image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

Your slot scoop probably just needs to be turned a bit more counter clockwise. When you go to remove and remount the scoop, clean away the wood bits that have "extruded" themselves from the level of the playfield's underside. It's these bits that have worked themselves into the shape of the larger holes of the scoops mounts, hereby only allowing it to be mounted in one location. Remove that stuff, and the gap between the size of the screw and the size of the mounting holes becomes usable again.

The scoop's mounted direction may only change a fraction of a degree, but the trajectory's end point will shift dramatically. It did on mine. Mine usually hits the right flipper just left of center and depending on what shot I'm going for, bounces over to the other flipper with reliable repeatability.

Also, make sure all your metal is square and true and that the kicker solenoid is mounted straight as well.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

What gumballs did everyone buy?

These are the gumballs I bought:

http://www.tgftoys.com/Pressman-Toy-Chinese-Checkers-1902-06A.htm

I didn't buy it from this online store, mind you. I managed to find it for sale at a local teacher's supply store. Same price, though. Plastic, not 100% shiny, they look the part perfectly. I removed the black ones(since I've never seen a black gumball) and evenly distributed each color into the two sides. Four bucks and 5 minutes later, blam! Cheapest TZ mod ever!

1 month later
#130 10 years ago
Quoted from matthewra:

While putting in a few mods, swapped the ROM for the 9.4 H and it seemd to fry a chip on the board.

Machine failed to accept coins and contol button on coin door failed to respond.

The 9.4H rom is a Free Play Only rom and is not setup for coins. In fact, the "H" stands for Home, meaning for home use only.

The control button on the door might be due to your machine's coin door harness still plugged into the "export" plug on the coin door board. If you look at that board, there are two places to plug in the door harness. One has it's traces run through a set of dip switches, the other one doesn't. Now that yours is stateside again, it should be in the one that doesn't use the dip switches.

I'm not saying that's what might be causing these specific issues, but it's a couple things to start and check out to make sure everything's as it should be.

#157 10 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Where can I get the piano toy? Is it hard to install? Does it Need Any electrical work?
Thanks

The guy who makes that piano mod is Pinsider "pinballsmith". There are no brackets and no soldering. Not sure if he's got any left. Here's the original thread he started for that piano:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-piano-modaccessory-now-available

You can PM him from there.

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Is the subway smoked plastic?

The subway for the gumball VUK is supposed to be smoked and I do know some of the earlier games got smoked main subways, but normally, they are clear.

Quoted from Cobra:

Here are a couple of pics of the TZ I will be getting tomorrow. Really nice original low play game.

I don't know how to tell you this....but....that things doesn't have lower flipper rubbers and the pop bumper caps are in the wrong order. I'll gladly take this game off your hands to relieve you from the impending workload as the stress might be too much for you to take. It's the least I could do....

Seriously, though, beautiful game! That shooter lane looks super nice!

#179 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Ya they are the new super clear rubber that you can't see. Big cash for that upgrade.

Hope they don't break on you after the first week like some of those other new brands of bands...

(that wasn't too offsides, was it?)

1 month later
#199 10 years ago

Looks like he matched the skirt color, too. Don't bother changing the cap unless you want to change the skirt as well.

4 weeks later
#242 10 years ago

Interesting that your subway ramp for the VUK isn't smoked. Most other ones I've seen are.

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

...just a quick blow-job and it'll be a happy camper. Maybe use a couple of rubbers too.

cYEHZsL.gifcYEHZsL.gif
#254 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Just added a led lite to the Hallmark TV I bought and installed. Turned out pretty good--does what I wanted it to do by lighting the original screen.

Oooh, early game! Cool! I can tell by the definitely original clock face decal and what looks like the green lock insert.

3 months later
#285 9 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Twist the top off and push them in. It is a tight fit!

post-16031-Thats-What-She-Said-gif-Imgur-CInE.gifpost-16031-Thats-What-She-Said-gif-Imgur-CInE.gif
2 weeks later
#296 9 years ago

Super Skill Shot music.....kinda sounds like it's from Taxi.

Anybody know what it's really from? It doesn't quite fit the rest of the game's music theme.

1 week later
#304 9 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Was very lucky to pick up this beauty last night,
Will get better pics soon but it's an undocumented HUO and it's really nice

That looks fantastic, so far!

2 weeks later
#363 9 years ago

I'm trying to see how many modes I can stack, and THEN get multiball going!

2 weeks later
#387 9 years ago

If the deal is good enough, don't even worry about a broken clock or gumball machine. The one I bought had switch issues, buttons that didn't work, the DMD animations were wonky, and all sorts of little things just needed attention. But the cosmetic condition of everything is what sold me on mine. Well, that and I paid about $1200 less than what I probably should have. I had all that little stuff fixed in a few weeks and was enjoying my TZ to its fullest all on my own work and that makes it extra fun to play!

2 weeks later
#397 9 years ago

Man, I just had mine apart the other night! You're talking about that L-bracket that you use to adjust the aim on the rocket kickout to the hitchhiker, right?

Also, be careful on the cab decals. You can get them on eBay, but you need to make sure you get the right ones. There was a batch that was printed horribly wrong that people are still selling, trying to get rid of them. They look like this:

$_57.JPG$_57.JPG

....when it should actually look like this:

$_12.JPG$_12.JPG

Pretty big mistake if you ask me...

#404 9 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Really odd why they did that. Mistake or someone wanted it to be different?

Last I remember hearing, the artwork was done by a third party. A proper graphic artist, just not one directly associated with pinball. I could be wrong though.

My guess is with the kind of gradient fill that area requires, it may have been an interpretation error when translating the image from one computer to the next or one format to another during processing for printing. It's pretty common that gradients get messed up on transfers if you're not careful. I'm also thinking they either didn't run a test print, or changed printers part-way through the run and the new printer wasn't paying attention to that red gradient being different and ran the full run.

The company that sold those originally actually has a stellar reputation for their pinball decals and artwork. Truly top quality stuff. That's what was so surprising about these TZ decals being so off, and they still sold them.

#406 9 years ago

As much as I love the black trim on TZ, that chrome looks mighty fine, too!

#412 9 years ago

Exactly. At the cost of that mod, I could buy enough material to build it wrong TEN TIMES, get it right on the 11th, and STILL come out way ahead!

#436 9 years ago

Impressive how dirty then can get, isn't it?

Was your gumball popper subway tinted? Most I've seen are...

1 week later
#462 9 years ago

If you're goal is to replicate the factory look with Ingo's board, get it with the warm whites and put the brightness pot at about 65-70%(YMMV). It looks absolutely perfect.

I had it like that for a while, but I swapped out the colored clock face for the white one and put the rainbow LEDs behind it for a fun little change from the norm. It's so easy to swap everything in and out, I can probably change it back to the regular stuff in about 20 minutes. And that's if I take my time doing it.

I'm so glad I bought this board. It's so easy to work with and change setting on. He really thought ahead about a bunch of stuff and made it the right way. Plus, he really takes care of you afterwards if something's wrong. I had issues with LED colors not matching and he sent me out two new sets, free of charge.

Tmezel: What if you put that door at the end of the wireform, above the shooter lane? You wouldn't block the skill shot there.

#463 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

As for the clock housing itself, any difference in them? Do these new boards need ventilation?

Not in the least. In the actual thread about Ingo's board with the reviews, someone actually took an IR gun and measured the temps before and after. The difference was vast.

They had a graph and everything. It was quite official.

3 weeks later
#468 9 years ago

Not on mine.

You might want to check/reseat the ribbon cables to and from the soundboard as well. Then start looking for corrosion on all of the solder joints, traces, and on the capacitors.

3 weeks later
#484 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Does anyone have Ingo's board?

Quoted from Coyote:

If so, how's it handle GI dimming?

I do. Love it!

The clock lights only dim long term when the GI saver is active. Even then, they're great. Otherwise it acts, reacts, and appears as expected from a factory board with incandescents.

Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Has anyone done this with their game yet? Reviews? Other than the Gumballs, this may be my only other mod to my TZ game. At $400, it better be most righteous!

I'd wait for the original DCS sounds that Chris Granner composed for TZ to be released before you go changing that board out....

#487 9 years ago

There are many situations where the lights on the clock flash and slowly fade in and out during gameplay. These LEDs that Ingo uses fade in and out beautifully. They even have a brightness control pot on the main board. Once I set that brightness to exactly what it was with the incandescents, someone would be hard pressed to be able to look at my clock and tell me I had warm white LEDs in it.

Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, I'll admit, I'm new to this site (but not pinball in general, nor my TZ).. I'll have to search this up and read about it..

Start watching this at just after the 1 hour mark and feast your ears on the awesomeness:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54067202

#491 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

Too much to ask, I'm sure.

After doing some research on the Pinsound board, I don't think that'd be a problem at all. It looks like their UI let's you pick and choose what sounds go where.

In essence, you could make a fart noise for the rocket launch, put it on the SD card in .wav form, assign it to the launch feature, and it'd work in the game!

1 week later
#503 9 years ago

I've been doing a LOT of deep cleaning on my TZ over the course of the last few months. Most recently, I took apart the whole left/rear of the playfield(gumball machine, all the plastics in that area, and the mini playfield). It was absolutely disgusting under there. I cleaned and rebuilt everything. My problem is not taking before pictures. Not for remembering where everything goes, but for how dirty everything was. The main problem comes from not remembering how many bulbs were out/dirty before and how much of a difference to expect when I'm done.

While I admit that area of my TZ was filthy(hell, the whole thing was filthy, this was just the last major area to clean), I don't remember it being this well lit(from behind)!

If this is how it's supposed to be, I've been missing out!If this is how it's supposed to be, I've been missing out!

Along with all the cleaning come some new dangers(speed) and new places to get the ball stuck, apparently. Don't know that I've seen this "stuck spot" yet.

IMG_7436.JPGIMG_7436.JPGIMG_7437.JPGIMG_7437.JPG

1 month later
#553 9 years ago

Most people set their games to 3 ball, but truly, there is no right or wrong. It's your game, do what you want with it! Besides, EVERY game plays different from the next. No two games play identically. Each has it's own feel, nuances, and strengths. If they were all identical, tournaments would go A LOT quicker!

Now onto a question about my TZ:

I have my replay/extra ball score set at 351M(of course) with a boost of 50M each time it gets reached, like normal. For some reason the last couple of weeks, that replay score has been 693M. I know there's a setting for it being a certain percentage of the high score, but I though when you set the score threshold manually, that takes precedence. I guess I'm wrong, then? What setting puts it back that way?

1 month later
#625 9 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

It's in great shape but there's rust spots on the spring steel ramp entrances. They are riveted on so I'd like to try and clean them up without removing if possible. Any suggestions? I don't want to do anything that might damage the playfield.

Remove the ramp before trying to clean anything on those flaps. It's a pretty easy task to remove, you just work in layers. Consult your manual for help, too. Don't forget about the two tiny screws at the ramp entrance, and the electrical connections!

Once the ramp is removed, tape a piece of nice stiff cardboard or something similar to the bottom side of the ramp entrance. That way, if you're applying the elbow grease a little too hard, you won't bend that flap back. There are a few types of metal polishes you can use. My favorite it Brasso. You can get it at most hardware stores. It shouldn't harm the bluing on that flap(it didn't on mine), but you still will want to try it on the underside of that flap first, just to make sure. Once you're certain the bluing will be fine try it on the topside and see what happens. Be careful not to get it on the ramp plastic. I'm not sure it'll affect it, but Brasso can be pretty caustic, it wouldn't surprise me if did chemically "burn" it.

I used Brasso on every stainless bit on my TAF and TZ with fantastic results.

Good luck!

4 months later
#872 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I looked but my game has no flipper optos and the coils look new.

Did you mean to say "new flipper optos"? Or does yours have actual leaf switches?

#875 8 years ago

The next time they fail, go into switch edge test and see if both of the leaf switches are even registering. Also, check the wires where they plug back into the main harness(if memory serves me correctly) to check to see if one of those wires is loose at all.

Gotta start at the easy stuff, which I'm good at!

2 months later
#1078 8 years ago

EDIT: Question resolved!

1 week later
#1092 8 years ago

Anybody happen to have a spare "Defeat the Power" mini playfield sign?

I just put the GLM mini switch kit on my TZ and noticed that that sign has a few more scratches on it than I'd prefer for reuse. I'm not too particularly keen on paying one of the parts suppliers $7 in shipping on a $15 piece of plastic, either, when I know it can be shipped for about two bucks or less.

Let me know if anybody happens to have an extra one and what you'd want for it.

Thanks!

(Unfortunately, I already bought the Magna-Flip sign a while ago in a separate large parts order, so I don't need the set.)

#1102 8 years ago

Yep, and it doesn't so much "lift", so much as it slides forward. All that holds it down, really, is the screw from the wireform ramp, and the two nuts at the front, outermost, top edges on top of the lower post of the side switches. Undo those three and it'll slide forward enough to tip forward so you can remove that piece of cardboard and you'll have plenty of access to all the bulbs.

I've got the physical manuals to my games, but one thing I've done is to download them to my iPhone and iPad so I can zoom in nice and close, too. Plus, it's easier to prop up the iPad and not have to worry about the pages flipping over.

#1120 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Thanks for this tip. I'm thinking that might be the easiest way to put on the switch mod rather than try to solder in place.

Oh, heck yes! I just installed that GLM mini switch kit last week myself. It never even crossed my mind to install it in place!

I even took it a little further and really cleaned up all that wiring that stick out everywhere, too. I shortened, rerouted, and ran in it all in some heat shrink tubing(un-shrunk, though). I'll take a few pics this weekend and post them up here for all to see. I'm really quite proud of how it all came out. Looks super slick now and is a lot easier to handle without all those wires sticking out in all crazy directions.

7 months later
#1888 8 years ago

Ouch, I don't envy your situation, there. Have you tried putting a DMM to the opto board components to see if there's and individual part that dies that you could just replace yourself? I'm sure Mouser might have something they could ship out pretty quick.

What kind of a signal or surge knocks out an opto board? Could one of the opto circuits be grounding out somewhere? Some fault in the power regulation on the board or to the board?

Let us know what you find. I think those of us with the original opto board still in our machines would be interested in what is happening.

I had a 2803 chip that was bad and was showing an error in column 7 which has some optos in it as well, particularly switch 71 which is not used. Threw me for a loop for the longest time! Cleaned all the optos, checked all the wiring in 71's row and column, resoldered a few things, changed the 2803 chip and now all is well(knock on wood).

#1890 8 years ago

Crossing fingers….

1 week later
#1915 8 years ago

Another three slotter here. Mine was exported to Belgium, but was reimported from Italy. Still has the "500"(lira) in the coin rejects. My TZ has travelled better than I have.

#1917 8 years ago

Mine was imported years before I bought it locally.

But yes, there are/were people in certain european countries that would go around buying up pins since there were many premium titles(to us in the states) over there that were trading at nearly half their US value. They would then fill an entire shipping container with pins and sell the whole thing to one person or group of people.

This went on for many years and it was a win/win for almost everyone. The european sellers made decent money on the sale and the US buyers got great pins at a great price. In the beginning, a lot of pins were in great shape, too. The quality and availability of great games has, of course, dwindled drastically in recent years.

Once the imported pin is set back to US voltage, other than the info on the warranty sticker, there is no real discernible difference from their untravelled brethren. They all came off the same factory line.

Once an imported pin is back on US soil in someone's collection, there won't be any real price difference upon selling, from the other same titles. Everything then defaults back to condition and market value. If something is rusty, does it matter where the rust originated? Nope.

#1948 8 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

EDIT - looking at this more. might be interested. hard to install?

Funny you should ask….I just posted this last week.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-tech-glm-mini-switch-kit-installwrite-upimpressions

#1949 8 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

If I didn't know any better, I'd say the yellow on the printing of the main cab was jacked up- looks like there's not enough yellow

I'd say you're dead on. Looks like it needs about 15-20% more yellow. My original TZ cab's red on the side is definitely red and not pink.

#1951 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice timing! Now take those damn black rubber of your TZ

You mean the flipper rubber? I like blacks! Reds are a bit hot for my tastes. Lots of hop, lots of spin. Black is a bit more controllable, for me. My TZ is fast enough as it is, too. Those that get to play it at PAGG will find out for themselves.

….with fresh BLACK rubber on the flippers!

#1953 8 years ago

Mine's at 7deg and you can still backhand the robot ramp from the left flipper all day long. Not that that's a good thing gameplay-wise, but that's how fast it is...

1 week later
#1992 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I didn't give up yet, but my last shot was posting here to see if I could get any help from fellow pinsiders.... Hope anyone @ glm can reply me, if not by e-mail, post a note on this thread!

You might try getting a hold of Borygard here on Pinside. He used to bring a set or two with him to pinball shows. He might still have a set in stock that he could sell you.

I got my set off him.

#2006 7 years ago
Quoted from NathB:

Hi guys and gals.
My first post on pinside. Been on forum a few times over the last few years but as I got my first machine a few days ago I thought I'd best sign up proper and get involved.
I just got a lovely clean twighlight zone with plenty of nice mods already fitted. Cabinet is a bit faded but I'm not bothered as playfield and plastics all great.
A few days play and all seems well with it. The clock seems to work 80% of the time but every now and then it decides not to. After reading a few older threads I'll give the optos a clean and see if that works. If all else fails I may plump for a new clock board off the German fellow as that seems to get the thumbs up off most.
It should be said I love playing but don't have much knowlage of how these things work (or how to fix them) so I'm hoping this is where you guys can help when problems arise.
Any way that's just a quick intro. I have a couple of questions if that's cool?
Firstly which tools do you think I should invest in in order to maintain and fix my machine?
Secondly how many balls should my machine have in it? I think mines got 4 and 1ceramic at the minute.
Thirdly how many balls should one credit give me? At the moment I get four for one credit but should it be three? I only ask as I want my high scores (low scores)to be relevant to everyone else's.
Thanks in advance. I look forward to getting to know you all.
I'll try and get some pics up later.
Cheers Nath

Congratulations and welcome to the club! My first pin was also a TZ. Mine also had a bunch of issues and over the course of a number of months, I got them all worked out and fixed. Along the way I learned a LOT about fixing pinball machines as TZ shares a ton, mechanically and electrically, with a vast majority of modern games.

As for the tools you'll need…my main go to tool is a ratcheting screwdriver. Something like this(since I know you guys have Stanley over there):
13111954_(resized).jpeg13111954_(resized).jpeg

Don't quite know which hardware stores you've got near you, but I'm sure they'd have something quite like this there. They aren't very expensive for the sets and you actually only end up using about a third of all the bits, but it's still worth getting. I also have a few extensions to go with mine as well. Makes life extremely easy for those hard to reach areas, and it keeps your hands free and clear of all the fiddly bits underneath the playfield when you're trying to unscrew things. You might have other brands there that are better quality, too. Nobody would fault you for buying a proper, high quality one of these. You want it to last.

That'll at least get you going in the right direction. There are very few bespoke tools for pinball machines. Outside of that screwdriver set and its bits, I'd say a standard 1/4" socket set(probably safe to go with deep sockets) and a few different types of pliers, and you'll be set! As you get deeper into certain projects, you may discover a need for some kind of special tool, but these should cover the majority of the basic stuff. When the time comes to fix something, do a search on the forum first. There are plenty of us that have had the same issues before and have worked them out on the forum, along with what the solutions were.

Your game should have 5 steel balls and one ceramic. There should be three in the gumball machine(one is somewhat hidden under the other two you can see).

Typically one credit is three balls, but some people do five balls and I've even played a game that was ten! But, the standard around here is three balls per credit.

Good luck to you on your pinball journey! TZ is the monster that, if you tame it, you'll be able to tame just about any other machine out there!

#2031 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Yea.. i think ill try it myself. I still need to put in the mini pf switch kit, Titan rubbers, the Ingo clock board & CT led's so ill just do a section at a time... cleaning & waxing while putting in new parts.

This is exactly what I did and how I did it. I worked in one area at a time and/or on one item at a time: the gumball machine and its surrounding parts and plastics, the main ramp and its pieces, the metal ramp and the lock area and their assorted pieces, the apron and everything underneath it, pulling each individual light board underneath the playfield one at a time to clean and clean/replace bulbs, …..etc, etc, etc.

Limit yourself to one area or subassembly at a time and you'll be golden. Don't be afraid to ask questions here, either. I know I've asked more than my share of 'em here.

Good luck on your quest!

2 weeks later
#2083 7 years ago

Today is National Twilight Zone day!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/05/11/twilight-zone-fast-facts/

Get a few flips in on our favorite machine in tribute!

#2096 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So you're saying you can make multiple ramp & loop shots with either flipper...bu bu they also told me it has "no flow!"

I ended up standing behind the people playing my game at different times during the tournament to hear people's reactions to the way my TZ plays. Got a lot of "too fast" comments and one guy complaining about the slot scoop. I guess he had a ball plunge directly down the middle from it. My slot scoop is fully rewelded and setup to hit the right flipper just left of dead center. That dude needs to remember that it's a pinball machine and will not do the same exact thing 100% of the time. The ball's spin might have caught just right on the mylar, who knows. I played it a few times on Sunday, too, never did it to me...

I loved seeing people playing with the powerball and shooting the left loop with it. That damn thing FLIES around that loop when you flip it from the right flipper! You'd better be ready!

I haven't fully set it back up since I got it home. I'm curious to see how many plays it got, even with it being off all day Friday.

#2108 7 years ago

Yikes. That thing looks like how my TZ's J121(GI) connector used to be. I guess replacement IDC connectors were hard to get for operators back in the day. My J121 also had soldered wires on it. Needless to say, the connector had a few "hot spots".

If you haven't got a pic of that connector by tonight, I'll try and remember to do it when I get home and upload it tomorrow for you.

#2112 7 years ago

Crap! Completely forgot all about it. Don't worry, I made myself a reminder note this time. I'll get that picture!

#2117 7 years ago

Ok, I tried to get just about every angle I could. Let me know if these are what you needed.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#2128 7 years ago

I put a little bit of solder on the pads of the switches before soldering the wires to them. It made it go a LOT faster upon assembly. Between the wires being tinned and the pads being tinned, all I had to do was add a little bit of heat and they went together super easy.

It also helps big time to have a nice pen style soldering iron.

1 week later
#2219 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea apparently im in the wrong business..... I work all week mowing/weed eating 30-35 customers just to make 700-800 a week. Maybe i sld be making mods ftom the comfort of home lol. I actually enjoy doing lawn care and it's great exercise

To get you started with your new business, I'll let you in on a little secret about most mods for TZ and TAF and many others…. they're all just repainted diecast pencil sharpeners.

Here's your start:
http://www.pencilthings.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=13&search=sharpeners+die+cast&show=100&page=1

You can get them even cheaper on eBay and other places, too.

1 week later
#2269 7 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

Sometimes you have to just step back, and trouble shoot step by step.

…and wait for people's suggestions before going and trying things yourself.

There are a LOT of folks on here with very detailed and specific knowledge and experience with TZ that should be heeded and respected accordingly. ONLY doing the things they suggest and waiting for their response with the results you got is how you go about using their tech-spertise(like that word?) from a distance.

I choose to bow to them, too, but you can do as you see fit.

#2271 7 years ago

Excellent point, but there are a lot of creative people out there who do crazy things to their stuff. I've worked and "hobbied" in the automotive field and the acoustic guitar world for a while and my perpetual surprise with what people do with their stuff and how they use things improperly or never service things will never cease to amaze me.

Were you around when we(Pinside) discovered my TZ had an FIRQ interrupt error? That was a unique one!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-slow-dmd-animations-and-parts-suggestions

3 weeks later
#2332 7 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Chinese checkers fit without much flexing in mine. Even better when it's common to find that game at Goodwill. Dumped them in some soap & water, dried them, and in they go.

Yep. I bought mine new in a Pressman brand chinese checkers game from a school supply store. Cost me just under $4. Didn't use the blacks or whites, if memory serves me correctly. Never liked those flavors anyway. Besides, they don't look as good amongst the blues, red, yellows, and greens.

And once you press them into the areas on either side of the main chute where the actual pinballs go, they ain't comin' out unless you remove and disassemble the whole gumball machine. I speak from firsthand experience.

#2334 7 years ago

That's exactly how I did it, too, but for you noobs: Whatever you do, make sure you remove the screws that hold down the "feet" of the gumball machine first! (There are four of them.)

#2336 7 years ago

I know. But those feet are unfortunately extremely fragile due to heat cycling and age and are notorious for not coming out with the gumball machine.

My gumball machine only had three feet total when I removed it and one of those was already broken off for me. It was screwed down to the playfield, but I think it was just there for moral support.

#2346 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

or use small screws/nuts when replacing.

…which is exactly what I did on mine when I installed the GLM mini switch kit. Makes those plastics adjustable and easy to get perfectly straight and also removable should I need to do any more work on the mini playfield that I'd like to have them out of the way.

1 week later
#2358 7 years ago

Strange indeed.

If that opto is testing fine, I'd actually start checking your other switches and optos, namely the ones that tell the computer to load the auto-fire and send a ball out. You just have to think about the game situations where the auto-fire would send a ball out, is all. Sometimes it's not the thing that messing up that has something wrong with it, but the signals that tell that thing to do what it does are what's really causing the problem.

Do you have the ball save timer option on? If so, how many balls do you have installed in your game? If you've only got the 5 steel and 1 ceramic, I'm thinking there might be a trough switch or the outhole that is activating even when there is no ball there. When the game is reloading the gumball after a LITZ wizard mode, that's exactly what it does. It sees a ball in the outhole but since the trough is full, it sends one to the auto-fire kicker.

Good luck!

#2369 7 years ago

Can't wait to see some install pics and the vid of your flashers, Coyote.

#2379 7 years ago

Thanks for doing this Coyote. It's always great to get a better understanding for what the game's designers originally wanted to do and what/why things were removed later on.

I wonder if all those extra flashers would have created a necessity for added circuitry that they just couldn't fit on the power board or if they just decided that the game benefitted more just having the flashers on the edges of the playfield and not in the dead center of it. We may never really know, but I'm all for anyone bringing a prototype or sample game back to the way it was meant to be built. I can also definitely appreciate that you didn't make any kind of permanent modifications to anything to get this done. It's the best of both worlds, preserving the game's originality while enjoying its original design.

Well done!

#2385 7 years ago
Quoted from rbissett:

All that and NO color dmd...

Only because he couldn't make it himself for less than 50 bucks.

If he knew about the DMDExtender, I'm sure he'd do that at least. Although, I'm afraid to imagine of the colors he'd choose!

3 weeks later
#2498 7 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

I used a dremmel to grind off the back of the rivet.

Yep. With the washer that's there and how little of the rivet is actually mushroomed, it goes pretty quick.

#2509 7 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

...then do the GLM mini-PF switches swap later- that is an all day event from what I read about it!

Nah, only took me about four hours or so to do, and I consider myself just a high level tinkerer, not an electrician or master solderer at all. I took my time removing the mini playfield and cleaned the crap out it before putting it back, too. I even rewired a couple things to get them out of the way of an errant ball strike.

It may feel like it's going to be a tough job, but it really isn't in the end. Just take it slow and double check everything before continuing on to the next switch. The nice thing is, everything is soldered so it's fixable should you need to do so for any reason.

#2532 7 years ago

It's not an opto. It's a coil of wires. Cleaning it will only make it shiny.

3 weeks later
#2746 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I was unloading my TZ from my truck by myself today, and I'm pretty sure I tore my right bicep and at least strained my left bicep. Just got back from Urgent Care, and I see an Orthopedic surgeon next week. Very strange hearing the sound of walking on loose gravel in my arms and watching the muscles move around under the skin like worms! I'm extremely sore tonight, and I expect to be sore all weekend. Anyone have experience with a torn, partially torn, or strained bicep (between the bicep and elbow)?

Yikes, Sparky! I know the feeling well. Almost exactly one year apart I partially tore each of my calf muscles. One side was a bit worse than the other. There's nothing worse than hearing that pop. The sad part is that when it happened the first time, I went to urgent care and all they did was give me some muscle relaxer as the doctor wasn't convinced it was torn. I truly think it's because he didn't want to order an X-ray to be done and to go into full diagnosis mode. He was half-assing it and I knew it during the appointment. He just kept calling it a sprain and didn't want to do anything further. Thanks Obama! The second one wasn't nearly as bad and it healed way quicker and looks 99% the way it used to(I had that one properly checked out as I insisted on it!). But the first one, my right side, looks a bit off in comparison.

They do heal pretty well and pretty quickly. You'll be surprised down the road when you're fully healed and think about how bad they were. Thankfully, you're doing it the right way and getting surgery done to repair them properly, although it sounds as if your tears are a bit more serious than mine were. Good luck with the recovery and make sure you do all your physical therapy properly, too. I know way too many people who give up on their PT because it hurts too much or it's too hard and let me tell you, they're paying for it these days.

4 weeks later
#2837 7 years ago

Well, haven't played my TZ for weeks and it didn't like that very much. It now has the dreaded double flipper button reset problem. Time to start running down the list on the PinWiki for things to check. I hope it's just the thermistor since I want to rewire my power box anyway. Since mine was an export, it doesn't have the outlet in it. I'd like to put that back in now that it's in the States again.

#2848 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Start with measuring across c30 on the MPU. Make note of the voltage. Then inspect and reseat your J101, J102, J114 and J210 connectors. Try one at a time to see if there is a particular one that makes the issue go away and measure the C30 again. Anything over 4.9v should be good.

Well, my game is fixed. Sadly it was just the Z-connector that goes between J114 and J210. Well, either that or J114 or J210 themselves. I pulled and reseated that whole thing at the same time, then everything was kosher.

I say "sadly" because I really wanted a good reason to replace parts in, and subsequently redo, the power box, installing the service outlet at the same time. Oh well, I guess I'll just play it for now…

#2850 7 years ago

I thought about checking the pins for solder cracks/loose pins, but after it didn't reset on the next game, I figured it can wait until after I move into my new house. Then again, if it happens again before that time, then it's time to pull the CPU and that Z connector and put it under the microscope, so to speak. I'll probably even just eliminate that Z connector as it's just a huge mess of potential corrosion, resistance, and failing joints.

#2868 7 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

Today he soldered his first TZ-clock-board under my assistance. He did a very very good job, all solder joints are perfect.

Makes sense. He's got smaller hands and better eyesight!

AGB885, you got a screaming deal! Just remember that you're supporting child labor.

Seriously though, of all the parts, replacements, and upgrades I've made to my TZ, Ingo's board is by far my favorite. It was super easy to install and adjust to my liking. Plus his customer service with it was top notch.

#2879 7 years ago
Quoted from AGB885:

And decide between the cool whites or the color changing

Cool whites are great behind the standard clock face, while the color changing are best behind the white clock face. The colors change at such a nice pace that it isn't distracting at all to gameplay and seems to fit the theme quite well, too. Either way, you're getting them both so you can just switch it out whenever. Also, if you're getting a new housing and might also need a new front lens and/or clock face, I'd suggest getting this setup:

ebay.com link: Bally Twilight Zone Pinball Machine BRAND NEW PETG 3 Piece CLOCK Plates

I can't remember who they are on Pinside, but it's a neat kit that'll further add to your clock's versatility, making it easy to change your mind as often as you want.

#2881 7 years ago

That might be the case, but for those that want the correct white clock face, this is the only way to get it. The white decal version that's out there now uses the wrong font for the numbers versus that of the original sample style white clock face.

1 week later
#2935 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Is there a simple way to move the yellow sign in order to let the right orbit more visible?

There is a company, can't remember who at the moment, that sells a mod that extends that sign out to the right more, exposing that orbit a bit better. It's basically just that same piece with a longer arm that attaches to the ramp.

#2946 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

I was wondering how difficult the clock board is to install? I bought my Indigo board 8 months ago but have not installed it because my TZ is running perfectly. I don't want to screw anything up. However, if it is pretty easy I should try.

Installing Ingo's board is very easy. Just follow these instructions and you'll be done before you know it. It may seem daunting, but doing the install yourself will also familiarize you with the inner-workings of the clock and, should you need to rebuild it for any reason in the future, you'll be ready to do so without fear or hesitation.

http://www.garrett-jess.com/tz/ikclockinstall/Clock_Installation

#2948 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Looks great, but what about my Ingo board?

The Ingo board is built more to address the proper functioning of the the clock rather than to address the lighting. That said, it does use the best LEDs on the market and they fill up the clock extremely well, too. The Superflux's he uses have a lens on them that spreads the light out fairly well considering the proximity of the board to the back of the face. Plus, there's a dial on it that you can use to turn the intensity down on the LEDs so they're not so "hot".

Different boards for different purposes. I just think it's great to have so many options for one small part of a single pinball machine in a niche hobby. We're definitely spoiled.

#2950 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Awesome info, I didn't realize my Ingo board had a dial pot to adjust the brightness. Very cool

Depends on what version you have, but I think he started installing those on v1.8. My v1.9 board has it. As you look at the face of it, it should be that little blue square on the bottom center-right area.

#2984 7 years ago

TZ was my first pin, too. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

#2996 7 years ago
Quoted from waveman:

I also replaced the clock face sticker with a printed decal at the same time, so this is not quite a 1 comparison. Decal link:

If you're not going to use the white face one of those in that set, I'd be interested in it….

2 weeks later
#3036 7 years ago

I like games that have a multiball with one jackpot shot for a ton of points, rather than those that have a multiball with multiple jackpot shots. Feels less fulfilling, and less rewarding to have a jackpot that's that small and easy to get. When you've got balls flying all over the place and you hear "Jackpot" repeated four or five times in two seconds, it doesn't quite mean as much.

Not saying that those games aren't fun in their own right, just not as challenging in certain respects. Requalifying a single jackpot shot can be very tough on some games and makes the higher point award more worth it, to me anyway.

1 month later
#3160 7 years ago

Yeah, that one on eBay will be there forever at $150. Doesn't even look as clean as yours, either.

I can see $50 for a true NOS powerball, but the buyer should really be someone who's sent their TZ to HEP, or Kelly, or McCune, or someone like that. The used ones clean up fairly well and I've never really seen one with any kind of chips or scratches in it. Not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen any that worn before.

#3162 7 years ago

Sounds like the right spiral opto is shorted to one of the lock optos somehow. The voltage it's sending when it gets triggered is also triggering one of the lock optos.

Go into switch edge test and break the right spiral opto beam(switch 81) with your finger and see if one of the lock optos(switches 84 and 85) triggers as well.

#3190 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

I have the low profile switches from Great Lakes Modular for the mini PF. Has anyone installed them before? I am wondering how difficult it is. I am starting to learn the pinball trade and might give this a shot if I have a reasonable chance of succeeding.

Could've sworn I posted this link earlier in this thread in response to someone else asking about this same thing, but I guess it may be further back than LitzDoc has seen:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-tech-glm-mini-switch-kit-installwrite-upimpressions

As long as your soldering skills are halfway decent, you shouldn't really have any problems.

#3197 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

I just pre-ordered one of these new Robbie the robots for ten dollars

Awesome! Sadly, though, within a month after those ship out, we'll see them with about 5 LEDs added to them, mounted to a clear plastic piece, and selling on pinball sites for $140.

#3202 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The robots are pretty rare and not $10.

Different maker, different style Robbie.

My point was that someone will take this cheap(but cool) $10 one, when it comes out in May, and throw some LEDs in it and charge a crazy amount of money for it.

#3224 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

At least I'm sure its original the pearl white repop one is 65 grams.

Wrong again.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-powerball-original

The new ones will look identical to the old ones if you gave them 20 years to age and never cleaned them. It has to do with the occlusions in the ceramic when it's compressed. The new ones are made the same way, just with a slightly different compound, which makes them a tiny bit lighter in some cases. Since the originals were most likely all made at one time, fulfilling one large order from B/W, they all probably weigh the same. The new ones will most likely vary in weight from batch to batch and from supplier to supplier.

And no, I don't want a chocolate covered pretzel...

#3242 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Interesting. The clips range from whitewood to prototype (can tell via clock face and red 'Camera' insert) to samples ('spiral' sign in gumball sign location) and then production games. All of them are covered there. Neat.

I love that video. I've watched it many times over the years and every time it makes me curious about how the game would've played with the colored clock inserts tied to the modes of the inserts between the flippers. I've heard and read very little about that feature as it was scrapped fairly early in development.

Among the differently colored inserts on the whitewood, I noticed the 500,000 insert on the mini playfield is blue. Perhaps one of the goals of the blue colored section of the clock?

#3249 7 years ago

I think I may be heading down to my local print shop to have this printed. It'd be fun to put in my TZ for when I take it to another show and let people try and figure out why it's in there and when my game was made and all that other fun stuff!

TZColorClock (resized).jpgTZColorClock (resized).jpg

#3253 7 years ago

It's ben a while since I've had to deal with trough issues, but I think the LED only comes on when a steel ball is in place. Have you tried that yet? Just put a ball as close to that sensor coil as possible in switch edge test and you'll get your answer.

#3255 7 years ago

Also, since I've had a couple PM's about it, I'm the one that drew that prototype clock face. I watermarked it and cranked down the resolution, too. I'm fairly confident as to its accuracy, even though I'm only working from VHS video stills and blurry photographs. But it still could be slightly off somewhere.

I did it more for novelty than anything else since the code for this setup was never really completed and only whitewoods exist(and hopefully still do somewhere) that were going to actually use this feature. If someone has a TZ whitewood and needs this decal for their clock, I'll definitely be happy to send you one for free, once I get mine made. But you have to send me a lot of pictures in trade!

1 week later
#3331 7 years ago

The one I really want to do is like the one I saw at PAGG last year in the larger building where the guy went and painted a thin piece of wood black, drilled a bunch of tiny holes in it, then took some EL paper separated into a few pieces, and had them flicker at different intervals resulting in a twinkling starfield effect. It looked amazing. I was quite jealous.

Admittedly, it's kind of involved to make that whole getup, but the payoff is truly special.

#3339 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Doing it with something like this would probably be amazing:

Sadly, those don't have the flicker/twinkling effect.

This one has the effect I want:
http://www.wiedamark.com/200strandledfiberopticstarfieldkit.aspx

#3357 7 years ago

Black looks fantastic on TZ. But since I'm so non-committal with that kind of thing, I'm just going to get some nice semi-gloss black vehicle wrap and do it that way. That way, it's easily reversible and I won't mind as much when it starts to wear a bit. It'll be easily replaceable and cheap to do.

4 weeks later
#3509 7 years ago

I truly hope you didn't find that on CL because that'd mean that I missed it!

#3511 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Thanks! Been a dream machine for close to 10 years now, can't wait to dig in. I wish one would have come up locally but hardly anything ever does outside of that pachinko machine. This is a road trip.

Since I got mine off Fresno CL four years ago, I haven't seen another one since. So I know what you mean. And yes, I see that same pachinko machine all the time, too.

How far did you have to go to get it?

It's a good feeling driving home with that thing back there, isn't it?

#3636 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Is it wrong that I am aroused by a piece of electronic hardware?

Happens to a lot of us.....

#3708 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Yeah, if the original is fine, looking at $40+ for a single ball gives some pause. I wouldn't mind having a spare on hand but feels high.

Some people have had good results cleaning their powerball, but I've always hesitated to do so since the owner's manual says not to do so.

I can't really see how it'd hurt to clean it with something non-abrasive and non-caustic or non-alcoholic. I don't think there was a special coating on those things. I haven't cleaned mine yet, but mainly because it's not that dirty and I like the pearlescent look to it.

1 week later
#3862 7 years ago

For those that were looking for them, I am the one that designed the cards on @seatmandan's TZ. I posted them here in this thread a looooong time ago. But, to save you having to search back through the entire thread, I'll post them again right now. One is a PDF and the other is JPG. Whichever one you decide to print, make sure you are printing at 100% size. This means that when your print dialogue box pops up after to hit the print button, or control p, make sure that the print scaling is turned off and that the printer knows to print the image at 100% size. Most PDF programs will automatically downscale to something like 93% size, which would result in undersized cards.

Enjoy!

*Edit: I don't know why the PDF preview is coming out light, but when I downloaded it and opened it, it looked fine. It might be best to download them both and print both out, then use the better version.*

TZM351-Unbordered2.jpgTZM351-Unbordered2.jpg

#3882 7 years ago

Does anybody know if Ingo, german-pinball , is still on holiday? I sent him a PM over a week ago and he hasn't responded yet.

Has everyone who ordered one of his white clock boards get theirs yet? Mine hasn't shown up in the mail yet and I'm beginning to worry that it might have "sprouted legs and walked off", if you know what I mean. It's been an issue in my area recently, with packages being taken from doorsteps and front porches. I figured it was small enough that it'd fit in the mailbox and that wouldn't be an issue, but maybe not.

I'm kind of hoping that he just hasn't sent it yet...

#3891 6 years ago

Ok. Thanks, all. I know he's usually johnny-on-the-spot with communications, so I figured he was still on holiday.

Oh, and thanks for all the kind words about my cards! Someone brought up a good point about the manufacturing info being on the card instead of the quote. Once I get back to work on Monday, I'll see what I can come up with. No promises, though!

#3922 6 years ago

Bet your TZ doesn't have this....

IMG_0373 (resized).JPGIMG_0373 (resized).JPG

I think I'm gonna use a better, slightly denser paper stock and turn up the brightness on the LEDs(it IS an Ingo board, of course).

#3938 6 years ago

The real trick would be to use a remote battery holder with a small "battery tender " type circuit, like you have on classic cars that sit in the garage most of the year. A few lithium-ion rechargeable batteries in that pack and theoretically, you'd never have to worry about them again.

#3939 6 years ago

Better quality paper, color laser printer. Looks waaaay better in person than the last one. Pretty happy overall with how it looks. Gonna leave it on for Pin-a-Go-Go and see what people say...

IMG_0376 (resized).JPGIMG_0376 (resized).JPG

#3973 6 years ago

This is only TZ related since it happened on my TZ, but:

Does anybody use any kind of tilt mechanism dampener? I ask because mine seems to be swinging like a swing set in a windstorm most of the time. Most annoyingly, it happened two nights ago when I was on pace to break my GC score and as soon as I collected the Spiral extra ball award, it went Danger, Danger 2x, and Tilt in about the same amount of time it took to read those words. I immediately opened up the coin door and that thing is dancin' in there.

Now, I'm not a nudger, nor am I one of those players that every time they hit the flipper buttons it looks like someone's got a taser to their butts. I consider myself a very calm player. in fact, I rarely even nudge a pin when the ball is heading to the outlanes(usually because I feel like when I DO nudge it, I'm actually HELPING the ball drain).

So how do I calm this thing down? I ended up just 14mil points short of my GC score of 1.82Bil, and it really got to me that if I had collected that extra ball, I would have obliterated that GC. Man, was it fun getting there, though.

Oh, and Coyote, I think you and I have our games set up almost identical. I, too, love long game times.

#3978 6 years ago

Played my TZ the other night...I'm hearing some strange noises and I'm hoping they're normal and that other can either confirm what's happening is normal or can suggest a fix.

Is it normal for the magnets to fire AFTER a mini playfield session(powerball mania, defeat the power, LITZ, etc.)?

It seems like after one of those sessions is done, and the ball is in the trough on it's way to the slot machine, I hear the sound of one of the magnets firing. I know the sound well as while it's not normally so loud in my TZ, it's quite noticeable in my TAF. It would make sense if this is a normal operation of the code or something to confirm an on/off state or something, but since I don't know, I thought I'd ask the experts here.

My TZ is a standard production run game(8/93) and I'm running the 9.2 rom chipset.

#3980 6 years ago

No. No credit dots at all. The session isn't timing out, it's when you defeat the power(by exiting the playfield through the top), or when LITZ has finished and it's starting to locate all the balls. I'll usually hear the sound of a magnet firing in that two seconds of quiet time.

#3987 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yes, that's normal. The game will pulse the right, then left magnets in quick succession, just once, after a few seconds of the timer running out. It's to make sure that a ball didn't get stuck on the powefield. It will only do this once, though.

Awesome. Made sense to me that it would for a few reasons, but it's nice to confirm that info. I don't remember hearing it when it was in its old spot in the house, but this new room is quieter and I've been hearing more of the noises the game just normally makes. Plus, with taking it to a show in a couple weeks, I want to be sure everything is working as it should. Thanks, Coyote!

#3989 6 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

I'll be the inebriated yet coherent guy, possibly asking the same question thrice!

Well, maybe wait to start drinking until after you've got the answers so you'll remember!

My TZ will most likely be next to my TAF, so feel free to ask me anything. I may not have all the answers, but I definitely feel your TZ pain. And let me tell you once you've got everything together and working properly, the accomplishment and satisfaction you'll feel for having a fully working and mostly reliable TZ is fantastic. Trust me.

#4039 6 years ago

When you're ready to up the challenge, change the settings for piano and slot lamps to only light by ramp shots and not to start ON with every ball. This effectively doubles the amount of shots you have to make to get to LITZ.

There are even further ways to make the game harder once you get used to that, too. That's not even approaching the standard PAPA tournament setup. That's where you start to separate the men from the boys.

#4065 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I removed the back seats, placed a few 1x4 skids in and she slid right in, room to spare! 2017 Toyota Tundra crew max, I tooled around Lubbock Tx today with ease after the pick up, then headed home, no problems... we did remove it from a basement in pieces, I still need to plug all the connectors into the boards

Umm....you know there's a bed back there, right?

1 week later
#4097 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

After the first multiball, all subsequent multiballs require two locks.

And need to be started by shooting the lock, correct? Or is that just for the third multiball?

#4098 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

By the way, The game came with a brand new Mirco playfield set. I have no intentions of doing a playfield swap at the moment mainly because the playfield in the game is in excellent shape. I will post pics of the playfield set later today. It is clear coated and no drilling required. It will sell shipping included and for a bit of a discount. PM if interested. Thanks!

What color is the area between the flippers, red or pink?

#4101 6 years ago

Cool, thanks. I'm still undecided as to if I want to buy a repro or just have mine restored. It's roughly the same price, given the condition of my PF.

That said, I don't think you'll have a problem selling that PF set.

#4105 6 years ago

And I can see that it's a 3 magnet version.

1 week later
#4213 6 years ago

It's a good idea to remove the balls from the gumball machine, although not 100% absolutely necessary. I raise my playfield up all the time to work on stuff and only remove the balls in the trough when I do. The balls in the gumball machine will most likely just fall into the VUK area and the subway ramp that feeds it. Once you turn it back on, it'll refill the gumball machine.

That said, because you're moving the game around, I'd empty it. The easiest way to do that is to let the game do it for you. Go into test mode and find the gumball test selection. It'll bring up a screen that shows all the switches and sensors involved with the gumball operation. At the very top of all that will be the dialog are that shows you what test is being run. Hit the (+) button until that dialog reads "Empty Gumball Machine". Then, one by one, the balls will all come out of the slot machine. Catch 'em all, shut the game off, and you're ready to move it!

1 week later
#4300 6 years ago

Do you have the right rom chip in it? I'd imagine that since that feature was removed from the game extremely early on, that subsequent roms had that code removed or deactivated. If you do have the right rom in there, I think it's a setting in the menus that you have to change.

But I could be wrong.

#4304 6 years ago

So that code exists all the way up to 9.4H? Crazy...

Learn something new every day!

#4306 6 years ago

Ah, ok. So I was half right, in a sense. Good to know Ted put it back in 9.4H.

1 week later
#4383 6 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

I see that, but the part linked doesnt have a slot in it, so I am just confused as to how that works.

You've got a different coin door than what that orange part from Marco is for. Can't remember the name of that supplier for that style of door for the original type that came on TZs, but hat orange part is for most WPC era B/W made doors. What you've got is different.

I think this is what you're looking for:
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=891-1113-01

I don't know that company at all, I've never purchased from them, just found it on their site.

#4384 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

All games have it. I mean, all TZ games - from Sample to the last one off the factory floor.
And to this date, I have yet to head of an explanation for it, other than possible test point.

You should plug a DMM into it and play a game to see if/when it gets signal and what's going on when it happens. It'd be interesting to see how much/what kind of voltage it gets...

#4388 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It's a lamp column. Yellow/Red. That column ONLY feeds the 19-lamp door light board. So I'm not sure why they would have a junction in it like that, honestly..
Edit to add - It really can't be for anything 'missing', like a missing feature or something, because you would need a red lamp wire as well.. :/

Is it vacant even on your's? Even with the original flasher board installed? Does your door light board have four empty flasher holes or two?

Sorry for all the questions, but I love a good mystery.

1 month later
#4557 6 years ago

...and it is the only board that actually corrects the inherent signal problem that the original Bally design had.

#4576 6 years ago

Makes sense that if it was dead, it wouldn't be all of a sudden start working at some point. Unless you have gremlins that come in and FIX things at night. My gremlins only come in a break things.

Have you contacted him about it? I'm certain he'll try to take care of you if you contact him and tell him about it.

1 week later
#4598 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

As an aside, I do not know who got Ted's game. But if I ever come across it, I'm putting my name on it.

This should be the next great pinball quest......We need to find that TZ!

#4602 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

As an aside - can anyone here make me a replacement plastic?

RyanClaytor has the method down pretty good these days. Which plastic do you need to replace?

#4626 6 years ago

I was surprised, too. That's a great deal.

#4629 6 years ago

Looked nice to me, outside of some typical cabinet fade. But for the TZ aficionado, a great deal, given this particular one's place in TZ production history.

#4631 6 years ago

If it went to someone who knows that they were buying a sample, I'm sure they're dancing in the streets.

1 week later
#4670 6 years ago

There were some sets that PPS made a bit ago that didn't have enough yellow in the mix. Which means that the reds would be lighter and the black not as deep. That might be one of those sets as that's kinda what it looks like.

2 weeks later
#4747 6 years ago

Just check out http://www.highendpins.com. He's done a number of blacked-out TZs. They all look awesome. Some games look cool with black trim and stuff, TZ with the black side rails and lockdown bar looks like it should've come that way from the factory. He's also done some FULL black-out TZs that have all the wire forms and other bits in them blacked out. Peruse his photo gallery and be amazed!

2 weeks later
#4784 6 years ago

Such a good feeling, isn't it?

6 months later
#5690 6 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

...from Marco Specialties. First off, the image on the website is different to what I received...

Well, in their defense, what they sent you is more true to the factory original white clock face. For the one that's pictured on their site, the numbers are of the style of the four-corner-colored version. Whomever made that first version with the thicker numbers so many years ago got it wrong. Thankfully, people have noticed and fixed it.

The sad thing is, the gold portion on that "thick number version" is fantastic. Maybe someday we'll get a decal that gets it all spot on!

#5710 6 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

anybody have a line on cheaper gumballs, seems kind of high for some marbles....

I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/Pressman-2053-12-Chinese-Checkers/dp/B000NN8DLW

You could find them just about anywhere for well under $10. I got mine at a teacher supply store for four bucks and some change. They're plastic and slightly duller than glass marbles, but so are real life gumballs. Some of them can have seams, but you won't end up using all of them anyway. I took out the black ones since I've never seen black gumballs, and placed one of each color in at a time so they were as even as possible.

#5728 6 years ago

Umm, don't go awarding the pass just yet. My game had a bolt in there, too, and it was unreliable at best as it was too small for the holes, but I took it out when I was going through the game just after I bought it. I couldn't find the pin and clip anywhere at the time so I found a long, flat-headed solid rivet, scored a ring around the end and put a push on nylon nut on it. Been working perfectly for over 5 years now!

2 weeks later
#5816 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Says 'great condition' but from the 4 poor photos you can see the left side of the back box looks bad, the lock down bar has bolts through it, and the playfield is grimy. You could do better.

Quoted from thedoctor:

That machine is noticeably filthy. The playfield has lines of grime on it. The flipper rubbers don't match, and the red ones are clearly worn. The cabinet is pretty trashy. It's very clearly been neglected, I'd beware.

Funny, that's almost the exact condition I bought mine in years ago. Got it for $3400 after talking him down for the cost to replace the lockdown bar. Much cleaning, some fixing, and lots of love later, it plays 100% and looks fantastic, playfield-wise. The cabinet has seen better days, sure, but it makes it worry-free for when I have to move it or bring it to shows. If I had fully restored it, it'd never leave the house. Cabinet work is the last thing on my list since it's basic woodworking stuff. Making a TZ play 100% error-free for the last 4+ years is the larger achievement to be most proud of.

Given the way prices are going these days, that TZ on eBay is a decent deal if the price doesn't get bid up too much more. DMD works and looks nice, the clock works(look at the time on it and the time the auction was posted, then factor in a few minutes to post the auction), all of the GI works, looks like the attract mode is working normally.... A lot of good can be gleaned from those bad photos. The only thing that would concern me is the right ramp diverter being in the down position in that one picture. Could be as easy as the link being missing or detached, or more complex like the solenoid being locked on. Everything else is fairly easy to deal with.

3 years later
#11614 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Does anyone know what the STKR means on the image?

I'm thinking it was equipped from the factory with a dollar bill acceptor and upstacker assembly, or at least the attaching hardware for it.

1 week later
#11656 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

I still want to know what ArcadeAction 's secret is for a good TZ diverter catch, but....

One thing that helps is his flippers aren't as strong as others, possibly including yours. One of the first things I did to my game was full flipper rebuilds: sleeves, bushings, everything. I've also got a nice tilt to my machine so it pays nice and fast, no slow rollers back down the playfield. If I didn't have a magnet on that diverter, the ball would bounce out every single time. Even my piano flipper is crazy strong now.

The magnet that's on mine is just the regular black kind you can get at most hardware stores. Use some 3M Outdoor double-sided foam tape and it'll good to go for years. Don't use a neodymium(rare earth) magnet as they're too strong and most likely won't drop the ball upon release, let alone it'd really magnetize your balls super quick.

#11669 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

A spring might be needed, yep. It's tricky because you don't want the spring force to be so strong that a very slow ball can't make it through the gate. There's definitely a lot more goofing around to do. Hopefully it can be made to work with no extra parts.

Three thoughts for you part:

1) What would happen if you bent that rod that shoots up, down so it parallels the top? Wouldn't it further limit backwards/unwanted directional travel more?

2) When you are done with the functionality side of it, pare down the edges so it matches the top of the diverter perfectly, then also see if you can put some sort of TZ related design either cut into it or on a separate cut out you could add on top. In fact, you could probably have a number of designs for people to choose from, including a blank option, so people would have a choice when ordering.

3) I don't know what kind of laser cutter you've got and what kinds of materials it can pierce, but once the design is done, if you could make one out of stainless that fits directly on top of the factory piece and cut to the same shape, I'd bet it'd look so good that people would think it was a factory piece. Seems like you could cut the piece out and only have to make a couple 90deg bends then put the rod in place and you'd be golden. You could even put a design in that, too, if people wanted!

Lots of options for your part, my friend. Good luck!

2 weeks later
#11726 2 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Anyone has any news from « coyote » ?
I tried to reach him without success and he is off for a while now from pinside.

I sent him a PM a couple weeks ago. No response. I hope everything's ok.

#11742 2 years ago

Pinside dmacy (I think that's who it was) has a TZ playfield swap thread that's very recent that the guy who drew the pattern for that piece, posted it in that thread. You can just take that file to a local sign/plastic cutter shop and they can do it for you, or you can just get a piece of plexiglass at a local hardware store and make it yourself with a dremel tool with a cutting wheel. Doesn't have to be perfect since it'll be underneath the mini playfield.

#11785 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipperfun:

I didn’t get a manual but I’ve downloaded it now and we are good to go! Thank you!

I didn't get one when I got my TAF, so I ended up buying one, but I actually prefer the digital versions because I've got them on my iPad and it allows my aging eyes to not have to strain so much trying to read the smaller print areas as I can zoom in really well with it there and I don't have to worry about having enough light to read by, too.

2 months later
#12140 1 year ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Going back to February of 2013 I had an issue with my TZ where none of the switches on column 4 would register. The culprit turned out to be the U-20 (ULN2803) chip on the MPU board. Replacing the chip fixed the issue.
Perhaps a short zapped this chip on your TZ as well. It may be worth checking.
The link below from REC.GAMES.PINBALL details the troubleshooting and the eventual solution to the issue that I had back in 2013.
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/_4Iezuvz-ZU
Gord

Same here with my TZ. Had a column out, replaced the ULN2803 and all was good to go. Just make sure that when you get it done, you put a socket in there for the next one. It'll save a massive headache if it ever happens again.

#12164 1 year ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Joined the club with a pretty solid game. The only issues I have found are a missing clock power board and the dreaded proximity through sensor. The game won’t load balls to the gumball machine and also doesn’t sense power ball in the trough.[quoted image]

Haha! I think that's the condition MOST of us got our TZ's in! All fairly easy things to fix, typically. Just take your time diagnosing what's actually going on with the trough sensor and the gumball machine optos/solenoids. Looks to be in really nice shape, and already has the mini switch kit for the mini playfield, too!

1 month later
#12301 1 year ago

Looks amazing, and, it's got the right cards on it!

1 month later
#12409 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

New plastics. Titan rings. Just think how spiffy your game would look with this :
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-883X-13&Store_Code=PP
LTG : )

Has anybody ever tried to polish their original clock housing so it was more shiny and clear rather than the factory slightly opaque? I know the blue and red versions can come in crystal clear versions, but I haven't seen the non-colored in a crystal clear version, at least in recent memory. Any info would be great.

#12431 1 year ago
Quoted from jid:

Was it difficult to install? I was hoping to read how to do it before I break the machine. But it looks like a great idea!

At some point, I either posted how I installed my kit years ago, or actually just posted the official GLM instructions that came with my kit, or both. It's been so long I can't remember. But the information is here on Pinside somewhere for sure.

Edit: Turns out they were actually both in the same thread. Have fun!

1 week later
#12450 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

Replaced my 1993 clock with a new modern LED one but the minute hand seems to trigger the 15 minute opto all over the place when doing the clock test. Sometimes after it passes 30, sometimes after 45. Not super experienced with the clock so not sure what the root of this problem is.

What brand board did you put in? I'm guessing it's not Ingo's board since they're so hard to get recently.

How does the hour hand register? When you run the test are both the hours and minutes registering?

If it's a single opto, or multiple optos that are bad, the manual has two pages devoted to deciphering the clock test to be able to tell which opto might be bad. Pages 1-18 and 1-19. If you don't have a manual you can download it from TZ's IPDB.org page:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2684/Bally_1993_Twilight_Zone_Operations_Manual_OCR_searchable.pdf

I'd suggest running the clock test in forward slow mode and watch the far right column in the switch matrix during the test. The top four squares are the minutes and the bottom four are the hours. I'm curious if there are optos that are registering as both minutes and hours somehow. You'll know by watching the switch matrix and the checkboxes during the test. Obviously the hours don't register in the same way as the minutes do, so if the minutes checkboxes are staying lit and the hours aren't, there's something else going on.

If the test reveals the minutes acting as how the hours should and vice versa, then you might have the two connectors going to the clock reversed. I'd say to try to switch them back first, but without knowing for sure what might happen, I'd advise against that. Typically you can tell which connector goes where by how the wires have settled into their "home positions".

With all that testing you should have a better idea of what the clock test is actually telling you about your clock. More information is better for the TZ guru's like Coyote to know what's actually happening with your clock. I've had mine for 10 years now and know a lot about it as I have rebuilt almost every mech and piece on it, but I'd swear Coyote has a whole section of his brain devoted to TZ. Worse comes to worse, you can always put the old clock boards back in as a way of making sure that the problem is isolated to the new board and that nothing else happened somewhere else.

#12461 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

A whole row (or column I can’t remember) of the lamp matrix is always on and flickering.

Quoted from Zee:

Check for a mis-wired diode in that row or column.

That's the beauty of the lamp and switch matrices of these B/W games. At the top of the columns and the left side of the rows for both the lamp and switch matrix diagrams found in the manual are the wires used in that daisy chain of that circuit and their identifying colors. My guess is once you find the faulty row or column, start at one end of that line and visit each location to check for proper connection, cold solder joints, diodes that might be unattached, diode lugs that might be shorting up against something else, or whatever as you go from location to location along that row or column. Makes it super easy to track down the culprit most of the time.

Of course, if your clock board is knackered to begin with, fixing those steady-on lights may not help but at least you'll have fixed that separate issue along the way. Good luck!

Lamp Matrix (resized).pngLamp Matrix (resized).pngSwitch Matrix (resized).pngSwitch Matrix (resized).png
#12469 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

Thanks. Yeah it's definitely row 5. Every light on that row is constantly on and dim, with the Upper Right 5 Million going apeshit. Are the diodes for the door panel lights on the opposite side of the board when viewed from underneath?

Quoted from Zee:

Mis-wired diodes are usually not on a circuit board but rather on the single lamps on metal brackets where it is possible to accidentally reverse wiring when doing a repair.

Yep. The easy way to find out which one in that row is the culprit, I like to use Sesame Street logic: "One of these things is not like the other." Study the direction of the diodes on the other same-base type lamps in that row and the one that's different(if at all) is the offending party. I'm fairly certain on the wedge based lamps, the stripe on the diode goes away from the lamp base. Can't remember offhand what it is for the bayonet bases. Also check to see if either side of the diode lugs are touching some other piece of metal. The diode should be contained in a clear, thick rubber tubing. If everything looks ok, it could also be just a cold solder joint that needs to be reflowed. Easy way to test that is to wiggle the diode enough to see if the string of playfield lights turn off while you're moving it. If so, get out your soldering iron and reflow both ends.

#12511 1 year ago

Hey @gavino, having any luck with your clock and light issues yet?

#12513 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

Visually checked all the diodes along that row of the lamp matrix and none seem to be broken or have bad connections. Assuming next step is learning how to use a multimeter?

Definitely. Multimeters are a must for diagnosing problems in DMD-era games, let alone any solid state game. Thankfully it's a nice, short learning curve so it shouldn't be too scary. Half of it is learning what setting you should be on and what kind of results you should be seeing during the test and what those results mean.

Most multimeters have a diode setting for testing diodes, but if yours doesn't, you can test it using the Ohms resistance settings. In both types of settings for a good diode, you'll get numbers when you touch the test leads in one direction, but not necessarily the other. Here's a nice link to a really good tutorial from Fluke: https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes

Don't forget to check the wires going to each of the lamps in that row, too. Should be the Red wire with a green tracer. Then, if all those seem ok, check the main connection at the Power Driver Board(the big one on the bottom right in the backbox). All the connectors coming from the board that go to the playfield and other places there are labeled. The one that supplies power to all the lighting at issue here is J133. You should be able to find the red/green wire in that connector at pin 6, according to the manual. Just visually inspect it to make sure it's attached properly and that it's not shorting out against something else or that nothing else is touching it. Might be a good idea to disconnect it and have a good look at it too to make sure it's not burned up or anything.

If all of that checks out, i.e. all the diodes show as good, there are no shorts at any of the lights, none of the wiring is frayed and shorting out against anything else, there are no lugs of any of the connections touching things they shouldn't, etc., then it's time to test transistor Q86 on the Power Driver Board, which is the one that controls row 5. You can use your multimeter's continuity tester here, too. In fact, here's a great video from the great Chris Hibler to show you a super easy way to test a bunch of transistors in the game all at once:

You don't have to remove the PDB to do these tests, but it is imperative that the game be off, and even better, it be unplugged when doing these tests. In fact, unplug it and let it sit for a few minutes to the capacitors can drain, too.

#12545 1 year ago

People have purchased the Pinsound boards to "restore" most of the original soundtrack that TZ was supposed to have from the factory. Apparently, TZ was going to be the first game with DCS and had true stereo sounds and music already recorded to go with it. But at some point the DCS package wasn't ready for production when TZ was released, so they scrapped it for TZ and used it on IJ. A lot of the original, stereo sound files have been released and people are putting those onto the Pinsound board and restoring what B/W had originally planned for the game. The soundtrack is not 100% complete, but it's still pretty awesome.

#12552 1 year ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

It's kinda cool as it doesn't require you to have an account and you can share videos with everyone.

I looked everywhere on that new site, YouTube, and I can't find the link to upload a video without an account. Did I miss it? Can you share that link with us?

#12577 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Where does this go.

Unless your game is one of the first 10 or 20 prototypes, nowhere. It was only installed on those games, but has survived in the plastic kit printing file ever since. Kinda like the extra graveyard plastics on TAF(which no one has ever really figured out where they were installed).

This plastic for TZ was the old left spiral sign that got axed from production extremely early on as it ended up being a ball trap. You can see its original location here on Spannerhead's TZ:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/251#post-7081489

#12585 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

They just didn't fit right or look right. I suspect the left hole was for over the wireform and the right arch hole over the ramp, except it didn't reach far enough and the idea dropped.
Someone needs to photoshop it and stretch far enough to do both.
LTG : )

What really interesting is, just tonight I was perusing Marco's site for parts and they sell the stainless ramp as a single unit. The interesting part is that they call it the "Window Ramp". First time I think I've ever heard it called that. Makes me think that plastic WAS meant to go over that ramp somehow. If I had that set of extra plastics, I'd be trying them everywhere possible to try and determine where they were actually hoping to use them.

#12594 1 year ago

I feel bad for Ingo with all the current mess around his clock boards and what is hopefully just supply issues. Before things went quiet, he made quite a number of these boards, different revisions of it, and even differently colored board versions of it. At the time, things were plentiful it seemed. Lots of us were able to get his clock board for our games. He had regular green boards, black boards, white boards, and even a special purple board version he sold through @borygard, Rob Anthony of lockwhenlit.com. It might be worth sending Rob a message to see if he has any of them left. Doubtful, but you never know! Rob also sells(or at least at one time her did) extra sets of LEDs specifically for the Ingo boards.

Edit: If anybody has an original TZ clock board set that is completely fried and wants to replace it with an original set that works(last I knew) instead of waiting for an Ingo board, let me know. I've got my old set still and have zero need for it.

1 month later
#12838 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

I bought a shabby TZ and I'm planning to do a complete restoration. During my online searches I found a TZ with white powder coated legs and side rails. It looks really great on this game IMO!
Is this OK to do in terms of resale value, or a big no-no?

First and foremost, like others have said, it's your game, do with it as you please. However, if you do plan to sell it on at some point, know that one man's custom work is another man's burden. This can translate to someone passing on your game because it's powder coated in a way that is not the more popular way(like black for TZ, which is quite common) and now they've not only got to spend the money to get all new hardware, but they've got to do the work of replacing it all, too. Plus, some guys who like all the custom goodies don't do their own work. So, it'll end up costing even more. Before they know it, they're up to an extra $1k on top of the price they paid for the game.

The simple way to do it, also happens to be the cheapest and easiest to undo upon selling: custom vinyl vehicle wrap. You can get this stuff in a myriad of colors and finishes. Finding a high gloss white should be pretty easy, and if you can find it in a 5" or 6" wide tape, should also be pretty cheap. I mention the tape because realistically, you don't need to be all that wide to cover the rails and the lockdown bar and I think 6" wide stuff should be good. If not, there might be wider stuff available. The 3M 1080 Controltac stuff is quite good and burps out air bubbles extremely well. If worse comes to worse and you don't feel good installing it yourself, you can just take the hardware off(since you'd have to anyway to have it powder coated) and take it to a custom vehicle vinyl wrap shop and tell them what you want done. I can't imagine it costing all that much to do since it's so small compared to a car.

That way, when you go to sell it int he future, it'll still be the cool white color you wanted, but is completely removable by the next owner if they don't like it and now you have a broader customer base as your irremovable powder coat would probably turn some folks off to your TZ.

I mention all this because that's what I'm doing to my TZ, but in black. I bought black legs because those are regularly made and easily replaced with the factory chrome ones I still have, but the rails and lockdown bar I'll be doing with a satin finish vinyl.

1 week later
#12868 1 year ago

My TZ and TAF both have an interesting issue. Both keep the time perfectly, but the date is always off. There are times where I don't turn them on for weeks and the date shows up as the day I last had them on, but the time of day is dead on balls accurate. This makes no sense to me. The batteries are fresh and there is no acid damage on either MPU board. They even maintained the time well when unplugged for 8 hours during transit to and from the GSPF show this year.

Thoughts? Answers?

#12901 1 year ago

Page 1-54 of the manual:

1-54 (resized).png1-54 (resized).png
#12912 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Did someone just discover z connectors? I'm confused.

I think he means removing the Z connectors. It typically cures the dual-flipper-button-press reset/5V voltage drop issue for about 95% of TZs.

#12958 1 year ago

This reminds me....When i got my TZ, it was my first pinball machine. It had a switch 71 error. Not knowing anything about pin repair at the time, and that TZ's are one of the most, if not THE most, finicky machines out there, I'm sure you can understand how confused and frustrated I was just starting out in this hobby! How could there be an error for something that doesn't exist!

#12966 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

It's a Mirco playfield.
If the big text above door insert is missing, it's a Mirco product.

That's a pretty glaring omission. Is there a reason why they left this off? A good reason?

#12986 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

Nothing special, just a usual Mirco laziness.
It seems it's a real challenge to compare a scan of original playfield vs the repro print [quoted image][quoted image]

Well, thankfully, TZ playfields are damn near bulletproof. I haven't seen too many that are overly worn, outside of the ball drop areas.

#13016 1 year ago

I recently watched Number 12 Looks Just Like You and I was amazed how much it can apply to life today. With the influence of social media, so many girls out there dress identically and do their hair in the same exact style and color. So, when I saw this episode, I wanted to show it to my nieces to prove what I always say to them about not just copying what everyone else does out there(i.e. all the sluts on Instagram). I want them to be themselves and be unique and stand firm and be confident and secure in who they are and not just be followers like everyone else. We live in sad times when life imitates art from 60 years ago, and especially when it's art from the Twilight Zone.

1 month later
#13167 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I just replaced my red housing with the clear one

Was it the semi-opaque clear like the original, or was it completely glossy like that red one Zee posted? I've been trying to get my hands on a completely transparent/glossy clear housing for a while now. Seems everybody that makes the clear, makes it semi-opaque like the factory original.

#13180 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

I know this is the owner's thread -- and not a tech thread.

There are no threads about TZ that AREN'T tech threads.

TZ is notorious as one of the most difficult machines to own, work on, and keep at 100%. This thread and a number of the owners and experts in it are the main reason my TZ has been so reliable and great playing for so many years.

#13190 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

So are these TZ clock housings unicorns?

Not so much unicorns, per se, but just not being made right now. They seem to be made in batches every few years.

1 week later
#13229 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

How many balls can I add with 9.4 code. What changes are needed in the settings if I do so…thanks

Stuff like that is always in the manual. If you don't have one, you can download it on the IPDB website.

In the menu:
Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.47.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.47.47 PM (resized).png

#13232 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

This is ball per game, looks like. Wow! Up to 10 balls!!!? I’m asking how many can be installed. I think the code 9.4 superseded the manual print… sometimes all my balls are locked in the gumball and I’m stuck with a cycling of two Balls and one is the Powerball….

Oh, oh, oh, I get it now. You mean balls physically put in the game. I know 6 is the standard, but I believe 9.4H has a setting for 7. With that said, if your game is just cycling two balls from the trough, it sounds like you might have one in the ball lock slot to the right of the right ramp. I'm pretty sure there's a setting where it'll kick out any locked balls after a certain amount of time after a game is finished so that there are three balls in the trough, and three in the gumball machine. So check your other adjustments for that first.

If you've got more than three balls in the gumball machine, and your in-menu game settings aren't set for 7 balls already, and it's not kicking out balls from the lock, you've got opto problems. Either one of the ball lock position optos is bad, or one of the optos in the gumball is bad.

#13236 1 year ago

Mine will make it all the way down to the left flipper. I believe that's the way it's supposed to be, and as the orbits are typically the longest distance shots in the game, flipper to flipper should be the goal. Plus, for Pat Lawlor games, this is somewhat the norm. Also, with the ball returning to the lower left flipper, it makes it so you can repeatedly make that orbit shot if your timing is right.

#13249 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

That was my expectation as well. Would you mind taking a pic of the ball guide and post right by the camera? I’m curious to see how your setup looks like

Here's mine. My flipper is adjusted a bit more out towards the piano that yours. It looks like the tip is right in line with where the post is if you were to follow the line from the ball guide. It never hits it, though. When I got my TZ, that flipper was further out and made the ball hit the lower right flipper. I adjusted it to where it is now so it hits the left one as I figured that's what the correct position was. I'm glad I did, too because when my nieces and nephews come over to play, they never use the upper flippers on either of my Lawlor games. I point them out every time, too, as a way of scoring more points or achieving game objectives. If it wasn't adjusted correctly, the ball would drain every time they shot that right orbit and I'd never hear the end of it from them!

IMG_2706 (resized).jpgIMG_2706 (resized).jpgIMG_2705 (resized).jpgIMG_2705 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#13387 1 year ago
Quoted from Devo10:

I used small stainless bolts with a lock washer and nut to reattach.

Quoted from ray-dude:

I did the same. IIRC these screws and bolts came with my switches.
I too swapped out the plastics when I made the change, and added a protector to the right sign (I've replaced that too many times over the years)

Quoted from awesome1:

Yeah, I used some socket button head screws.

I used screws on mine, too, also replacing the right side plastic and adding a protector(as mine was broken when I bought the game). The one thing I did different, though, is I scuffed the tops to the machine screws with some sandpaper and added some solder to the tops of them to make them look like rivet heads. Came out pretty nice, too!

#13400 1 year ago
Quoted from rhampo:

Does anyone know of a windows font that is close to the one used on TWILIGHT ZONE on the cabinet? I am making customized cupholders and want to use a similar font. I'll post pix when I complete the prototype. Thanks in advance!
Richard
[quoted image]

Check out this page. There's not really an exact font used as they made the logo custom back then, but there are a couple that are close. Be sure to read the comments at the bottom, too. Some simple tweaks here and there and it'd look pretty damn close without too much effort.

https://fontsinuse.com/uses/11375/the-twilight-zone-episode-credits-and-title-c

#13421 1 year ago

It's easy enough to remove that wireform and right ramp, I'd take the thing off and take it with you to a hardware store to match up the screw with the hole it goes into. I'm fairly certain it's a sheet metal screw, not a wood screw, and it's best to not strip it out with something that's wrong for it. Taking it with you will allow you to try out as many screws as you want until you find the right size, thread pitch, and length to properly replace he screw.

#13426 1 year ago

Fairly sure it's a sheetmetal screw you should be looking for as I don't remember there being a captured nut in there and the piece that it screws into is just a thick piece of metal. That means that it's not a coarse or a fine bolt as the piece isn't threaded, it's literally just a sheetmetal screw.

#13429 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Fairly sure it's a sheetmetal screw you should be looking for as I don't remember there being a captured nut in there and the piece that it screws into is just a thick piece of metal. That means that it's not a coarse or a fine bolt as the piece isn't threaded, it's literally just a sheetmetal screw.

Quoted from monkfe:

No definitely a machine screw...and pretty sure its an 8-32 x 1/2...you put a sheet metal screw in there...and you will have a stripped out hole for sure..

Thanks for confirming that. I've got parts all over the top of mine from one of my other games so I couldn't get into it and check it to be sure.

Now I'm really curious as to which one I was thinking of...

2 weeks later
#13466 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Did you see the price on those other ones? Like 7 bucks for 25 of them. They were suggested in a different TZ thread as a replacement. 25 that is a life time supply.

Those are the switches that are used with the GLM style mini switch kit. They're a printed circuit board mounted switch so you'd have to have a board with the proper traces made to go with them for them to work.

4 months later
#14148 9 months ago
Quoted from GILV:

I've read not too good stuff about Radcals so I decided to go with this option instaed: https://cointaker.com/products/twilight-zone-cabinet-decals
Anyone ever tried these? Cointaker says “air free ftx system”, what's that?
no need for water? why give your self more trouble than needed?
What's so eaxtraordinary about these decals?
Are they similar to the others?
Thanks.

Most likely, it's similar to the 3M 1080 vinyl that's basically crosshatched on the back and has something akin to micro-valves in it that help the air escape without having to chase them out all the way to edge. Every different company has a different name for the same kind of system. You don't really need water, or soapy water with these kinds of decals, but it can still help getting things lined up just right.

1 month later
#14337 7 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

It is also a very nicely designed game artwork wise. Backglass is one of my favorite

My only gripe about the artwork is that some of the elements from the show are wrong, like the camera. In the episode "A Most Unusual Camera", it's just a box with a lens on the front of it and the picture comes out of the back of it. But on the game its a Rolleiflex camera, a well known model with two lenses that looks nothing like the one from the show. I guess maybe they had issues with licensing or something? I hope it wasn't an oversight. I'd like to know if there's a story behind why it's different. Could be just because people would recognize the Rolleiflex easily, and if they don't know the specific TZ episode, they might think it looks dumb? Who knows....

27fbd6d9a378b0894b3e3910617cbbd3 (resized).jpg27fbd6d9a378b0894b3e3910617cbbd3 (resized).jpg
#14346 7 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

There is also a bunch of elements of the artwork and game that aren’t part of the show. The gum ball machine, the pyramid and I think a few others that don’t ever appear on the show

I know. I just singled out the camera as it's just plain wrong.

From what I had heard, Lawlor had always wanted to put a gumball machine in a pin, so when B/W gave him free license on TZ due to TAF's success, he put it in there.

1 month later
#14494 6 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Not that I'm a fan, at all, of these pirated deals, but since everyone else seems to be fine with it, and it's not made anymore, Xianek does have translites and backglasses for TZ I guess.
[quoted image]

Oof, there's a lot that wrong with this compare to the original artwork....

I get why people are doing pirated reprints, but at least get the artwork correct!

#14496 6 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

The worst was this wasn’t bought as pirated it was advertised as “must be NOS but not 100% sure I won it in a pinball tournament in 2004 and it sat in my closet since. Which has to be blatant bs becuase they weren’t making them back then. Lesson learned to to f around on eBay

My comment was actually about jrcmlc's picture he posted of the translite from the other site. Your's isn't really all that bad, as far as the correct artwork is concerned.

2 weeks later
#14629 5 months ago

I can confirm that the 7.62mm dimension is the outer body dimension for these LEDs that Ingo used originally. I have a couple extra sets as he let me option a set of warm white, cool white, and the color changing when I got my board so many years ago. I don't really use the cool whites, but I do switch back and forth between the warms and the color changing depending on which clock face I want to put in for a while.

1 month later
#14756 4 months ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Looks great!! Now if you could straighten that start button I’ll be able to sleep tonight

Just imagine that it's spinning in that spiral like they do in the intro to the show.

86212.gif86212.gif
3 weeks later
#14825 3 months ago

You really have to watch out for those games that claim to be HUO but you KNOW they were heavily routed 20 years ago. Just because they've been in someone's home for the last decade or so, doesn't mean they don't have a lot of miles on them from ages ago.

1 month later
#14944 72 days ago

Does anybody here have the mini-switch kit with the two switched and have used the second switch to control the star post lights on the mini playfield? I've always wanted to see what it looks like to have those posts flash when the corresponding switches are hit during Battle the Power.

#14969 69 days ago

My TZ was smack dab in the middle of production and had ROM chips that had the word "prototype" on them. It means nothing, really, with respect to the game's status as a prototype or sample. As Coyote has stated, it's all about the playfield features and colors of inserts that determines/confirms all that. Plus, the sample/early run games all had that white clock face, too.

3 weeks later
#15022 48 days ago
Quoted from Siegman:

Hey everyone, new to the hobby and happy to be a member!
Got a nicely restored TZ about a month ago and have loved playing it nearly every day. Having a couple issues though. I don't know if it's just age or not but most of the lower playfield feels weak. Specifically both lower flippers (the upper flippers feel fine) feel weak: the right is never strong enough to shoot the right ramp and the left requires a very good shot (and some luck) to have enough momentum for it. The slot machine kickout and the ball drain kickout often fail to have enough power to do their jobs (the slot machine may make several attempts before dribbling the ball out). Also the light for the Dead End lane light flickers and is weak. The more we play it in a session the weaker everything becomes.
Should I assume these are all individual issues, or should I check something further up powering them all?
Thanks!

Could also simply be that all the coils down there(pops, flippers, slings, etc.) all need new coil sleeves, too. It's quite common that these games get very dirty due to continuous usage and if the previous owner never maintained the pin properly, there's a very good chance that all of your coils everywhere will need, at least, new sleeves, if not full rebuilds.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 132.00
$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=miguel351 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.