IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6128 5 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

The CH was in the machine when I got it.
Anyone have a binary download for the H code handy? Binary or hex, either way I can burn it.
Thanks!

no reason to remove CH for H. its the same except for the coins being added back.

1 month later
#6282 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Tried that first. The viewing angle was wrong. Couldn't see the face while playing. My next choice was next to Robbie in the middle back. That was ok but the two toys were kind of close to each other.

how about way in the back, inside the cabinet, out of sight.

#6285 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I love that reproduction. Great Topper. I've seen them, but they are not cheap. I went with a mini-me version. I only have two other mod toys on my game, but I couldn't resist The Mystic Seer. Bought a bobble-head [I think the RED ones are hard to get now???], added lights, and mounted on a Cliffy Robby bracket. Went with a big, lighted [inside and out] TZ Alien with a plasma disc behind it for a topper. Both hooked up to controlled lights. I also did a replacement back board with twinkling stars - subtle, but I like the effect. Familiarity breeds contempt, spare time breeds TZ mods...
[quoted image][quoted image]

only two mods other than the head? plasma disk and alien on top (ok we'll call that one), twinkling backboard, thats 2. What about the clock target mod thats in the pic, or the color (changer most likey) behind the door in the backbox, and the TV thats partially in the picture? admit it, your game is covered with tacky TZ mods like they all are.

1 week later
#6317 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Depends.
The BEST strategy? Muhaha..
On your ball, be sure to get GREED, Clock Millions (+ Clock Ten Millions, if you're *good*), TSQ Madness, and go ahead and get a Powerball Multiball going as well.
Okay, got that done? Start LITZ!
In LITZ, if you're good with the Powerfield, keep a ball up there - make sure it hits the upper opto often. All the other balls, shoot into the Dead End or Camera. 50m Jackpots for them all.
At the end of LITZ, your score will be the modes I mentioned above, added to the score you got in those modes DURING LITZ. Including the Powerball Multiball total.
Get really good, and you can have a LITZ score over a quarter of a billion. If not more.

the default score is 0.3 billion, your excellent strategy will get you 0.25 billion. wow, almost the default.

#6322 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

True. I also did mistype. I meant to say three-quarters billion.

well that makes a lot more sense.

#6336 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

In short, my playfield wasn't cured right back when it was made by TAG. So it was (is) softer than usual. My game was played a LOT on location before I got it, which started some PF deterioration.
Marco *JUST* released his repros when I decided to get mine redone. My PF is an early sample, and the repro 3-Magnet version does not have some of the art differences that mine had. So, I spent about $500 more than the repro, but I wanted to keep the art differences and history.
The biggest issue I had reassembling was the new thickness on the playfield - that millimeters that was added made some things (like the skill shot ball gate) not work too well, strangely.

millimeters added in clear?? thats so wrong.

#6378 5 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

I want to upgrade/replace my speakers - they sound like they're under water and I believe they're original equipment.
Looking for suggestions based on your experience. What do you recommend?

TZ sound sucks, unless you want to go pinsound to make the input side of the sound better, its still going to be bad on any speakers. It'll be "better" bad, but still not good. typical GIGO sound.

#6386 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pinsound is a revelation on this machine. There are a bunch of great mixes and enhanced versions out there. You do need at LEAST a better cabinet woofer to get the best out of it.

Like I said unless you want to change the input sound via pinsound you have garbage sound regardless of the speakers.

1 week later
#6425 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Having my to restored...best mods to add?

The best mods are no mods. Don't stick tacky crap in the game (but you will anyway). That being said put in things that will not become ball traps, gumballs, slot machine maybe, camera.

#6430 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

You can really go crazy with mods on TZ....IMHO I would stick with the ones that either improve game play or help identify shots. My list would include the following: color dmd, complete Cliffy protector set, comet LED's with spot lights (the game is really dark), Piano mod, camera mod, slot machine, gum balls , and diverter magnet...there are several other mods and decals that look really nice, but it really comes down to personal preference.

this is a good list, none of these create ball traps. The spotlights aren't needed, but otherwise its solid.

2 weeks later
#6468 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Anyone know what sort of post fits properly into this hole, to fix the problem of balls falling out of the rocket ship after the skill shot?
A search turned up a previous fix - http://www.retroblast.com/articles/modzone_3.html#Bounce - but this webpage doesn't work anymore. I believe the suggestion is to remove one of the screws that secure the ball guide and instead install a post with a rubber on. I bought a Mini Post 1-7/16 but it didn't fit properly, so I'm a bit stuck.
[quoted image]
Anyone done this fix and can share a photo of what they did?

standard post like at the top of inlane/outlane dividers works. no rubber on it though

#6473 5 years ago

yeah, the pinball life one. same top as what you posted but a wood screw bottom. Drop in replacement, removable if you so choose.

#6489 5 years ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

OK here's some pics:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
This really helps a lot! I used to have the skill shot constantly bouncing out of the rocket. Once I replaced that screw with the post and a rubber ring, problem solved! It slows the ball down just enough to gently land right where it's supposed to.
I hope this helps.

the rubber is fine but not needed in that location the impact is slow. plus some rings are a bit thicker and can actually cause a ball trap.

#6494 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm sure this topic has been covered several times, but is it really possible to upgrade the sound quality on TZ? I bought a semi restored TZ that has upgraded speakers/Sub, but the sound quality still isn't very good.....

garbage in, garbage out. unless you go to pinsound, which has its own issues, it will sound bad.

#6500 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

What issues with pinsound card?
Was thinking of adding it to my TZ

issues are not with pinsound itself, the hardware is excellent. Issues are you have to make or acquire the sound yourself. This is hit or miss, there is one that is the same as original but with better clarity. there are also ones with custom sound that, in my mind are the equivalent of colored GI. Just because you can does not mean you should. I'm sure the authours of the alternates think they did a great thing though.

#6501 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks for the feedback....I appreciate it....that being said I'm not sure how much work I'm willing to do The good news is mine already has upgraded speakers and sub, but in my opinion the sound still sucks.....sounds like the only real option is a pin sound board....

you can always accept that its an early 90's game and enjoy it for what it is.

1 month later
#6628 5 years ago
Quoted from DW3000:

Is there anything to look for on the skill-shot scoop that might make a person want to replace it? Say, if my welds are undamaged, there’s no reason to upgrade it, is there?
Reason being, I’m going to do an order from Mantis and figured if this is something to look into I might as well add it and only pay shipping once.
I can’t see that this scoop would take much damage generally, so figured I’d check if this is something preventative to get, or only needed if the original is trashed.

skill shot? that one does not break, slot machine is problematic. Mantis has a replacement for that one. is that what your talking about? Swap it if its broken. If its not, no reason to swap it. In home use you probably won't play enough to break it.

#6631 5 years ago
Quoted from DW3000:

I honestly can’t see how a person *could* break that scoop.

no idea, its not even a strong spring on the shooter rod in that game. I'm guessing he has it for the many who are will to buy anything even if its not needed.

#6651 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think in this case, Mantis just produced a whole bunch of TZ-related metal items, and decided to improve this scoop since he had already done the slot machine one. I've bought a ton of stuff from Mantis, everything I've received has been AWESOME.

agreed, this stuff is excellent. but buying something that's not needed is silly when those funds can be put toward things that are needed, or another machine. I'm sure someone, broke one, once, buts its a very uncommon issue.

#6652 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Pzy it appears correct.
Could it be someone installed wrong spring?
[quoted image]

well with the pointless plastic protector on the game the ball is now being hit lower than it should be. That could be enough to give the ball extra lift and cause your issue.

#6659 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Someone replaced PF and it’s not protected

replaced it with what? any repro is cleared too.

1 month later
#6787 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No need, you are good to go. Ingo’s board basically generates no heat

yes it does, its just much less heat. no need for venting.

4 weeks later
#6864 5 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Yes, that's the one. Ok, will try replace lamp ASAP and if that isn't working I guess I got bad cables or solder points.
By the way, most mods seem to come with alligator clips for easy mount/unmount. I'm not really comfortable with those clips, it feels like they could fall off from vibrations over time and being of metal cause a short somewhere else. Currently I have two mods that I mounted but not connected electrically, because of this issue. I'm thinking of adding a pair of connectors on the cables (for easy removal when cleaning and such) and solder the ends as a more "permanent" solution.
I'm just curious, what do most people do? Use the clips? Am I making a problem of something that never occur?

Stop adding shit, play the game.

2 months later
#7135 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

having issues with (I think) game adjustments:
I use the latest 9.4CH rom and do not manage to ever get an extra ball awarded:
* "lite extra ball" door panel is always lit right from the beginning
* Robot shots just award the camera
the game is NOT set to tournament mode
gone through all the settings-any ideas which of the settings could cause that behaviour?
thx!

EB works fine on CH. is there a particular EB that you are not getting or in general?

#7138 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

hm...seems there is different opinions on that topic.
I do not own that machine for a long time and recently changed to the 9.4CH ROM.
I do not get any extra ball at all (might be related to no being a good player) or maybe some adjustments not being correct...but could not find them
IIRC with the old ROM the game came with I could at least lite the extra ball insert at the lock ramp.

do you get extra ball for getting enough robots? I know I get EBs on my game. take the glass of to test things. see if you get the EB to light by following the rule sheet on IPDB.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=marvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.