IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11455 2 years ago

Finally a club member! I’d really like to future-proof this game as much as I can and make it solid and reliable. I’m not one who likes to mod, so I want to keep it mostly original.

The game currently plays decently, and I already know I need a new slot scoop and target, but is there anything I should specifically put in my next parts order that are good to have on hand?

Also, my clock is broken. It has a new aftermarket clock board luckily, and worked for a little, but the motor sounds like absolute crap, and it sounds like it struggles with moving the hands. Should I just rebuild it with all new gears and motor?

I’m also debating a playfield swap. Current playfield is actually good, except a small insert chip on the GREED door panel, and a screw someone screwed in too deep by the flippers. How are the offerings from Mirco?

Thanks so much!

#11459 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

If this is your first WPC game of this vintage you should be prepared to change the GI connectors as they often overheated and got roasted.

I’m no stranger to WPC games. I’ve owned a bunch and I’m very familiar with all their idiosyncrasies. The power driver board was actually previously sent out to coin op cauldron for a complete overhaul, so that’s a least concern right now.

Good to know about the rocket bounce outs! My game has a real issue with that too. I’ll definitely look into that adjustment. Also, I have a flasher lamp board from Davi on the way as well (it’s the one mod I can get behind). Thanks for your insight!

#11471 2 years ago

Slowly building up a parts order for my game. What’s the deal with the plastic ramp? Seems like all (most?) came with smoked grey plastic ramps, but most or all of the replacements are clear. Is one a prototype/sample difference? What’s the consensus here: original smoke or replace with a clear ramp?

1 week later
#11518 2 years ago

Just putting my feelers out there: gonna swap my playfield. Are there any “plug and play” 3rd magnet installation kits available anywhere?

3 weeks later
#11565 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with parts cleaning devices. I am considering getting one but am unsure which style, rotary or vibratory is best. Would welcome and appreciate some opinions.
Thanks

Vibratory. Cleans and polishes better, generally holds more stuff and irregularly shaped objects.

#11574 2 years ago

Question regarding ball search and missing ball compensation:

Current ROMs are 9.4h

Scenario:

Ball gets stuck someplace (currently it likes to get stuck under the powerfield occasionally). I’ll power cycle the game, so only 2 balls are in the trough. I turn the game on, press start, and instead of the game recognizing there’s only 2 balls and doing the usually ball search cycle before allowing a game to start, it starts immediately, but will ball search indefinitely. The game will refuse to compensate for the lack of a 3rd ball.

Is this how 9.4h operates? A bug? No other switch problems in the game otherwise. Plays completely fine.

#11580 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

How many balls do you have in the machine?
You should have 6 total balls in the game including the balls in the gumball machine.

I’m actually running 7. 6 steel, 1 ceramic, and have the “4 balls in gumball machine” setting turned on.

Quoted from Scotty_K:

I had this exact same problem, and that solved it immediately.

Thanks! Will look into that. I’ll be swapping the playfield on this soon, so it’s not a huge priority to fix. I just want to make sure the game is electronically sound before I dig into things

#11622 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Just a question: besides Ingo, there is no alternative clock board of good quality, am i right ?

The Casper clock board seems like another good option.

----

Does anyone know if the Power Field Switch Kit is still available anywhere?

4 weeks later
#11740 2 years ago

My game is having an opto related issue.

Column 8 is out, but “lower lock” (a non opto switch 88) functions, so I am pretty sure this isn’t a CPU or problem with the connector there, but instead isolated to the opto board? I’m very inexperienced with this sort of diagnosis, so any further guidance would be appreciated.

#11790 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

No
Should that matter ?
Or with only 2 that feature doesn’t work

Multiball magnet grab only works if you have the 3rd magnet installed in the game. Here’s what it looks like:

#11791 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

My game is having an opto related issue.
Column 8 is out, but “lower lock” (a non opto switch 88) functions, so I am pretty sure this isn’t a CPU or problem with the connector there, but instead isolated to the opto board? I’m very inexperienced with this sort of diagnosis, so any further guidance would be appreciated.

Following up on my repair:

Turned out to be J4-1 on the opto board. Wire came loose. Punched it back in, and all is right again.

However the “middle lock” opto still isn’t working, so I’ll have to dig a little deeper. Hoping it’s just another loose wire.

#11792 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

However the “middle lock” opto still isn’t working, so I’ll have to dig a little deeper. Hoping it’s just another loose wire.

Update: loose connector under the playfield.

Check those connectors, people!

All fixed.

#11796 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

He had a loose wire on pin 1 of the connector to J4 on the opto board

Correct. J4, Pin 1 carries the 12v to the optos in column 8, causing all the optos to fail.

Easy to diagnose because the lower lock switch is NOT an opto, but still on column 8, and yet worked properly. Reasoning was that it was an opto board related issue and not a CPU one. Traced the (lack of) voltages back to that wire.

#11800 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Very cool mulitball start...I've never seen that before...now I wish I had the 3rd magnet....

The third magnet also changed the way the balls are grabbed during “the spiral” mode as well:

A mod definitely worth doing if you’re ever in the position to do a playfield swap.

#11803 2 years ago

Does anyone offer the 3rd Magnet Kit anymore

I see Pinbits is sold out

Any links or leads would be cool
My field is brand new but my old TZ I did this for and was super impressed

No more kits, but you don't need one. dmacy and myself installed a 3rd magnet/opto in my game during his swap just a month or so ago. If you're already familiar with the process having installed it on your previous game, the hardest part in the whole process is drilling into the stainless ball guides, and making sure the areas you've drilled into are perfectly lined up for the opto beam.

Some takeaways from my kit-less installation:

Optos must be "shimmed" up about 3mm from the playfield in order for the ball to break the opto beam at the ball's widest diameter, and to ensure proper timing of the magnet's ability to catch the ball. I found that a paint stirrer from the hardware store is about 3mm thick, but any material can be used. I used digital calipers to take all measurements before drilling the holes in the guides. No template or anything was required. "Measure twice, cut once." It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to be damn close.

My process: With the guides installed, stick a ruler across the top directly over the center of the magnet core. Mark in sharpie along the top on each side. Then, with calipers, measure the distance from the base of the opto to the center of the beam PLUS the added 3mm of shim. Mark that on each side of the guide under each mark you made from the ruler. That got me perfectly centered and ready for the drill. There's a few guides that show the use of painters tape to help with alignment. I didn't think that was necessary, and didn't use it.

Regarding the drilling, a drill press is absolutely necessary, as are a ton of sharp bits, oil to cool the bits, and a LOT of patience. Go low and slow, and let the bit do all the work. Start with a small diameter drill bit, and work your way up to 17/64 size. This was by far the most time consuming portion of the installation.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/imagine-if-you-will-a-twilight-zone-playfield-swap/page/2#post-6717814

Solder the wires onto the optos, and run them through the playfield, screw down the guides, then screw down the optos just behind the holes. Everything should line up.

I cheated with the wiring of the optos into the 10-opto board. Pinsider "Dumbass" has a "plug and play" board that installs over the connector. All you'd need to do is wire in a connector for the extra opto pair, and crimp in a connector. No hacking of the original board is required. The process is highlighted here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/imagine-if-you-will-a-twilight-zone-playfield-swap/page/3#post-6743681

Lastly, add the associated driver board hardware, install the magnet, and punch the wiring into the existing connector.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/imagine-if-you-will-a-twilight-zone-playfield-swap/page/2#post-6734791

And that's really all there is to it. It's not a technically demanding job, but it's not at all easy. With Dumbass's board, all the challenge goes into measuring and drilling the rails for the optos.

#11805 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

which ROM version is required to use the extra magnet? I'm using 9.4H

That is the correct ROM that'll utilize the magnet. The game's software automatically detects the presence of the extra magnet and opto, and will adjust the rules accordingly.

#11808 2 years ago

Thank you for this info

I’ll take a look and build a parts list

Reach out if you have any questions! I'd be glad to help anyway that I can.

#11810 2 years ago

I put together a 3rd Magnet parts list for anyone who wants to attempt it:

Hardware for the magnet you'll need:

Williams/Bally Magnet Coil: 20-9247
3/4" Magnet Core Hex Nut
Magnet Core Plug: 02-4773
Bracket and Nut Assembly: A-16460
It's a good idea to add in a 2-position connector between the magnet and the connector to the high power driver board, but it's not necessary.

For the optos:

Williams/Bally Infared LED Opto Assembly - Receiver: A-16909
Williams/Bally Infared LED Opto Assembly - Transmitter: A-16908

For the high power driver board:

Heat sink TO-220
Diode - 400 Volts 1 Amp XO-254 (1N4004)
Resistor - 220 ohm 1/2 watt
TIP36C
Heat sink compound

**All the driver board components are soldered into the Q3, D3, and R3 positions.
**Wires for the magnet get punched into "+50v" and "SOL2" positions on the connector J4 of the high power driver board.

If using DumbAss's opto passthrough board:

- The transmitter board (green) has an infrared transmitter with leads labeled A and K. A=Anode. K=Cathode. A is a GRY-XXX wire. K is a BLK wire.
- The receiver board (blue) has a phototransistor with leads labeled C and E. C=Collector. E=Emitter. C is a GRY-YEL wire. E is an ORG-XXX wire.

The pass-through board has a 5-pin header. 4 pins for signals and 1 key pin. The pins are labeled.

- Pin #1 is A.
- Pin #2 is K.
- Pin #3 is <key>.
- Pin #4 is C.
- Pin #5 is E.

Just make sure the wire you solder to the transmitter/receiver boards terminates / connects to the correspondingly labeled pin of the header. You will need 0.156" pins and a 5 position 0.156" housing.

Refer to post #11803 for installation details.

#11825 2 years ago
Quoted from jid:

Mirrored backglass: worth the 300 shipped?

I think so, but my original translite was trash, so it was an easy decision to replace mine.

I really like the mirrored bits. So far I’ve been happy with all of CPR backglasses.

#11827 2 years ago

Hope these help!

Video:

Backlit:
5D6A6C78-E9D0-4821-B19F-05BDEC1C9C47.jpeg5D6A6C78-E9D0-4821-B19F-05BDEC1C9C47.jpeg
Backlit:
D5513876-36C4-448B-A69E-1E12162A2EE1.jpegD5513876-36C4-448B-A69E-1E12162A2EE1.jpeg
Game off:
EC89410E-4E48-41E5-87F4-DF0B28FF71F1.jpegEC89410E-4E48-41E5-87F4-DF0B28FF71F1.jpeg

1 week later
#11918 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

CPR does it also plus someone else I think. I was leaning towards the CPR one.

If you want a nice original, I may have one I can part with.

1 week later
#11940 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So where can a guy go to learn how to adjust the plunger to hit the center of the ball?

Lift the playfield, and right on the inside of the cabinet you'll see 3 screws that hold a metal plate down right where the plunger is attached. Loosen the screws and then you can move the whole assembly to your liking before tightening everything back up.

#11956 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Question regarding ball search and missing ball compensation:
Current ROMs are 9.4h

Scenario:
Ball gets stuck someplace. I’ll power cycle the game, so only 2 balls are in the trough. I turn the game on, press start, and instead of the game recognizing there’s only 2 balls and doing the usually ball search cycle before allowing a game to start, it starts immediately, but will ball search indefinitely. The game will refuse to compensate for the lack of a 3rd ball.
Is this how 9.4h operates? A bug? No other switch problems in the game otherwise. Plays completely fine.

Following up with this:

Even after a full restore, I can even start a game with 0 balls in the trough. I can start a game, but then goes into a ball search when it realizes a ball hasn't been delivered to the shooter lane. It seems like there's absolutely no missing ball compensation, which really surprises me. Can anyone verify that this is proper game operation?

#11966 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Have you verified in switch test that all of the trough switches are working correctly?

Yes. The game plays flawlessly otherwise. No credit dot, no switch errors.

1 week later
#11993 2 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

One day I will dig back into it again.

If your sample has the 2 opto boards, instead of the single 10-opto board, wiring in the additional opto for the magnet should be as easy as running new wires and punching them into the existing connectors.

#12005 2 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

Does anyone who has used the old pinbits 3rd magnet kit still have the drilling template and would be willing to part with it? I would feel more comfortable drilling my playfield if I was using a template.

Did you read my guide? A template really isn’t necessary. Just measure an approximate location with the lanes installed with a ruler. Measure twice, cut once.

Remember, this is pinball, not rocket science, so you don’t have to sweat millimeters.

#12032 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Would anyone know what this goes to?

I have the same wire. It's not plugged in to anything either. Is yours an early production game with the green lock light? I'm thinking it's just a "leftover" wire that doesn't have a purpose.

#12053 2 years ago

I also have a casper board and have had no issues with it.

It'd be nice if the LEDs were replaceable to match the game (to me, they're too harsh white), but it's a good consistent backlight with no hotspots.

#12055 2 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

By harsh do you mean that they are like a "cool white"?

Yea, they're a cool white. They're not blue by any means, just a very white light. I'm a purist and keep my games all running incandescent bulbs, so it stands out more in my game. I'm sure if you're planning on putting in LEDs everywhere else, it'll likely match the rest of the game's aesthetic just fine.

3 weeks later
#12144 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

is there more than 1 board that needs to be purchased. Does the GI board alone cover flickering of the inserts?

You’ll need 2:

LEDOCD for all the insert lighting, and the GIOCD for the general illumination smoothing to allow for flicker free dimming effects.

3 weeks later
#12221 1 year ago
Quoted from Babysha:

but voltage come always at start

Coils always have power at all times in WPC games. The transistors on the driverboard simply ground the voltage, completing the circuit and activating the solenoid.

Assuming this is an electrical problem, and not a mechanical one where it’s simply binding, Start by checking the associated transistor on the driver board. If good, check the associated pre-driver.

2 weeks later
#12260 1 year ago

I get errant #26 errors just enough to annoy me. It’s always the little 2 pin connector that shakes itself loose. Has anyone ever just soldered the wires directly to the board, or is that considered a hack?

#12280 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-ray:

Need some help with my recently aquired TZ. When balls get locked behind the clock they dont kick out at the end of the game. They only get kicked out if I turn the game off and turn it back on again. Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this. Thanks.

This is how the game operates as designed. There’s nothing to fix.

Addams Family does the same thing with balls locked in the swamp, and BSD does the same thing with balls locked in the castle. Not sure why designers chose to keep balls locked game-to-game, but they did.

#12287 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Any of you upgrade to this speaker set: https://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-wpc-89-speaker-kit/
Is it worth the $200? Is it really a noticeable difference in sound quality? I wish there was an easy way to make this game stereo quality.

You’ll probably get a ton of opinions, but mine is that it’s not worth it. My TZ has all new upgraded speakers, and the quality isn’t $200 better sounding than the white water with stock speakers sitting right next to it.

1 month later
#12399 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Ahhh… please explain. So the clock is supposed to be correct time?

With batteries in the game, the CPU has a “real time clock” that can keep track of the time and date even when powered down.

TZ has a fun feature that uses the real time clock during attract mode to show the correct time when idling.

When you switch over to NVRAM, the real time clock doesn’t run, so the time won’t be correct when the playfield clock sets itself during attract mode.

3 weeks later
#12480 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Take a picture of the Machines 5th flipper. 3X zoom. To verify you’re not a robot!

What?

Spannerhead, post a few pictures of the game here first. Lots of good knowledge that can get you started. What’s the serial number on the game?

3 weeks later
#12650 1 year ago

I've been a fan of Marco Specialties rubber rings and kits for a long time, but I have white Titan rings installed in my TZ, and I think they're significantly better. I'd go with them. Kits in all sorts of fun color combinations are available on their website.

As my games need refreshing and new rubber rings in the future, I'll be converting them all over to Titans.

1 week later
#12711 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I chose a restored TZ over a Godzilla premium nib. Nothing against Goddy, but I’ll have more chances at another nib for the next year or two.

Grab up the classics while you still can!

3 weeks later
#12821 1 year ago
Quoted from Redfive05:

10) Added the player-selected tournament module."

I'm not sure what that is or how to turn it on, but maybe that's turned on somehow?

I'm pretty sure that feature is activated by holding in both flippers for several seconds before starting a game, so I doubt that's your issue.

#12847 1 year ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Is the third magnet mod worth doing?

1000% worth it. If you’re already swapping a playfield, the hardest part is drilling into the stainless ball guides. I have a few guides that are key posts if you want to see the process.

It might be subtle, but the whole “show” of the game loading up all 3 magnets with a ball before dumping them all out simultaneously just adds to the build up of multiball start.

Also, catching a ball with each magnet during the spiral mode is a nice touch.

#12872 1 year ago

The door panel flashers are super cool, but I can see why they removed them from the Lock 1 & 2 panels early on. When they flash, especially during powerball, or when the ball is in the pops, kinda throws me off sometimes with how many locked balls I have. Draws attention to the wrong thing.

But the flashers under GUM and BALL are super rad no matter what. Personally, I’d have bought a board that just restores the incandescent flashers there, but alas.

#12874 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

If you are not happy with the board, I am willing to buy it back, no problem.

I am incredibly happy with the board! I absolutely love it, and I think it’s a must-have mod. I absolutely value your work and dedication to the hobby.

That said, if you do ever decide to make an incandescent version of the board, I will 100% buy it. I keep all of my games incandescent since I prefer the look.

1 week later
#12942 1 year ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

I assume I should set this to “NO” as I don’t have the 3rd magnet installed?

If you don’t have the 3rd magnet installed, this setting can either be on or off. It doesn’t matter. The programming automatically senses if you have the magnet and opto wired in and only then will it matter what that setting is.

Otherwise, it’s completely ignored by the software.

3 weeks later
#13073 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Anyone recently bought the Mirco radacals for this one? Good or bad experiences? Thank you.

I used radcals on my cab within the year. I'm happy with them. No issues that I can tell. Colors and fitment are accurate. It's a good product.

#13082 1 year ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

So is it a good idea to countersink all your bolt heads and cover them with the decals?

No. It inhibits serviceability down the road.

Pull out the bolts, apply the decal, and then drill small pilot holes in the decals, reinstall all bolts.

Sure, it won’t be as clean looking, but you won’t be permanently covering anything in case you need access or to replace something in the next 20 years.

1 week later
#13114 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Results are always better if you remove the old decals first and fix any cabinet issues. Light colors on the Radcals are slightly translucent and you can see what is underneath in many cases. At $400 a pop I would not just cover the old art.

This is the correct answer, however, I can be lazy, and I almost always just slap the radcals over the existing art after a good deep clean.

#13117 1 year ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

Any examples of your work?

Here’s my attack from mars (left the protective layer on):

6BB6BDC7-AB42-4D0F-B866-7A61B5B4C57F.jpeg6BB6BDC7-AB42-4D0F-B866-7A61B5B4C57F.jpeg
2F3906A3-6FE9-4236-9D24-95D7E5744A18.jpeg2F3906A3-6FE9-4236-9D24-95D7E5744A18.jpeg

My TZ:

57944922-CA69-4859-9E2A-AB4AC8FF3089.jpeg57944922-CA69-4859-9E2A-AB4AC8FF3089.jpeg

In both scenarios, the only prep work I did was deep clean the cabinet so the adhesive would stick properly.

1 week later
#13174 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

What is the easiest and safest way to create holes in radcals (for bolts) without ruining the radcals? Exacto knife? Drill?

100% a drill.

For smaller bolts, just a sharp wood bit works.

For the larger holes, like flipper buttons, start button, and the plunger hole, start it with a drill bit, then take a drum sander attachment on the end of a Dremel and gently sand the hole diameter wider until you hit wood. Kinda like a router.

Utility knives and Xacto knives are such a pain in the ass, not sharp enough, and you’ll never get a perfect shape.

3 weeks later
#13282 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone else feel like the left side of this game isn’t really used too much?

I closed up my left outlane as much as the adjustment allows, and I shot to the pops—along with skill shots—is far less risky. It’s kinda fun building the town square bonus and nailing dead ends. On a good game, dead ends can be worth more than multiball jackpots, plus it builds towards an extra ball.

1 week later
#13341 1 year ago

I have the mirrored TZ cpr backglass. It’s great. The mirrored effect is subtle, but noticeable, and the stars beside the logo at the top are clear cutouts, so they have a nice little twinkle effect.

IMO, it’s a fantastic upgrade to the translite.

1 week later
#13391 1 year ago
Quoted from jid:

So is it a must-have?

Nothing is a “must have” but imo, the CPR glass is a worthy upgrade. I’m a huge huge huge purist too when it comes to pinball. It takes a lot to impress me, and I’ve been consistently impressed with the CPR glasses. So much so, that I replaced the translite in my white water with one as well. It’s a great “finishing touch” after a restoration.

2 months later
#13566 1 year ago

I like exposed bolts. It’s just a more authentic look.

1 week later
#13697 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Good luck.
I've had mixed results with gulf products and afaik they don't have schematics available.

I've also had mixed results with gulf products, but I will say, they've taken care of me each time I've had an issue. As far as I can tell, it's a one man operation, and he does a good job with customer support/warranty/returns.

3 weeks later
#13777 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Adding a ball with 9.4 code. Good idea or no.

Pro: 7 ball wizard mode.

Con: takes more shots to the gumball machine to start powerball mania.

Opinion: I run 7 balls because loading the gumball machine isn’t hard, but also getting the powerball out of the gumball machine feels like more of a “treat.”

There’s really no wrong answer here.

#13791 1 year ago
Quoted from Hop721:

Flippers work fine, btw but im worried about frying a coil if I trap up or something.

Like LTG said, the whole purpose of the fliptronics board is to prevent this. EOS switches are more or less redundant in this case. You can play the game just fine and trap balls all day long.

1 month later
#14016 11 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Are the 3rd magnet kits still a thing of the past and all DIY now?

No kits, but DIY is very possible. Check my keyed posts for details and guide of my recent install.

2 months later
#14232 8 months ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

That connector is not used. It’s was either for testing or expansion but was never used. It just dangles there.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone followed it schematically? It'd be interesting to know where it connects to.

2 months later
#14624 6 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

This is what the cool white 9000K bulb looks like.

I think a great “LED niche” to fill would be a 2700k or even a 2200k LED to better match incandescents. Even “warm white” bulbs at 3000k are often too cool.

Better yet, is the CRI (color rendering index) ever published on these small LED bulbs? I’d love to see 90+ become the standard. Anything less, and color washes out, regardless of color temp.

1 month later
#14775 4 months ago

Does TZ really not have any missing ball compensation? If a ball gets stuck somewhere, it’ll just endlessly ball search. If I turn the game off, and back on (without freeing the stuck ball), it’ll start a game, but it won’t eject a ball. It’ll just sit there endlessly.

BSD will compensate. Hell, Even my System 11 games will adjust the rules to work with fewer balls—down to 1 if you press start enough times after the “missing pinball” warning. (TZ doesn’t even warn the player!)

Am I missing something? Running 9.4H

1 week later
#14785 4 months ago
Quoted from GILV:

What do you think would be a good method to make the video easilly understandable...... ?

Edit in some text boxes over the video periodically that explain the process.

3 weeks later
#14863 3 months ago

Also, check the continuity/connectors at the fliptronics board. I had a flipper issue on my TZ. It was weak and intermittent, and I tracked it down to a bad crimp at the IDC connector on the board.

1 week later
#14876 3 months ago
Quoted from atg1469:

So I finally bit the bullet and purchased the mini playfield switch replacement kit from Pinball Life and of course it didn't come with any installation instructions. This does not seem to be as turn key as I might have thought, so has anyone else purchased this kit successfully installed it? If so, can you point me to any directions or videos you used to get through the process? Many thanks in advance for the help!
Here's a link to the kit I purchased in case it helps: https://www.pinballlife.com/twilight-zone-the-power-mini-playfield-switch-replacement-kit.html

I ran into the same problem when I bought the kit from pinball life as well. Here’s a good write up. Click the photo for the pdf install instructions:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-tech-glm-mini-switch-kit-installwrite-upimpressions#post-6684431

#14898 89 days ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I can tell you that I did this entire project. The wiring is VERY tight and be a real pita. I got mine working, and looked great for about six months. Then one post went out and I just ended up taking it back out.

I had the exact same problem with mine. Super tight wiring and it just wasn’t as reliable as I wanted it to be in a game that gets played constantly. One of the surface mounted diodes broke after some playtesting because everything is so tight.

I ended up pulling out the left and right switch brackets and just using the front ones. To me, it’s the best of both worlds: unobstructed view of the powerfield, but reliable.

IMG_5890 (resized).jpegIMG_5890 (resized).jpeg

#14912 87 days ago
Quoted from atg1469:

What exactly happened? I don't understand why the wiring would be an issue once it's installed, all the wires are protected behind the metal brackets, so curious to hear what exactly the issue was.

I wish I knew. I’m betting it was human error (me). It was a real challenge to install, and it worked for a hot second before I started getting all sorts of switch issues. I pulled it all apart again and noticed a cracked diode.

#14921 82 days ago

I’m having an issue with the clock:

In test, the clock operates perfectly. All optos register fine.

In game, when a timed mode starts, the clock will set itself to count down. About 5 seconds in, regardless of the mode, the clock “cancels” the time and quickly resets itself back to 12 o’clock position. Almost as if it’s being overridden.

Thoughts?

#14923 82 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Does it do it also in Clock Chaos mode? (Where it starts at 6:00)

It also happens in clock chaos. Doesn’t matter the mode. After a few seconds, the clock will reset itself back to noon.

Good insight on it being a “soft failure.” I’ve had issues with the connector that goes to the clock (idc issues). I’ll see if vibrations are having an impact.

#14926 82 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

That test with the time in attract mode is a good test too.

The clock works fine (shows the proper time) in attract mode as well. No issues there.

I have an aftermarket board. Casper, I believe. I bought the game with it installed and it never had any issues until now.

#14931 81 days ago

Ah, really excellent thoughts.

Another puzzle piece: running the clock test “clock fwd fast” while “chimp flipping” and banging around on the game caused the clock motor to just stop. It happened too fast for me to see if it was an opto issue or something mechanical.

I can do this reliably. Literally stopping the clock just by flipping the flippers. Doesn’t matter what time it is. It stays stopped and won’t run the clock again until I manually select it.

Here’s a quick video. It stops at 9 in this example, but it’ll stop at any time.

#14934 81 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Have you checked your opto driver board for a leaky cap as have plagued others lately in the thread?

Visually, the cap looks fine. Any way to test it electrically?

Quoted from slochar:

Any mods on the game that put an extra load on the +12 supply?

Zero mods on this game, EXCEPT, for the 3rd magnet. I have victor’s daughterboard connected to it to provide power/signal for the additional opto.

IMG_7964 (resized).jpegIMG_7964 (resized).jpeg

#14936 81 days ago

I’ll order a new cap and replace it and report back. Regardless of its visual condition, it’s definitely primed for failure at some point.

#14942 78 days ago
Quoted from cee_bee_are:

Is this the diode on the mini switch kit?

Yes, the small surface mounted diode on the board the switches are also soldered to.

3 weeks later
#15013 55 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Curious as to what people would change on tz .... ignore that the new platform isn't available just post what games changes you'd like to see.

The only thing I would change is the scoring for the 5 million greed targets. The inserts say "5 million" but they actually score 10 million. That always bothered me.

Other than that, nothing. I think the game is pretty perfect as is.

#15026 52 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, Ted knows about this, and commented that he voted NOT to change it, as it would adjust score balance.

Of course, I'd defer to Ted's expertise in the matter, but I think the 10 mil per target gives them a little too much weight in score, especially when a door panel for "big" points is 10 million. Just seems silly to me.

Still, not a big deal, since a difference in 5 million points is hardly noticeable or game breaking in any way. It's just been my OCD that bothers me about the discrepancy.

2 weeks later
#15049 37 days ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Coyote told the lock-cage is supposed to be tilted with some tiny standoff's on the backside towards the backboard.
Did this and no more rejects, ever ...

I suspect I’m missing these standoffs. Do you (or anyone else) have a picture of them installed? I’m having a hard time visualizing the proper assembly.

1 week later
#15074 28 days ago
Quoted from sandro:

And in Funhouse? I'm guessing these are still available??

And whirlwind, with stickers to show little toll booths.

1 week later
#15165 19 days ago
Quoted from cconway84:

Looking for these two upper pf plastics if anyone has a spare set.

I’m out of town until mid next week, but I’m almost certain I have a pair of these I can send you. I’ll check when I’m home if you haven’t found anything by then.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 22.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.50
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.