IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jason_jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

271 posts in this topic match your search for posts by jason_jehosaphat. You are on page 1 of 2.
#10353 2 years ago

TZ Playfield Parts Availability?

I'm looking at a local TZ for sale and when I look over the playfield I see various parts that are oxidized or corroded - perhaps from exposure to moist air over time. Things like the blue, spring-steel ramp flaps, or the stainless ramps themselves, or various posts - they just look a bit "tired" or blotchy or in some cases show actual corrosion, and I wonder if I can tumble them back to life or if I will have to replace them if I end up buying the game. Are these parts available as new reproductions at reasonable prices? If so, from what source? I've checked Marco, Planetary, and PBL. All have a smattering of parts - plastics, for instance - but no stainless ramps.

Thanks in advance.

#10356 2 years ago

Thanks, Davi and Hawknole, for your input.
I'm a little worried about sorting such a complicated machine, but I'm going to give it a shot.
My games to this point have been modern Sterns, although I have done some ambitious modding on them and learned a fair amount about troubleshooting minor issues - thanks mostly to my friend LTG.
Are there reproduction Magna-Flip PF's available? The stock PF has been a bit abused on the right corner by blasts from the upper-right flipper toward the Camera. Is there some kind of Cliffy for that area? The board beneath the Magna-Flip PF has been abused, too. I'm going to need to learn how to cut/rivet replacement ramp flaps I guess. Not sure what gauge spring steel I will need. Do I cut them with tin snips? I have no sheering table, not surprisingly.
The first and most important thing I'm doing is scanning the Service Manual:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2684/Bally_1993_Twilight_Zone_Operations_Manual_OCR_searchable.pdf
God bless IPDB!

#10357 2 years ago

Legs:

Please advise me on replacement legs. The stock legs are rusty. I can't polish them back to life.
The Service Manual in section 2-3 shows a cabinet parts diagram and C-10843 for the "metal leg assembly."
Looking on Pinball Life for this part number shows leg sets for System-Eleven games, not WPC89. Are these legs sufficiently tall? Standard length should be 28-1/2", correct? No mention in this listing of length.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williams-system-11-chrome-legs-set-of-4.html?Category_Code=

#10358 2 years ago

Has anyone installed this particular repro' mini playfield?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/36-50020-1

What are your thoughts? Junk? Worthwhile? This is the only one I could find. Are there originals kicking around?

#10360 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The ribs are wrong on those. Most sites are out of the correct legs for some reason. PBR still has them.
http://www.pbresource.com/legs.html
LEG-28RC

Thank you, Mad Dog. Very helpful!

#10361 2 years ago

Flaky Upper-left Flipper: Please Help Me Troubleshoot

The upper-left flipper works fine in test but usually won't fire during gameplay. If it *does* fire, it does a little flutter. Like, it flips, then semi-flips immediately after, only it happens quickly enough to look like a spasm.

Former owner reseated the connectors in the Flip-tronics board in the head and swapped out the flipper opto for a leaf-switch version. Mind you, the "new" flipper switch is not simply a leaf switch as it accepts the connector that a flipper opto board would, etc. I would post a photo here but the machine isn't handy. It's kind of a hybrid thing. Perhaps it doesn't belong, but the flipper didn't work with the stock opto either. Will it be necessary to replace the Flip-tronics board in the head? If so, are they available and at what cost?

How else should I chase the problem? I have a multi-meter if that's called for.

Thanks in advance.

#10362 2 years ago

Lever-Guide Assembly Availability?

The Service Manual shows part #A-9174-4 for the lockdown receiver bar assembly. Marco is out of stock of A-9174-1. Is the "4" for widebody and the "1" for standard-body, or do wide- and standard body games use the same receiver?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/D-9174-1

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
#10364 2 years ago

Thanks, Manny.
Pressing the left flipper button in test mode fires only the bottom left flipper.
No stage, no nothing from the upper.

#10367 2 years ago

Thanks, Manny, for the link. I will do some reading there.
Thanks, Scotty, for your suggestion regarding the coil itself. I don't have a replacement coil, but I can order one from PinballResource.
Today I will swap out the Fliptronics board for one that comes from another machine whose flippers are working properly. That will help me rule out my board if nothing else.

#10372 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Hey Jason - can you post a pic of your flipper switch as you mentioned that the original opto board had been swapped out for a hybrid leaf switch that had the original cable connector plugging into it. I have leaf replacements on a few of my machines, but curious what this switch looks like

Hi.
I will have to photograph that oddball switch later. I've returned from the site where the game is, so I can't lay a hand on that switch for the time being. Sorry.

#10373 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I had similar and ended up replacing the flipper opto board and that fixed it. You can switch left and right boards and see if problem follows to rule out the board if that's not it.

Thanks, Awesome1, for your suggestion.
Before I tried this, I borrowed a Fliptronics board from another TZ whose flippers work. No luck. Then I swapped out the funky switch for a proper flipper opto. Still no luck. Then I swapped the two optos, side to side, and, inexplicably, this solved the problem. Not surprisingly, I had lots of help from LTG. He even gave me some new 555's and a few 906's to start me on my cleaning/bulbing of the machine.
Thanks to all of you who listened and made suggestions. I appreciate it. On to the next issue!

#10374 2 years ago

V-Pad Kicker Accuracy Issue: Suggestions Sought

When I soft plunge for the SS on this game and the ball trickles into the kicker, it will rarely get launched properly up into the Camera shot. It bricks off whatever's close instead. Can this kicker be tuned up so that it launches the ball accurately? In the diagram below, you can see there are few parts to the mech. Where is its adjustability? I see none. Does it make sense to replace parts 1, 2, and 3? Will that tighten up the action of the armature?

Screenshot (46) (resized).jpgScreenshot (46) (resized).jpg
#10395 2 years ago

Source for replacement right-side flipper-return ballguide? Need only the stainless, not the whole assembly (A-16203-1).

Checked Marco's, PBR, PBL, and Planetary.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

75F4AB61-E912-4A47-997E-FC94AD87D270 (resized).jpeg75F4AB61-E912-4A47-997E-FC94AD87D270 (resized).jpeg

#10414 2 years ago

How to Free Habit-trail From Right Ramp?

This is a legit disentanglement puzzle.
Can't free it!
Do I squeeze the habit-trail ends to slip the anchor out?
No flexibility there!

A37D22BD-A1FD-46A0-9C73-EC3C47CA011F (resized).jpegA37D22BD-A1FD-46A0-9C73-EC3C47CA011F (resized).jpeg
#10416 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Is it tack welded on?

No.
I got it.
Manual says "unhook" and separate.
Whew!
Now time to polish!

1 week later
#10465 2 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Took some closer up pics today…
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Holy shirt!
Mind BLOWN!
Amazing workmanship!
I thought I was working hard on my TZ, but yours is in another league!
Love it!

#10466 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Swap or replace the ooto flipper board on the cabinet. This is a common issue with dirty or failing optos.
Try switching the two boards, and see if the problem also shifts sides.

The switch-a-roo trick sorted my game. Try it!

#10467 2 years ago

ISO:
My twin gate assembly that straddles the shooter lanes has shabby flaps. They're rusted/ugly.
Marco has the left flap in black and the right flap in stainless. Not so helpful.
Does anyone out there know of a source for matching flaps? Does Mantis make them?

Also, how does this assembly come apart to access the flaps? I assume the hinge rod slides out, but how? It's confounding!

TZ.gate (resized).jpgTZ.gate (resized).jpg
#10474 2 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I couldn't work it out! Seems like a complete unit to me. My machine had a Friday afternoon gate, in that it has 2 of the same type of flaps, not one of each type. I just bought another complete unit in the end.

Your assessment is sound: the assembly doesn't really come apart unless you sheer off the flared end of the hinge rod. You can then put the assembly back together with the original, shorted rod (not ideal) or fabricate a new rod (very challenging). So, not sure where that leaves me. Interesting that your assembly has two left gates. I think that's cool and should be retained.

#10478 2 years ago

How to Remove Flasher Stack in Back Left?

Manual says it can be "rotated" and freed without lifting the PF out of the cabinet. (Note #6)
Not even close.
Can't make room by freeing the gumball machine first as its anchor screws can't be accessed beneath the flasher stack. Maddening!
Screenshot (47) (resized).pngScreenshot (47) (resized).pngTZ.back.left (resized).jpgTZ.back.left (resized).jpg

#10483 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Anyone have trouble with LEDs being too tall for the pop bumpers.
Did a full rebuild with everything new.
The 555s fit fine. The LEDs fit in one but not the other two.
All light sockets are the same.
I suspect 2 of the bodies are shorter than the third. One is bright white and the other 2 are not as bright.
Are there 2 heights for pop bodies?

As far as I know, Williams bodies are 1/8" shorter than Stern bodies. No idea on Gottlieb bodies. It's not easy to nest a wedge socket in a Williams body if your cap isn't large/dome'ish. But here's a little tip: a 44 socket actually sits a little lower, so it will afford you a wee-bit more clearance. Or you can just use a Stern body.

#10484 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Has anyone else removed the metal lamp over the upper playfield. I just put in illuminated star posts on my upper playfield and yanked that ugly thing out.

Interesting. You removed the beloved lamp above your upper PF? Mod addicts are fond of spending $170 for the lamp with the "Twilight Zone" cut-out. Not you! I would like to remove mine and polish it until it gleams. Then it will be welcome there.

Star-post lights in your upper sounds fly. I was thinking I would try that, too. Gotta order some from Comet, although they're expensive for what you get. I'm excited to personalize the lighting in this TZ. Right now all my time is going into repairs and shopping. I plan on a backboard decal and mirror blades, too.

#10485 2 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

I removed the entire backboard and that gave me more room to remove the flashers. I did a complete bulb swap and was able to replace the flashers without removing the gumball. I have removed the gumball and that was a pain, but did twist out like the manual explained.

This turned out to be exactly what I did. It irks me that the manual writer says I can "rotate" it and free it when that's clearly not true. It's helpful for me to have the back panel out, however, as now I can apply the decal easily. I've chose the one from Joey at PinballDecals.com. It basically mimics the front cabinet decal. It's fairly subtle I guess.

I pulled the wireform that feeds the gumball machine to polish it. I polished all the wireforms with bronze wool. Works well. No scratchy!

#10486 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

If the shaft has those "pinched" stops, you could grind them off with a dremil but i do not have any idea how to recreate them once they are gone.

That gate assembly is diabolical. If you grind off the flared sides of the peened end, you can get the hinge pin out, and get it back in, but you'll have no way to re-flare it and it will likely just slide out with gameplay. My solution? Leave it alone until I can find a better replacement.

#10487 2 years ago

Gumball Modding: Ideas, Anyone?

I want to spruce up my gumball machine by loading it with some eye-catching spheres. The translite shows pinballs in there - which is fly! Has anyone stuffed full-size pinballs in there? I doesn't like more than one or two would actually fit. What are some common examples of gumball mods for the gumball machine? It doesn't look as though it can be loaded from above. Do I have the right? Must I pull the whole toy and access the tank/jar from underneath?

#10491 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

The lamp is ugly and partially blocks the view of the gumball machine. I'll take a photo once my low profile upper playfield switches are installed and those hideous grey switch cover boxes are gone...

Low-profile switches? No grey hoods? Sounds promising! Share pics when you have them!

#10492 2 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

I added pachinko balls to mine to give it a similar effect. Looks pretty cool and mimics the backglass to an extent. Takes a lot of balls though, like 60-70 total.

Pachinko, eh? Interesting. If I remember correctly, a Pachinko ball is about the size of the balls used in the lower PF on The Munsters - which is to say, *much* smaller than a pinball. Still, at least they're silver and gleam like pinballs.

I believe they still play Pachinko in Japan. Or is it China?

#10504 2 years ago

I used about 25-30 balls in each half. Looks better with the power on and pinbits lights shining down, but took these in a hurry! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's slick. I can see in just the one photo of your game how nice it is. Wow! Great example! Nice, straight, clear plastics on the main ramp! Cool back panel decal!

#10505 2 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

I fixed my game! A few minor issues left, but it’s playable.
The only thing is… my shooter rod broke and, well, I didn’t have anything else.
[quoted image]

Looks like a nice game. Congrats on bringing her back online. The rose shooter rod looks nice, if not exactly theme-appropriate.

#10506 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Love the low profile switches! A little bit of work to install, but well worth it!
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks super dope. Great job!
Are these switches available from Marco's or Pinball Life, or are they part of an exclusive kit made by Twister?

#10508 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

IIRC someone in the US used to make them a long time ago but these days they are only available via Twister so you need to contact him directly

Thanks, Manny.
I'll reach out to Twister.

#10513 2 years ago

Easy-break Plastics?

Please list those playfield plastics on TZ that are particularly prone to breaking.

*Slings
*Flipper lanes
*Slot Machine
*Rocket Pad
*Magna-Flip signs

What else?

Is the large plastic above the Jackpot scoop/hole anything to be concerned about? It takes shots from the upper-left flipper, but that flipper's coil is fairly mild. Or how about the wedge-shaped piece just above the upper-right flipper?

Thanks.

#10515 2 years ago

Is this normal?

I took this plastic off the playfield as part of the shopping process.
Its spacers are mismatched, causing it to bend.
Is there a purpose to that, or should I replace the longer spacer with something that matches the shorter one?

9C3CDDA7-6FF4-4F91-A808-956F759ABDF8 (resized).jpeg9C3CDDA7-6FF4-4F91-A808-956F759ABDF8 (resized).jpegFA320FE8-9007-4C2E-AFF6-42AF95A6AEC7 (resized).jpegFA320FE8-9007-4C2E-AFF6-42AF95A6AEC7 (resized).jpeg
#10519 2 years ago

Is my center lamp board missing its flasher board or did some TZ's ship without them?
Are they still available?
If I don't put one in, will my inserts look dim above these vacant holes?
Just want to build a complete game.
Thanks.

13D91E9C-BE64-4CAD-9ECB-FB8B2B3F65EC (resized).jpeg13D91E9C-BE64-4CAD-9ECB-FB8B2B3F65EC (resized).jpeg
#10531 2 years ago

GI LED Color and Brightness:

Which do you prefer?

Cool White?
Sunlight?
Warm White?

2SMD or 1SMD?

Thanks.

#10533 2 years ago

Sunlight 2SMD + GI OCD default settings (i may have tweaked them)

Thanks, but why do you need the OCD board for the GI alone?

#10544 2 years ago

Hi.
How does this plunger come out of the bracket?
Weird cradle head seems pressed on.
Gum ball kicker.
Just resleeving all these kicker coils.
Thanks.

6650AC0A-DAA2-4131-A98D-6532FC9EAAC5 (resized).jpeg6650AC0A-DAA2-4131-A98D-6532FC9EAAC5 (resized).jpeg

#10547 2 years ago

Posts or star posts in upper zone of pops?

49B3614A-FA34-4FE8-BF5F-9CA47A4CBAC1 (resized).jpeg49B3614A-FA34-4FE8-BF5F-9CA47A4CBAC1 (resized).jpeg
#10548 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Is't there a screw on top, in the "cup" so to speak ?

Yes. This became clear once I took the bracket off the PF.
Thanks, all.

#10552 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

As factory, star posts. Though nothing stopping you from putting anything else in there.

Thanks.
I wondered because the pop ring is hitting the rubber rings.
Now I'm stuck.

#10555 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Tighter rings, loosen the posts slightly and shift them, loosen the pop-bumper body/top and shift it. That is naturally a very very tight area. I remember having issues up there too.

Thanks, Coyote, for weighing in.
My solution was to shave a few millimeters from each of two sides of the ring. I had a conflict at the ballguide, too.

F7C750B2-EAD9-4DA9-A555-8C9661AF3671 (resized).jpegF7C750B2-EAD9-4DA9-A555-8C9661AF3671 (resized).jpeg
#10556 2 years ago

Back-panel decal to liven up the PF...

BD6EB8FC-A5E4-4130-83F8-AB41AADCF6C0 (resized).jpegBD6EB8FC-A5E4-4130-83F8-AB41AADCF6C0 (resized).jpegC1FE1048-A5FF-4AF0-99CF-17C45E462B46 (resized).jpegC1FE1048-A5FF-4AF0-99CF-17C45E462B46 (resized).jpeg
#10561 2 years ago
Quoted from harig:

interesting to see a #44 bayonet socket in your bumper.
Any reason to put it instead the stock #555 ?

Good eye.
Switched to 44 sockets cause they'e a tad shorter (for cap clearance) and I like the security of the bayonet.

#10562 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Been eyeing that one myself....how is the quality??

Nice product for sure.
Just apply with care to beat air bubbles.
This is a gorgeous decal, but, sadly, you don't see most of it once installed.

#10563 2 years ago

Connector confusion:

Reconnecting various wiring harnesses after a topside tear-down.
Embarrassingly, I have three that are confusing me, all 2-pin and all with green and white leads.
On the right in the photo, the ramp harness's female 2-pin seems set to meet a 2-pin male, but what's going on with the 2-pin male on the left, ten inches away?
I *think* the left male is unrelated, but where is his mate?
He seems to be a subway switch just above the gumball kicker.

32A180B0-AF6F-4207-ACA3-B8933B626749 (resized).jpeg32A180B0-AF6F-4207-ACA3-B8933B626749 (resized).jpeg8A7E13BF-5A57-4DB8-922A-1378C9CC7C66 (resized).jpeg8A7E13BF-5A57-4DB8-922A-1378C9CC7C66 (resized).jpeg90AD7540-37B4-4C18-A446-CFDCE428F585 (resized).jpeg90AD7540-37B4-4C18-A446-CFDCE428F585 (resized).jpeg
#10568 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Second picture is your Left Ramp (made) switch, #54. The first pne you have pictured is likely you Left Ram Enter switch, #53.
I am guessing when you put you installed your ramp, you forgot to feed the entry switch plug through the hole in the PF.

You are very clever, Coyote!
Bingo!
Forgot to fish the left ramp's switch connector/harness down through the PF.
BIG problem, as I had no access with the ramps installed.
Enter: the lifesaver!
A length of coat hanger cut/bent into a wire fisher!
Crisis averted!

3449A30A-9DBA-4C65-94A1-BE58832982DB (resized).jpeg3449A30A-9DBA-4C65-94A1-BE58832982DB (resized).jpeg8CFD7CB8-1D71-4DFB-8B9B-8A04C6FFCE7C (resized).jpeg8CFD7CB8-1D71-4DFB-8B9B-8A04C6FFCE7C (resized).jpegFCB4DF97-8B60-4DD0-8482-A3462BA06E98 (resized).jpegFCB4DF97-8B60-4DD0-8482-A3462BA06E98 (resized).jpeg
#10572 2 years ago

Opto Confusion:

Left-magnet opto switch (#83) out.
Had to pull the ramp to inspect.
Orange lead disconnected.
Whew! Problem solved!
Not so fast...
After the solder repair, the switch is still open in test (should be closed until beam is broken).
Meter reads 2V at working optos elsewhere on PF, but 29V at #83.
29V???? WTF?
Photo shows left- and right opto connectors.
All looks Kosher but clearly is not.
Ideas?
AE587081-CFBA-4614-BF52-75028A09416A (resized).jpegAE587081-CFBA-4614-BF52-75028A09416A (resized).jpeg

B094B629-C170-41BE-9A5E-3F7305E154D0 (resized).jpegB094B629-C170-41BE-9A5E-3F7305E154D0 (resized).jpeg
#10574 2 years ago

LED shade of white for inserts:

What do you prefer?

Warm White?
Natural/Cool White?

All 1SMD?

#10575 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Did you mean slot machine target needs to be reinforced?

I believe he meant the yellow target to the left of the Player Piano Jackpot hole/scoop opposite the upper-left flipper. The only source I know of for the "reinforced" target is The Pinball Resource. I installed one at the Slot Machine scoop and one beside the pops that takes the most punishment. I s'pose I should have put one by the Player Piano but I did not. They cost about $9 each and come with the diode already soldered in place. The soldering involved to swap out a target is fairly simple. It's good practice for basic soldering technique. Hard to screw it up.

#10583 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I am guessing you checked multiple times to make sure this wasn't a mistake/meter error? If so, again I don't have a ton of knowledge with this game and don't have time to look in the manual before heading out to work, but if this has an associated resistor (which many do) I would check that first. It's also worth checking the voltage from the PCB to see where that is at.

Hi, NG. Thanks for your help. I did check and recheck the voltage at the switch and couldn't believe it read 29V when it should read just 2V. I will replace the opto and see where we are. I will have to ask LTG for help reading diagrams if I hope to find the associated resistor and just where the power for that switch leaves the PCB - or even *which* PCB. Do you *not* recommend just replacing the opto and seeing what happens?

#10584 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

That's going to come down to your tastes. I have terrible night vision, anything dim and dark is miserable for me so I like my pins bright. I go natural white for: white, yellow amber and then the associated color for blue, green, red, purple. And much to the dismay of Taxman (RIP) I go 4 SMD.
I've read through the first ten or so pages of this group and must say it is one of the better and most helpful ones out there. It seems like a really solid and passionate group of pin owners. I cannot wait to get this PF started. It's great when you can help get a friend's pin back up and running.

Hi again, NG. Got it. A matter of taste. Sifting through this thread turns up *many* posts about shades of white - in GI and inserts - as wells as color matching inserts, etc. My initial impression of the stock lighting is, gosh, this is so yellow/dirty/dim! I just have the urge to clean everything, to brighten it up somehow - although I already have cleaned all the lenses of the stock bulbs!
I'm going to try the GI OCD board to start with and natural/cool 2SMD frosted bulbs from Comet. I may break down and buy the insert OCD board later, but for now I will tolerate the yellow/dirty/dim incandescents. I foresee using cool white 1SMD clear for the clear inserts and warm white 1SMD clear for red/orange/amber inserts - either with the OCD board or without it. Not sure what I would use in backbox. Perhaps 1SMD Sunlight. I like the idea of the OCD board as I like the freedom to use whatever LED/SMD I care to in any spot on the PF or for any insert - the way I can on a modern pin. I just wish they weren't so expensive. This game is turning out to be a bit of money pit and I still haven't ponied up for the color DMD!

#10586 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

On my MM, there is a PCB under the PF that has a resistor stack on it for the optos. Resistors bring down the voltage so it's the first place I would look if it's that high at the switch. The opto itself is pretty simple and I doubt it would cause what you are experiencing voltage wise.
I have my friend's manual here and have the day off tomorrow, so I can dig a little more.

This appears to be the animal.
The upper connectors are optos. The opto wiring harness begins here and snakes to all the optos - trough, lock, upper PF, magnets, etc.
How can the board supply the proper voltage to all of them *except* switch #83? The board doesn't supply the optos individually, does it?
Each opto has a simple PCB on it. Perhaps that's faulty on #83. Perhaps replacing the opto will sort it out.
At least we know a replacement board is available:
https://www.pinballlife.com/10-opto-replacement-board-for-twilight-zone-a-16807.html
Manual shows J4-3 feeds switch #83.
Resistors servicing that connector look good.
Red-black-red-gold. Is that 40ohm?
Can these be tested on the board?
I would rather not desolder one to test it.
Not sure which corresponds to J4-3 though.
D98EADF2-4EC9-43EC-B5AC-94637845B6EE (resized).jpegD98EADF2-4EC9-43EC-B5AC-94637845B6EE (resized).jpeg
1213C05C-85F8-4EE2-BEBC-1A4BD276FA1C (resized).jpeg1213C05C-85F8-4EE2-BEBC-1A4BD276FA1C (resized).jpegFB34BBAE-064B-469D-A4CF-624A3D41AB4B (resized).jpegFB34BBAE-064B-469D-A4CF-624A3D41AB4B (resized).jpeg53DC4DE6-0168-4D64-AF58-C685E6F8687E (resized).jpeg53DC4DE6-0168-4D64-AF58-C685E6F8687E (resized).jpeg

#10597 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, first,

Okay, so first, you need to realize that that board only gets 12v unregulated, which should NOT be as high as 30v.
All LEDs (the sending part of the opto switch) have one feed wired together in serial, and all PHOTO-TRANSISTORS (the receiving end) has one feed wire all connected. The other wire to each opto/led go straight to this board you have pictured.
If you ARE getting ~30v, then something is shorted, and it is likely NOT the opto board above. Do NOT put on another opto, and feed 30v through it; you will just fry it faster than a hot-dog on the sidewalk in Arizona. Trace the wire that's giving you the 30v through the wiring harness; likely it is shorting against a flasher wire.

Got it.
12V from the board. Impossible to get 29V from it unless a short is involved.
I'm embarrassed to say that today's reading at the switch is 13V. Doubt it changed. More likely I misused the meter. Including a photo here for you to confirm meter setting and probe use. 20V DC is the setting.
The upper PF's opto switch reads 6.5V and the right magnet's opto not even 2V.
So, clearly things are amiss. Oddly, all the other opto switches work in test, despite the goofy voltages.
Note: I probably don't need to point this out, but for the record I am a rank amateur repair tech with no experience on machines of this vintage.

Also, in single-switch test for #83 the wires are described in colors that do NOT match the leads to this switch. They are grey and orange/black. These same colors feed the other optos, too.
8EF3A25E-5361-4935-84AC-2C368F3DE092 (resized).jpeg8EF3A25E-5361-4935-84AC-2C368F3DE092 (resized).jpeg

F45BF26D-E031-4DCF-A556-1722CE43A457 (resized).jpegF45BF26D-E031-4DCF-A556-1722CE43A457 (resized).jpeg
#10601 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

<snip>
The colors reported on the display are for the switch row and column.

Oh. Got it. Thanks.

Quoted from Coyote:

<snip>Pages 3-16 and 3-17 will answer the wire-color issue for you, and will also show you where to check next.
13.77v is a good voltage on 12vu (unregulated).

Also very helpful. Thanks!

Quoted from Coyote:

<snip>
This is assuming, too, that you used your cel-phone camera, aimed it at the emitter (the white one just across) and saw a glow.

No glow on #83 before, but I'm happy to report that I installed a new opto set from Pinball Life today and the switch is working again. Whew!
Thanks for putting up with all my photo-laden posts. I was some worried there! I will check my voltages tomorrow - from the black side only!

#10602 2 years ago

LED ColorDMD, anyone?

I know LCD ColorDMD's are very common in TZ, but are there listmembers here who have/prefer the LED version?

Sadly, I can't find any clips of TZ's LED ColorDMD on YouTube to compare. Indeed it's hard to find any clips at all of LED ColorDMD's, but I did find one of TFTC and it looked bright/dope.

Thanks.

#10609 2 years ago

No Upper PF Magnet Action.

"Magnet Test" shows flipper switches closing with each flipper-button press, but no magnet pulses to affect test ball.
Spiral magnets work fine.
Thought it might be a fuse but don't see any dedicated to the magnets in the fuse list.
And yes, the upper PF connectors are connected, including the thick branch for the magnets.
Ideas?
Thanks.

23F2A5DA-F733-4838-B94E-C4220A0EF064 (resized).jpeg23F2A5DA-F733-4838-B94E-C4220A0EF064 (resized).jpeg

#10610 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Made a quick video of attract mode to show the basics of the ED ColorDMD... not the greatest video as my phone doesn't like the brightness of the display!

Thanks, Awesome.
That was helpful.
Looks great!

#10613 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Was it working and stopped or did you remove the power field and now it doesn't work?

I've never seen it work, frankly.
I played one test game when I bought the pin and didn't reach the upper PF.
I immediately started my shop job, including pulling the upper PF, when I got it home.

#10615 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Do the magnets in the orbit work?

Yes, as I wrote, the "Spiral" magnets work fine.

#10619 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

did you test the upper pf entry switch to see if that works?

Hmm.
Not yet.
I will get back to you.

#10624 2 years ago

Source for used, WPC89 coin doors, anyone?

My coin door and frame look awful. Too much rust/corrosion and the door doesn't close smoothly. I don't want to take it all apart and refinish it. Too much work, too much expense. I would rather find a used donor door and frame. Any ideas where I should look? I wish there were a bone yard I could visit.
This photo is *not* my door!

WPC89.coin.door (resized).jpgWPC89.coin.door (resized).jpg
#10630 2 years ago

Hi.
Pulled my upper PF in my effort to troubleshoot the magnets.
Hoping to find something obvious under here but, alas, no such luck.
What are the odds that the current disruption is here and not farther up stream?
How does one intelligently troubleshoot this PF?
Do I raise the main PF, reconnect the upper's harness, and then test voltage at the connector closest to each magnet? That will be awkward for sure.
The other issue is the probes on my meter.
They are shielded almost to the tips.
I will need to stuff them into the female 6-pin molex to measure the voltage.
Last photo below shows the connector for magnet portion upper PF's harness.
Not sure how much success I will have testing the mate with my probes.
Might have to fashion a test-specific connector with short leads.
I'm a bit lost here.
Ideas?

180DA7A1-78A3-474B-ACB9-CB606683E4CF (resized).jpeg180DA7A1-78A3-474B-ACB9-CB606683E4CF (resized).jpeg36A315C6-F2F7-4619-8999-7DC40DA45E47 (resized).jpeg36A315C6-F2F7-4619-8999-7DC40DA45E47 (resized).jpegA082B6ED-088B-4140-9D4A-73DFD1446071 (resized).jpegA082B6ED-088B-4140-9D4A-73DFD1446071 (resized).jpeg
#10634 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Jason_Jehosaphat,
I had a problem with the magnets which stopped working on my TZ mini-playfield several years ago. The issue ended up being my U-20 chip (ULN2803) was fried. See the URL below for the troubleshooting involved and a final resolution. Post #4 in this thread contains a URL which details the troubleshooting involved and eventual resolution.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tz-problem-with-all-switches-on-column-4
Gord

Hi, Gord.
Thanks for the suggestion.
None of my switches is out, so I don't suspect a fried U-20. I could be wrong, of course.

#10635 2 years ago

3-6 in service manual shows Solenoids #25 and 26 (left and right upper PF magnets) are powered by the DC Motor Control board, which sits below the back right corner of the main PF.
Mine appears fine. Am I looking for voltage at J124, 1 and 2? And *what* voltage?

13583B62-5DE1-40E5-A93C-6EC05CC0D9FE (resized).jpeg13583B62-5DE1-40E5-A93C-6EC05CC0D9FE (resized).jpeg5BBE7389-F7A8-4DC6-AF94-1DA4E68C4801 (resized).jpeg5BBE7389-F7A8-4DC6-AF94-1DA4E68C4801 (resized).jpegC0438D92-65B7-4B80-AE5A-48C3D2137E12 (resized).jpegC0438D92-65B7-4B80-AE5A-48C3D2137E12 (resized).jpeg

#10637 2 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

The motor control board only controls the clock motor movement.

Thanks.
My mistake.
Solenoids 25 and 26 are powered by the Power Driver Board!
I misread the diagram.

#10638 2 years ago

Magnets Continued...

Can I safely probe this connector during the solenoid test (25, 26) from the back?
1 and 2 feed the upper PF magnets.

2AC90D08-6389-45C2-BAA3-951F21806F88 (resized).jpeg2AC90D08-6389-45C2-BAA3-951F21806F88 (resized).jpegF74A0CB6-C3FC-401C-AAFC-50A0D75817C0 (resized).jpegF74A0CB6-C3FC-401C-AAFC-50A0D75817C0 (resized).jpeg
#10640 2 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Back-probing on an IDC connector is not always reliable. It's much better to follow the connection to the actual device, then forward-probe the device connectors. Also, you would need to check terminal-to-pin tension to assure the connection is sound. Terminals have internal spring plates to force contact tension to the mating pin, and if the spring tension goes away, the terminal won't make proper contact.
Also worth noting is that any header connector with pins should be checked on the PC board for solder integrity. Cold solder connections, especially the high current terminations, are fairly common and will drive you crazy until you find the culprit and re-flow the solder joint.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Before I reflow any solder, I would like to check voltage at the upper PF's harness.
Pictured is the main harness's connector that supplies the upper's harness.
Solenoid wiring diagram shows power to 25 & 26 (left & right upper PF magnets) through blue/red and blue/brown, both of which I see at the connector.
Which wire here is common? Both of the lower magnets appear to have purple leads so I will assume purple is common in all cases.

Also, how does one best use solenoid test mode to check voltage? In solenoid test, you can cycle through "Running," "Repeat," and "Stopped." Do I leave it on "Running" and expect a constant voltage? And what voltage would that be? 50VDC? Can I safely test holding my probes as pictured with the game in solenoid test mode? I'm assuming 50VDC is fairly dangerous.
Addendum:
Decided not to risk handling the probes during test and fashioned a stand-in using a modified Z-connector and wire clips.

Thanks.

9CBAAE07-884C-46ED-B61E-29313B9580F0 (resized).jpeg9CBAAE07-884C-46ED-B61E-29313B9580F0 (resized).jpeg
241D9EB4-061B-4112-BF60-5315606605DE (resized).jpeg241D9EB4-061B-4112-BF60-5315606605DE (resized).jpeg

0B6224EA-4B65-4378-94E3-ED81439BF2FA (resized).jpeg0B6224EA-4B65-4378-94E3-ED81439BF2FA (resized).jpegA2C8AE93-DDBE-4617-B23A-656E08AFCF94 (resized).jpegA2C8AE93-DDBE-4617-B23A-656E08AFCF94 (resized).jpeg
#10641 2 years ago

Test Results:

I started by measuring the voltage at the connectors for the two magnets I know are working. Plugged my red probe into the connector's power lead and the common probe to the cabinet's ground braid. Set the meter to 200VDC.

Nada for both of the working magnets, so clearly my test arrangement is flawed. I'm now stuck. Also tried again with meter set to 20VDC.

Is the problem that I'm testing a disconnected connector? Must I leave it connected and test it from the back? I can't get my test probes in there and I'm spooked about doing any digging there during a magnet pulse.

#10642 2 years ago

Discouraging Development:

Voltage test at the driver board in "Magnet Test" shows @80V to each of the working left- and right magnets, but nothing to either the upper PF magnets.

What would cause this?

Am I overlooking something simple? A blown fuse comes to mind, but I see no mention of magnets in the fuse guide in the manual. All fuses on the driver board are fine.

3923F64C-B2C3-4853-9B74-47B9F8457016 (resized).jpeg3923F64C-B2C3-4853-9B74-47B9F8457016 (resized).jpeg50607474-7349-4F4F-813E-C7283C6D1E4A (resized).jpeg50607474-7349-4F4F-813E-C7283C6D1E4A (resized).jpeg

#10645 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

<snip>
You are jumping ALL over. Take a breather, and slow down.<snip>

My apologies - to you, to everyone - but I have toiled over this game, "shopping" it to a fairly high standard over the last month, and I was hoping that I'd reached the finish line and could finally play the thing. I just wanted it realize its potential, so I tore it down and committed myself to sorting it out, truly. I didn't pay a lot for it but it needed a lot of attention. Along the way I have learned a lot, but, as I wrote earlier, am I a rank amateur tech and this game has obviously challenged me consistently. Troubleshooting the upper PF magnets clumsily is just one of what feel like dozens of hurdles, but I'm hanging in there. If I'm testing your patience, I'm sorry. I realize these threads shouldn't be dominated by the postings of a single user, but you are my best source for guidance and, again, I just wanted to play the game after weeks of work. I will try this last suggestion to the letter and see where I end up. Thank you!

#10646 2 years ago

Testing both violet ("power") leads at the connector to the upper PF's harness reveals c. 70V, so that's encouraging.
The continuity test on the driver wires of the working magnets reveals no beep but does show a pulse of c. 1.5V when magnet pulses in Magnet Test. The same test on the upper PF driver wires shows no continuity for pulses in solenoid test set on "Repeat."
Driver wires can be traced to the 8 high-power driver board beneath the PF.
If there are driver issues, do they originate at this board or on the main driver board?
I assume there are things to learn with the meter and this board.
A good samaritan nearby will let me test my A-16116 board in his TZ. If his magnets don't work with my board, I'll have my culprit.
Thankfully, these boards are for sale new.

06E8334A-6898-4953-928A-8A0AFFF0BA57 (resized).jpeg06E8334A-6898-4953-928A-8A0AFFF0BA57 (resized).jpeg7D7EBB9E-22C1-41F3-86C8-833DC84FB2B3 (resized).jpeg7D7EBB9E-22C1-41F3-86C8-833DC84FB2B3 (resized).jpeg

#10652 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

My apologies for asking, as I have not yet gotten to break down the mini playfield, but I was wondering if it uses the same magnet cores as the playfield? My friend's magnets have some wear and I know I can buy new cores, but if the minis were the same I would just swap them out. I know the body is the same, and the manual shows the same part number I just wasn't sure if they used the same core.[quoted image][quoted image]

Smart idea!
Harvest two pristine magnets from mini-PF!
That never occurred to me, so I took out the cores and dressed/polished them.

602769CC-E202-4011-B483-E59D9F3D858A (resized).jpeg602769CC-E202-4011-B483-E59D9F3D858A (resized).jpegAD8CCB41-F040-4A1A-8768-0F0C577AC8B7 (resized).jpegAD8CCB41-F040-4A1A-8768-0F0C577AC8B7 (resized).jpeg
#10654 2 years ago

Magnets Cont'd:

Quoted from Coyote:

<snip>
If you do NOT get a strobe of continuity, then the High-power driver is fine; it's not activating because it's not seeing the signal from the power driver board.

No continuity beep with common probe connected to cabinet ground braid and red probe used to probe blue/red and blue/brown at the back of the connector - both at the driver board or the high-power board.
It seems the power driver board isn't sending a signal to the high-power board in test or during game play. Why? Does the driver board get that signal from the CPU? During game play, I s'pose it could come from the Fliptronics board, but during test the Fliptronics boards isn't involved, correct? That command to drive the magnets should come from the CPU and be carried to the driver board via the ribbon cable, no? I know I have continuity from the driver board to the mini-PF harness for both blue/red and blue/brown, so I don't suspect a wiring problem. That leaves the CPU (a new Rottendog, so that's unlikely), the ribbon cables (do these ever fail?), or the power driver board. Any ideas?
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I installed my high-power driver board in another TZ and the magnets on that machine still worked fine, so we know it's not that board.

#10655 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Those came out great! Did you just grind them and then polish?

Thanks.
I have no grinder/polisher.
I put the core in a vice and dressed the top with a bastard-cut file until it was flat/true, then I took it out of the vice, flipped it upside-down, and pushed it back and forth *many* times over a sheet of sand paper laid on a flat plank. I used progressively finer sandpaper until I reached 1K grit. Lastly, I polished it by hand with Brasso.

#10657 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Hey all new to the group just added a Fully Restored TZ to the collection. Very excited to have this awesome machine in the collection.
Only issue is the dang Proximity Sensor switch #26. I got the game with the error so just went straight to Marco and bought both parts the coil and sensor board. I'm still having issues. I get nothing from the original Coil board in either sensor board, so that seems bad. The original sensor board looks like a repro also says Anarchy PCB and is black. With the new coil and old sensor board still no change can't get the light to turn off even after adjusting the pot on it. So both new parts now installed, I get a light on when a metal ball is in an can adjust down to have the light turn off. Seems to be working correctly. When the power ball is in the sensor the through switch 15 registers light on sensor board goes out but still have through sensor error.
Something I did notice switching back and forth on the boards when I connect the old sensor board in switch test it Registers as switch 26 but stays locked on. I don't get any notification of switch 26 when I plug in the new board. New board also says Golf Pinball.
Is the new board bad? I just got everything installed this evening and will reach out to Marco tomorrow.
Thanks Berto

Holy shirt!
That thing is stunning!
Congrats!
The PF looks dreamy!
Oh, and where did you get those great apron cards? I want a set.

#10664 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

<snip>If you did not, check continuity between the PDB and the 8-driver high power board.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check continuity between the PDB and the 8-high power driver board and between the 8-high board and the mini-PF. All good.

I have had the very good fortune to work with LTG on this and he graciously allowed me to install, individually, the following parts/boards from my game in his game:

1. Fliptronics board
2. 8-high power driver board
3. CPU
4. Power driver board
5. Ribbon cables

In all cases, LTG's TZ worked fine, including the mini-PF magnets, with my parts, so I'm back to square-one.
To be honest, I'm not even back to square-one; after returning the Fliptronics board to my game, my flipper buttons aren't working. The flipper coils fire in test, but the machine doesn't respond to the pressing of the flipper buttons, in test or game play. All connectors appear to be seated properly and the fuses are good.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

#10666 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

It sounds like the flipper button switches aren't working or are not being seen by the fliptronics board. To confirm, go into switch test mode and see if they are being recognised when pressing the flipper buttons.
Given all flippers are out I suspect that the boards are not connected properly to the fliptronics board or that the left flipper opto board is not getting power from the power driver board which will also cause the right flipper opto board not to work as well as it gets power from the left flipper opto board (see 3-24 & 3-25 pages in the manual)

Thanks for your help.
Flipper buttons fail in test.
I believe connectors J905 and J906 on the Fliptronics main board link to the opto switches. Both are plugged in properly, as are the connectors on the opto switches.

#10667 2 years ago

Latest/Best Game ROM?

My machine was made in 5/25/93 and is running the REV L-2 ROMset.
IPDB shows revisions up to REV L-5.
Is there a benefit to running the later revisions?
Is there any chance that my magnet woes are attributable to my ROMset?
Were there ever any versions that omitted the mini-PF magnets?
I know it's a long shot.
My game also has a Rottendog CPU. Why would Rottendog load an old ROMset?

80EA143E-38B2-4847-B416-191CCE14C8C2 (resized).jpeg80EA143E-38B2-4847-B416-191CCE14C8C2 (resized).jpeg
#10670 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Did you check the power driver connection and confirm you have power at the opto boards?

Hi.
I have 12V at each of the flipper opto switches.
Is this a switch-matrix error?
Is it a ribbon cable?

Not sure if it matters, but I have 0V at the #7 pin on the left opto connector. I do have 12V at #6 though.

00AF9AC6-5937-4DAD-B64A-66836A05A4C3 (resized).jpeg00AF9AC6-5937-4DAD-B64A-66836A05A4C3 (resized).jpeg3E696988-28C3-4809-9D52-A4A7C4AD73D6 (resized).jpeg3E696988-28C3-4809-9D52-A4A7C4AD73D6 (resized).jpeg
#10677 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

So just to confirm:
1. all the flippers work in solenoid test mode - right?
2. both flipper buttons don't show any switch activation in switch test mode - right?
3. J905 (on the fliptronics board) and J1 (on both flipper opto boards) are correctly socketed - right?
4. J903 ribbon cable is orientated on the fliptronics board correctly, with the red line of the ribbon cable matching to J903-1?
4. J1-6 has 12V and J1-3 is grounded - right?
Did you remove the flipper opto boards to test them in your friends machine or was it just the fliptronics board?

Hi.
Yes to all except the last; I did *not* install my flipper opto's in Lloyds game.

#10678 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Since items worked in another game, that means:
1. Your continuity tests were flawed,
Possible but unlikely. Not hard to check.

or,
2. You didn't actually check the magnets on the Mini PF
Only know how to check them in solenoid- and magnet tests, and both were the first things I did. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I don't remember if you checked them, but if you DIDN'T, that would be the next step.

#10681 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Unless it's an optical illusion... the board connector not only looks broken, but the mating half doesn't look fully seated.

Broken. True. But seated.

#10682 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

If you remove J905, start a game and then jumper J905-1 to ground - does the lower right flipper activate? If it does then the issue is the flipper opto boards and/or connectivity, but if it doesn't trigger then the issue is the fliptronics board

Are you telling me I can safely short #1 to ground?
I worry that I will short two pins and damage the board.

#10691 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

If you remove J905, start a game and then jumper J905-1 to ground - does the lower right flipper activate? If it does then the issue is the flipper opto boards and/or connectivity, but if it doesn't trigger then the issue is the fliptronics board

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm unable to even start a game.
Start button not responsive.
Now I'm wondering if the coin door interface board is unhappy.
I know I have 12V at J2-4.
Did I disrupt ground by pulling this old bill validator?

703B2C00-BFDB-4C51-9DD3-1BF45C772B96 (resized).jpeg703B2C00-BFDB-4C51-9DD3-1BF45C772B96 (resized).jpeg
#10705 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Hi.
Sorry for the delayed response.
I tried shorting J905-1 to ground and the flipper did NOT fire.
All switches are working, excluding the flipper optos.
Mini-PF magnets still down.

#10706 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Try removing the fliptronics board. Clean the pads on the back that touch the mounting posts on the back wall. Then clean the top of those posts good. To be sure that board is grounded in the game good.
Problems here always seem to involve the fliptronics board, that you know is good. And all the other boards work good so we know they are grounded good.
LTG : )

Thanks for the suggestion. Still no flippers.

#10708 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I got the second coat of wax down on my friend's PF today. Tomorrow I shall start repopulating. As they say thoughts and prayers...

Awesome work!
That PF cleaned up beautifully!!
Your homey is gonna be jazzed!

#10709 2 years ago

Dead Sockets:

Lamps at upper corners on my "Door" board aren't working. I know the sockets are fine as I can rotate them around the board to check them.
I was told to reflow the solder at the connector, which I have now done.
Multimeter reads 1.5V at working sockets and 0V at the corners.
How do I revive this pair?

7DDA0D95-BFFD-43E0-AD2F-1BEFC2A8DEB8 (resized).jpeg7DDA0D95-BFFD-43E0-AD2F-1BEFC2A8DEB8 (resized).jpegC89A42A1-4A35-43D4-BEC2-D16E4A292F83 (resized).jpegC89A42A1-4A35-43D4-BEC2-D16E4A292F83 (resized).jpegF8B1F101-A8AD-4BF3-8701-E313929187A2 (resized).jpegF8B1F101-A8AD-4BF3-8701-E313929187A2 (resized).jpeg

#10714 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Were you measuring the voltage in the twist in socket where the LED goes - in which case look at LTG post. If you were measuring on the PCB pads the socket connects to, then I'd say you still have a problem at the header pin or the connector

Measured at the pads.
Having the same issue with this board.
I reflowed solder at these pins, too, but the procedure makes me nervous as each solder point is perilously close to its neighbor. Risk of shorting seems high.
Also, voltage test on the connector shows a variety of voltages, but there *is* voltage at each/every pin for both of the problem boards.
518D4848-FB9B-4DF8-8795-6A372F910255 (resized).jpeg518D4848-FB9B-4DF8-8795-6A372F910255 (resized).jpegADB295B4-1BDB-4B36-B1DE-791B25721A32 (resized).jpegADB295B4-1BDB-4B36-B1DE-791B25721A32 (resized).jpeg

#10717 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Nah I'm across the issues he's having, but after he returned the boards to his machine he posted the following

Yet from a post today it looks like he's fixed that issue - hence I was specifically asking what was the issue with the start button, as in how did he resolve it. As that might be useful to know in troubleshooting the other issues.
I got him to test the flipper buttons in switch test mode and they aren't registering, however when he shorted J905-1 to ground it didn't trigger the flipper either. The opto boards do have power.

Start button sorted. Just poorly seated in socket and not actuating when pressed.
Sorry not to mention that.
Flipper buttons don't register in test.
Flipper coils will fire in solenoid- and flipper tests.

#10721 2 years ago

What type of solder are you using to reflow your joints?

Lead.

#10722 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Do a connectivity test on your DMM between the pad and the header pin - I think you'll find some pins need to be reflowed

Continuity between pin and pad in all three cases.

#10726 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Diode for each bulb good ?

Not sure as my test method is apparently flawed.
Meter set to 2Kohms resistance, then to 200ohms. Black probe to cathode, red to anode. No reading.

7EA01BDD-125C-40DC-9A30-F76CBD7CFBCF (resized).jpeg7EA01BDD-125C-40DC-9A30-F76CBD7CFBCF (resized).jpeg
#10729 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65: Couple of things to do:
1. Clean the optos with alcohol on a Q-tip then test if your flipper buttons work
Done.
2. Swap the opto boards between the left and right sides then test if your flipper buttons work
Done.
3. Go into switch test mode and try jumping J905-1 to J905-6, then try J905-2 to J905-6, J905-3 to J905-6 and J905-5 to J905-6
Done. No jump fires a flipper.
Let us now what you find

#10730 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Thanks for confirming the start button issue.
As to the flipper problem, we know that the fliptronics board works, the flipper coils work in test mode, the flipper opto switches don't work in test mode but are connected and both opto boards have power. What is strange is that shorting J905-1 to J905-6 (ground) doesn't register as a switch closing.
Couple of things to do:
1. Clean the optos with alcohol on a Q-tip then test if your flipper buttons work
2. Swap the opto boards between the left and right sides then test if your flipper buttons work
3. Go into switch test mode and try jumping J905-1 to J905-6, then try J905-2 to J905-6, J905-3 to J905-6 and J905-5 to J905-6
Let us now what you find

No jump in J905 fires a flipper.
Opto switches cleaned and swapped.

#10732 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Put your meter in diode mode...see the symbol on it

Thanks.
Diodes all have approximately identical readings.

#10735 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

<snip>
Assuming a cold solder joint, I reflowed solder to the offending <S> header pin and it has worked perfectly ever since which has been a couple of years now. I am not saying that this is the same issue in your case, but it is something to consider.
Gord

Hi, Gord. Thanks for your input.
I already flowed solder at the base of each pin, adding a tiny amount in each case. I suppose I could do it again but this time *not* add more. I don't really know what more there could be to reflowing solder at connector pins. I hold the iron tip to the solder on one side of the pin and my piece of solder wire on the other. The solder flows, a second or two later my solder flows, I remove my solder and the iron, the solder cools. What else is there?

#10747 2 years ago

Developments:

Magnets:
I brought my mini-PF to Lloyd's and connected it to the harness in his game. Switches, opto, and lamps: yes. Magnets: no. Does anything in this photo jump out at you? I have continuity from the main magnet connector to each magnet connector (violet and violet/white). Remember, my Spiral magnets work, and I already tested my 8-high power driver- and power-driver boards in Lloyd's machine. Is it a grounding issue? I assume that if the the mini-PF weren't grounded properly the switches, opto, and lamps wouldn't be working - but they *did* work in my test swap. It still seems so unlikely that *both* magnets have somehow failed. I mean, I would expect a magnet to fail about as often as a standard coil - which is to say rarely if ever.

Lamps:
I brought my ailing lamp boards to Lloyd's and they work fine in his machine. I guess I have to clean my connectors somehow.

Flippers:
I borrowed Lloyd's Fliptronics board and installed it in my game. Flippers worked normally. I then put my own board back and they did not. Lloyd's inspection of my board pointed to the bridge rectifier - which he then graciously replaced - but it didn't revive the board.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
B23F495E-763B-495A-8B30-6D0661DD1C9D (resized).jpegB23F495E-763B-495A-8B30-6D0661DD1C9D (resized).jpeg

#10751 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Jump the purple wire. It may have a break internally you can't see.

You're telling me the wire could well be broken despite the continuity? Not sure how I would safely jump violet wire.

#10752 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

If you have a good connection and the continuity test isn’t making a noise - jump the cable and see it this fixes it - the Purple cable could well be broken in the cable.

Thanks for your input. I have continuity - and thus a "beep" - when measuring.

#10755 2 years ago

Have you Ohm tested your magnets? Sorry if I missed it. You should be able to tell instantly if your magnet coils are good. They do fail. They should test at about 4.5 Ohms. Just set your meter to Ohms and place the leads on each wire running to the coil.

Both are pulling 5 Ohms apparently.

E5B6E454-9300-4CC9-8132-B3E18E832488 (resized).jpegE5B6E454-9300-4CC9-8132-B3E18E832488 (resized).jpeg
#10758 2 years ago

The magnets are controlled by J124 pin 1 / 2 and J109 pin 5 / 7. How do they look? Q24 and Q26 are the control transistors. Check those out too.

I will look, but don't forget I put my PDB in Lloyd's TZ and his magnets worked fine.

#10759 2 years ago

How do you know the mini playfield magnets aren’t working? They don’t work in test or they don’t work in actual game play? There is an opto that gets tripped when the ball goes to the mini playfield in game play. If that isn’t working your magnets won’t. Check out that opto in the switch test.

Magnets don't work in test or in gameplay.
Opto and switches work fine in test.

#10761 2 years ago

Sorry, just looked at the manual. It is switch 44 (not a opto). Make sure that is working on your game.

That entry switch registers in test.

#10763 2 years ago

Are you sure fuse F103 is OK? Double check it and the fuse clips with the multimeter.

I have continuity end-to-end on all the PDB fuses and from each fuse to its clips.
Again though, I tested my power driver board in Lloyd's TZ and his magnets worked.

#10764 2 years ago

Mini-PF magnets are now working!

I know you all like a good puzzle so I will give you two clues. It was with these two clues alone that I came to the solution.
Both are attached here.
Good luck.
A virtual Snickers bar for the first to get it!
Hint: ignore the meter.

F28FDAF7-B2E7-4E8E-939A-5378ED8B73EC (resized).jpegF28FDAF7-B2E7-4E8E-939A-5378ED8B73EC (resized).jpeg

002FA919-34D4-46E6-9D8F-7167C1BFC301 (resized).jpeg002FA919-34D4-46E6-9D8F-7167C1BFC301 (resized).jpeg

#10767 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:Magnets - looks like you have the left and right magnet connections switched

3B7B5CF0-6ED2-404D-B547-91BD7A88E08C (resized).jpeg3B7B5CF0-6ED2-404D-B547-91BD7A88E08C (resized).jpeg
#10770 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

So, they did work just not for the correct switch?

No.
The magnets didn't work at all until the connectors were switched back to stock - violet/white to right.

#10771 2 years ago

Developments:

Lamps:

I'm looking at the lamp matrix in the manual and surprised to see all the lamps that are out reside in a single row - #7. Legend reads Red-Violet, J133-8, Q84. That pin resides on the PDB. Looks fine. I will check continuity to the lamp board connectors.
Okay, I do *not* have continuity between the lamp connector at the PDB and the connector at the lamp board. Do you suspect a broken wire or a failed transistor? Is Q84 the transistor in question? How can it be tested?
Oop!
Found this broken wire near a dead socket and - lo' and behold! - it's red/violet.
Now to figure out how it connects to that socket. Does it go to the banded end of the diode?
Done.
All sockets happy!

8093D3A0-8884-4C71-8230-06D08BA83332 (resized).jpeg8093D3A0-8884-4C71-8230-06D08BA83332 (resized).jpeg

#10774 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Compare to your other sockets. All wired the same. Only the stripes on the main color are different.

Thanks.

#10775 2 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Hey guys would like to share a couple of photos of my Tz topper I'm working on. It is permanently lit but flashes during timed modes. Looks neat in person and the yellow is very close to the translite pyramid. It also has a blue light coming from the front eye but my photo doesn't show it well.

Wow!
Super dope!
Great job!
Your translite is beautifully lit. LED's? Is so, what shade of white?
Or is that a CPR mirrored backglass?

#10778 2 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Thanks, cool white and super bright except around twilight zone, these are cool white but quite dim leds.

Interesting. "Super Brights"? Do you mean simply 2SMD?

#10779 2 years ago

Rocket Kicker Warning?

My Rocket kicker will fire the instant the switch is closed.
I've noticed on other TZs there is a pause, then a strobe warning, and *then* the kicker fires.
My game ROM is REV-L2 I believe.
Do I need L5 instead?

#10782 2 years ago

Please tell me where this mini-PF corner-protector mod is available online. If it was made by a Pinsider, does anyone recall who that was?

corner.protector.cropped (resized).jpgcorner.protector.cropped (resized).jpg
#10784 2 years ago

Ah! Cliffys! I should have guessed.

Thanks, LTG.

#10786 2 years ago

Translites:

I just cleaned my translite. It was more cream colored than white on the backside. Yellowed with age, I guess. Lately I've been lusting after the CPR mirrored backglass but didn't want to blow the $300+ to get it. So, I figured I would do my level best to clean/revive my original translite first. I wasn't sure how to attack it. I separated it from the glass and laid it face down on the bench covered with a cotton tarp. I tried 409. Barely touched it. Also IPA:H20. Nah! Then I tried Crazy Clean. Only slightly better. Then I tried P21S Paint Cleanser Wax Prep. It's basically a gentle polish with some kind of detergent. That was as aggressive as I dared go. I rubbed it in, then wiped it off with a damp micro fiber rag. I did bring the translite around until it was somewhere between cream and white, but it sure wasn't bleach-white. I have bought cool-white 1SMD bulbs for the backbox from Comet and I hope the newly cleaned translite will look its best ever when finally installed. I will take a photo then. I'm a sucker for real backglasses. Love the mirrored accents and the vibrant color!

#10787 2 years ago

Displays:

I'm really on the fence about a ColorDMD. I mean, sure, I would love to have one, but they are $450, shipped. Oof! I saw a clip on YouTube of a color display set to B&W. At first I thought it foolish, but then I realized that even a monochrome display in black/white is much more appealing than one in red! If I do buy a ColorDMD, I will certainly give the B&W look a try. I don't actually like many of the other B&W mods for TZ - artblades, for example. Yeah, the show aired on TV before there were color sets and all, but TZ's playfield is ablaze with color and laying B&W anything beside it looks...well, awful. How many of you ColorDMD owners have yours set to B&W?

#10788 2 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

No I think they are only one smd but bright

All right. Got it. From what vendor? Did you buy "blinking" LED's for the blinking bulbs? Are they plug-and-play or do they flicker without an OCD board?

#10789 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

The two links below show the ROM revision history for TZ.
http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/tz_romrev.txt
http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/tz94h.php
Review these documents and pick which ROM best suits your needs. I have been running game rom U6 L9.4H since 2007 on my TZ and it works great.
Gord

Hi, Gord.
Thanks for the helpful links.
That L9.4H looks great. I don't know that I would use very many of those additional features, but it's just $12, so I will buy/install it just to be sure I have the latest re: that Rocket kicker. I was intrigued by the sound ROM's, too (who doesn't want the best callouts and sound-FX?), but I found an old post here pointing out that the L2 sound ROM adds very little. So, I will skip that one.

#10790 2 years ago

I'm with you; it makes no sense. I assumed that switched connectors would just mean reversed flipper controls. I did *not* imagine it would disable the magnets entirely!

#10797 2 years ago

How to Safely Remove TZ Playfield?

I need to pull the PF from my game to remove/refinish the carriage bolts that support the slide mechanism.
I've never removed the PF from a Bally/Williams cabinet with this style of mechanism and I don't see any instructions for actual removal in the manual. With a Stern game, you can slide the PF out to the service position and then just lift it out. With this mechanism, sliding the PF out to the service position engages the pivot-lock mech. Is the answer to slide the PF only midway out of the cabinet so the mech can't engage the pins on that plate?

83402DA1-AEE7-4753-8834-AC1E5D98BEE9 (resized).jpeg83402DA1-AEE7-4753-8834-AC1E5D98BEE9 (resized).jpegB4186FDE-F7FD-46DD-ACEC-45603F5D9EF9 (resized).jpegB4186FDE-F7FD-46DD-ACEC-45603F5D9EF9 (resized).jpeg

#10798 2 years ago

Does anyone have this particular style of artblades installed in his/her TZ? If so, how do you like them? Winners? Or would rather have a different style after all? If you have time to snap a photo and post it here I would love to see them in situ. Thanks!

TZ.Tilt.Graphics.Gameblades (resized).jpgTZ.Tilt.Graphics.Gameblades (resized).jpg
#10832 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

1. Two people needed.
2. Pull PF forward so it locks into place.
3. Pivot up so it's at a 75-degree angle. With each person gripping the back of the playfield (NOT the back board, but the PF where the back board meets the playfield) use your other hand to press that hood (arrow) in towards the playfield.
4. This will create an opening for that pivot bolt to slide back up - and once free, the playfield will try to *drop down* into the cabinet. (Why your other hands are back there!)
5. Lower playfield downward until the pivot bolt is free of the latch (the arrow part), then angle PF back towards back of cabinet so that the latch won't catch, and then lift up and out.

Okay, I appreciate the thorough instructions, but, again, is it necessary to engage the pivot-lock?
It seems like you have do some death-defying hoisting if you do engage the lock.
Why not just draw the PF *partially* out and lift it out when it's more or less level? No need to draw it out entirely and engage that mech. What am I missing?

#10838 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Has anyone installed these? If so where did you run their lines through and to?[quoted image]

I've installed Comet's star-post lights on a few games. You need to tap into a GI string using one of their "Quick Connects":

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/quick-connects

I suggest plugging it into the socket just beneath the lower-left corner of the mini-PF. There are two there. Join the wires from the two star-post lights to a 2-into-1 splitter and from there to the Quick Connect. You might need a 6" extension wire to reach your Quick Connect from your splitter. All of that should tuck neatly under your mini-PF's carboard underside panel.
What color star post did you decide on? I believe clear with clear rubbers is fairly common when using star post lights on TZ's mini-PF, but blue star posts look dope there, too, for sure.

#10839 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You can, but the issue I ran into is that if you don't pivot the field up enough, you can't lift it up high enough to clear the latches: The back board and ramps hit the underside of the cabinet under the backbox.
By pivoting it up higher, it allows clearance.

Thanks for your thoughts/experience.
Just seems like you can get a hand down behind the backboard when the PF is partially drawn out of the cabinet and just lift. Get your buddy on the front end and up/out she goes!

#10840 2 years ago

LED OCD Woes:

Anyone here with both OCD boards installed?
I just installed a set in my TZ and immediately I have issues.
All of my switches, including optos, are out.
No GI in the clock or coin door or Start buttons.
Sent closeup photos to LED OCD and they said install looks okay.
Double checked all connectors and ribbon cables.
Kit says plug the GI board's harness into game's GI harness, but that means depowering a ton of stuff. (See photo.)
Suggestions sought.

16FC1F1F-3B3C-4C94-B471-9845B5BD1711 (resized).jpeg16FC1F1F-3B3C-4C94-B471-9845B5BD1711 (resized).jpeg346C263E-82CA-4667-9274-13A6D5559495 (resized).jpeg346C263E-82CA-4667-9274-13A6D5559495 (resized).jpeg6AB27975-5D45-4753-A4FE-6D2E6D07C062 (resized).jpeg6AB27975-5D45-4753-A4FE-6D2E6D07C062 (resized).jpegECCD2DD2-A928-4960-84F9-26C9763AA77D (resized).jpegECCD2DD2-A928-4960-84F9-26C9763AA77D (resized).jpeg

#10842 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Off the top of my head...did you install the ground on the gi board?
Nvm... I see it now...check ribbon connectors are seated correctly? Nothing here should affect your switches matrix, but a bad ribbon connection...that's all sorts of crazy

Hi. Thanks for your input.
Blunder discovered:
I had J106 in J107 (same key and pin count) and J108 in J109 (same key and pin count). So, I have my switches back.

#10843 2 years ago

Clock GI Troubleshooting:

(I don't know that the clock face is technically part of the game's GI, but it seems to be on steadily when the game is on, so I'm including it.)

Please tell me how to troubleshoot my clock's GI. In test, you have the chance to watch the hands move forward or backward, slowly or quickly, but no chance to test the SMD's in the clock's face. Also, there is no "clock" lamp in the single lamp tests - more evidence that its lighting belongs to the GI. The clock's wiring harness is a bulky thing and may have two or more connectors. Whatever the case, they are plugged in, but without the chance to ask for "help" when checking its lamp in test, I can't identify which wires/connector feed the lights. I'm assuming the harness supplies power to the board and it in turn powers the SMD's in the face. I had the clock out for the duration of the teardown, not surprisingly, but its lighting worked when I first got the game back together. The change occurred after the installation of the OCD boards. If the board is fried, why do the clock's hands work fine in test?

Ideas sought.

#10846 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Manual has the pinouts for the clock board connectors.
If the clock works and no GI. I'd concentrate on the playfield GI connector lower left corner area of your driver board.
Wiggle it, see if they come back on.

Hi. Thanks for the ideas.
By "clock board" are you referring to the 8 Driver PCB Assembly? I see its pinouts in the manual but nothing related to lighting apart from flashers. It does not appear that the clock's GI originates here.
As for PDB GI connectors, J119, J120, and J121 are all plugged into the OCD board and are no longer on the PDB. I reseated them all to test. No change.
It seems unlikely that *all* of the clock's circuit board SMD's are fried. Power must be interrupted. I would still like to use my manual to see just what wires carry GI power to the clock face, but I'm not finding it.

#10847 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Inside cover of the manual, under "General Illumination" - #3: Clock & Insert.
('Insert' is what the light board is called behind the translight, the backbox. So, the Clock, and part of the backbox.)

Ah! Thank you.
J121-3 and J120-3 if I'm reading that correctly. These are now connected to the OCD board. Guess I need to ask LED OCD again.

#10849 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Try reverting. Return it all to stock. (Move plugs back to PDB, and down by transformer, reconnect to original harness.) See what happens.

All right. I'll work on that. Thanks.
One more thing:
Looking in the manual for the PDB pinouts shows "Yellow, return GI to playfield" for both J120-3 and J121-3. That doesn't help me find wires carrying voltage to the clock's SMD's - or does it? I'm confused.

#10851 2 years ago

I wonder if the fact that I have all my bulbs removed from my backbox is mucking things up. I mean, apparently the backbox and the clock are tied together. Could I be disrupting the circuit by removing my bulbs? I'm waiting on new LED's from Comet. I will install the bulbs before reverting the connectors to the PDB. Tomorrow if I'm lucky.

#10853 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No. Backbox and playfield are different.
Do you have power leaving GI string 3 from the power driver board ?

Which pinout from the PDB feeds GI string #3? Looking at page 3-32 in the manual now but not seeing it.
Closest I see is J114-3, Gray, +5VDC to J210-5, but J2xx is the CPU.

#10860 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I just want to say, that out of all of the groups I am and have been a part of this has by far been the most helpful and positive. You guys are all great ambassadors to the hobby.

I'm probably the biggest help hog up here right now, so, at the very least, I should second this sentiment. Thank you, nerdygrrl, Coyote, Manny, and LTG in particular. Y'all da' best!

#10861 2 years ago

Here is what I believe is the connector that supplies the clock power, excluding its movement.
The yellow/white on the far left measures 10VDC. Is this the yellow/white that originates at J121-3? Seems like plenty of juice for the clock LED's.
LED OCD remarked that it could be a polarity issue.
OCD board may be providing the wrong polarity.

D96A7D84-2CA7-421D-B083-988463550F47 (resized).jpegD96A7D84-2CA7-421D-B083-988463550F47 (resized).jpegF2C4EC75-2E02-4CCE-97D4-CA419E632EC8 (resized).jpegF2C4EC75-2E02-4CCE-97D4-CA419E632EC8 (resized).jpeg
#10883 2 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

You installed the OCD board and then the LEDs on the clock no longer work?
The + and - pins to the LED lights on the clock need to be swapped. The reason the LCDs on the clock are not working is because of the polarity.

GI J120-9 and J120-3 (White/Yellow) Swap these two wires by removing the wire from the back of the modex connector. I used a small screwdriver to push the pin & wire out of the molex connector. Make sure you are swapping the correct pair. (Double check me and confirm it really is J120-9 and 3.)

Since it's normally AC, and is only DC with the OCD board, it won't stop an OEM board from working if it's ever plugged back in.

You're very clever. Raymond at LED OCD also told me it might be polarity.
I've never had any luck extracting a pin from a Molex connector, but I will try. LED OCD is hoping to fashion an adapter for me to try. Perhaps they will send it out next week.
Thanks for your input!

#10884 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I just fought with the stupid post lamps and the mini pf for the last three hours.
[quoted image]

Do you mean you struggled to pull the old bulbs from those sockets? I can relate! Those two are devilish! You can't grab hold of them to do any real pulling. Or perhaps you're just talking about the star-post lights.
Your shop job is amazing. Mad props to you for doing such a thorough job.

#10888 2 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

<snip>The reason the LCDs on the clock are not working is because of the polarity. GI J120-9 and J120-3 (White/Yellow) Swap these two wires by removing the wire from the back of the modex connector. I used a small screwdriver to push the pin & wire out of the molex connector. Make sure you are swapping the correct pair. (Double check me and confirm it really is J120-9 and 3.)
Since it's normally AC, and is only DC with the OCD board, it won't stop an OEM board from working if it's ever plugged back in.

Hi again. Please see the attached photos to help me confirm that J120-3 and J120-9 are indeed the wires to swap at the PDB connector.
I heard from Harold at LED OCD and his suggestion was to swap two pairs of wires at the clock board. This seemed impossible as I can't possibly swap them inside the housing. Do I instead swap them at the clock's connector to the wiring harness?
And again, has anyone else had a clock GI issue after installing a GI LED OCD board?
Thanks.
A5DA81A3-3895-4B11-9956-A4F5A62E955F (resized).jpegA5DA81A3-3895-4B11-9956-A4F5A62E955F (resized).jpegB1F65E7F-8A8A-4545-88C2-4F49D57EB340 (resized).jpegB1F65E7F-8A8A-4545-88C2-4F49D57EB340 (resized).jpeg

#10889 2 years ago

Clock GI Cont'd:

I realize there's a good chance I'm wearing out my welcome with my endless questions regarding my clock's GI, but I heard from Harold at LED OCD and his advice was conflicting with suggestions here and hard for me to understand, in part because in my game J2 is a 4-pin connector. Would you mind taking a quick look?

From Harold at LED OCD:

(Quote)

Jason,

From the TZ manual, the lamps are lit by wires connected to J2. Pins 6 and 5 are the positive terminal, pins 3 and 4 are the negative terminal.
image.png

Swapping 6 with 3 and 5 with 4 would allow LEDs that are turned the other way to light.
image.png

For an adapter, you could get a 0.1" pitch connector that would connect to J2, another that is male pins, then wire as below.
1-1
2-2
3-6
4-5
5-4
6-3
7-7
8-8

That said, I don't have a schematic for Casper's board, so I'm going from what I can see in that picture. It really looks like pins 5 and 6 are labeled C2 and C1, and the + terminal of the LED strips are as well. Based on this, I'm surprised they're not lighting. If the LED strips were rotated 180 degrees, they would still light when fed with AC power (normal GI), but not light if fed DC (like GI OCD).

One other possibility would be that they are connected the correct polarity, but the brightness setting of the GI OCD is not enough to light them brightly. You could try turning up the brightness using the PC software.

(End quote)

Notice how much more involved this is than Mickpat's idea about just swapping J120-3 and J120-9 at the PDB.

C24EE9A3-79BB-4A52-9327-CF2AEF4B1364 (resized).jpegC24EE9A3-79BB-4A52-9327-CF2AEF4B1364 (resized).jpeg
#10892 2 years ago

Thanks.
I just tried this.
First, though, I reverted to stock (took the LED OCD GI board out of the equation) and my clock's GI returned.
I then swapped J120-3 with J120-9 to switch the polarity and re-installed the OCD board. No clock GI.
Now I will return the wires to their stock positions.
Oh, I also reverted to stock but left the J120-3/9 swap in place. Clock GI returned.
I'm discouraged.
I mean, even if I make the adapter proposed by Harold at LED OCD, I don't foresee it helping as its purpose is simply to reverse polarity.
Does it make any sense to buy a different clock board? One from a different vendor?

#10894 2 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

Looking at my original posts, it looks like it might be J121. You can check by confirming this group of wires runs to the underside of the playfield.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try again.

#10895 2 years ago

Thanks, Mickpat.
J121-3/9 was the charm.

9E12B7BB-3F35-4B76-BA71-25E71D84E793 (resized).jpeg9E12B7BB-3F35-4B76-BA71-25E71D84E793 (resized).jpeg
#10896 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You are looking at the WRONG BOARD. That is the MOTOR board, not the CLOCK board. Look in the manual for the Clock Minute Opto board, I believe it's called. (On phone, can't open manual at the moment.)

Oops.
That was embarrassing.
I thought every connector has a unique address. I found J2 on the motor board and assumed I'd found the connector in question.
Rookie!

#10899 2 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

<snip>
spiral arrow, camera, Robbie the Robot, Highly polished gumballs, sparkler circuit for gum ball machine, door flasher kit, diverter magnet, slot machine, decals for the ramp and diverter, millions clock, invader, town square street light, interactive pyramid topper, rocket ship mod, piano mod, 1955 red thunderbird with LEDs, custom spiral sign, custom mini playfield light, pingraffix art blades, color dmd, mirrored translight, pinvision, cliffy protectors,<snip>

Whoa! No expense spared! Impressive. Not sure where you found them all. Many of these are very hard to find Stateside. Congrats!

#10901 2 years ago

Gumball size for Gumball Machine?

I'm having a hard time understanding how to choose/load marbles into the Gumball machine. There seems to be the smallest of openings to either of the side compartments from the top. I can't squeeze anything larger than a ball with a 3/4" diameter through there. What sizes are people using?

Thanks.

#10909 2 years ago

This is the backside of Twister's very clever low-profile switch for the mini-PF.
I've never installed such a switch, but it appears to have clearly labeled solder pads.
Please tell me how to wire it. I've placed a conventional micro switch below it for reference.
Is it white wire to lug that shares black end of diode and green wire to free lug? Which pad in this case is the "free" lug? Does Twister's switch have a tiny resistor onboard or a diode? If it's a resistor, I assume I will be adding a diode like any other switch, but soldered to which pads?
Thanks.
E24D4EDA-1A6E-43B8-91D6-F82BB7408DFE (resized).jpegE24D4EDA-1A6E-43B8-91D6-F82BB7408DFE (resized).jpeg

#10911 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

[quoted image]

Okay, so which of the three pads on the right is for the silver end of the diode?

#10914 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I don't know what the product is or what the front side of the board is but I would always suggest you start by contacting the manufacturer of the product.[quoted image]

Thanks, DumbAss (no offense).
It looks like the diode is already onboard so it's just white to WT and green to GN.
I will ask Twister, too.

#10915 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

This is the backside of Twister's very clever low-profile switch for the mini-PF.
I've never installed such a switch, but it appears to have clearly labeled solder pads.
Please tell me how to wire it. I've placed a conventional micro switch below it for reference.
Is it white wire to lug that shares black end of diode and green wire to free lug? Which pad in this case is the "free" lug? Does Twister's switch have a tiny resistor onboard or a diode? If it's a resistor, I assume I will be adding a diode like any other switch, but soldered to which pads?
Thanks.
[quoted image]

#10918 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you use the left side. White wire to WI. Green wire to GN. Then don't put a diode on it. There is one there.

Thanks!

#10920 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

<snip>The right side is an extra connection. You can connect a mod, a flasher, a star post light or whatever you want.

Very interesting! Thank you, Davi. I just heard from Twister and he confirms that the additional switch is for a mod, flasher, lamp, or whatever you want. I would like to wire this switch to the star-post lights. Who has done this?
I have replaced switches but I have never added a lamp that was wired to a switch. I often add lamps with Comet's Matrix system, but that doesn't involve adding a switch.
How does that work? I assume I have to provide power to the switch and, when it closes, that power flows to the lamp. In this case, though, there is power at the switch already, but how much? Is it 6V? 12V?
It would be trick if I could wire that additional switch at each of the four rails on the mini-PF to light the nearest star post pair. Possible?

#10921 2 years ago

Update from Twister:

"The switch doesn't provide a voltage, it is potential free. You can switch up to 3A and 125V.
For use with star post lights, you should use some time extender, the impuls when you hit the switch is very short. Not sure if you could recognize without extender."

Uh-oh. This sounds more challenging. I have no idea what a switch-impulse extender might look like or how it would be wired. Again, has anyone used the additional switch on any of the low-profile switches in this kit. If so, how?

Thanks.

#10923 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead_jack:

<snip>
Can anyone help me identify the post that is used for supporting the right side of the mini playfield? Is it one part, a combination of parts?? Is there a particular spring size here? Thank you very much![quoted image]

From 2-46 in the manual:

I believe you need mini post 02-4659 and extender 02-4425-1, but I could be wrong. I've never taken my "stack" apart there to know what it's comprised of.

(edit)

Looking now I think I must be mistaken. The post in question does *not* appear to have the standard mini-post base. It's something else and it may not appear on 2-46. Sorry. What you need is a mini-post to accept the sleeve bumper but that post must have an 8-32 female thread in its top to accept the extender.

#10937 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

<snip>
If you run your LED power wire in series with the switches on the normally closed (NC) and Common (Com) connections, your LEDs would be on all of the time unless a switch was hit. Since the switch is only open a very short period of time, the LEDs would only be off a short period of time. An impulse extender is basically a time delay which could be used to make that off transition longer.
If you want the reverse of this - LEDs only on when a switch is hit, you would have to use the normally open (NO) and Com connections. This will work if each switch controls a single LED or bank of LEDs. It gets a little more complicated if you want multiple switches to control the same LEDs if the switch is in the NO position - you would have to wire the switches in parallel.

Thanks, Awesome.
I appreciate the lesson on switches.
I'm not sure what I will do with that additional switch. Since I can't use it as I envision it without an extender, I will probably forget it. I just thought there was a fun customizing opportunity there, but it may be too challenging to use it.

#10940 2 years ago

Fitment Issue: Low-Profile Switch Kit

I've just run into a serious misalignment fitment issue with this very snazzy low-profile switch kit from the extremely talented Twister. You can see in this photo that the "wall" on the outside of the switch frame is in conflict with the mounting bracket for the mini-PF. It is impossible to force the bracket forward enough to slip over the stud as intended. It's about a 1/4" off. What fix do you suggest? Cut off the "wall" of the switch frame? Cut off a portion of the wall? I don't have a Dremel tool, just a hacksaw, so modifying that wall would mean making a single cut the length of the frame, taking the entire wall off. I would then lose much of the stiffness of the piece, but perhaps not a fatal amount. I'm not keen to enlarge the mounting slot of the bracket. I mean, given the degree of misalignment, I would have to take away a huge amount of metal, and I don't want to do that. How about cutting on the green line in the third photo? That would give me a big notch basically in the frame to accept the bracket.
Ideas?

43B4BBEE-CABD-44AF-B19C-3BFB7F1880D1 (resized).jpeg43B4BBEE-CABD-44AF-B19C-3BFB7F1880D1 (resized).jpeg9A97A94F-2435-4745-86A2-D392F69089F9 (resized).jpeg9A97A94F-2435-4745-86A2-D392F69089F9 (resized).jpeg

Fitment.Issue.with.guidelines (resized).jpgFitment.Issue.with.guidelines (resized).jpg
#10943 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It looks like the hole in the low-profile switch is oblong. Meaning, you can loosen the locknut and push it forward, thereby letting the mounting frame metal get closer to the post.

Thanks, but (a) not enough adjustability and (b) the switch is jammed closed if I move the frame in relation to the star post.
Another issue I have is that the "wall" of the frame also conflicts with one of the threaded standoffs that support a plastic.

#10946 2 years ago

Five thousand hacksaw, file, and sandpaper strokes later, I have a backless, notched switch frame. Retained a rolled edge for rigidity. Looks presentable. Fits well.
Some assembly required!

6458B170-C8DC-4E11-89E9-370117EFEFD1 (resized).jpeg6458B170-C8DC-4E11-89E9-370117EFEFD1 (resized).jpegBA388748-7ECF-4F1C-87B6-C192A7FCBE11 (resized).jpegBA388748-7ECF-4F1C-87B6-C192A7FCBE11 (resized).jpeg
#10947 2 years ago

The result...

2C28D364-A06E-4253-A3B9-90F8C7AF48BD (resized).jpeg2C28D364-A06E-4253-A3B9-90F8C7AF48BD (resized).jpegF9EF2F34-EB34-47D1-8B7C-5F210A455E3A (resized).jpegF9EF2F34-EB34-47D1-8B7C-5F210A455E3A (resized).jpeg
#10948 2 years ago

Thanks, Awesome, for taking the time to respond with your ideas.
Much appreciated!
But you know, I like to put the work in to modify things carefully as necessary to get a proper fit. I hate to force things and I won't go near my PF with pliers.

#10968 2 years ago

My Slot Machine scoop from Mantis has a smart "wing" on its left side to support the oblong target from behind. That's very positive.
However, it also has sharp edges on its mouth. That's less positive. I worry about striking those edges with the ball, possibly nicking the ball, leading to playfield scratches.
My solution?
The "r'oblong" target! It's just wide enough to block that dangerous scoop edge.
Yeah, it's a little ugly, but the peace of mind it affords is worth it.

DC5D70E2-72EE-4601-B149-20BB95869FE3 (resized).jpegDC5D70E2-72EE-4601-B149-20BB95869FE3 (resized).jpeg
#10969 2 years ago
Quoted from HeavyMetalPoet:

...slightly touching the ground braid in the cabinet. Problem solved! Thanks to LTG, Manny65 and Coyote for your advice and knowledge. Learned a lot of testing procedures during this troubleshooting process!

That's awesome!
You solved your issue!
Good work!

#10971 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Nice work Jason!

Thanks, Art.
I'm doing this TZ justice. No hacks. No cut corners.
I hope you're feeling better.

#10972 2 years ago

Fix for unreliable auto-launch up shooter lane ramp, anyone?

I rebuilt the kicker that auto-plunges the ball up the shooter lane ramp to feed the Gumball Machine, etc., but the ball bricks/rattles through there too often. It won't make it to the top of the orbit where it's diverted to the subway and to the VUK for the Gumball Machine. It just trickles back down the right Spiral lane and drains, causing another ball to be served and auto-launched. The arm for that kicker is unobtanium, but I don't think mine is all that bad. The armature and pivot pin are nearly identical to those of the sling kickers and the V-Pad kicker. I changed the coil sleeve and the plunger/link only. It feels fine. The opto seems fine. It registers in test. I think it's a mechanical thing. The ball is somehow getting launched off kilter, but the alignment of the kicker looks okay. It's possible that the ball is careening right, then kissing the mini-post that separates the two lanes just above the one-way gate. Once it kisses that mini-post bumper, it's over. The ball hasn't a prayer of making it up/around. Do I dare remove that post rubber to give the ball 3mm of additional lane clearance? I've also checked the cradle/scoop at the end of the arm and it's intact and firmly attached.
Thanks.

#10973 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

You did such a good job modifying your mini playfield bracket - take that scoop back off and file and sand that edge until your're happy with it.

Hi, Awesome.
Hmm. File that edge, eh? Well, even if I filed it into a perfectly polished semi-circle, it's still an edge of stainless that stands in direct opposition to the path of the ball. It will eventually mushroom, develop a new edge, and scratch the ball. The only "fix" I see is more of a hack, and that would involve bending the leaves outward - a bit I s'pose like the Demigorgon's mouth! I don't like to modify games drastically like that. At that point it's no longer a Slot Machine scoop like everyone else's. Of course, my "r'oblong" target isn't stock, either, but it can easily be swapped out for the stock target when the game is sold. Until then, it allows me to think less about that gnarly scoop.

#11015 2 years ago

Fix For Lock-Shot Rejections, Anyone?

The lock on my game will reject clean shots from the lower left flipper. The cleaner the shot is, the higher the odds of a rejection. I had a chance to see the lock-up trough assembly when I shopped the game, so I understand how it works. My question is, what is the optimum angle of that entrance tang? Should it be a low as possible, allowing the ball to barely squeeze through there? I figure the more erect it is, the more it will reflect the ball back into the first half of the elbow and back onto the playfield, but if it's too low, can't the ball strike its edge and reflect back that way, too? I've never owned TZ before and I thought the lock shot looked cool, but given how tight/long the shot is, rejections are *very* frustrating. Ideas/advice?

Thanks.

#11017 2 years ago

Thanks, Manny!
Hmm. A fix involving a magnet or a fix involving raising the entry end of the trough with spacers. Magnet fix is obviously easier but I find it hard to imagine that would work reliably given how fast the ball is moving when it comes through that elbow. Guess I'm going to have to pull the clock and right ramp to get at the trough and pull it, too, to install some spacers. What makes me nervous about pulling ramps is that I don't like to screw the ramp-flap screws in and out repeatedly. I worry those fragile threads will strip and with ramp flaps there is no stepping to a larger size screw allowed.

#11021 2 years ago

Safe/Advisable Coil Substitution:

Hi.

My Slot Machine coil/plunger lobs the ball all the way to down to about the foot of the right sling. Not helpful! I have a replacement Mantis scoop. I can't really adjust the trajectory of the toss. I spoke to Mr. Mantis and he had no suggestions. So, it's down to the coil strength and/or plunger length.
The stock coil is an AL-23-800. Its specs are 4.2 Ohm, 23-800.
I happen to have a Stern 090-5044-ND coil in my kit left over from another project. Its specs are 10.3 Ohm, 26-1200.
Both coils are no-diode and have the same external dimensions. One is has more windings but with a lighter-gauge wire. One has much lower resistance.
My hope is to scrub about half the power of the kicker if I can.
Can I safely substitute the Stern coil? I assume it's higher resistance will mean less power, but I could be overlooking the gauge/winding factor.
Thanks for reading my post.

** Update **

I put the Stern coil in. Anemic kickout but still better than the rainbow "J" that was sure to abuse the playfield.

#11023 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. If the Stern coil has a diode on it remove it.
23 or 26 is the wire gauge. 800 or 1200 is the number of turns. Less turns stronger coil, more turns weaker coil.

Thanks for the info, LTG.

#11024 2 years ago

"CLOCK IS BROKEN"

My test report on startup reads, clock is broken, despite the fact that the clock appears to work fine and tests fine.
Moreover, occasionally the credit dot will disappear after a game or two, but then reappear when the game is rebooted.
I have a new'ish Casper clock board.
Has anyone else experienced this?
If so, what was your solution?
Buy another clock board?
Buy another DC Motor Control Assembly board?
Thanks.

#11029 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Go into Clock Test, run the test for a while and see if it misses an optos.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been in there, testing, many times. Backwards, forwards. Backwards, forwards. No missed optos.

#11030 2 years ago

Trough Woes:

All my trough switches test fine and my eject armature/coil seem fine. Despite that, I still get the occasional "follower." By that I mean a ball will be served to the shooter lane at the wrong time, sometimes seconds after a ball has been plunged. LTG suggested my kicker arm was snagging/actuating the last switch in the trough. It's true that this switch lies perhaps 1mm away from the kicker arm, but there is no snagging going on when I move the arm back and forth. LTG has bent the arm on his own game to "tame" the strength of the kickout. My kickout, as vigorous as it is, is fine to me and I would rather not bend this arm. In this photo I have backlit the trough so you can see the proximity of the arm to switch. Is this normal clearance for these two parts?
Thanks.

5EA41512-5380-43CA-B8A1-27CF6ACF9C35 (resized).jpeg5EA41512-5380-43CA-B8A1-27CF6ACF9C35 (resized).jpeg

#11033 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

You have to be quick.
Go to switch test, not clock test.
Look at row 4.
Is 34 closed when it should be open?
Is sw 24 open when it should be closed? Is sw 24 flashing?

Interesting.
I guess I hadn't thought about the fact that the four optos in the clock board should have their own places on the matrix. Of course, I can't really close the opto in Switch Edges test as the opto is hidden inside the clock!
Still, I will check those switch numbers as you suggest and report back.
Thanks!

#11034 2 years ago

Peek-a-boo! I see you!

I'm discovering that TZ is a very scoop- and subway-heavy layout. The ball spends a lot of time in scoops or in subways. It seems like the ball is emerging from the Slot Machine every ten seconds or so, since so many scoops lead, via subway, back to that kicker. I s'pose that's why people criticize it as a "stop-and-go" layout. I don't like the time I spend waiting for the ball to reappear. Pat Lawlor I'm sure thought all that disappear/reappear action was whimsical and fun. I'm not sure I agree. I like the ball on the playfield or on a ramp. I guess I'm an impatient player.

#11036 2 years ago

IMDN = TZ 2.0

I owned an IMDN two years ago. At that time I'd never owned a B/W game. I had no idea what could have been the inspiration behind the layout of IMDN. Now I do.
I thought IMDN's layout was fresh/innovative, the creation of the uber-talented Keith Elwin. Nah! IMDN is TZ with improvements.
I mean, it's easy to imagine Elwin, when he was fishing for inspiration before embarking on his first white wood, asking himself: What is the most memorable layout in pinball? And for him the answer was TZ. And his next question was: Okay, how do I *improve* on TZ? Well, his answer to that was to put a ramp entrance at the back of the pops rather than a lane to a scoop. Another was to put a ramp entrance in place of the Slot Machine scoop. Another was to make the Piano shot into a loop that returned to the upper-left flipper. Another was to make the Camera shot into a loop that returned the ball to the upper-right flipper. Another was to replace the Gumball Machine with a Sarcophagus mech that provided the same ball-locking theater. The right orbit on IMDN that feeds the upper-left flipper is just like the right Spiral orbit on TZ. Elwin doesn't like scoops. I s'pose, as much as he could, he was trying to reclaim some flow for his layout by minimizing subway- and scoop time. Ironically, Elwin did include a single scoop on IMDN Premium/LE, but certainly not subways. In AIQ, he used a long'ish, clunky subway to ferry balls to the lower-right flipper lane. A surprise for Elwin, I thought.
I'm not criticizing Elwin or IMDN. I'm just remarking on how clear - to me at least - it is that TZ is the antecedent of IMDN. I often wonder how obvious this is to Lawlor. Has he even tried IMDN? If he has, I bet he was some flattered!

#11037 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Since it is "occasional", you would need to test it during that ONE TIME that it's not okay, to see what's up. Could be that one of the switch arms is preventing a ball from rolling down completely, or one of the arms is getting caught.
You can pull the arm away some - but I'd loosen the screws some and rotate the whole assy a millimeter or so, then retighten screws.
To really test the trough, put it in Gumball Test, "Continuous Test" and watch the screen. Let it cycle for a while, and learn the pattern and what to expect and when something sticks out.

They do. They're Row 9. Not visible in the three standard Switch Tests, but visible in the Clock Test.

Thanks, Coyote.
I did in fact loosen, pivot, re-tighten the armature assembly, but there was too little travel to make a difference. I will remove the switch arm (two screws) and attempt to bend the arm just a little to afford the kicker arm some more room.
I will also try the Gumball Test and let it cycle, although I'm not sure what abnormalities I'm looking for.

#11038 2 years ago

Magnet-safe Pinballs: Are They Necessary in TZ?

I have just got my TZ online enough to begin playing it a little. I have "Super Shiny" balls from Titan right now. They are chromium steel, not carbon, and are thus not technically magnet-safe. I have been having the occasional trough misfire. Could I have magnetized balls after a few dozen plays?
Do you seasoned TZ owners insist on carbon-steel pinballs? If so, what is a good source for truly shiny carbon-steel balls?

Thanks.

#11039 2 years ago

Replacement Magnet Coils for Mini-PF: Do They Invigorate the Magna-Flip Action?

My mini-PF's magna-flip action is a bit weak. I was thinking about replacing the magnet coils. The manual lists A-16749 as the appropriate part number, but Marco's has no such thing, nor has Pinball Life or Planetary.
Marco does have this though:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-10197
Is it a safe substitute?

magnet.coil (resized).jpgmagnet.coil (resized).jpg
#11043 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-10197 doesn't list them as compatible with TZ (there a compatibility tab below the pictures), so I would guess these wouldn't be suitable

Drat.
How am I going to invigorate my Magna-flipping? It's rare that I defeat the Power!

#11052 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

I wait until the ball hits the lower rubber bank(s) and then activate the coils. This way it throws the ball up towards the top. I usually (most of the time) defeat the power, but not always! Ha ha ha ha

Thanks, Mike. I gave this a try. Can't say it was a breakthrough for me, but it has taught me that I was flipping too often. I need to pick my moments if I'm going to have any hope of beating the Power.
I'm still convinced that the vigor of the Magna-Flip varies from machine to machine.

#11053 2 years ago

Pinsound + Motion Control Shaker, Anyone?

Just curious if any of you Pinsound users also have a Pinsound shaker installed. It sounds cool - programming the shaker yourself, choosing the cues and the style of response. I know that Stern programs shaker cues into their gamecodes. There are probably *many* lines of code devoted to them. I wasn't thinking I would buy a Pinsound board, but that customizable shaker does sound fun.

https://www.pinsound.org/motion-control-shaker

#11054 2 years ago

Pinnovators PINPAC1, Anyone?

Just curious if any of you club members have a headphone jack from Pinnovators on your TZ. If so, what do you think? I don't plan to upgrade my speakers but I want to enjoy some good audio on headphones.

#11055 2 years ago

Powered Subs on TZ: Enough Rumble?

Just wondering if TZ owners with powered subwoofers are getting so much rumble that they don't even need a shaker. And how are you connecting your subs? Through a Pinsound board? Through a Pinnovators headphone jack? There is no sub-out on the stock audio board, I'm assuming.

#11058 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

I just added Pinsound and a shaker to my William's Indiana Jones and updated the sound to one of their files. What a difference it is. Love it and really like how this makes the game even more fun to play.

Wow. That sound sounds dope! Please tell us how you're programming your shaker. Are you choosing your own cues, or does Pinside give you a basic set to get started and you can customize from there?

#11059 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I have the Pinsound Plus with my own modded sound package using mostly original and some from the Chris Granner sound package,
<snip>

Where did you get the Granner remix and what does it include? Just how different is it from the stock ROM? How were you able to customize his ROM to make your own? What kind of special hardware is needed to burn ROM's?

#11060 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I have the Pinsound Plus<snip>

Please tell us how the Pinsound board transforms the sounds of TZ. Does it truly alter them, replace them, or just clean them up and make them stereo?

#11073 2 years ago

Slot Machine Scoop Woes:

My Mantis Slot Machine scoop lobs the ball clear down to the foot the right sling. It's exciting and all, but it's hard on my poor playfield. For whatever reason, the radius of the scoop is compound. Specifically, it's about ten inches or so right up to about two inches from the end of the tongue, at which point it has no radius at all, allowing the ball to launch at about 30-degrees. This is a problem. That launch angle means the ball sails, like a rainbow jump shot, all the way down to the foot of the slings. I have the stock coil in there (AE-24-900) and the stock plunger, and I have the coil bracket aligned such that the plunger is as co-linear as possible with the ball's resting place in the back of the scoop.

I spoke to Kerry at Mantis - who is very nice and responded quickly - about this and he assured me it was the result of some variable that *I* was responsible for - coil power, bracket misalignment, plunger length, deflection, etc. - and not his scoop, as I was perhaps only the third buyer of his scoops ever to even bring this up. I can understand how common it might be that people buy his parts and install them clumsily, then complain about how they don't work right. Well, while I'm not an ace, I do know how to install a scoop with care and line up the associated assemblies to ensure it works as designed - and that's exactly what I've done here. Nothing more and nothing less, so to be told its poor operation is on me (and not on its design) is frustrating for sure.

I would put the stock scoop back in the game but it was removed for failed seam welds and is out of commission. Should I buy a replacement stock scoop?

The only "solution" I can envision is to (somehow) mount the scoop on a sloping base, changing its orientation in relation to the playfield by at least 10-degrees. This would allow the ball to launch at an angle of 20-degrees rather than 30. Still, this fix would also require a custom base for the bracket which holds the coil! So, a complicated fix involving considerable geometrical precision and thus very unlikely to be undertaken.
In case you'd like to glace at the Mantis scoop:

https://mantispinball.com/product/twilight-zone-slot-machine-scoop/

Frustratingly, I've had a few Stern games with ejecting scoops and in each case the ball did *not* launch like a rainbow jump shot!

Ideas?
tz.slot.scoop (resized).jpgtz.slot.scoop (resized).jpg

#11084 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

When i got my game the scoop always seemed sluggish.
It had a shooter rod tip down there.
Try that

Oh, my gosh. Interesting! A shooter rod tip on your Slot Machine plunger? Wild! That would launch it clear down to the apron!

#11085 2 years ago

Noisy/buzzing Coils: Normal?

Each time I load a ball into the Gumball Machine the machine makes quite a racket. And it's not the upkicker launching the ball into the Gumball Machine, either. It's a noisy buzzing that precedes the actual kicker. The only other mechanism in play at that point is the diverter, but how could the diverter be that buzzy? I have two diverters, and their mechs are identical - one in the orbit and one on the left ramp. I *don't* hear the buzzing when the ball is diverted on the left ramp into the auto-plunger lane, so why is the orbit's diverter so buzzy? I also hear this same buzzing when the bridge diverter retracts to allow the ball to reach the Powefield.
What am I missing?

Is this normal or do I have an issue?

Thanks.

#11087 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I have exactly this sound too, it's a pretty noticeable buzzing sound. I've always thought it was the motor spinning inside the gumball to "make room" for the coming ball but I've never cared enough to actually investigate properly as everything works as it should afaik. We should most probably not care about it at all

Tack, Lhurgoyf.
The Gumball Machine grinding balls through, while annoying, isn't the buzzing sound I'm talking about.
I don't foresee any solution to the buzzing coils. I tend to play my games on low volume. Most of you probably don't, so your experience isn't as affected by the sounds of the game's electronics/mechanics.

#11088 2 years ago

Deadly Slings, Pops, and Outlanes!

My TZ is hard. It's hard enough to discourage me. I have it set up at 6.5-degrees, according to the built-in spirit level/manual. In my shopping of the game, I rebuilt the sling kickers - new arms, pivot brackets, plungers, coil sleeves, springs. The original slings were sloppy and the plungers couldn't move easily in the coils.

I also rebuilt the pops - new skirts, rings, coil sleeves, springs. My pops have the bumper that blocks the ball's passage to the left outlane, forcing the ball to exit toward the flippers, but this is scarcely helpful as the ball frequently emerges from the pops with the perfect toss to send it SDTM.

Now I have so much action in the lower half of the playfield that the odds that I will regain control of a ball if it touches a sling or slips into the pops are about 50%, thanks in large part to the diabolical design of the inlane/outlanes. On the left you're sure you have good odds that the ball will avoid the outlane, but with surprising frequency that's exactly where it goes whenever the ball happens to make over into that area. (I suspect this is attributable to the "stair" effect, a leftward descent to the outlane from the top of the sling to the tops of inlanes #1 and #2.) The right side is no better; somehow the ball bounces to the outlane *most* of the time if it ends up in that area, too. And yes, I do try to nudge to help matters, but I lose many more balls than I save.

I don't advance in the code because I can't stay up. Even set to ten balls, I haven't seen Lost in the Zone.

#11092 2 years ago

Switch Row Out: What Happened and How to Repair?

My left-middle Greed target was cockeyed so I pulled it, straightened it, then put it back.
When I booted the game I got a long list of "check switch" this and "check switch" that.
They seem to all reside on row #7 in the switch matrix.
I reached out to LTG right away and he thought I might have taken out an LM339.
Coincidentally, I have two fresh chips of this type on my non-working Fliptronics board.
I would like to transfer one/both to the CPU to see if this will recover my switches.
I don't want to fry one chip after another though. How do I know my short (if that's what I have) is sorted before I go installing more LM339's in my CPU?
First photo shows the donor chips from the Fliptronics board. The second, my Rottendog CPU.
The third/fourth show the target's wiring in detail. (Is that white wire shorting on the target's support bracket? If so, how? That bracket touches nothing but wood. Or, wait: is that diode shorting on the bracket? I tightened those screws to compress the target stack. Perhaps that brought the diode's wire in contact with the bracket.)

** Update **
A closer look reveals no shorting at the switch. 'twas just an optical illusion.

01C0BD71-ACB4-440E-8D4C-C8E1AE5CCDA2 (resized).jpeg01C0BD71-ACB4-440E-8D4C-C8E1AE5CCDA2 (resized).jpegF4B3C184-6077-4D85-BCEB-1FDF623311BF (resized).jpegF4B3C184-6077-4D85-BCEB-1FDF623311BF (resized).jpeg
2B3BE8E6-967E-498F-AD1D-7A1D9C37FA61 (resized).jpeg2B3BE8E6-967E-498F-AD1D-7A1D9C37FA61 (resized).jpeg650DE2E4-1196-4093-AAD7-44C905C459E7 (resized).jpeg650DE2E4-1196-4093-AAD7-44C905C459E7 (resized).jpeg

#11098 2 years ago

Switch Row 7 Out, Cont'd:

It seems I've stumped the group. Can I twist any arms?

I should clarify that the Test Report shows switches #37(left inlane), #47(Clock Millions), and #57(Proximity Sensor) all down, plus one - the left ramp - that isn't even on row 7. The last thing it reports is "Ground Short Row 7 - White-Violet R7."

So, I have been poking around under the PF looking for a short involving any of these switches but I see nothing suspicious. I'm looking at all switches with a white-violet wire. Tracing white-violet back to the CPU reveals nothing suspicious, either.

Again, I did no soldering when I adjusted the middle-left Greed target, the adjustment that set all this in motion. The game was off. I took out the target. I straightened it. I tightened its stack screws. I put it back in. I then booted the game and - Poof! - big problems. The target in question is the "enhanced" version from The Pinball Resource, which means it has a baton or stay for a spine to help support the target. It worked fine for weeks before I dared to straighten it.

J208-8 on the CPU handles switch row 7. As a test, I unplugged that connector and booted the game, thinking that if the short were under the PF somewhere it wouldn't be reported with the connector unplugged. Well, that wasn't very useful as the game just reported a lot of other issues instead when I booted up - fuses, 12V opto stuff, etc.

Does it make sense to desolder the left-middle Greed target and boot the game? Could it be the source of the short even though it appears fine?

#11106 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

...go into Switch Test mode, and see if row 7 is still shorted to ground.
Likely it will not be, but it's a good test.

6275D8AD-D4A0-43B9-8FD2-96C9E00CF10F (resized).jpeg6275D8AD-D4A0-43B9-8FD2-96C9E00CF10F (resized).jpeg

64242C62-3EDF-477E-B65C-84DC6EAB2F2C (resized).jpeg64242C62-3EDF-477E-B65C-84DC6EAB2F2C (resized).jpeg
#11109 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Well, I meant when J208 was disconnected. That will filter out all input from the PF. If it's still shorted then, it's on your MPU and not on the PF. (i.e. While you were fudging around, something shorted to a switch column and shorted one of the swith matrix chips on the MPU.)

CB2FADF5-9E56-42E3-8FA1-6CD36F9CB5BD (resized).jpegCB2FADF5-9E56-42E3-8FA1-6CD36F9CB5BD (resized).jpeg
Above photo taken after disconnecting J208.
I guess my MPU is *not* damaged and I shouldn't bother to replace the LM339's.
Do I have that right?
The question now is, how do I find the short when all the wiring looks fine?
Do I start by swapping the enhanced target for the raggedy stock target?

#11114 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I would pull it loose (keep it wired up with game powered on) and move it around to see if the problem goes away. That may help narrow it down.

Done, then rebooted. Still shorted
Then I desoldered the target and replaced it with the original target.
Ground short, row 7, still there.
I've scrutinized the wiring at all the switches on row 7 and I'm not seeing anything suspicious.

Is there a chance that the MPU is damaged after all and I *do* need to change LM339's? Could a damaged MPU falsely read a ground short on a switch row?

Is it safe to install an alternate MPU just to see if the short disappears, or could I damage the stand-in?

1 week later
#11145 2 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

is the consensus that the LCD is the way to go over the LED version.Also is there any value in the old DMD.Looking to swap out TZ and MET and the LED is 50-70 dollars cheaper.

I was interested in the LED display at first, as it was even brighter/vibrant than the LCD, but what eventually sold me on LCD is the lack of true black on the LED. It's kind of a charcoal grey, and that hurts the contrast and doesn't help the colors pop like true black does. I have the LCD ColorDMD in and set to DotsXL and it looks sharp - thanks largely to those true blacks! Some of the colorized animations are more impressive than others, and no one wants to shell out $450 for a display, but the upgrade is dramatic and I have no regrets.
If the old display is miraculously good - most are not after thirty years - I s'pose it would fetch $100-150.

#11146 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Home made Robby mod
Home made Camera mod

Let's see a photo or two of these, please.

#11147 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

They definitely aren't as snappy as new Sterns, but if they are rebuilt, they should have decent power to make all of the ramps with authority.

My lower TZ flippers are as powerful as any Stern flippers I've tried, but they don't snap quite the same way and I attribute that to the slightly different plungers and bushings between the two systems. I was worried that the flipper optos would muck up the timing of the flip, but they seem as instantaneous as leaf-switch flipping. There is a tad more slop in the Bally flipper - perhaps due to tolerances in the bushing - and the crank is heavier, creating a tad more inertia for the coil pulse to overcome, etc. If I had to rank flippers...
4.CGC
3. JJP
2. B/W
1. Stern

#11148 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

TZ Multiball 4 Jackpots
Took a little work to get the third jackpot and then quickly the fourth... and then it was over.

Wow.
Great job!
Wish I could hang in there like that for two solid minutes!
Which gamecode are you running? I've never seen some of those animations.

#11149 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

An Arduino chip - I chose a nano and actually a 3rd party version, cost around €5 - if you are a beginner i recommend buying the real deal. its under $20
Then the LED panel, a power supply and some cables - you need t power the power supply and then just 3 cables from the Arduino to the LED panel - if you have repaired a pinball machine, this is easy.
A 5v power block - 256 LED's - I am not prepared to risk that with a 20 year old Williams 5v power supply
For the Arduino you need to program it from a computer. This required the Arduino software program and the PowerLED package - there are hundreds of how-to and you tube videos on how to do this - better than my explaining it to you..
If you want the exact light effect I have - PM me and I will send the mini file for you to program into the Arduino.
A small note - absolutely nothing happens until you have panel connected and the arduino programmed - if you run power to the panel - do not be discouraged and think it is dead when nothing happens - it only comes alive when the Arduino tells it to do something...
if you want to have a go - Pm me and I am happy to support - or post here and we we go through it together
Arduino chip - I chose a Nano - amazon.com link »
LED panel - I got it from Amazon, here a link to the 1st one in Amazon.com:
amazon.com link »
5v Power supply:
amazon.com link »

Impressive!
You get high marks for tackling the Arduino!
Your translite is a light show of it's own now.

#11157 2 years ago

Casper's Clock Board Woes: Optos Won't Consistently Register in Test

I have just installed my second Casper's Electronics clock board. My first one seemed fine, but the game wouldn't boot without the error message "Clock is Broken," so I took a chance and bought another one. Nope.
Same problem.

In Clock Test, the clock hands move forward or reverse, fast or slow, and as they pass 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 they open (close?) the optos. Not so on my board. The optos will register now and then, but infrequently enough that the MPU apparently concludes that the clock is broken.

I've read that others have had this issue and they suspected the hands weren't passing through the optos quite right - too high perhaps. One fix was to add washers to the clock stack to somehow change the relationship between the hands the optos. I don't see how this is possible as the stack of clock parts is rather precise and not really open to restacking.

I've owned my game for about three months, and, despite working on it diligently in that time, it has never not had a credit dot - thanks mostly to the "Clock is Broken." Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

If the Casper's board is a bust, is there a chance this board from Europe would work better?

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/twilight-zone-clock-board.html

Thanks!

Ministry.Clock.Board (resized).jpgMinistry.Clock.Board (resized).jpg
#11158 2 years ago

One Less Bumper:

I just removed the interesting, early-game pop-bumper bumper from the PF of my TZ.
When I bought the game, I was pleased to discover the presence of this bumper, as I'd read that it was Pat's desire to have it there, and I wanted to experience the game as he intended. Of course, as most of you know, this bumper was pulled from the production games fairly quickly after people complained about it.
I'm not sure what they were complaining about, exactly. I mean, the bumper forces the ball to exit the pops into the mid-PF, and sure there's a possibility of a SDTM drain, but without the bumper, the ball is free to exit the pops downward, toward the left outlane, where the possibility of a drain is just as real.
In any case, I took this bumper out just to experience the game without it. I figured the pops might be even livelier without it. I installed a carefully shaped piece of mylar to protect that swath of the Town Square that sits just to the left of the lower pop, etc. I don't have plugs for the bumpers holes yet. I will find some generic nylon ones eventually. For now, my mylar is covering the holes and I'm looking forward to more pops action!

C751EEE3-F095-4A95-86D3-AB885776853C (resized).jpegC751EEE3-F095-4A95-86D3-AB885776853C (resized).jpeg

1B3CF9B6-F46C-4153-9325-5D76C4C9B910 (resized).jpeg1B3CF9B6-F46C-4153-9325-5D76C4C9B910 (resized).jpeg
#11160 2 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

My original clock was acting up off and on. So I also bought the Casper clock board. It would not work for me either. For whatever reason the hands did not trip the optos. So I just cleaned up my old board and put it back in. And it now works fine.

Oh, no! That's discouraging! Now I have $240 tied up in boards that may never work! Oof!
Time to post a Wanted ad in the Classifieds for a used/original clock board!

#11162 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

See post 9877.
Then look in that vicinity for yzfguy remedy for casper clock.

Thanks.
According to the yzfguy post below, my clock hands aren't interrupting my optos in the resting position because my gears are worn, but why then do the optos open unreliably in test? In test, the hands sweep through the optos, so the gear slop isn't a factor. And yet my optos fail in test.

"Lol, not really a mod per say. When I replaced my clock boards, a few pages back, I also replaced the clock face and had a bitch of a time getting the optos to register properly. After extending the interruptor on the hands and having it fail, I ended up figuring out that the gears had play in them and when the playfield was in normal position, they weren't holding the clock hands back far enough to interrupt the opto sensors. So if you held them back in place, the interruptor was in the right place to work. Ended up cutting off the top of a pointed clear mini post and crazy gluing it dead center on the clear clock face so it holds the hands back a tiny bit as they rest against it. It has worked perfectly for several months now. It's clear and exactly centered, so it's not noticeable. There is a pic a few pages back."

#11163 2 years ago

Shooter Diverter Assembly Woes: Anemic, But Can't Service/Rebuild

The cute little shooter lane diverter flaps around slackly and sometimes fails to get out of the way when a ball is auto-fired up the shooter lane. I've checked the assembly carefully and it has no obviously loose/worn/failing parts. It appears to use a magnetic pulse to move a plate which in turn turns the shaft, etc. The two set screws that hold the shaft are tight and the shaft is oriented properly in relation to the playfield.
If I lay my fingers gently on the "paddle" in test and let it pulse, it can barely push my fingers aside.
Can this mech be rebuilt or must it be replaced? Ordinarily I do *not* suspect a bad coil when something feels anemic, but perhaps this mech and this coil are different and I should start by replacing this odd little coil.
Ideas?
26454772-F4D9-4B2B-89A1-CDDCDBDBCA9D (resized).jpeg26454772-F4D9-4B2B-89A1-CDDCDBDBCA9D (resized).jpeg

#11166 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You can also test the 'slop' by, while in Clock Test mode, GENTLY holding your finger against the front of the minute hand, thereby removing that 'slop'.

I will try this.

Strangely, my credit dot will sometimes disappear mid-game. Like, the game will end, and the credit dot that was there when the game began is then gone. I guess the clock board's optos are closed often enough by the minute hand in the course of the game that the CPU changes it's mind.

#11167 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Once the minute shaft - and therefore, the minute hand with that interrupter - moves far enough forward, when the motor is spinning the minute hand, it is more than possible that the interrupter - despite ppassing through the opto - is not blocking enough of the opto's beam to close the switch signal, so therefore the game "dosen't see" the minute hand pass through that opto.

Got it. Thanks.
This is troubling. I don't know how to rebuild the guts of the clock to beat the slop. Perhaps no one does. I may try yzfguy's fix, or I may just buy the Pindora board from Ministry of Pinball and wait four weeks for it ship. Perhaps its optos are mounted higher and can work with even drooping minute hands. I could try to modify the minute hand's interrupter nubbin. Maybe dip it in epoxy, then shape it into a longer finger. I don't know. Just another thing to fix on this delicate machine.

#11168 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I took a small piece of black electrical tape and stuck it on the interrupter of the minute hand to extend the interrupter 1/4 of an inch or so and pressed the electrical tape together to flatten it a bit.
That was over 13 years ago and I have not had a problem with the clock since then and it functions perfectly. Below is the link to my original posting for this issue on the RGP newsgroup.
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/OEPlD-yjm3w/m/--tvt02gZ1oJ
Gord

Gosh. Electrical tape? Applied thirteen years ago? Still holding/working? Wild! Thanks for the suggestion.

#11169 2 years ago

Proximity Sensor Woes: Balls Heaped Into Shooter Lane

I reached LITZ on ten balls. Afterward, the game loaded two balls into the shooter lane. After I plunged them out, it loaded another before the plunged balls even drained. At some point it just heaped balls into the shooter lane, three deep. I immediately turned off the game, removed the glass, dealt with the balls, then booted the game to see the Test Report. It complained about "Trough Proximity Switch." I realize this is a special opto that sits millimeters from the right end of the trough. It has its own board nearby, the proximity sensor. I went into Switch-Edges and noticed that the trough proximity switch was closed, so I thought I would "open" it by parking a ball in the right end of the trough. This changed nothing. It remained closed. Does it only open if the Powerball is detected?
What happens when this sensor fails? Will the game heap balls into the shooter as mine has?
For the record, I don't have an conflicting switches in my trough. All switch arms can move freely/independently, as can the ball-release kicker.
How do I "reset" the trough proximity switch? I can't actuate it manually like a leaf switch or a micro switch, and I can't open it like an opto by breaking its beam with my finger.

#11173 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

So if the switch fails the game could for example think that every ball is the powerball, but the proximity switch has nothing to do with the number of balls being ejected into the shooter lane (please refer to Awesome1's post on why that was happening and the possible cause)

Thanks for the explanations.
It appears that my Trough Proximity switch isn't working, since the game no longer announces the Powerball when it's released into the shooter lane. The Powerball is only recognized by the Slot Proximity switch in the subway. Only after a plunged Powerball finds its way into the subway and past the Slot Proximity switch will the game announce it as a Powerball. The confusing part is that you said the game will announce every ball released into the shooter lane as a Powerball if the sensor has failed, and yet my game does the opposite.
My Trough Proximity switch appears fine, but apparently it's not. Should it be closed or open in test? Mine is closed. How do I know if I need the sensor or the board? Marco sells the sensor but not the board.
Looking online for a replacement sensor or driver is turning up nothing. Action Pinball in Utah has instructions for a DIY repair/modification and it looks challenging.
http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/tz_prox.php
My Test Report is telling me to check the Trough Proximity switch. Okay, fine, but how?
Thanks.

#11175 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Once LITZ is complete, the game needs to reload the balls in the gumball machine before it lets you play your ball. It should eject a ball into the auto launch area which then launches into the gumball machine. After the gumball is full, a ball will eject into the manual shooter lane.
If the balls ejected into the Manual shooter lane, make sure your diverter gate is working properly for auto or manual launch.
If the balls were in the auto launch lane and not auto launched, make sure that switch is detecting a ball there and auto launch is working.

Thanks, Awesome1, for your help. I think my problem was/is my diverter. After LITZ it should have swung over to guide the balls into the auto-launch pocket (to feed the Gumball Machine) but it did not and the balls instead piled up in the shooter lane. I don't know how to service my Shooter Lane Diverter assembly.

#11176 2 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Mine would stick in the on position. I went to Ebay and bought new sensor and adjustable board from a fellow in AU. My game works fine now worth it.
Like RS and STNG you can adjust it.

Thanks, Tony, for the suggestion. I do see one eBay seller in AU offering a Slot Proximity switch/board, but nothing for the trough.
I still don't know how to check my Trough Proximity switch.

#11179 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Your game doesn't know what the f*** a power ball is. The sensors only detect steel balls. So if a non steel ball goes by, but micro mini switches before and after it are hit but no steel ball is detected, then the game thinks POWERBALL.
Go into Tests - Switch Edge - roll a steel ball by the inductor and see if it works. It most likely is, or you'd have POWERBALL for every ball, steel or not.

I understand that the proximity switches don't detect the ceramic Powerball; they detect the absence of a steel ball in spite of the tripped micro switch nearby. Thanks though for explaining it again.
My Trough Proximity switch was closed when it should have been open. I don't know how it got "stuck" closed, but it apparently was as the game thought *every* ball released was steel, including Powerballs! I needed to "flex" the switch, to open/close it, to eliminate it from the Test Report's list of switches to check. The first thing I did was to reposition the sensor's bracket, aiming the sensor at the resting ball slightly differently. This apparently helped. Then I did as you suggested by going into single switch test, locating #26, noting its resting position (open), and then parking a steel ball in the trough by the release kicker. Doing that closed the switch, thereby flexing the switch enough to persuade the MPU that it was working properly. Now the game has no credit dot. (Fear not though; it will get the credit dot back as soon as the clock's minute hand fails to interrupt an opto on the clock board!)

#11181 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

No, I said an example of how a failed proximity switch could behaviour - this is if the switch is in the open state.

My apologies.

Quoted from Manny65:

Either way you have an issue with your proximity switch.

So it seems. It's been a couple of days since the Trough Proximity sensor "detected" the Powerball. Only the Slot Proximity sensor can do that for the time being. This mucks up gameplay for sure.
The game struggles with ball location/recognition in various ways, and it gets completely flummoxed after LITZ.
I have reached LITZ a few times now by setting the game to ten balls, and each time I do the game ends up all confused ball-wise. After the timed mode ends and the balls drain, it loads one ball into the Gumball Machine, then it releases one into the shooter lane, then it goes into ball search, then it expels the ball in the Slot scoop, then it releases a second ball on top of the earlier one in the plunge lane. It's a mess. During all of this, the screen says Player One, You're Up, but the game is silent and the flippers aren't live. It never rights itself so that a new ball can be plunged and the game can go on. Is all of this attributable to the wonky Trough Proximity sensor? Buying one from the AU seller will probably cost $130US with shipping and take weeks to arrive. Thanks though for the link.

#11192 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

They're not opening unreliably in test because your MINUTE hand isn't interrupting the minute optos properly.

You're correct!
I modified the nubbin on the back of the minute hand to lengthen it and now it interrupts the optos enough to satisfy the clock. No more credit dot! Whew!
Thanks for the suggestion!

#11193 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

No. I'd say you potentially have another switch issue somewhere.

Great.

Quoted from Manny65:

After correctly loading the first ball into the gumball machine, which shooter lane does the next ball go into - the auto-plunger (left) or the manual plunger (right)?

The game tries valiantly to load at least two balls into the Gumball Machine via the auto-plunger. The flaky diverter poses a problem here because the paddle can't get out of the way before the ball is auto-plunged (see earlier post). This means the ball is interrupted mid-plunge and therefore fails to reach the Gumball Machine and instead trickles sadly down the right Spiral to the drain. It struggles with this for a few balls and then gives up and does a ball search. Sometimes the shooter lane diverter will move to divert a ball into the auto-plunge lane but the ball when released will vault over the diverter into the manual shooter lane. This causes confusion as the game is waiting for the ball to trip the opto in the auto-plunge lane but it of course isn't there!
If I leave the ball in the manual shooter lane, the game remains confused and never resumes play.

#11194 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Shooter Diverter Assembly Woes: Anemic, But Can't Service/Rebuild

I realize it's tacky to quote your own post, but my game is still on the fritz with its anemic shooter lane diverter. Does no one have any ideas? Has no one dealt with this problem?
I think most would agree that coils typically don't fail, so replacing the one involved would not be my first choice. Is that a mistake? What else can be done to address this diverter? The shaft is straight/smooth. The bushings are fine. The wiring is fine. The coil appears fine. But put your hand on the paddle in test when it fires and you can barely feel a thing. It's sick/ailing/anemic. How do I revive it?

#11197 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd take a meter set to ohms. And check each wire from the coil to the driver board. See if one side is drawing ohms. That would point to weak connector or solder joint along the way.

Green jumper to solenoid 16 (shooter diverter)
Yellow jumper to 9-position of connector J-127 on PDB.
Meter set to Ohms "200" (lowest).
I'm assuming 0.5 Ohms is negligible resistance.
Ohms between coil lugs is 100'ish, or about fifty less than that of each of the flipper coils.
4114BDD9-0871-43D1-8D27-B8A1C2B39CCE (resized).jpeg4114BDD9-0871-43D1-8D27-B8A1C2B39CCE (resized).jpeg

2816DC41-CA0B-4347-9EB2-11E904D956EA (resized).jpeg2816DC41-CA0B-4347-9EB2-11E904D956EA (resized).jpeg

D286265D-82B3-4827-9166-6140AE27E14B (resized).jpegD286265D-82B3-4827-9166-6140AE27E14B (resized).jpeg
#11199 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

How far above the coil is this metal plate ?
[quoted image]

Open/closed

4B823A7E-025E-4A6F-A34B-1BEB862AA59C (resized).jpeg4B823A7E-025E-4A6F-A34B-1BEB862AA59C (resized).jpeg99210A96-92C1-4356-A900-624C9612B217 (resized).jpeg99210A96-92C1-4356-A900-624C9612B217 (resized).jpeg
#11201 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please post a picture of the top.
That metal plate isn't setting on the coil right.

5D62ECAE-7135-42B0-B292-D4D287A3A7D0 (resized).jpeg5D62ECAE-7135-42B0-B292-D4D287A3A7D0 (resized).jpegFB490705-FD20-488C-BA11-A72C54710F38 (resized).jpegFB490705-FD20-488C-BA11-A72C54710F38 (resized).jpeg
#11203 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Nothing looking bent or out of place.

Thanks for looking.

#11205 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

is the coil screwed down tightly?

Yes.

Quoted from Manny65:

Also the coil doesn't look like it's sitting square as if it is slightly loose.

That's an optical illusion from the angle of the photo. The coil is sitting squarely in the bracket.

Quoted from Manny65:

In test mode, does it work properly? Maybe post a video of the behaviour[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, it works in test, although so gently that you can arrest it with one finger.
I would gladly make a video but the real show happens during/after LITZ when the auto-plunge (and that diverter) gets a workout. That poor little diverter can't keep up in the mode and it completely flubs the post-mode reloading. Pretty much every ball that is auto-plunged collides with the lazy diverter, causing it to go only part way up the Spiral and then trickle back down and drain. This causes yet more confusion for the game. It's rare that, after LITZ, the game will right itself and start the next ball on cue. Perhaps I will try to reach LITZ with the phone in position to record the diverter. That will take some doing. Thanks for your help.

#11206 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The diverter coil has a nub (see first pic) that sits down in the bracket, yet it's more visible on your pic (see 2nd pic) than on my game - is the coil screwed down tightly? Also the coil doesn't look like it's sitting square as if it is slightly loose.
In test mode, does it work properly? Maybe post a video of the behaviour[quoted image][quoted image]

I would gladly replace whatever parts of this assembly are available. At first glance in places like Marco, I see only the coil and the Nyliner bushings. It's possible that - as LTG has theorized - the gap between the plate and the coil head is excessive for whatever reason. Perhaps the pocket in the bracket is missized. Perhaps the coil could be shifted forward with the addition of a washer or two between it and the bracket at the mounting screw. For the record though I don't like Mickey Mouse. Adding washers is Mickey Mouse. I will start by buying a new coil and the Nyliner bushings.

#11208 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yep take a video of it in test mode and then another one after LITZ (assuming you are running 9.4H you could simply do a LITZ practice - right?)

I would skip to the 40-second mark.

In test, repeat:

I said earlier that the diverter was working in test, but I was mistaken. It's always done this feeble flutter thing in test. What is this telling me? The coil isn't energizing properly, clearly, but why? The "power" wires to this coil also feed the auto-plunge coil, and that coil seems fine. The power to some of these coils originates at the Fliptronics board. Do I check the power wires to this coil for resistance, too?
Oh, and how do I "practice" LITZ with 9.4H? Can I get there in the service menu? To make this clip I set my game to ten balls and worked to LITZ over fifteen minutes or so.

#11213 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

1. Do you have any issue with the top orbit diverter (directing the ball to the gumball machine)?

Not that I've noticed.

Quoted from Manny65:

so you need to adjust the kickout mech to stop it from launching the ball over the diverter.

That coil is an AE-26-1200. I would like to replace it with a higher-resistance coil. I'm looking on this site for something suitable:
https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html
How about an AE-29-2000? Would this be about half the power of the 26-1200?

Quoted from Manny65:

1.Did you happen to do the test video, directly after LITZ sequence?

No. It acts like that hot or cold.

Quoted from Manny65:

1.Alternatively it might be a colder solder joint or broken wire

On the purple power wires or the control wire? These same purple/yellow wires supply other coils in the vicinity, so a bad cold-solder joint on the board would affect all of them, no?

Quoted from Manny65:

1.Weird that the diverter was working fine after LITZ but had an issue in test.

I disagree. The diverter struggles more or less with every actuation. It's hard to see in the clip but it gets bashed aside with every auto-plunge.

Quoted from Manny65:

1. As to how to practice LITZ - google is your friend (as I couldn't remember myself ) https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+I+%22practice%22+LITZ+with+9.4H

Thanks. I will look.

#11214 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

First, I would:
1. Add a little bit of graphite to where the gate arm goes through the nylon bushings

"Graphite"? What kind of product is this, exactly? Is it "dry" lube for bicycles? Is it a liquid that dries to a film?
How about this one?
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/automotive/automotive-accessories/keychains-accessories/graphite-tube-lock-lubricant/701577/p-1444432470287-c-7568.htm?tid=3526078624291395285&ipos=1

Quoted from Coyote:

Barely loosen the spring, touches at a time.

Loosen the return spring? How would one do that? It's either hooked on or not.

Quoted from Coyote:

On my game that's been used so much, after maybe a year or so, I need to add a little bit of graphite - otherwise the friction from the nylon bushings (OEM, original, have not replaced them) is too great for the coil to draw the gate open fast enough, just like yours there.

That would be lucky if just a dab of graphite at each of those bushings freed the mech. The way it behaves in test tells me there's more to it though. Am I wrong?
Thanks for your input.

#11215 2 years ago

Alternate Relay-Coil For Shooter-Lane Diverter?

Is it safe to try a lower-resistance relay-coil in place of the stock shooter-lane diverter relay-coil?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SZ-31-2000-DC

vs.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SZ-33-3000

Is the issue AC vs DC?

#11218 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yes, dry lube. Not a spray.

You, ah, stretch it slightly.

Coil test always fires ALL coils for a quarter of a second. In-game, the diverter is held on. There is a difference expected here. (Long pulse vs quick pulse.)

Got it. Thanks.
I will try the dry lube but I still think my coil is not energizing right.
I will replace it with a coil relay of slightly lower resistance.

#11226 2 years ago
Quoted from Portkey:

Pinbits 3rd magnet project help needed please.
Need some help on my third magnet install project. I want to be able to test and make sure it all works before putting it all back together and potentially having to take it apart again. Any direction you could provide would be SUPER! I have confirmed that I am running Home ROM 9.4H.
Here's what I've done: installed the pinbits kit using the instructions provided here http://iobium.com/third_magnet_project.htm. The third magnet works when I test it. Challenge I am having is in making sure the third magnet set of optos is working properly.
Challenge: The third magnet set of optos doesn't open/close when I test it under switch #82. If I take the newly installed opto transmitter and move it in line with the right lower magnet receiver, I can get switch 83 to trigger. Likewise if I take the new receiver and move it in line with the right lower magnet transmitter, and get switch 83 to trigger again. So it seems like both of the newly installed opto components work to trigger switch 83 if I move one of the them in line with the other side of the lower magnet opto pair, I just can't get the newly installed upper opto pair to trigger a switch in the switch matrix when I line them up with each other to make sure they are working properly as intended for the third magnet ball.
Any help / clues? I was under the impression that by connecting the optos as described by Pinbits on this page would make it all work. http://iobium.com/adding_the_new_opto_harness.htm
Maybe his design doesn't allow you to test the new opto pair on switch 82? If not, how can I make sure it is working properly?

Wow.
That looks like a cool/challenging project.
LTG has a sample TZ with the third magnet, but, to be honest, I didn't really understand what it does and when it does it until I tracked down some tests on YouTube!
You get high marks for tackling the conversion. Good work!
I wish I could help you with the troubleshooting, but my only opto issue on TZ was resolved by simply replacing the left-magnet opto.

#11232 2 years ago

Please tell me where I might look for a sticker like this one.
Thanks.

1217F454-D3D4-482D-8F6A-6A8FAE5B8C14 (resized).jpeg1217F454-D3D4-482D-8F6A-6A8FAE5B8C14 (resized).jpeg
#11236 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

ebay.com link: itm
Google is your friend

Thanks!

Too bad the price is absurd. Guess I will just forget about adding this decal.

#11239 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Getting some limp launches out of the auto-plunge lane. Looks like it’s getting caught up on the one-way gate about 1/3 of the way up.

I often have this issue, too. The ball is colliding with something. I *think* it's hitting the rubber on the post that separates to the two lanes. That sends it careening/rattling through the lane until it stops near the right magnet and dribbles down. I should also mention that slop in the kicker could contribute to inconsistent launches. I went as far as replacing my kicker arm, pivot bracket, plunger, sleeve, and spring, in an effort to snug things up. I don't think it made much difference.

Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I think it’s the one way gate, maybe not operating as smoothly as it should.

I agree that the gate is troublesome. It affects the trajectory more than it should and there's not adjustability in that gate. Mine swings normally but it might be disturbing the auto-plunge and I know it disturbs the manual plunge by steering the ball into that same post rubber.

#11240 2 years ago

Coil Swapping: A Report

I'm having real trouble with the ball release kicker and the shooter lane diverter.
The diverter is feeble and can't get out of the way of the auto-plunged balls.
The kicker is too strong and punts the ball *over* the diverter occasionally.

In an effort to remedy these problems, I swapped in alternate coils. The stock diverter coil is a SZ-33-3000, which I replaced with a Z-31-2000. The stock kicker coil is an AE-26-1200 and I replaced it with a 29-2000.
Now the shooter lane diverter works a little better, although certainly not vigorously/precisely. It does move quickly enough to miss being struck by a launched ball. It could be better but I suspect I will just leave it.
Sadly, however, the ball release kicker still punts the ball clear over the diverter during the reload/reset phase after LITZ. I thought the 29-3000 would be much less powerful, but it's not. Why? Do I need to buy yet another coil? Oof!

If you look very carefully at the trough by the ball release, there is a tang that the ball rides along as it's released/kicked into the shooter lane. I wonder if that tang can be bent at all. If I could bend it to direct the ball more flat and less upward I might beat this kicker problem. Is that a terrible idea?

#11244 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

The game did get a little confused on where the balls were after and shot 2 into the shooter lane.
When the first ball drained, the game killed the flippers as it should and the second ball drained.

I have this issue, too.
Club members here have been helpful.
I swapped in a less powerful coil.
It hasn't helped.

#11248 2 years ago

Never to be Repeated!

One-flip Powerfield defeats:

Ball one:

First time on: one flip!
Second time on: one flip!
Third time on: one flip!

Drain.

Ball two:

First time on: one flip!

So, first four trips onto the Powerfield and four single-flip defeats! Imagine!

Maybe some of you veterans do that routinely, but I'm assuming I will never do even two in a row again.

#11250 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

Congrats! Reminds me of the time I accidentally got a perfect score on level one of Pac-Man. I got every ghost with every power pill, plus all the fruits that appeared. Wish I had captured it on video.

Nice work!
I don't really know Pac-Man. I recently saw photos of the hybrid Pac-Man pinball. The symmetrical layout looks pretty cool. In the Virtual version you can see that it affords lots of roll passes.

#11261 2 years ago

Extending LITZ?

Is there any way to extend LITZ in the settings on 9.4H?

Is there any way to add time to LITZ before- or during the mode?

#11264 2 years ago
Quoted from Bundy:

I am pretty sure there isn't a way to extend or add time to LITZ.

Tak, Bundy.

#11265 2 years ago

Switch wiring confusion:

Bought some new trough switches with the hopes of sorting my frequently confused game.
Replacement outhole switch has three lugs, while the stock switch has two and an odd bake-a-lite plate with a lug.
Second photo shows how I wired the replacement.
Same configuration?

C5596FBA-0509-47E7-9A31-247995DA58F5 (resized).jpegC5596FBA-0509-47E7-9A31-247995DA58F5 (resized).jpegF4F0AFF0-CF3C-462C-8E1A-5A051CC90D90 (resized).jpegF4F0AFF0-CF3C-462C-8E1A-5A051CC90D90 (resized).jpeg

28E0540A-D96B-4284-9D99-70C766FD3C35 (resized).jpeg28E0540A-D96B-4284-9D99-70C766FD3C35 (resized).jpeg
#11268 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Here - cut off your bottom lug and wire black end of the diode straight to the white wire.
Or that terminal on the bakelite side, solder the white wire and black end of diode to it. And the green wire and yellow wire to the lug on top.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the photos and guidance.
Sorry I missed your emailed photo.
Can't use the odd lugged plate with new (thicker) switch body as my screws wouldn't be long enough.
I will get back to this project tomorrow.

Added over 3 years ago:

Update:
Wired the outhole switch as advised and the the other four trough switches are they are working!
Thanks!

#11269 2 years ago

Impressions of TZ Gameplay From a First-time Owner:

I don't presume that readers here will care too much about one member's opinion, but I wanted to share my impressions of this game, for whatever that's worth.

Layout:
- Interesting, stress-me-out position of the dangerous/active pops low on the PF
- I wish there was a way to shoot the lock shot from the upper left flipper
- I love the smooth Spiral orbits
- I like the magnet "helpers" and am surprised they don't appear in other games. (Elwin uses up-posts for this purpose, perhaps because they add less to the B.O.M. than magnets would.)
- I wish there were more shots from the upper-right flipper. It would be clever if an upper-right-flipper shot to the 5M target just to the left of the Hitchhiker lane would award a double value, given how hard that shot is to time. I also wish a loop from the upper-right to the left Spiral were more geometrically aligned.
- I would also love to see a target nested in the right Spiral ballguide that could be struck by an upper-left-flipper shot through that channel just above the Slot Scoop island. That would be a great, needle-threading shot!

I will tackle the code in another post, but I want to voice the two MOST salient features of this game:

1. Chris Granner is a wonderful musician and his work here is the best I've ever heard in a pinball machine from any manufacturer. He's groovy. He's jazzy. He's so talented! Oh, and you get multiple compositions for the same mode, depending on whether you reach the mode before or after LITZ. (Fast-Lock is a great example.) GREAT sound effects, too! (Tallying Hitchhiker pickups is one heck of a sound!)

2. Much too much time is spent waiting for the ball to emerge from the subway! Too many sinkholes feeding the Slot Machine kickout. I haven't counted, but I would think I wait for and then juggle a ball kicked from that scoop at least fifty times per game. That's too many. The "bucket" diverter from the right ramp shot is another time suck. I had read about "stop-and-go" in TZ before I bought the game, and now I know what they were talking about. It's not a deal breaker, but I do find myself getting impatient waiting for the ball to return to the PF.

#11273 2 years ago

Lock Switch Confusion:

Well, it's been a few days since I had a credit dot, so my machine probably got uncomfortable and had to create another one - this time involving the lock.

The Test Report asks me to check the upper switch (opto) in the lock. Checking those optos really can't be done with fingers. You have to just load balls in there, one after another. When I do that, the results are as follows:

1. Ball one rolled into the lock: lower opto open
2. Ball two rolled into the lock: middle opto open
3. Ball three rolled into the lock: lower opto open

Like, what is going on here? Why would the lower opto open when the third ball is sitting in the path of the upper opto?

I do NOT want to pull that lock as that will require removing the clock and both ramps.

Update:
Bad news. Switch 85 is "open" without a ball in the upper part of the lock.
Guess I will I have to replace that opto. Fork!!!!!

Update 2:
Found the problem.
One side of the opto is out of position.
Not a simple fix as the right ramp's base shares this screw. I threaded the lock to accept a 8-32 machine screw to ensure a more solid perch for the ramp.
Not sure how I will deal with this.

62D96B71-41B8-4566-9D62-B401E6108C39 (resized).jpeg62D96B71-41B8-4566-9D62-B401E6108C39 (resized).jpeg

33103359-18E9-466E-96A4-A72D93895EF4 (resized).jpeg33103359-18E9-466E-96A4-A72D93895EF4 (resized).jpeg81B47D14-E9AC-4500-864A-4230E02158F1 (resized).jpeg81B47D14-E9AC-4500-864A-4230E02158F1 (resized).jpeg
#11275 2 years ago
Quoted from cconway84:

Twilight zone blacked out with rainbows end prismatic metallic. Looks mostly black with flake indoors but shows it’s rainbow effect when it catches the light.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's some dope powder there!
Nice job!

#11278 2 years ago

Crooked auto-Fire: can it be fixed?

My auto-fire kicker sends the ball careening up the lane, bouncing off the walls and often running into the post bumper that separates the two lanes, mucking up the ball's trajectory, etc.

I've rebuilt this kicker but that's not its problem. Something is out of alignment although it's not visible to the naked eye. I can't experiment with alternate alignments as the pivot bracket has only one, fixed position, as does the coil bracket. The kicker arm is original, straight, and appears to be fine. The coil and its bracket are also stock and look fine. What is a smart way to sort this? Do I remove the pivot bracket, fill the holes with glue-slathered dowels, and then drill new mounting holes just a few degrees away? I spoke to LTG about this. He said I was asking for trouble by chasing perfection. I don't think asking your TZ to auto-fire straight up the lane reliably is chasing perfection. I would say it's demanding basic functionality, no? It sucks when the game tries to auto-fire the ball but it ends up dribbling back down the right Spiral because it collided with too many things in the lane.

#11282 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

what I finally did was to construct a transparent ball guide out of polycarbonate plastic.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I would rather find a solution that doesn't require installing a significant "mod" like that. I my book, the game needs to work as designed in stock trim.

After looking carefully at the action of that kicker arm, I realized I had two ways to affect a change on the motion:

The angle of the stud on the pivot bracket; and the Z-bracket that holds the coil.

I took the pivot bracket out and used a vice/crescent wrench to carefully bend the tang that holds the pivot stud. This can correct deflection in any axis if done right. I also put the z-bracket in the vice (sans coil) and put some "wind" in it, thereby moving the coil more squarely beneath the kicker arm.

What I learned from numerous attempts is that a perfectly aligned kicker arm doesn't translate to a perfect auto-fire. There are too many variables at play for me to tell you exactly how to solve this problem, but at the very least I wanted to share with this group that these two "controls" are significant if you want to make the adjustment yourself.

Oh, and I want to make clear that the *last* thing I suggest is to hog out the mounting holes on these parts to move them into more desirable positions. Parts with larger-than-necessary mounting holes never stay put! They will eventually migrate out of position and you will end up stuck in a cycle of returning them to position and retightening their mounting screws. No fun!
kicker.bracket (resized).jpgkicker.bracket (resized).jpgz.bracket (resized).jpgz.bracket (resized).jpg

#11287 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

It boils down to the unfortunate fact that the game has no routed-out ball guide in that lane because the ball must traverse it to get to the regular shooter lane. The result is a level of randomness which degrades into outright failure to make the orbit as parts wear.

That's a very good point: no full-length groove in the lane to guide the ball!
Ironically, my ball-release kicker punts the ball from the trough clear over to the shooter lane. The ball never touches the auto-fire lane! I could carve - if I were crazy! - a groove in that lane to help steer the auto-fire and it wouldn't affect the ball release!

#11288 2 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I'm building a topper for it right now. Vids coming soon....
[quoted image]

That is a large Robby the Robot!
I hope you're going to animate him. Make him wave his hands about like the DMD. Easy, right?
You got this!

#11289 2 years ago

Fosbury Flop!

My ball-release kicker sends the ball clear *over* the diverter and into the shooter lane. This is a real problem when the ball is supposed to be diverted into the auto-fire lane.
The stock coil is a 26-1200. I replaced it with a 29-2000 (33 Ohms). The ball still cleared the diverter. I then replaced the 29-2000 with a 30-3000, the highest resistance (69 Ohms) coil I could find, but even that is too powerful. These coils aren't cheap, so buying replacements one after another is not sustainable. There are coils that have dual power ratings depending on which lugs you choose when wiring them. For example:

https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-aq-25-50034-5050-flipper-coil.html

Is that my next coil?

I do have another idea though, and it's a mechanical one:

What if I laid a "plug" inside the coil sleeve to limit the plunger's range of motion within the coil? Ordinarily the plunger will move within the coil until it comes to rest against the stop, but if I laid, say, a 3/4" piece of neatly/squarely cut plunger inside the sleeve before inserting the plunger, I would effectively limit the plunge by 3/4", scrubbing some of its power. Are you with me? Is there anything terribly wrong with this idea?
302F7725-B682-4D12-9365-D0A852F3F8B9 (resized).jpeg302F7725-B682-4D12-9365-D0A852F3F8B9 (resized).jpeg

#11292 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Have you tried adjusting the top tab on the trough exit or looked at the kickout mech itself? Are they the correct original part and not worn/broken?

Hi, Manny. Thanks for responding.
Yes, I've tried bending/rebending/rebending the tang that is part of the trough housing that guides the ball as it's released. I've also tried bending the "roof" tang on said housing downward to cap the ball as it exits, but that tang isn't really long enough influence the exit. My kicker armature is stock and in great shape. I replaced the pivot bracket with a new OEM one from Marco just to ensure I would have as little slop in the kicker motion as possible. There is no binding, nothing out of the ordinary. The tip of the kicker meets the ball at precisely the south pole so it gives it the proper heave. I do *not* wish to bend this kicker arm to make it glance the ball.

#11293 2 years ago
Quoted from kevinleedrum:

When my TZ releases a ball, the ball takes a very leisurely stroll to the shooter lane.

I'm jealous!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 22.50
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 132.00
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 9.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

271 posts in this topic match your search for posts by jason_jehosaphat. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jason_jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.