the mechanism and thoroughly clean and degrease it. No further issues, and no parts needed replacing. Not sure how it ended up with grease in there, but at any rate, it is all good now.

3 months later
#731 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

The weld on my scoop was broken when I got mine (from the slot target ramming into it). Got the scoop re-welded and put in the re-enforced target. Probably took 100 games before that thing was bent back and now there is just a dull clunk when you hit that shot as the ball hits the scoop and target at the same time. Also, yeah - the target was launching balls straight into the left outlane.
tldr; I wouldn't recommend the re-enforced slot machine target.

Is the target the one from Pinball Resource, or from somewhere else? I've had the reinforced clock and slot greed targets in my game for more than 10 years, and neither one of them have bent.

IMG_1482.jpgIMG_1482.jpg
7 months later
#1366 8 years ago

I've had my TZ for so long that it just does not get the play that it used to. Looked at my audits the other day, and only 39 plays since March of this year when I installed the NVRAM.

But I finally got sick of seeing the default high scores on there yesterday and decided to do something about it. I did eventually get back on the board, but during that one good game, I had not one, but two separate multiballs with the powerball in play (obviously failed to get Powerball Mania going). Cashed in double jackpots both times, of 160M and 130M. Highest I've ever personally done.

The powerball aspect during multiball is just one of many things that makes this the best game ever. Lots of games have multiball, but none say "oh, you have to make the jackpot shot with just this one particular ball to double it". Genius.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 132.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neurokinetik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=neurokinetik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.